Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think Blackett is very good on the ball his passing range is very good. The fact he has to hoof a few balls is the fact nobody is showing for it in midfield he is very composed on the ball.

Evans for me is the puzzling one i would have said his passing and bringing the ball out of defence was one of his biggest assets but he has been passing awfully.

On Jones lads he is really standing up and marshalling the defence hope he can keep up the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

adox wrote: »
    Ha. Come back at the end of the season and let's see what you have to say.

That was Burnley they were playing today. How many times did they make the goalkeeper work?

Rooney is the type of player that doesn't age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Blackett has been one of the few good points so far this season. Considering he only made his debut 2 weeks ago and has been landed in the middle of a mess, he has done well. Evans should be ashamed when he looks at himself and how Blackett has played. Evans was absolutely horrific. Rooney Van Persie and Mata were anonymous, Fletcher tried but he doesnt have it anymore especially with no CM around him. Young and Valencia need to be gotten rid of. Di Maria was our only attacking threat and will be money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just flicked on the City match and it really is chalk and cheese with the speed and quality of passing... it will take a while but I'm confident we will be back to this level under LVG

Headshot wrote: »
    Im not that worried lands. Im disappointed of course but we have injuries and a new style of playing. Its going to take time. We just have to keep the faith

I can see us going on a great run in the second half of the season the question is will we be too far back at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The problem lies in the fact that we don't like to be pressed on the ball. We can't start any attacks because Burnley were all over us breaking down any flow that we could have. If midfield dropped short to get it, they would pass it back due to pressure or hid from it. Hence a lot of long balls that played straight into Burnley's hands.

The same will happen with QPR in a couple of weeks with Arry shouting "PRESS PRESS PRESS". We are to predictable at the moment.

Also we have too many passengers in our team at the moment. Fletcher, Mata and Valencia afford absolutely nothing again today. I was more in hope that one of Valencia's "crosses" would take a wicked deflection and drop kindly for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ha. Come back at the end of the season and let's see what you have to say.

I won't be regardless just pointing out the bloody obvious. RVP and rooney don't even work well as a partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Im not that worried lands. Im disappointed of course but we have injuries and a new style of playing. Its going to take time. We just have to keep the faith

I'm genuinely worried if we keep playing the 3-5-2 formation. With a fully fit squad we might have an 11 that will work with that formation but I think it will fall apart whenever we have a few injuries. The lack of chances created in all our games since the start of the season is also very worrying. Surely if a system is so great it should result in plenty of chances, even with a second string team, but that hasn't happened so far. It's a shame there's such a long break until our next match but at least it gives time for some of the injured players to get fit again. I'm sure things will change for the better but our perfomances are painful to watch at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Remy 8m to Chelsea and Song to west ham on loan

Still bargains out there. Why can't we do business like that? Nether are world beaters but would be great for the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Trilla wrote: »

Still bargains out there. Why can't we do business like that? Nether are world beaters but would be great for the squad

blind was got at a decent price no?

• Advertisement

And Cleverly to Villa at 9m. Oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That was Burnley they were playing today. How many times did they make the goalkeeper work?

So that proves that they are a busted flush. As I said in my original reply come back at the end of the season instead of the hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah I have no doubt we will get sorted and be good later on in the season but we are so bad so early that I'm worried it will destroy our season before Christmas.

I'm blaming everyone at this stage. The players now have to really step up to the challenge now and Louis will hopefully go to his favoured 433 and give that a go cause the 523 is really not working.

God i'm still bulling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

For once I'm in agreement with you. I've never been fully convinced by LvG but he's said time and time again that his clubs tend to struggle in the first few months as players adapt to what he wants. When you add that to the enormous amount of injuries we've had it's a recipe for a poor start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ician wrote: »
    depends how stubborn LVG really is
    Giggs might use that when he takes over as caretaker around November

rob316 wrote: »
    I won't be regardless just pointing out the bloody obvious.

You aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

We will have to pay some club to take most of those ****ing wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

So that proves that they are a busted flush. As I said in my original reply come back at the end of the season instead of the hyperbole.

So you're saying they will be the best strike force in the league this season?

So you're saying they will be the best strike force in the league this season?

Where did I say that? I'm disagreeing that they are a "busted flush" "on the decline" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is Herrera injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Don't forget Alonso for 8m

Jesus i don't like Song but to see him move on loan to West Ham while we suffer watching Fletcher getting destroyed again makes my blood boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd U18s lost 4-0 as well but the U16s won 2-1, some hope then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pretty sure that Clev has a 10% sell on fee to go to Bradford when he is sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Giggs might use that when he takes over as caretaker around November
    It seems any time the camera cuts to LvG looking for some input from Giggs, all Ryan seems to do is shrug his shoulders with bewilderment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For once I'm in agreement with you. I've never been fully convinced by LvG but he's said time and time again that his clubs tend to struggle in the first few months as players adapt to what he wants. When you add that to the enormous amount of injuries we've had it's a recipe for a poor start.

You should always agree with me. Im always right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Oh the hysterics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I agree with Headshot with this manager, plus the fact only one of our new signings started today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Where did I say that? I'm disagreeing that they are a "busted flush" "on the decline" etc.

RVP is a class act on his day but that is a rare thing these days due to injuries, how is it unfair to say he isnt gone into decline? He's 31 ffs who has spent much of career on the treatment table.

Bar one season when has Rooney shown he can be the striker he is supposed to be? He's 28 now and his in his peak, he hasnt got much left.

A world class striker is what united need as much as a DM and couple of competent CB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Just have to be patient. It will get a lot better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm still with Van Gaal but making Rooney captain was a big error in judgement.

rob316 wrote: »
    RVP is a class act on his day but that is a rare thing these days due to injuries, how is it unfair to say he isnt gone into decline? He's 31 ffs who has spent much of career on the treatment table.

Bar one season when has Rooney shown he can be the striker he is supposed to be? He's 28 now and his in his peak, he hasnt got much left.

A world class striker is what united need as much as a DM and couple of competent CB's.

Wilson is a world class striker in the making he will do in the next season or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm still with Van Gaal but making Rooney captain was a big error in judgement.

Not a great selection to be fair but your right Rooney shouldnt be captain or for me at the club

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Jesus i don't like Song but to see him move on loan to West Ham while we suffer watching Fletcher getting destroyed again makes my blood boil.

The reality is he'd be really limited for game time once injuries are fixed up; DiMaria, Herrera and Blind will likely all be ahead of him, with Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher and Anderson (shiver) competing as well.

I'd say now we need to focus on CB ahead of CM, and possibly even looking for a long term replacement for RVP and Rooney now too; a 22 or 23 year old who could be THE man in the next season or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

For me, its your mad system, 3 at the back! Goes against the whole culture of Utd. The time to experiment is when you have players capable of playing that system. Stick to your strengths and get a few wins under your belt and the confidence will return.
    Still I cant see you not winning your next game, at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

If Moyes had spent this money with these result they'd be burning shirts outside Old Trafford

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The reality is he'd be really limited for game time once injuries are fixed up; DiMaria, Herrera and Blind will likely all be ahead of him, with Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher and Anderson (shiver) competing as well.

I'd say now we need to focus on CB ahead of CM, and possibly even looking for a long term replacement for RVP and Rooney now too; a 22 or 23 year old who could be THE man in the next season or two.

Look for basically free on a loan he is proven in the premiership and is better than everyone bar Di Maria and Herrera and Blind maybe i don't know.

Bayern and Madrid have about 40 good cm players we good do with a few more.

For me, its your mad system, 3 at the back! Goes against the whole culture of Utd. The time to experiment is when you have players capable of playing that system. Stick to your strengths and get a few wins under your belt and the confidence will return.
    Still I cant see you not winning your next game, at home.

I have no problem with the 3-5-2 if Rafael and Shaw are playing it suits them but it is mind boggling when your putting terrible wingers in the formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Tend to disagree on rvp and Rooney. They are world class when they get proper service. Any striker in the world would have looked dirt today.

I do agree with you about CB. Should be a priority to get someone in before Monday night. Evans and smalling have been shocking so far. Jones has done very well.

keano25 wrote: »
    If Moyes had spent this money with these result they'd be burning shirts outside Old Trafford

Moyes was given plenty of time. Let's wait till Christmas until we start assuming what fans would do. Besides Dithering Dave probably would still be analysing Di Maria at this stage and the deal would never be done.

• Advertisement

Moyes, to be blunt, didn't have the CV to back him up LVG does. LVG can point to previous successes and go "I said it would be rough, but here's what I can achieve."

Moyes would be looking sheepish and saying "hopefully things get better!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Moyes, to be blunt, didn't have the CV to back him up LVG does. LVG can point to previous successes and go "I said it would be rough, but here's what I can achieve."

Moyes had a full squad of players to pick from and a formation not that different to what was there already too.
    There's obvious teething problems at the moment but I'll be reserving judgement until LvG can field a team even close to his best 11 and either players have gotten accustomed to the new setup or he changes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Well the best manager the world has ever seen, saw something in him.

And if at any stage he decides to let us know what that is, I'll be thrilled to get an explanation for that endorsement...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That still wouldn't mean it is the right thing to do. A lot of fans last year were quite patient with Moyes, there were some that were not though.

The main difference I find this year is VG is changing the team a lot, it will take time. He's changing playing style, formation and players. It won't just click straight away. It will take time and patience.

I don't like when people say "If Moyes did this.." as a way to criticise VG. This has very little to do with what Moyes would do its about what VG is doing at the moment. There won't be a overnight change.

You will find most people publicly complaining about VG and questioning his future here if the poor form continues to December, but at this moment I think most are using their common sense that time is needed.

Third game into the season. Transfer window still open. Only one of his new signings playing today and something like 10 injuries. I'd wait a while until getting annoyed with the job he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I have no problem with the 3-5-2 if Rafael and Shaw are playing it suits them but it is mind boggling when your putting terrible wingers in the formation.

Injuries aside, someone tell me the advantage of having three of our CBs on the field as opposed to having two CBs split wide and have a midfielder, i.e. Blind/Carrick, drop deep.

Nobody is perfect.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Injuries aside, someone tell me the advantage of having three of our CBs on the field as opposed to having two CBs split wide and have a midfielder, i.e. Blind/Carrick, drop deep.

It;s a system perfect for two good attacking full backs and fits in Mata, Rooney and RVP. The problem is the midfield is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

And in Bebe, Anderson, Djemba-Djemba, Taibi, Kleberson etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

It;s a system perfect for two good attacking full backs and fits in Mata, Rooney and RVP. The problem is the midfield is horrible.

City/Liverpool/Chelsea full backs get forward plenty in a back four.

If LVG insists on having Mata/Rooney/RVP then go with 4-3-1-2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement