Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can't bloomin' wait for the QPR game now, hopefully most of these injuries will be sorted by then...
    De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    ---- Herrera - Blind ----
    Januzaj - Mata - DiMaria
    V.Persie --- Rooney

Rafa and Adnan on the right, Shaw and Di Maria on the right...

Use your fingers now :P might face problems of we played that team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be confident of staying up if we could play 12 players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are we getting a +1 handicap?
    magnumbud wrote: »
    That would give us a great chance of winning 12 v 11 is a fantastic tactic
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Use your fingers now :P might face problems of we played that team...

In light of recent performances, QPR said we can have an extra man. Didn't you guys hear?

I bet you feel right stupid now, don't ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

People keep commenting on LVG not going mad on the touch line but it's hardly fair of him to go screaming at the players about a playing style they don't fully understand yet. The problem for me is in a couple of months time they may be able to understand it, but won't be good enough to pull it off, and then we are fecked because January is a long way away.

If I had to pick the team against QPR I'd go 433

.................DDG............
    Raf.....Jones..Evans..Shaw
    ........Herrera...Blind..........
    Welbeck....Mata....Di Maria
    ................Rooney............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I be confident of staying up if we could play 12 players

O Rly?

Ben Amos

Jones--Smalling---Evans

Young
    Valencia

Fletcher---Cleverley--Carrick

Anderson

Welbeck
    Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DDG
    Raf---??
    ??----Shaw
    Blind
    ---Hererra
    Di Maria--
    Mata
    Rooney
    RvP----

No idea who I would go with at centre back, Evans would have been a no brainer but he has been very poor since he has taken on the defensive leader mantle, maybe its just cause of his injury...... Jones and Evans probably

I want to see that tried against QPR

If he is going to persist in 532 then I find it hard to put everybody in the team

DDG
    --Jones---Evans--Rojo
    Raf
    Shaw
    Hererra--Blind

Mata
    ----Di Maria
    Rooney

Di Maria in a midfield two won't work for me so maybe Mata will make way? I can't see him dropping RvP just yet and if Rooney is captain he will be playing, he has dropped RvP before btw, so I think he would be capable of it, just don't see a reason right now.

Keno wrote: »
    O Rly?

Ben Amos

Jones--Smalling---Evans

Young
    Valencia

Fletcher---Cleverley--Carrick

Anderson

Welbeck
    Hernandez
    Well unless we have a serious injury crisis among epic proportions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Well.. that's a whole lotta nothin'.

Doesn't show him walking off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo (if he doesn't go to prison) - Shaw

Herrera - Carrick - Blind

Januzaj - Van Persie - Di Maria

Or...
    De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw

Herrera - Mata - Carrick/Blind

Abandon the 3-5-2 silliness.

J. Marston wrote: »
    De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo (if he doesn't go to prison) - Shaw

Herrera - Carrick - Blind

Or...
    De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw

Herrera - Mata - Carrick/Blind

Abandon the 3-5-2 silliness.
    Don't think Carrick is back until October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If we can revert back to 4 at the back and get 2 decent midfielders fit, i.e. Carrick/Blind and Herrera then Di Maria can be the advanced 3rd centre mid with a combination of Mata, Rooney and RVP or Januzaj for one of those to give it a different look at times

Maybe he plans to keep the 4312/532 and use Daley Blind as the left sided centre back so that if he wants to switch the system to 4 at the back he can push him into midfield

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The only real difference in the 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 is the centre back that moves to midfield. A centre back should be pushing towards midfield anyway when its three at the back while if its three in midfield a midfield player is going to be dropping back towards defence.

Its personnel and the players getting used keeping the ball, moving the ball and finding spaces that will make the difference. Getting Rojo, Herrera, Shaw, Blind in will be massive on its own so that is step one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I actually just don't think Mata, Rooney and RVP can play in the same team without some level of shoehorning. Has LvG got the balls to drop one of them? 433 means one of those dropping out or being shunted out wide.

I genuinely believe 352 is out the window after international break. He's got Di Maria now and I just can't see him playing in a narrow 433 as part of the midfield 3.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I actually just don't think Mata, Rooney and RVP can play in the same team without some level of shoehorning. Has LvG got the balls to drop one of them? 433 means one of those dropping out or being shunted out wide.

I genuinely believe 352 is out the window after international break. He's got Di Maria now and I just can't see him playing in a narrow 433 as part of the midfield 3.

No place for Mata imo. He's been poor so far this season and I'd be surprised if he isn't the one to be benched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I can't bloomin' wait for the QPR game now, hopefully most of these injuries will be sorted by then...
    De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    ---- Herrera - Blind ----
    Januzaj - Mata - DiMaria
    V.Persie --- Rooney

Rafa and Adnan on the right, Shaw and Di Maria on the right...

drool.gif

when did fifa pass a law allowing 12 players????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

So with Blind coming in, I still think 1 more to come in too.....

Who do we see leaving in the next few days? Anyone want to speculate as to some surprise faces leaving????

Will we really see Young, Kag, Ando, Clev and more????

I don't think he will shunt them out wide, Van Gaals 4-3-3 would see the three forwards play relatively narrow with the full backs still providing the real width, not the 4-5-1 we often see. He would have Di Maria as one of his three cms or maybe even Mata pushing wide if Di Maria was not available. Mata used to play left midfield anyway so there is no issue there imo.

Di Maria plays in midfield for Argentina and did it for Real last season allowing Ronaldo or Bale to get into the box when he burst forward in attack towards the left after starting in a narrow position.

Also its a massive yes to the question is Van Gaal brave enough to drop a player. He dropped Van Persie when he got the Holland job for example and only put him back in when he felt Robin proved him wrong, brave enough to make a big decision and brave enough to admit he was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

brinty wrote: »
    when did fifa pass a law allowing 12 players????

Few days ago.......

Apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's on, waving goodbye to the fans and to our agent in the crowd :)

safvidalsnkuc.gif

• Advertisement

Twitter exploding with Vidal...

Off to Bayern then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seriously doubt there is anything to be done with Vidal, Blind looked the back up to Vidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

zarquon wrote: »
    It's on, waving goodbye to the fans and to our agent in the crowd :)

safvidalsnkuc.gif

Missing the old man. Big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

brinty wrote: »
    Why are you posting this? It's meaningless.

When will people learn?

Twitter exploding with Vidal...

Off to Bayern then

Links??

Tell em brinty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Links??

To bayern?

I don't but he ain't going to us is he now?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

**** Vidal, I want Schneiderlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That Taylor tweet from earlier has got my hopes up again of another signing.

Just when I'd accepted that our business was done........

.......when will I ever learn?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't think he will shunt them out wide, Van Gaals 4-3-3 would see the three forwards play relatively narrow with the full backs still providing the real width, not the 4-5-1 we often see. He would have Di Maria as one of his three cms or maybe even Mata pushing wide if Di Maria was not available. Mata used to play left midfield anyway so there is no issue there imo.

Di Maria plays in midfield for Argentina and did it for Real last season allowing Ronaldo or Bale to get into the box when he burst forward in attack towards the left after starting in a narrow position.

Also its a massive yes to the question is Van Gaal brave enough to drop a player. He dropped Van Persie when he got the Holland job for example and only put him back in when he felt Robin proved him wrong, brave enough to make a big decision and brave enough to admit he was wrong.

433 as you describe is way to narrow, for me a midfield 3 of Herrera, Carrick/Blind, Mata and then Januzaj and Di Maria on the wings with Rooney/Rvp up top is a lot more balanced than Blind/Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria with Mata, Rooney and RVP as the front three.

It is kind of tongue in cheek when I question LVGs manhood. I know he will make the hard calls. I think if he was going to play with Mata in behind two strikers then Kagawa would be kept in the event of an injury to Mata.

352 cant be a long term goal. Juve played 352 with a midfield in the top 3 of world football and could only get so far in the champions league. It's not a feasible formation long term and we don't have Pogba and Vidal to make it work. If he switches to 433 and plays Mata Rooney and RVP we will be way too narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only name I'm seeing being linked with Utd is De Jong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

So with Blind coming in, I still think 1 more to come in too.....

Who do we see leaving in the next few days? Anyone want to speculate as to some surprise faces leaving????

Will we really see Young, Kag, Ando, Clev and more????

Think van gaal likes young. Not sure who would take and. Depending on who goes I could see 2-3 coming in. If both chico and welbeck go a a striker plus a cm and possibly another defender.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Only name I'm seeing being linked with Utd is De Jong.

If we hadn't signed Blind I'd be happy with De Jong but both in my opinion are only stopgaps until a real world class alternative can be found.

Once we have rafeal and shaw, they provide the width.

It stretches the opposition and creates space for the central players.

I'm going to be patient. I think it will take a couple of months to get things right. I'm more than happy to wait Months. Happy even if we don't get CL.

LVG is building something that might last for the next ten years. We are seeing the first awkward steps of a new man utd.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the likes of Rojo, blind, Di Maria, Herrera, jones and de gae lifting the CL trophy in the future.

433 as you describe is way to narrow, for me a midfield 3 of Herrera, Carrick/Blind, Mata and then Januzaj and Di Maria on the wings with Rooney/Rvp up top is a lot more balanced than Blind/Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria with Mata, Rooney and RVP as the front three.

It is kind of tongue in cheek when I question LVGs manhood. I know he will make the hard calls. I think if he was going to play with Mata in behind two strikers then Kagawa would be kept in the event of an injury to Mata.

352 cant be a long term goal. Juve played 352 with a midfield in the top 3 of world football and could only get so far in the champions league. It's not a feasible formation long term and we don't have Pogba and Vidal to make it work. If he switches to 433 and plays Mata Rooney and RVP we will be way too narrow.

But its not narrow if the full backs are getting forward like they should and United are controlling possession in most games, like they should. Its the type of play that is designed to maxise the opportunities for forwards to move around into space instead of encouraging players to play in straight lines.

It will still allow players to get wide but if Van Gaal wants good quick interplay between likes of Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, RVP and Januzaj they need to be close to each other. United need to get speed of ball movement into the game. Madrid are exciting playing this way, Bayern were the season before last.

Once we have rafeal and shaw, they provide the width.

It stretches the opposition and creates space for the central players.

I'm going to be patient. I think it will take a couple of months to get things right. I'm more than happy to wait Months. Happy even if we don't get CL.

LVG is building something that might last for the next ten years. We are seeing the first awkward steps of a new man utd.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the likes of Rojo, blind, Di Maria, Herrera, jones and de gea lifting the CL trophy in the future.

Love the positivity in this post. I really hope your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Fergie made the right call dropping Rooney for Rvp and making the team hard to beat.

Mata wouldn't work in Fergie's system either.

United were dogged in Fergie's last few years.

So easy to beat now

• Advertisement

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=4sx99

This would throw the opposition off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Fergie made the right call dropping Rooney for Rvp and making the team hard to beat.

Mata wouldn't work in Fergie's system either.

United were dogged in Fergie's last few years.

So easy to beat now

I think fergie never got over being held to ransom, having rvp was an easy way to stick it to Rooney.

twam2008 wrote: »
    **** Vidal, I want Schneiderlin!

Whatever about the first part it is a surprise that Schneiderlain is still with Southampton. He is a better player and prospect than some of the players that left ahead of him.

Love the positivity in this post. I really hope your right

I think if you look at the perspective, imagine changing the way man utd play. The mentality. It's huge. Aswell as rebuilding the squad at the same time.
    And dealing with an injury crisis. Is it any surprise that it's been poor.

It kinda smacks of the way LVG changed bayern.

Look at them now....

But its not narrow if the full backs are getting forward like they should and United are controlling possession in most games, like they should. Its the type of play that is designed to maxise the opportunities for forwards to move around into space instead of encouraging players to play in straight lines.

It will still allow players to get wide but if Van Gaal wants good quick interplay between likes of Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, RVP and Januzaj they need to be close to each other. United need to get speed of ball movement into the game. Madrid are exciting playing this way, Bayern were the season before last.

Madrid played that way with Bale and Ronaldo wide of Benzema. Bayern with Ribery and Robben wide of Mandzukic. Neither team had a specfic attacking midfielder ala Mata.

Plus if we got a flat back four there is only so much of an impact the fullbacks can have attacking if we are playing narrow. They are the only width in the team, most good attacking full backs are good because they offer support on the overlap. The narrow system basically requires your full back to be able to beat a man. Rafael and Shaw are quality full backs but wingers they are not.

Whatever about the first part it is a surprise that Schneiderlain is still with Southampton. He is a better player and prospect than some of the players that left ahead of him.

He submitted a request, they said no so thats about it really

Madrid played that way with Bale and Ronaldo wide of Benzema. Bayern with Ribery and Robben wide of Mandzukic. Neither team had a specfic attacking midfielder ala Mata.

Plus if we got a flat back four there is only so much of an impact the fullbacks can have attacking if we are playing narrow. They are the only width in the team, most good attacking full backs are good because they offer support on the overlap. The narrow system basically requires your full back to be able to beat a man. Rafael and Shaw are quality full backs but wingers they are not.

Raf is more then capable of beating a man, I am sure Shaw is well able also with his pace alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

kryogen wrote: »
    http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=4sx99

This would throw the opposition off :P

Is there even a defence in that squad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Went out on the beer after that absolute travesty earlier. Any news??

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

It was slightly tongue and cheek and aimed at some who felt Schneiderlin wasn't up to our high standards, think he would have offered something against Burnley today, just watched him being interviewed after today's game, and he clearly wants out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement