Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

twam2008 wrote: »
    I've a couple of Everton mates, and they didn't want him. He is quite an inconsistent player.

A bonkers price to pay for him alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

you know much about tyres, noodles and non alcoholic bear? if so...

you will fit the job perfectly :pac:

I love my yogurt, Muller it is....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Do ye think Utd missed a trick with Garay?
    Like Herrera and Shaw he was a player heavily linked in Moyes time. Wasn't his fee to Zenit only something like 15m too?

No use crying over spilt milk but he would have ticked a lot of boxes.

Ah sure my regret will be redundant shortly anyways in 2 weeks time when he have 3 top players brought in :pac:

Yeah he was very good value. But if we get Benatia for some sort of sane price then it's all good.

All the Garay links last year came from one Portuguese newspaper and the player himself btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

we need pace: Di Maria or Cuadrado( more getable for less money)

Box to box midfielder: Vidal or Strootman in January

Defenders: Benatia( not looing good atm looks to be joining Bayern) Rojo maybe he has the physicality to play in the Premier League. Blind I wouldn't like to see join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He isn't an out an out striker, I reckon he would score 15-20 goals from the midfield.

No protection from the midfield though. He his best as an out and out striker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

wadacrack wrote: »
    we need pace: Di Maria or Cuadrado( more getable for less money)

Box to box midfielder: Vidal or Strootman in January

Defenders: Benatia( not looing good atm looks to be joining Bayern) Rojo maybe he has the physicality to play in the Premier League. Blind I wouldn't like to see join

Any reason for not wanting blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I think Blind looks class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Could cover LB and DM. Always nice to have utility players

irishfeen wrote: »
    It's ironic how Sir Alex Fergusons stature as a manager is growing day by day as United's decline sets in... Was talking to a Spanish mate who is a big Real supporter today and he cannot believe how far United have slipped since he left (he even said if this was Real there probably would be rioting on the streets) - this for the most is the team that ran RM so very close in Fergusons last campaign.

He and his circle of buddy's who go to the matches could not understand how Ferguson over the years used to turn relatively cheap, good players (even sometimes average players) into league and even CL winners - they thought he just got rather lucky with the standard of the PL/CL for years. They now after seeing how things have fell apart since absolutely laud SAF for what he achieved at United - every time we fall in stature SAFs statute rises.

There's no doubt that Fergie was one of the best managers of all time and got more out of his squads than 99% of managers could have. But, if the Spanish lads used to only think that Fergie was getting lucky with the quality of the opposition and that United only had good and average players, then their opinions really aren't worth paying attention to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I would also love if we got Blind. Cracking player and covers a lot of ground.

twam2008 wrote: »
    I've a couple of Everton mates, and they didn't want him. He is quite an inconsistent player.

Still only 21 I'd expect that to come with time.

Lads, what about trying for Pogba

Lolsers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hococop wrote: »
    Any reason for not wanting blind?

I would guess that Blind's comments about not being fussed on the physicality of the English game would make a few people doubtful on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Pro. F wrote: »
    There's no doubt that Fergie was one of the best managers of all time and got more out of his squads than 99% of managers could have. But, if the Spanish lads used to only think that Fergie was getting lucky with the quality of the opposition and that United only had good and average players, then their opinions really aren't worth paying attention to.
    Aye possibly so, I think though that they meant that of the 11 players and the greater squad a few would be seen a good but not world class players by any means in the eye of the footballing world.

United breaking their transfer record with Mata is also brought up a lot as absolutely unbelievable (cheap c.unts he called us :) .. Ha how learning English in Cork has helped him) ...

As I said your probably right in saying their opinion is probably wrong but that's what some lads think on the continent at least about United.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

I'm baffled as to how we haven't signed needed players, not just this window but the previous 3 or 4. We have a gaping hole in midfield. I can tell you that and I have zero management or coaching experience. The players we have are not good enough. How can the club not see this?

This is not a reaction to yesterday, this is how the team is in general. We have essentially no midfield aside from Herrera who looks good and Carrick. That is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Aye possibly so, I think though that they meant that of the 11 players and the greater squad a few would be seen a good but not world class players by any means in the eye of the footballing world.

United breaking their transfer record with Mata is also brought up a lot as absolutely unbelievable (cheap c.unts he called us :) .. Ha how learning English in Cork has helped him) ...

As I said your probably right in saying their opinion is probably wrong but that's what some lads think on the continent at least about United.

I'd still say that just shows how wrong the eye of the footballing world can be tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd still say that just shows how wrong the eye of the footballing world can be tbh.
    Again your probably right, it had been the case in England in particular that United teams/players of the past might not have gotten the recognition that they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

KH25 wrote: »
    I'm baffled as to how we haven't signed needed players, not just this window but the previous 3 or 4. We have a gaping hole in midfield. I can tell you that and I have zero management or coaching experience. The players we have are not good enough. How can the club not see this?

This is not a reaction to yesterday, this is how the team is in general. We have essentially no midfield aside from Herrera who looks good and Carrick. That is a disgrace.

Needed a left back, signed Shaw
    Needed a midfielder, signed Fellaini (I know I know but I havent given up on him yet) signed Herrera

Its not perfect but at least its progress...........

Still no idea why we let Buttner go. We still need a LB cos of that, and he'd probably have been decent as a LWB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

titan18 wrote: »
    Still no idea why we let Buttner go. We still need a LB cos of that, and he'd probably have been decent as a LWB

He didn't want to work with LVG.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    He didn't want to work with LVG.

Leaving him and Evra go, and only replacing one of them was stupid. Young could be decent as the LWB, but when we had to put him at LB yesterday, it was a disaster. Need someone who can actually cover that position

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

RVP and Rooney are going to have the season of their lives if we are to get top 4. Im feeling angry and worried of how this season will work out

I still think we'll sign three more players, maybe even four... I'm thinking a player to play the "Robben" role, hopefully Di Maria - a utility man, hopefully Blind - another wing back/winger - and a midfielder.
    Have we left it late? Yes, but if the delay was us going for the best rather than "good enough", then I'd rather wait the extra time.

I'm still feeling positive for the season as a whole, the next 2 weeks in the transfer market being extremely important. The team will need time to adapt to the new formation, but I have faith that it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Leaving him and Evra go, and only replacing one of them was stupid. Young could be decent as the LWB, but when we had to put him at LB yesterday, it was a disaster. Need someone who can actually cover that position

We got carried away with Young in pre season, End of the day it's Ashley Young ffs we've seen it before, Showed yesterday for the 2nd goal why it won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

He is no loss, never good enough, hopefully we will get Blind or Rojo.. Shaw will be the business.
    We will also get a CM and a CD.Fingers and every thing else crossed.

We need to offload Young, Nani, Anderson, Chico, and probably Fellani. GET ON WITH IT Woody........3 top class signings in. Sounds easy. ....... .. just to clarify. .... sarcasm. ....

secman wrote: »
    We need to offload Young, Nani, Anderson, Chico, and probably Fellani. GET ON WITH IT Woody........3 top class signings in. Sounds easy. .......

We can't offload them 4 out of that 5 played yesterday, Are injurys are always a disaster, Where not going to make 3 signings either you wouldn't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

18516-the-simpsons-abe-simpson-walks-in-and-out.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We need to offload Young, Nani, Anderson, Chico, and probably Fellani. GET ON WITH IT Woody........3 top class signings in. Sounds easy. .......

I'd keep Nani and offload Cleverley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's the plan change to playing a 5 a side league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

He is no loss, never good enough, hopefully we will get Blind or Rojo.. Shaw will be the business.
    We will also get a CM and a CD.Fingers and every thing else crossed.

he isnt top class like Shaw potentially is and Evra was, but id have rathered him in there as opposed to Young yesterday. he is a back up option and at the moment we could have done with him with alot of other options either injured or non existent on the left side.

by all means sell him, but surely with the others going, we could have kept on to him until end of window until we'd adequate signings to cover his departure.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What's the plan change to playing a 5 a side league.

4 of them hardly ever play FFS , we use these 5 plus € to get in 3 top class signings and possibly 2 squad players. Has to better , those 5 just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

18516-the-simpsons-abe-simpson-walks-in-and-out.gif

100% agree Maximus

he isnt top class like Shaw potentially is and Evra was, but id have rathered him in there as opposed to Young yesterday. he is a back up option and at the moment we could have done with him with alot of other options either injured or non existent on the left side.

by all means sell him, but surely with the others going, we could have kept on to him until end of window until we'd adequate signings to cover his departure.
    He slapped in a transfer request very soon sfter LVG was appointed. ....

4 of them hardly ever play FFS , we use these 5 plus € to get in 3 top class signings and possibly 2 squad players. Has to better , those 5 just not good enough.

You make it sound so easy, We can't even sign a player these days it seems never mind a complete overhaul.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    You makWITH

und so easy, We can't even sign a player these days it seems never mind a complete overhaul.

See my previous post.......... sarcasm was on view....... sounds easy. ....... I am as frustrated as many united fans..... Saturday was deja vu....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

He slapped in a transfer request very soon sfter LVG was appointed. ....

Any idea why he didn't wanna work with Lvg? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Something about him not playing him in the Dutch squad I think. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Think his view was that if LVG had no interest in him for the Dutch squad he wasn't going to take a liking to him now.

• Advertisement

Something about him not playing him in the Dutch squad I think. Could be wrong.

I think there was a quote at some point from Buttner claiming that he thought LvG didn't rate him because he'd been overlooked for the Dutch squad in favour of quite a few other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sacramento wrote: »
    I think there was a quote at some point from Buttner claiming that he thought LvG didn't rate him because he'd been overlooked for the Dutch squad in favour of quite a few other players.

Something along the lines of I was man of the match so many times for United yet he picked these other players over me if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Wow... just, wow.

Even by the incredibly low standards I hold this thread to I am still amazed by the topic of conversation atm.

I generally don't post that often in here, mostly use it during transfers windows to keep up with news and also to get an idea of the average United fans opinion but do feel compelled to post when some topics surface, and this by far takes the cake for how compelled I feel to way in.

Are we actually having a debate about the validity of signing Juan Mata? Honestly? I know I've had a few pints tonight but I'm pretty sure I'm reading things clearly.

Mata is without a doubt one of the top 5 players in England, and that is probably being conservative to be honest. I remember watching him play for Chelsea with such envy, thinking this is exactly what we need, a creative genious in between the midfield and attack. We've just never had this sort of player and it is exactly what is needed in the game today to thrive. When looking at him thinking how much I would love a "Mata type" never in my wildest dreams did I think we would actually end up with the genuine article. 21 goals and 34 assists in his last year with Chelsea, a 55 goal contribution, that is outrageous.

To judge him as potentially a flop solely on his United career to date is simply ridiculous because A) he has come into the club at the worst time possible in terms of the quality and standard of football being played, and B) because besides that he has been the stand out player in his time here anyway. If you judged any player at United based on the last 6 months alone then you would be doing their entire career a disservice because no one has performed near their best bar De Gea.

Who cares if Jose didn't rate him, quite simply he was wrong. Fergie left Pogba go, fell out with Stam, signed Bebe and apparently turned down James Rodriguez for a few million. The best get it wrong sometimes too. I remember watching Chelsea v Sunderland near the end of last season when they gave away a late penalty and effectively ended their title challenge. They got to the edge of the Sunderland box so often but had absolutey zero creativity or penetration, they were crying out for Mata that day. They lost the league cos they couldn't create clear chances against teams that sat back and defended, Mata would have created the spaces for them and won them the league in my opinion. In Mata's 2 years at the club he won the Fa cup, champions league and Uefa cup, last year they won nothing. Jose was wrong, simple as that, that argument holds no water for me.

And I get that the main problem that some have is that attacking players like Mata were signed while other key areas were ignored, but its not like the 2 options were mutually exclusive. We still could have signed a proper center mid or center back as well as Mata, but we simply didn't. There is absolutely zero indication that signing Mata prevented other players being signed. The club clearly has the finances to cover both.

And as for the argument that "signing Di Maria would be like adding a bar to the house to match the pool table while we still have no roof" (paraphrasing), at the end of the day I would happily wake up every morning covered in a bit of last nights drizzle if it meant I could get p!ssed and play pool all day after. But as I said in my previous paragraph, those 2 factors have no impact on the other.
    Our midfield is highly average while our attacking options are awesome, but our midfield isn't average because our attack is so good, some people don't seem to be grasping this simple distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Last thread lasted less than a month.

I'm predicting this one will last two weeks...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I predict two signings for this threads lifespan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Tom Cleverlys new contract and a GlazersOut sign in the Stretford End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Cleverly to Anderson, back to Evans, up to Vidal , wide to Di Maria, beautiful cross, wonderful header by Ronaldo

That was a tough defeat to accept against Swansea. There was fúck all on display to show some progression and separation between now and the days of Moyes.

It really is frustrating watching other clubs get deals done all around us, but we at United constantly seem to be 'preparing a bid' rather than getting the business done. We must be one of the most thorough clubs with our bid preparations.

I envision a man in a suit leading a life-sized document with the details of a bid on it to a room called the 'Preparation Chamber'. Upon leading the document into this temporary dwelling, the man says "This is where you can get ready and prepare yourself, we're hopefully going to be lodging you with a club named Roma for a boy named Benatia. He is a great talent, the kind we need to be invincible again, and your sacrifice will be vital in bringing him to us. Rome is one of the great cities of the world, steeped in the richest of histories, laden with breath-taking sights and culinary treasures to behold, you will love it. Take this time to avail of the Preparation Chamber's facilities to accept, adjust and prepare for your imminent future and then hit the red switch on the wall to let us know when you are prepared."

I am no longer confident in Ed's ability to get the footballing side of things done to the level which is required. I hope to be proved wrong in the coming days, but I've been telling myself "There's a signing coming now...any minute now" for about 5 weeks at this stage. I had a feeling that it would be out of the blue, in terms of the usual journos not seeing it until it was just about done i.e. Mata, Shaw and Herrera, so when news from credible sources suddenly broke of Rojo asking to leave his club and Benatia flying to Manchester, i thought 'this is it'.

Alas, none of these players are yet signed or even undergoing a medical at the club. Rojo has been lashed by his club and forced to apologise on the club's TV channel. Maybe if United payed a few extra million to appease Sporting Lisbon in their sadness that most of the fee will be going to third party owners it would see the deal done and a decent player secured.

Benatia - It seems several things could have happened to he who was supposed to be flying to Manchester...

1) He used the same airline that Woodward used to depart from Australia for 'urgent transfer business' last Summer.
    2) United were stingey with the transport of the player, and he is currently enduring a 36 hour stopover in Amsterdam Schipol courtesy of a budget flight from Rome.
    3) The flight and/or Benatia's attention was turned towards Munich.
    4) He is this week's 'Vidal'.

If reports are to be believed, United reckon that £30m is too steep a price. At this moment, Benatia is still not a United player.

Now, more than ever in the club's recent history it is important to splash out those extra few million to get these deals done. The club are staring down the barrel of another bleak season without vital signings. Plus, Woodward basically announced to the world that money is no object for United when it comes to transfers, and to "watch this space". Well in the meantime, clubs and players alike are finishing up their business and settling in for their new season, and as of now Manchester United still have big voids in the first eleven and are already 3 points adrift of their top 4 rivals in the new season.

We are one defeat away (Sunderland next weekend) from a horrifying start for LVG's United. I didn't think defeat to Swansea at home was possible but we saw how that went. This coming week will be telling - 5 weeks of integration leading to nothing but an uninspiring 2-1 home defeat to relegation potentials Swansea should be enough to show LVG exactly the state of the house he has moved into, and prompt him to urge Woodward to put his money where his mouth is and purchase important load-bearing repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cleverly to Anderson, back to Evans, up to Vidal , wide to Di Maria, beautiful cross, wonderful header by Ronaldo

In another universe this is probably happening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liam O wrote: »
    In another universe this is probably happening :(

There's no universe where Anderson isn't out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

I see we're being linked with Mexes now. He is useless. Better off with Blackett than buying mercenaries like mexes or de jong or eto.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement