Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

beno619 wrote: »
    Mata will always have a place in LVG's systems, he always has a #10.

If it's 433 Rooney or RVP will and should be benched, no shoehorning crap.

Mata is suffering from the hole in our midfield.

If Herrera had a solid DM beside him, he would link with Mata like a champ. But he doesnt, he has Fletcher, Carrick or Fellaini and none of them can do that job to the level that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I've always had a soft spot for Kagawa and would like to see him get a good run of games as a number 10, which he hasn't had before.

He's got the pace Mata doesn't have and I don't think the rest of his games is too far off either. I could be wrong though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You pay too much attention to tabloid headlines.
    And what's with the 6 point lead ???

Didn't you hear? We lost next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Khedira would be an excellent signing. No doubt we have some ludicrous reason to pass on him. Seeing Fabregas' performance last night was particularly delightful from a United perspective. The whole situation is laughable.

Didn't see game last night. I take it Fabergas was top drawer

Robson99 wrote: »

Take time out of your day to sit down, grab a box of tissues and watch his assist for the second Chelsea goal. I've a chubby writing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We're staring down the barrel of giving the field a six point head start.The situation is dire. We are the club that needs to do the most business and we have done the least. It's criminal. I could genuinely see Van Gaal walking.

ah stop will ya, who are you trying to be eamon dunphy?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Because I expect us to lose to Sunderland. We are in huge trouble.

You expect us to lose to Sunderland.. Right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If Herrera had a solid DM beside him, he would link with Mata like a champ. But he doesnt, he has Fletcher, Carrick or Fellaini and none of them can do that job to the level that is required.

I hoped Fletcher could make a comeback but he's not good enough to be Herrera' partner.

I wouldn't completely rule out Fellaini and Carrick and assuming we don't bring anyone in hopefully they can step up.

I'm not his biggest fan but Khedirah would be a no brainer but there are lots of players out there that would cost < 30m and fix our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

MagicIRL wrote: »

Also if Herrera had a CB who had the guts to pass to him, might help as well. Herrera dropped into the pocket in front of defence numerous times v. Swansea but the defenders hadn't the skill/confidence to pass the ball forwards to him, between two players pressing.

United's defenders kept moving the ball from side to side, did so slowly and this along with no quality DM and an awful lack of pace in the team are killing United's performance level.

Pace would make the opposition defence drop off for fear of a ball behind them and open up space in midfield. Unless Welbeck is playing, defences don't have to worry about any pace from United and Welbeck isn't the long term solution to this issue either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,373 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We need a few positions, even after signing Rojo, but if we don't sign a combative midfielder to partner Herrera than the other positions won't really matter, imo - if the central midfield remains broken, the rest of the team won't function.

Vidal, Carvalho, De Jong, Strootman - we need someone who will get the fecking work done.

I've always had a soft spot for Kagawa and would like to see him get a good run of games as a number 10, which he hasn't had before.

He's got the pace Mata doesn't have and I don't think the rest of his games is too far off either. I could be wrong though.

I'd expect him to start the Carling Cup game, depending on how Mata plays this weekend he'll have a chance to stake his claim, Both him and Mata had solid pre season's.

Also if Herrera had a CB who had the guts to pass to him, might help as well. Herrera dropped into the pocket in front of defence numerous times v. Swansea but the defenders hadn't the skill/confidence to pass the ball forwards to him, between two players pressing.

United's defenders kept moving the ball from side to side, did so slowly and this along with no quality DM and an awful lack of pace in the team are killing United's performance level.

Pace would make the opposition defence drop off for fear of a ball behind them and open up space in midfield. Unless Welbeck is playing, defences don't have to worry about any pace from United and Welbeck isn't the long term solution to this issue either.

I'd a agree with most of this, hopefully the confidence will grow with Smalling and Jones because Blackett has bucketloads.

I disagree on Welbeck if he didn't get injured he could have laid down a marker to RVP. I would definitely consider him a long term option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We're staring down the barrel of giving the field a six point head start.The situation is dire. We are the club that needs to do the most business and we have done the least. It's criminal. I could genuinely see Van Gaal walking.

ijkhda.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We need a few positions, even after signing Rojo, but if we don't sign a combative midfielder to partner Herrera than the other positions won't really matter, imo - if the central midfield remains broken, the rest of the team won't function.

Vidal, Carvalho, De Jong, Strootman - we need someone who will get the fecking work done.

This is something so blindingly obvious that I am actually astounded that three transfer windows will have passed since Fergie left and we still haven't come close to fixing the problem. Its like some bizarre blind spot everybody in the club has.

I also don't believe we will sign a midfielder in the next ten days. After that point, the club will deserve everything it gets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Robson99 wrote: »

Man of the Match...superb even without the exquisite assist.

Re Van Gaal, he's clearly a pugnacious character...why wouldn't he walk if he's been sold a pup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

M.U.S.T are jumping on the green and gold bandwagon now and the talk of a anti Glazer protest at the QPR game is starting to grow, the only thing that can stop it is top class signings.

this is the last thing our players need after .

hopefully the away fans get behind them Sunday (dont think there is any doubt about that) after the horror show from our home fans last weekend.

Bull**** if it happens, and they'd be showing they're just agenda driven more than anything tbh because there's no new reason to be protesting against the Glazers now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Think I feel about the "protest" as some must have about the plane over OT last season..

The anti Glazer stuff since Saturday is embarrassing.

Getting all riled up after all the real damage has been done, and United are actually on the best financial footing they have been on in 10 years. Reports from most journos state that the money is there to be spent. A lot here will know I've bitched about the Glazers more than most, but I honestly don't think they are a problem anymore. Or, if they are, it is their blind spot with Woodward rather than anything else.

As the stats show, we have spent money in the last 2 years - Fellaini and Zaha are proving to be poor transfers, while I believe Shaw, Mata and Herrera will prove 100million well spent in the long run. I've no doubt, personally, that the Glazers are prepared to spend more this summer - I just believe it is Woodward that has proven to be the reason it isn't getting spent.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if LVG walked - he won't carry the can for failure this year because Woodward failed to deliver on any of LVGs targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Find the protest stuff a bit cringy myself as people have pointed out above, the debt issue is nearly resolved now and we will be debt free in a few years. The thing is we have spent more money than ever in the last 12 months and it has been spunked away. The £140m we have spent in the last 12 months could have been much better spent and as Gary Neville pointed out last night you could have got Bale, Cesc, Kroos and Luis for more or less what we have spent (granted not all may have come to Utd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Bull**** if it happens, and they'd be showing they're just agenda driven more than anything tbh because there's no new reason to be protesting against the Glazers now.

moral within our support is as low as i can remember...people need somebody to blame and the Glazers are the easiest targets.

sadly,the only thing that can solve this is big money being spent. MUST are famed from driving their agendas also, they love this kinda s*it and have been waiting in the long grass for our supporters to cave in towards Woodward and the owners like has been happening last few weeks.

• Advertisement

You can't blame the Glazers. We've spent big. It's therefore their subordinates who have been deliquent.

Surprised we didn't get a rendition of 'We're watching that space, we're watching that space... Woodward you ******, we're watching that space'. or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Getting all riled up after all the real damage has been done, and United are actually on the best financial footing they have been on in 10 years. Reports from most journos state that the money is there to be spent. A lot here will know I've bitched about the Glazers more than most, but I honestly don't think they are a problem anymore. Or, if they are, it is their blind spot with Woodward rather than anything else.

As the stats show, we have spent money in the last 2 years - Fellaini and Zaha are proving to be poor transfers, while I believe Shaw, Mata and Herrera will prove 100million well spent in the long run. I've no doubt, personally, that the Glazers are prepared to spend more this summer - I just believe it is Woodward that has proven to be the reason it isn't getting spent.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if LVG walked - he won't carry the can for failure this year because Woodward failed to deliver on any of LVGs targets.

Look, money in the bank ain't worth anything to the fans. Especially when you see the matchgoing fans spending more than ever on their "matchday experience" and you see the same glaring holes in the squad (worse now than this time last year due to Giggs, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra going)
    This as well when a new manager comes in, apparantly one of the best around, getting paid a lot of money but not having brought in one of his own players yet and a guy "in charge" of transfers who doesn't appear to be the best at that role currently.
    The club allegedly have money and have had for years however all some fans see is a lack of investment in comparison to the clubs main rivals in the past five years and a serious lack of quality in those that have been invested in (in general)

And this against the backdrop of fans who have experienced unprecidented success over the years.

Is it any wonder there is a lot of dissatisfaction out there?
    The club have not spent big in the past 5 seasons in relation to City and Chelsea. That surely is blatently obvious.

(I'd have been positive up until the past few weeks in general but the lack of movement in the market, the glaring holes in the squad and the major strengthening of the clubs rivals in the past few months alone are all concerning)

Another thing that kinda of annoys me this season is the fact that every club has been given a boost in money and instead of giving the fans a break on ticket prices, for a while a least, they're just adding to players wages or fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

You can't blame the Glazers. We've spent big. It's therefore their subordinates who have been deliquent.

Agree with you here, its not the Glazers who panicked and spunked money on Zaha, Fellaini and to a certain degree Mata. The time to really protest and boycott was 2005 not ten years later when the debt is basically a non issue.

Saturday was the tipping point, but even before the game Saturday things were not good. never seen Old Trafford so unmotivated and passionless before and during the game.

in terms of opposition supporters, United are the gift that keeps on giving right now, they must be loving it.

Agree with you here, its not the Glazers who panicked and spunked money on Zaha, Fellaini and to a certain degree Mata. The time to really protest and boycott was 2005 not ten years later when the debt is basically a non issue.

100%.

It's the people picking the players who are the villlains.

Woodward's role in failed transfers also needs to be clarified.

In any other large PLC, mismanagement like this in relation to a key element of the business would be interogated and rectified at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

100%.

It's the people picking the players who are the villlains.

Woodward's role in failed transfers also needs to be clarified.

In any other large PLC, mismanagement like this in relation to a key element of the business would be interogated and rectified at the highest level.

So sack van gaal?

moral within our support is as low as i can remember...people need somebody to blame and the Glazers are the easiest targets.

sadly,the only thing that can solve this is big money being spent. MUST are famed from driving their agendas also, they love this kinda s*it and have been waiting in the long grass for our supporters to cave in towards Woodward and the owners like has been happening last few weeks.

It just shows they've been waiting on the least bit of fan unrest to jump on the back of and make it seem like the whole fanbase is anti-Glazer when the reality is anything but fans blaming them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anti glazer stuff is UNREAL.

They have sanctioned big spending ...not their fault it went on trash. They have stayed largely out of it...wrote the cheques and let the managers bring in who they want.

Absolute nonsense stuff from fans calling for them out.

bangkok wrote: »
    So sack van gaal?

Eh, he hasn't really picked anyone yet...(who's been signed)

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Look, money in the bank ain't work anything to the fans. Especially when you see the matchgoing fans spending more than ever on their "matchday experience" and you see the same glaring holes in the squad (worse now than this time last year due to Giggs, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra going)
    This as well when a new manager comes in, apparantly one of the best around, getting paid a lot of money but not having brought in one of his own players yet and a guy "in charge" of transfers who doesn't appear to be the best at that role currently.
    The club allegedly have money and have had for years however all some fans see is a lack of investment in comparison to the clubs main rivals in the past five years and a serious lack of quality in those that have been invested in (in general)

And this against the backdrop of fans who have experienced unprecidented success over the years.

Is it any wonder there is a lot of dissatisfaction out there?
    The club have not spent big in the past 5 seasons in relation to City and Chelsea. That surely is blatently obvious.

(I'd have been positive up until the past few weeks in general but the lack of movement in the market, the glaring holes in the squad and the major strengthening of the clubs rivals in the past few months alone are all concerning)

Another thing that kinda of annoys me this season is the fact that every club has been given a boost in money and instead of giving the fans a break on ticket prices, for a while a least, they're just adding to players wages or fees.
    As I have said, I have criticised the Glazers in the past.

I believe they have curtailed investment in the side, in the past.

I do not, however, believe they have been the problem recently.

We were in for Ronaldo, Bale and Fabregas last summer - they were fine with the money needed, Woodward failed to deliver.

We got Mata in January for 40million, they were fine with that money.

We have already signed Shaw and Herrera - while being in for Di Maria, Vidal, Hummels, Vermaelen, Rojo and probably some others. Again, they haven't stopped the big money moves - the reason we haven't got anyone else in, bar likely Rojo - is Woodward's inability to close transfer deals where we aren't in a position of strength.

I'd love to see the back of the Glazers, but for me the facts are they are not the current issue holding the side back. Our inability to sign players is not because they won't release the funds.

If we had won vs Swansea, this protest wouldn't be happening. If we signed Vidal on Sunday, this protest stuff wouldn't be happening. It is only happening because people are pissed with the lack of transfers - not the 700million they have leached out on debt repayments and personal payments, not the increases in ticket prices, not the gouging of supporters - the transfers and thats fecking it. If Moyes was still in charge I'd say the protest would be about Moyes and not the Glazers too.

It is, imo, mostly spoilt fans venting in (imo) the wrong direction.

It just shows they've been waiting on the least bit of fan unrest to jump on the back of and make it seem like the whole fanbase is anti-Glazer when the reality is anything but fans blaming them.

its a hard one to call, i think most people also realise that the players are not good enough to play for our club. would be interesting to see where the blame lies, i would put our current awful squad with the following in order

1 - Fergie.
    2 - Woodward (for debacles of last 14 months)
    3 - the players themselves.
    4 - the glazers.
    If we had won vs Swansea, this protest wouldn't be happening. If we signed Vidal on Sunday, this protest stuff wouldn't be happening.

this is not true, problems were brewing before Swansea. we could have scrapped a win there and the lack of signings would still have people in uproar today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    So sack van gaal?

Better wait until he actually gets around to picking somebody. Next year maybe at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Eh, he hasn't really picked anyone yet...(who's been signed)

Shaw and Herrera, Rojo by the looks of it.

Went for Vermalen also. Its hardly Woodward picking his own targets and signing them without talking to LVG about them

Decided on Rooney on captain, Blackett and Lingard to the first team, Fellanin for Herrera Saturday

I'm not asking for LVG to be sacked or even trying to be negative against him but he's made a lot of calls since he came in. He is a big part of whats happening and where we are going.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Anti glazer stuff is UNREAL.

They have sanctioned big spending ...not their fault it went on trash. They have stayed largely out of it...wrote the cheques and let the managers bring in who they want.

Absolute nonsense stuff from fans calling for them out.

You have absolutely no idea if this is the case however.
    Fergie is still working for the club, he's hardly going to spill the beans on what really goes on.
    Moyes is subject to an NDA at present so he won't say much.
    LvG is only at the club a wet week yet - but hopefully if there is an issue he will highlight it.

The "trash" it was spent on was generally speculative young player with promise.
    In the past five years, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Powell, Buttner, Zaha, De Gea, Hernandez, Bebe, Obertan, Diof and Pogba have all come to the club.
    Granted Valencia, Young, Mata, Fellani have also come to the club (amongst others)
    Do you not think there has been a policy of buying very young (but paying plenty for them) in Gills last few years at the club?
    Most of those players haven't worked out for one reason or another.

Then you look at City in the same period:
    Toure, Nasri, Clichy, Silva, Milner, Navas, Fernandinho, Fernando. (Amongst many others)
    Chelsea have done similiar with ready made first team players in positions they needed players in.

They both spend hundreds of millions more than United.
    That, unfortunately is what it takes as you can afford to buy better players, first team players as well as make a lot of mistakes.

its a hard one to call, i think most people also realise that the players are not good enough to play for our club. would be interesting to see where the blame lies, i would put our current awful squad with the following in order

1 - Fergie.
    4 - the glazers.

this is not true, problems were brewing before Swansea. we could have scrapped a win there and the lack of signings would still have people in uproar today.

You think GlazersOut would have been trending if we beat Swansea 3-1 with some of the nice football we were playing in preseason? I don't. You'd still have had people saying "plenty of time left, LVG wanted to assess his players, you don't know what is happening in the background".

1 - Fergie.
    4 - the glazers.

Yeah Fergie has to take the blame for the imbalance and ageing key players in the squad. For all the talk you used hear of Gill and himself wanting to handover a well built squad whenever the time would come, they really didn't.

Imo if we had won there would have been a sizeable amount of fans urging everyone to remain positive and that the squad was only 1 maybe 2 signings away from being great, particularly since the other big clubs didn't win in convincing terms either at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I was actually really impressed by the Glazer's last season, was a big decision to call time on Moyes so soon, and they didn't shy away from it, and I think Van Gaal's appointment was massive.

Glazers: "Hey guys, here's that money you wanted to spend on the team."

MUFC: "Cheers lads."

Fans: "Why have we not spent that money the Glazers gave us on talented players?"

Woodward: "KEEP CALM AND BUY PLAYERS *laughs*"

Fans: "GLAZERS OUT"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You think GlazersOut would have been trending if we beat Swansea 3-1 with some of the nice football we were playing in preseason? I don't. You'd still have had people saying "plenty of time left, LVG wanted to assess his players, you don't know what is happening in the background".

Glazerout trending on twitter matters f*ck all when 90% of the people tweeting it, will never set foot inside the ground in their lives.

im "thinking" it based on what i saw and heard inside the stadium on Saturday and before the game.

in saying that, theres nothing that 3 signings wont heal and this protest will not happen if Woodward does his job in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Seems £17 million is the price being mentioned for the Rojo transfer. Apparantly the medical is set for today but time will tell how true this rumour is.

kippy wrote: »
    You have absolutely no idea if this is the case however.

I'm pretty confident in saying the Glazers have not forced any transfer targets onto managers at the club.

I'm also confident in saying that they have had no reservations about singing off purchases of players. With large quantities going on players over the last 18 months. Not one story has even remotely emerged of a problem being with the Glazers.
    Fergie is still working for the club, he's hardly going to spill the beans on what really goes on.
    What beans does he have to spill? I think it's largely accepted his transfer budget wasn't massive when the board were managing finances after the purchase, but he was afforded money to spend which he did.
    Moyes is subject to an NDA at present so he won't say much.
    That's very speculative, while it might be the case, I've seen no such confirmation of this.
    The "trash" it was spent on was generally speculative young player with promise.
    In the past five years, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Powell, Buttner, Zaha, De Gea, Hernandez, Bebe, Obertan, Diof and Pogba have all come to the club.
    Granted Valencia, Young, Mata, Fellani have also come to the club (amongst others)

Trash was in reference to what the comments made by the detractors are saying, that we have spent money on muck. I don't personally feel this way.
    Do you not think there has been a policy of buying very young (but paying plenty for them) in Gills last few years at the club?
    Most of those players haven't worked out for one reason or another.
    /quote]
    Yes there has no question. And this is a pretty risky move, considering when you see what those "prospects" have developed into, with argueably De Gea the only one having meaningful impact on the first team. A lot of money has been spunked on "prospects" , but at the end of the day its not my money so I don't get overly worked up about it, but it sets a precedent in regards the sort of price tag we are going to get hassled for.

We have spent a lot on prospects, when argueably that money was better spent on buying either ready made players, or more certain players.

They both spend hundreds of millions more than United.
    That, unfortunately is what it takes as you can afford to buy better players, first team players as well as make a lot of mistakes.
    They both have the advantage of not relying on their revenue streams to purchase players. They have one individual, or a set of individuals, who just open a wallet and buy who they want. We operate based of our revenue streams. Granted things are much better now, and it's obvious considering the money we have spent.

I think there is probably some acceptance on the clubs part that to get back competing, there needs to be massive expenditure, and the Glazers do not appear to hvae blinked at that prospect.

When you look at some other clubs, like Villa, who need in comparison, pennies to stay remotely competitive in the premier league, and their chairman refusing to invest. Then you see Blackpool, and a host of other clubs where owners and chairman are reluctant to spend the money required.

United have had no such issue at present with the Glazers.

Glazerout trending on twitter matters f*ck all when 90% of the people tweeting it, will never set foot inside the ground in their lives.

im "thinking" it based on what i saw and heard inside the stadium on Saturday and before the game.

in saying that, theres nothing that 3 signings wont heal and this protest will not happen if Woodward does his job in the next two weeks.

Yeah, thats it exactly.
    Its hard to see 3 transfers of the quality needed getting done in 2 weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Feeling rather positive again this morning - I think we have to remember what Jamie Carragher said last year "things are never as bad as they seem when things aren't going well" ... Between now and Christmas I do expect a few bad losses in the league (with or without signings this window).

I actually think the January window might be even more important as LVG will know every single player inside and out and he will at that stage be well on the way in building his vision for the future. I would take 5th in the league once we start building momentum as the season progresses - I think we will lose most points between now and Christmas but after January we could see a turnaround to a degree... City and Chelsea will beat us home and away IMO but after that it's up in the air.

Yeah Fergie has to take the blame for the imbalance and ageing key players in the squad. For all the talk you used hear of Gill and himself wanting to handover a well built squad whenever the time would come, they really didn't.

Most people bought into the ****e Fegie and Gill were peddling before they left.

SAF outlining he was left a squad of champions that will be able to compete for seasons to come.
    Gill outlining that one of the key criteria for appointing a successor was someone who would not dismantle the squad, and work with what was there, a squad of champions that would compete for years.

I wasn't the only one, but plenty of us were screaming at those comments, but unfortunately most people bought into it. And it was a key tool used to hit Moyes with, that he had degraded a squad of champions.

We won that league that season because City and Chelsea were so ****ing awful. Not because we were good.

You would have had to be INSANE to think that squad was good enough when Moyes took over. And as Woodward indicated himself in a board address, the club was caught TOTALLY on the hop when Moyes indicated the squad needed fresh faces ASAP, which led to the disastrous last summer.

All this is black and white, factual comments. It's not even up for debate in my eyes.

Ferguson and Gill went off into the sunset claiming they had left a title winning machine, when they had left anything but.

• Advertisement

twam2008 wrote: »
    I was actually really impressed by the Glazer's last season, was a big decision to call time on Moyes so soon, and they didn't shy away from it, and I think Van Gaal's appointment was massive.

so soon? Moyes "lost" the dressing room before he even had it and it was officially gone by October/November. he should have been sacked in December, end of January at the latest.

our season was still salvageable in January, but we waited and waited until 4th place was gone - The Glazers then sacked him as it saved them £25million after the Everton game despite the general consensus that he was a goner since late February.

had they replaced him in January, we could have had a chance at 4th, albeit an outside chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moyes was never,never going to be sacked in January. It was unbelievable to many he would even get the sack less than a year after he started, let alone 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

1 - Fergie.
    4 - the glazers.

This is all a bit pointless but surely Gill has got to shoulder a lot of the blame for where we are now.

United have been in a state for at least 4 years now. Buying RVP in 2012 was only papering over the cracks and the opposition that year….well there wasn’t any.

Gill was CEO. He stood back and watched as the playing staff were allowed grow old together (Rio/Evra/Vidic) while key areas of the team were ignored. When Scholes was brought back out of retirement this should have sparked huge warning signs that the manager was starting to lose it. At the very least the transfer window in the summer should have been used to target a world class midfielder. He also watched on as huge payrolls grew, paying for ordinary players who would add nothing to the long term success of the club.

The situation we find ourselves in now is down to the mis management of the last few years of Ferguson and Gill. Moyes was never going to be the man to turn that around. Woodward is too inexperienced at a crucial junction for the club and VG is new into the role. Lets just hope these 2 hit it off over the next 12 months or we could face a Liverpool like period over the next 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Moyes was never,never going to be sacked in January. It was unbelievable to many he would even get the sack less than a year after he started, let alone 6 months...

True. I was convinced he would get a second season.

I've never been to the OT.

Why do you frequently feel that people who support the club, yet havn't been to the ground, are "less" of a fan?

That stuff kinda annoys me, and something you have history of peddling. I'm not going to get fiery over it, you are fully entitled to your opinion and I can understand and appreciate why some people would think they are bigger fans because they attend games.

But I have family who are season ticket holders, and actually take more grievance with the amount of people in that ground that have absolutely NO IDEA about football, and use it as a tourist destination every few months, rather then going to support the team.

Not an attack on you, but I guess as you peddle that line frequently it's just cropping up again. But it genuinelly annoys me a great deal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement