Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

irishfeen wrote: »
    I actually think the January window might be even more important as LVG Moyes will know every single player inside and out and he will at that stage be well on the way in building his vision for the future.

Just when I thought the sense of deja vu couldn't get any stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Moyes was never,never going to be sacked in January. It was unbelievable to many he would even get the sack less than a year after he started, let alone 6 months...

due to the crazy contract we gave him, it was never happening. that doesnt mean he didnt deserve it, as he most certainly did.

the scary thing is tho that saturday showed us playing the exact same sh*t football and the manager making the exact same mistakes...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I have seen a few reports claiming that we had Kroos agreed but let it slip.

Do people believe that? Tragic if it is true, best passer in the world after Darron Gibson (small joke if anyone read Martinez's comments yesterday)

Small joke but I'd have had Gibson starting for us against Swansea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

so soon? Moyes "lost" the dressing room before he even had it and it was officially gone by October/November. he should have been sacked in December, end of January at the latest.

our season was still salvageable in January, but we waited and waited until 4th place was gone - The Glazers then sacked him as it saved them £25million after the Everton game despite the general consensus that he was a goner since late February.

had they replaced him in January, we could have had a chance at 4th, albeit an outside chance.

But replaced him with who?

No serious option would have been available. Giggs would have been given the thing on a caretaker basis but he wouldn’t have done any better.

Moyes was a mistake from the start but unfortunately once we hopped on the bus there was no stopping until the season end was in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think what's happening at the club is probably the inevitable negative side effect of having the same manager for a quarter of a century. Some might not want to countenance that, but I believe it's true. It's natural in a way. There was always going to be a couple of years' of mayhem after he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

We could have brought Jesus Christ in in January and still wouldn't have made 4th. I think we have an excellent manager now, who will get us back to where we need to be, but don't think he'll be able to do that this season. Lessons need to be learnt first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's also worth mentioning that what is happening now with Woodward, isn't far off what FREQUENTLY happened with Gill. The only reason there seems to be rose tinted glasses is because there is such more importance NOW and focus NOW on transfer dealings, and we havn't got the fallback of a strong team firing under the guise of SAF.

Gill frequently forayed into the market, at the upper echelons, to try battle for the signature of a top, ready made player, and came back empty handed. Frequently.

Our recent decade, has been happily buying players from smaller clubs, using our financial clout, and brand ( to organise friendlies and generate revenue for said smaller club) or going in for players no one else really wanted.

People will mention RVP in terms of the last high profile player we signed, but I don't think there was any battle. He declined Juventus quickly, and wasn't really interested in City. He wanted to come to us, that's a different story.

When it comes to high profile players, big deals, where the players have a number of equally opportunistic offers, we frequently lose out. For all our illustrious history, domestic dominance and global appeal, we frequently fall short when it comes to signing a big name.

I can only imagine it has something to do with Europe. We had that sensational run of a hat trick of finals, and then obviouslly winning it previously, but we never really capitlised by stocking up on the elite players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just when I thought the sense of deja vu couldn't get any stronger.
    We are dealing with a different animal with LVG I think ... Unlike Moyes I think LVG will call out his players publicly and would have a SAF approach to a player who speaks out akin to RVP last year...

I would also have no doubt that he will call out the clubs hiarchy if needs be if they repeatedly miss his targets - this is LVGs last job and he will not go quietly ... Anything but IMO..

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've never been to the OT.

Why do you frequently feel that people who support the club, yet havn't been to the ground, are "less" of a fan?

That stuff kinda annoys me, and something you have history of peddling. I'm not going to get fiery over it, you are fully entitled to your opinion and I can understand and appreciate why some people would think they are bigger fans because they attend games.

But I have family who are season ticket holders, and actually take more grievance with the amount of people in that ground that have absolutely NO IDEA about football, and use it as a tourist destination every few months, rather then going to support the team.

Not an attack on you, but I guess as you peddle that line frequently it's just cropping up again. But it genuinelly annoys me a great deal.

that post you have written, is a complete and utter lie. i never said anything in my post about real fans or lesser fans so stop making up s*it.

wont be long before you know who comes along (and its him that appears to have brain washed you into accusing me of complete lies) peddling rubbish about the stretford end fans and how we are all scumbags and and what not.

if i am at it "frequently" as you say, id like you to proove it with lets say, 10+ posts in the last 12 months where i said "people who dont go to the ground, are less fans".

you wont find any...so your talking through your f*cking ass. match going revenue is only 25-30% of our revenue, we need fans all over the globe pumping money into the club for growing our revenue. i have at times said that i value the opinion more of a match goer for certain topics (like gauging opinion, judging the impact fans are having on players, atmosphere etc etc) but apart from that, you accusations are not accurate.

and theres plenty of people who go to games that dont deserve to be supporters of our club (and ive said this many times) so again you are incorrect.

in fact, ive probably been more critical of our match going fans than anything else regarding our fan base - you will see me opposed to the g & g campaign, the booing if Moyes (even though i was against him), the Fellaini incident last week and so on...

but sure go on, accuse me of this real fans rubbish as tends to pop here every 6 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think what's happening at the club is probably the inevitable negative side effect of having the same manager for a quarter of a century. Some might not want to countenance that, but I believe it's true. It's natural in a way. There was always going to be a couple of years' of mayhem after he left.

BS, imo.

Fergie being there for so long does not excuse the incompetence of Woodward in the transfer market. If we signed the players we should be signing, we wouldn't be in this mess, or at least we'd see things were likely to get better soon enough.

Fergie left a bit of a mess alright, but not one that was impossible to fix. We could all see the issues, you can't blame Fergie for Woodward, Moyes, LVG or the Glazers (whichever you may feel deserves some blame now) being incapable of strengthening the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Rojo and Blind were our only signings we would be absolutely desperate, frantically trying to get anybody in during the January window because I think we will have a poor run before January.

It's going to take a few more months for LvGs philosophy to rub off on the players, top class midfielders and defenders would ease up the pressure

Quibbling over 24-28 million for Benatia and 45 million for Vidal if true is ridiculous, the club needs major investment in those positions because of the lack of it in past years, a chunk of cash will have to be spent in one window to get things back on track and then we will only have to add 1 or 2 players each summer if needed like City and Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There will be lads here 10 minutes before the transfer window shuts still hoping for some news on Vidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

the incompetence of Woodward in the transfer market

I dont agree with much any more, but this sums up our transfer dealing for the past two years. Woodward is completely incomepetent when it come to buying players. He should have that responsibility removed asap

Very angry

BS, imo.

Fergie being there for so long does not excuse the incompetence of Woodward in the transfer market. If we signed the players we should be signing, we wouldn't be in this mess, or at least we'd see things were likely to get better soon enough.

Fergie left a bit of a mess alright, but not one that was impossible to fix. We could all see the issues, you can't blame Fergie for Woodward, Moyes, LVG or the Glazers (whichever you may feel deserves some blame now) being incapable of strengthening the squad.

Fergie (and Gill) were like Bertie - bit of a mess - they left a pile of S**T for their successors to sort out.

I know where you're coming from, sign a top quality CM and a couple of top quality CBs and a lot could be put right but the fact is the rest of Europe knows they have United over a barrell and can hold them to ransom while the same players see more glamour in playing in Madrid / Barcelona / Munich / London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

irishfeen wrote: »
    We are dealing with a different animal with LVG I think ... Unlike Moyes I think LVG will call out his players publicly and would have a SAF approach to a player who speaks out akin to RVP last year...

I would also have no doubt that he will call out the clubs hiarchy if needs be if they repeatedly miss his targets - this is LVGs last job and he will not go quietly ... Anything but IMO..

Its not his calling out of the players that would concern me, its repeating the non-event that was last Januarys transfer window. Just like last year we will probably find that the right targets are not available in January, or deals are harder to make, or the ACON complicates things, or LVG needs more time to assess the mascots or whatever the latest excuse for our woeful transfer policy is.

Thats why I said deja vu, because its exactly the same as this point last summer and the club really should have learnt its lessons.

that post you have written, is a complete and utter lie. i never said anything in my post about real fans or lesser fans so stop making up s*it.

wont be long before you know who comes along (and its him that appears to have brain washed you into accusing me of complete lies) peddling rubbish about the stretford end fans and how we are all scumbags and and what not.

if i am at it "frequently" as you say, id like you to proove it with lets say, 10+ posts in the last 12 months where i said "people who dont go to the ground, are less fans".

you wont find any...so your talking through your f*cking ass.
    Glazerout trending on twitter matters f*ck all when 90% of the people tweeting it, will never set foot inside the ground in their lives.

That is a direct quote from you, with the implication that these people simply don't matter. If you meant something else, my apologies.

But you DO have history in this, as you've been the centre of this sort of debate a good few times I can recall over the last two years.

And like I said if you toe that line, its perfectly fine. I don't like it though, and think its a pretty condescending attitude. And I see it more frequently on other forums to be fair, which is understandable considering they are UK based forums with probably more frequently visiting fans.

I'm also not entirely clear on who you are referring to, but I can assure you I've not been brainwashed. As someone who hasn't gone to the ground, I'm not actually familiar with the various groups and sections in the crowd, and to be honest pay little to no attention to it, as I'm typically watching football :)

So unless there was alternate meaning to your direct quote above, I doubt I'm talking out of my ass. And I'm perfectly fine with people that have that viewpoint, I think it's just harsh though.

Don't be getting overly defensive of it, I've issue with the thought process and opinion(which is held by many to be fair), not with you making it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fergie being there for so long does not excuse the incompetence of Woodward in the transfer market.

Nobody even knows that it's Woodward who is the problem:rolleyes:
    It's like posters blaming Giggs for Valencia getting a new contract, or Herrera being subbed. People decide who the hate figure is and the bad decisions are their fault.

But the fact that Ferguson was there for so long, and was such a dominating influence on the club, had to mean that there would be a vacuum when he left. And the club had years of avoiding big money transfers - Berbatov was a spite signing, and Van Persie wanted to move to us - because we had to get 'value', buy young and improving players instead of the finished product.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Fergie (and Gill) were like Bertie - bit of a mess - they left a pile of S**T for their successors to sort out.

I know where you're coming from, sign a top quality CM and a couple of top quality CBs and a lot could be put right but the fact is the rest of Europe knows they have United over a barrell and can hold them to ransom while the same players see more glamour in playing in Madrid / Barcelona / Munich / London.

The continued competitiveness of the team, and winning the title here and there, completely shrowded the defencies the club have had way before Moyes arrived.

The club has struggled in the transfer market buying from the top shelf, and the supposed brilliant youth acadamy is a total myth and fabrication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If Rojo and Blind were our only signings we would be absolutely desperate, frantically trying to get anybody in during the January window because I think we will have a poor run before January.

I think Blind would be a decent CM option and leaves the door open for Strootman or Vidal.

The utility tag thats been attached to him is unfair and unflattering as from what ive heard he's a fine midfield player.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Berbatov was a spite signing,

Who were we spiting by buying Berbatov?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RayCun wrote: »
    Nobody even knows that it's Woodward who is the problem:rolleyes:

No, you just don't believe the people who say he is.

This really is a load of rubbish.

Fergie left a squad that needed no more work than any of the other top 6 clubs.

If CM and LB was sorted last summer, we would have come into this season needing another CM,CB and Winger.

That obviously didnt happen and we have been set back about 2 years thanks to a combo of Moyes and Woodward.

The only thing Fergie can be blamed for since he stepped down was the appointment of Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The continued competitiveness of the team, and winning the title here and there, completely shrowded the defencies the club have had way before Moyes arrived.

The club has struggled in the transfer market buying from the top shelf, and the supposed brilliant youth acadamy is a total myth and fabrication.

united have one of the best youth acadamys in England how is a myth and fabrication?!

bangkok wrote: »
    united have one of the best youth acadamys in England how is a myth and fabrication?!

what ever about United, England isnt actually at the top of world football when it comes to developing youngsters is it so putting United, at the top of that isnt saying much?

we are living of the class of 92 for the last 20 years.

Apparently its been in decline and our current squad would reflect that, only Evans and Welbeck are top level academy graduates, when you look at the players Southampton churn out on a yearly basis and the fact current and former United players are sending there children elsewhere there could be question marks.

Hopefully LVG can rectify this in his time at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I dont agree with much any more, but this sums up our transfer dealing for the past two years. Woodward is completely incomepetent when it come to buying players. He should have that responsibility removed asap

Very angry

He has bought players in every transfer window. Two in this window, maybe three and signed a very good player in Mata.

Saying he is completely incompetent is just plain wrong. None of us no for sure the list LVG has given him and how many he has failed to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

In the cold light of day it's obvious and has been obvious for quite some time now that despite Utd's financial resources of income coming through the club , they are not willing to compete with Madrid , PSG , City or even Barca in signings.

Like it or not the glazers are extremely tight with money. I don't buy the BS of they can't pull off deals for players they simply won't pay the price tag, Mata was an exception to ease extreme pressure they were coming under. The glazers main goal is to use Utd to finance themselves and their debt.

What they don't seem to be realising is another few seasons of this and Utd won't be raking in any huge income because we will have become a mid table club with a serious lack of quality and success on the pitch.

I'm sick of hearing Woodward say we have money available and can compete in the transfer market, go ahead then...bloody compete...buy top players...put your money were your mouth is and re-assure Man Utd fans around the world that we actually can act like a top club still.

'Ronaldo money is just resting in our account'......sure it still is...

beno619 wrote: »
    This really is a load of rubbish.

Fergie left a squad that needed no more work than any of the other top 6 clubs.

If CM and LB was sorted last summer, we would have come into this season needing another CM,CB and Winger.

That obviously didnt happen and we have been set back about 2 years thanks to a combo of Moyes and Woodward.

The only thing Fergie can be blamed for since he stepped down was the appointment of Moyes.

So apart from needing 5 players (According to you) the team Fergie left was grand – just that 50% needed changing (according to you).

So Fergie left a team needing 2 CMs, a LB, a winger and a CB?

Fergie didn’t realise he had no CM when one player had already come out of retirement and the other was the far side of 30 and looking ordinary in key games? He didn’t realise his 2 CBs were in their 30s and spending half the season injured? OR that his left back couldn’t defend and was also a 30 something? And the best of all – that the new winger he needed was to replace a lad who was about to turn 40?????

All of these positions should have been filled over the last 4 years or so. Vidic’s replacement should be the only part of the jigsaw left to sort out this year if Gill & Ferguson had been doing their job properly.

what ever about United, England isnt actually at the top of world football when it comes to developing youngsters is it so putting United, at the top of that isnt saying much?

we are living of the class of 92 for the last 20 years.

and what about other players that were not in the class of 92 that went onto have great careers? do you just put them to the side and forget about them?

wes brown
    john o shea
    Darren fletcher
    danny welbeck
    johnny evans
    tom cleverly
    adnan januzaj
    fraizer Campbell
    Kieran Richardson
    guissippi rossi
    paul pogba
    ryan shawcross

then other player in the academy now that could make the breakthrough..

james Wilson
    Andreas Pereira
    demetri mitchell
    saidy janko

Apparently its been in decline and our current squad would reflect that, only Evans and Welbeck are top level academy graduates, when you look at the players Southampton churn out on a yearly basis and the fact current and former United players are sending there children elsewhere there could be question marks.

like who?

• Advertisement

He has bought players in every transfer window. Two in this window, maybe three and signed a very good player in Mata.

Saying he is completely incompetent is just plain wrong. None of us no for sure the list LVG has given him and how many he has failed to sign.

The evidence to the contrary would be overpaying for Fellanni, as well as his statement earlier this summer regarding making big signings. The paints a target on his back when he doesnt deliver, which simply put he hasnt. He needs to be left with only commercial duties and replaced on the football side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

and what about other players that were not in the class of 92 that went onto have great careers? do you just put them to the side and forget about them?

wes brown
    john o shea
    Darren fletcher
    danny welbeck
    johnny evans
    tom cleverly
    adnan januzaj
    fraizer Campbell
    Kieran Richardson
    guissippi rossi
    paul pogba
    ryan shawcross

james Wilson
    Andreas Pereira
    demetri mitchell
    saidy janko

Lot of these guys only arrived at 17/18 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Irishcrx wrote: »
    In the cold light of day it's obvious and has been obvious for quite some time now that despite Utd's financial resources of income coming through the club , they are not willing to compete with Madrid , PSG , City or even Barca in signings.

Like it or not the glazers are extremely tight with money. I don't buy the BS of they can't pull off deals for players they simply won't pay the price tag, Mata was an exception to ease extreme pressure they were coming under. The glazers main goal is to use Utd to finance themselves and their debt.

What they don't seem to be realising is another few seasons of this and Utd won't be raking in any huge income because we will have become a mid table club with a serious lack of quality and success on the pitch.

I'm sick of hearing Woodward say we have money available and can compete in the transfer market, go ahead then...bloody compete...buy top players...put your money were your mouth is and re-assure Man Utd fans around the world that we actually can act like a top club still.

'Ronaldo money is just resting in our account'......sure it still is...

As has been well documented, we can spend £120m every 12 months and that won't fix the problem because that is not what the problem is. The problem is with our transfer system, we need to be able to identify players sooner and should be working on transfers throughout the year, as was seen with Herrera and Shaw, it can be done but not enough is being done. And hopefully we will have consistancy with our new manager and longevity in which time the right players can be identified and secured.

like who?

RVP
    Phil Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Who were we spiting by buying Berbatov?

City
    No, you just don't believe the people who say he is.

I don't believe the people saying he is have any special insight into what is happening inside the club, so neither they nor I are in a position to say who the problem is.

RVP
    Phil Neville

they are only training with city, they are not signed up or anything

and just to add to the insignificance of that, Jose mourinho's son trains with fulham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

RVP
    Phil Neville

Any Coles son is with man city as far as I know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP
    Phil Neville

RVP is a current UTD player not former

Yes, and?

• Advertisement

RVP is a current UTD player not former

He said "current and former" :rolleyes:

Yes, and?

I don't see what point you are trying to make?

not one world class player out of the list you gave, compared to a heap of them 20 years ago. every other club in England could bring out a list of their academy players longer than than for players.

Pogba and Rossi were signed into the club and left quickly - our input on them while of course could have been huge, may have been replicated and/or better at any other club.

we tend to buy players rather than develop them.

you are forgetting the size of our club to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

wes brown
    john o shea
    Darren fletcher
    danny welbeck
    johnny evans
    tom cleverly
    adnan januzaj
    fraizer Campbell
    Kieran Richardson
    guissippi rossi
    paul pogba
    ryan shawcross

james Wilson
    Andreas Pereira
    demetri mitchell
    saidy janko

The only top players in that list are Januzaj and Pogba who are not products of the youth academy at all and were just poached from other clubs when they reached 16. To use their names as evidence of the quality of the Man U youth academy is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Did someone say... Berbasex?

berbasun.jpg

Wellbeck, Cleverly, Janners.

They are the only names that spring to mind of players that have broken into the first team in the last few seasons. Cleverly is largely regarded as simply not good enough, Wellbeck will constantly have the jury out untill he starts scoring 15+ a season.

Janners is being touted as potentially world class, but there is a long way to go there before he is even a first team regular, nevermind world class.

Few players cropped up pre-season, Blackett seems decent, but time will tell if they become regulars in our squad. Pogba obviously is well documented and probably the only success story of recent note...and we sent him off.

The purpose of a youth academy is to supplement the first team, with players who are educated and prepared for the style of football that they will operate in the first team, and be equipped with the technical skills and knowledge to operate at that level.

What we have...is a youth academy that farms players out on loan, hoping that during first team football in lower divisions, a player will just "click" and be able to slot into what has been largely a title challenging team. This just hasn't come to pass for so long.

Instead our youth acadamy players are plying their trade in lower leagues, or lower table teams in the PL, along with a few who have moved abroad.

I'd argue it is a myth, as the purpose and function of a clubs academy should be supplementing the first team with a steady string of replacements as the years go on.

The only success our academy has provided is supplimenting lower league teams with players they "assume" are good, because they were at our academy.

So apart from needing 5 players (According to you) the team Fergie left was grand – just that 50% needed changing (according to you).

So Fergie left a team needing 2 CMs, a LB, a winger and a CB?

Expecting 5 transfers of high quality players is a lot and if you look at City and Chelsea they had gaps last year that have been addressed this summer, its taken Mourinho and Pellegrini 2 summers

Fergie didn’t realise he had no CM when one player had already come out of retirement and the other was the far side of 30 and looking ordinary in key games? He didn’t realise his 2 CBs were in their 30s and spending half the season injured? OR that his left back couldn’t defend and was also a 30 something? And the best of all – that the new winger he needed was to replace a lad who was about to turn 40?????

All of these positions should have been filled over the last 4 years or so. Vidic’s replacement should be the only part of the jigsaw left to sort out this year if Gill & Ferguson had been doing their job properly.

Yes Fergie should have left the perfect squad the new manager would never need to have made any additions, can you give me an example of when this has ever happened in top level football ? :rolleyes:

Last seasons priorities were a LB and CM this didnt get addressed so now we require even more because players have left, lose of form ect.

like who?
    RVP
    Phil Neville
    Yes, and?
    I don't see what point you are trying to make?

What dont you underdtand??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I think Blind would be a decent CM option and leaves the door open for Strootman or Vidal.

The utility tag thats been attached to him is unfair and unflattering as from what ive heard he's a fine midfield player.

He has one big problem that is a pretty big issue for our team already - pace. Not that he's overly slow, but when you look at our problems at the minute - our biggest issue is we have certain defenders, midfielders, and attackers taking 3-4 touches at a time and getting into trouble. By this stage the opposition has everyone back behind the ball and we're now facing a load of players in front of us. Which is odd considering how technically good some of our players are like Mata and Herrera. Look at the difference between the speed of attack between us and Chelsea last night for instance (and fair enough personnel comes into that too).

He played well at LWB for the Netherlands at the WC but we're far better off find a player for a certain position rather, as many have mentioned on here, than a player that just covers a lot of positions. He is a good battling midfielder but I think we need something better at CM.

• Advertisement

wes brown (Injuries argueably scuppered his potential, brilliant on his day)
    john o shea(Suffered from utility tag, never established with us as he should have)
    Darren fletcher (Was a VERY slow starter, became integral to us, then condition struck. For large parts was not good enough)
    danny welbeck( Jury still out)
    johnny evans( Has come on nicely in the last few seasons, so injury prone)
    tom cleverly( Jury has all but made its ruling)
    adnan januzaj( To early to tell)
    fraizer Campbell( Mid table striker, was never good enough for United)
    Kieran Richardson( Mid table player, never good enough)
    guissippi rossi ( Scuppered by injury, never materialised into anything of note)
    paul pogba( Documented)
    ryan shawcross ( Mid table CB, never United quality)

james Wilson
    Andreas Pereira
    demetri mitchell
    saidy janko

That's my point, sure they have gone onto "play football", but surely the judging point for youth players, is if they make it into our first team and maintain the quality we expect, since they came from our youth academy.

I've put my feelings in brackets above, but it's hardly a list to somehow debunk the suggestion our youth academy has not been as stellar as some would make out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement