Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Roma said give us the Ronaldo money and ye can have strootman and benatia what would ye guys say ? Yes or No

I think LVG is a top manager, and a great appointment.

I don't think he is a miracle worker though - the squad is dogsh1te, and if it isn't improved we are going to be 6th or so again this season, imo.

He needs to add another centre back (assuming Rojo is a done deal) and a combative central midfielder, at the very least. Without those two signings, we are fooked.

I was told Woodward is trying to do a deal for one CM player at the moment - a player I don't really rate myself, and one LVG apparently doesn't want. So hopefully that is already dead in the water.

Let me guess guarin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Roma said give us the Ronaldo money and ye can have strootman and benatia what would ye guys say ? Yes or No

Tough one.... I'd say a reluctant yes, cause it is 20million more than they are 'worth' imo - but when you've fecked up as badly as United have, that is arguably the punishment you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd say No.

But because Strootman won't be fit until too long after United need him.

Let me guess guarin

I'm not going to name him, and I'll only say no to a player name once... its not Guarin. My mate might decide to run the story so it wouldn't be fair for me to blab it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I think the forward 3 are too narrow and also lack pace , I suppose you could say dimaria could change positions on the break but a traditional 433 works best with one central striker and a pacey winger type striker on either side ala robben or Sanchez

yeah but im not suggesting a traditional 433 im suggesting a 442 diamond with the main width coming from the fullback with in pure what if di maria and herrera kinda drifting in and out. that is the kinda role di maria played for a lot of last season and did it very well.

i agree its narrow but if it works thats what i would go for if it doesnt its either mata out wide or dropping rvp or rooney (who likely wont get dropped as captain). this may not be a problem if rvp doesnt keep fit and it may be more januzaj playing wide and di maria playing wide. it gives us options and i would imagine it depends on the team we are playing against what exact formation is actually played

Does anyone else think even though Vidal is world class and probably the best midfielder in the world that a different type of player is suited to partnering Herrera in midfield , both like to go forward quite a bit so in thinking like strootman or carvalho , although strootman likes to surge forward too I think he's good at both roles ,Vidal and strootman as a central pair would be a dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You know things are fúcked when there are net spend debates going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I'm not going to name him, and I'll only say no to a player name once... its not Guarin. My mate might decide to run the story so it wouldn't be fair for me to blab it on here.

Would he be a big name player? If so would you say Woodward is chasing him only for the power of the name? Feel free not to answer if you don't think you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

what bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Reports emanating from Portugal claim Sporting Lisbon president Bruno de Carvalho has confirmed his interest in signing Manchester United winger Nani on loan as long as United pay his full wages. United are thought to be ready to offer Nani as part of the deal to sign Argentine defender Marcos Rojo

That's nice of them, isn't it?

bangkok wrote: »
    what bull

ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

J. Marston wrote: »
    You know things are fúcked when there are net spend debates going on.

It's worse than you think, this time next week there will be a Man Utd vs MK Dons 2nd round conciliation cup thread here abouts, how low we have sunk.:P

ok.

"my mate might decide to run the story"

come on, that is pure crap. Sure he could work for the sun or the mirror, just pick any random player like they do and say united are in for him.

if they are in for a player he would run the story, if not he wouldn't.

twam2008 wrote: »
    Reports emanating from Portugal claim Sporting Lisbon president Bruno de Carvalho has confirmed his interest in signing Manchester United winger Nani on loan as long as United pay his full wages. United are thought to be ready to offer Nani as part of the deal to sign Argentine defender Marcos Rojo

That's nice of them, isn't it?

Got excited for a second when I read the words sporting and carvalho

KH25 wrote: »
    Would he be a big name player? If so would you say Woodward is chasing him only for the power of the name? Feel free not to answer if you don't think you should.

No, I think Woodward is chasing him, if he is, cause he is a very gettable player. Should be an easy deal, even for Woodward.

Read, separately, on the RedIssue Sanc forum about the same story - but on the Sanc it appears Woodward said he could get X, and LVG was emphatic in his rejection of the notion.

So from reading the Sanc take on the same story (seemingly a few journos have spoken about it) it sounds like Woodward isn't actively pursuing it - it was more an easy option put forward.

Got excited for a second when I read the words sporting and carvalho

I know, that's what drew me to it initially.

bangkok wrote: »
    "my mate might decide to run the story"

come on, that is pure crap. Sure he could work for the sun or the mirror, just pick any random player like they do and say united are in for him.

if they are in for a player he would run the story, if not he wouldn't.

Yeah, there is no way anyone in here could work out who the mate i am talking about could be. NONE.

Would he go for a song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

This trio is coming ;)

hqMqvnx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

No, I think Woodward is chasing him, if he is, cause he is a very gettable player. Should be an easy deal, even for Woodward.

Read, separately, on the RedIssue Sanc forum about the same story - but on the Sanc it appears Woodward said he could get X, and LVG was emphatic in his rejection of the notion.

So from reading the Sanc take on the same story (seemingly a few journos have spoken about it) it sounds like Woodward isn't actively pursuing it - it was more an easy option put forward.

I seen that on the Sanc, no thanks...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Alex Song innit.

Cheers. If it's true then I'm glad LVG told Woodward no. He's not the manager and it's not his position to decide who we buy. That arrangement has caused problems for far too many clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 29s
    L'Equipe say Bayern Munich also interested in Angel Di Maria.

Ah lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I seen that on the Sanc, no thanks...........

Song or McCarthy

• Advertisement

Alex Song innit.

I'd rather have Rigobert.

Yeah, there is no way anyone in here could work out who the mate i am talking about could be. NONE.

am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So are we excited about Rojo?

Thought he was impressive in the World Cup, very energetic. Is my memory playing ****ebag tricks on me, or was he playing mostly on the right side of defence? Few people mentioning today he is a left sided player, thinking camera angles and memory playing up on me :D

If he is a Left side defender....erm...didn't we just sign one of those?

Either or excited by his prospective arrival. Pace and stamina is welcome in our team. Looked to be handy on the ball aswell. Granted my only exposure to him was the WC, as I'm sure it was for many.

Would welcome some comments from lads who might have seen him more regularly for Sporting.

TheDoc wrote: »

Thought he was impressive in the World Cup, very energetic. Is my memory playing ****ebag tricks on me, or was he playing mostly on the right side of defence? Few people mentioning today he is a left sided player, thinking camera angles and memory playing up on me :D

Either or excited by his prospective arrival. Pace and stamina is welcome in our team. Looked to be handy on the ball aswell. Granted my only exposure to him was the WC, as I'm sure it was for many.

Would welcome some comments from lads who might have seen him more regularly for Sporting.
    Seemingly played mostly CB for Sporting since signing for them - so it possibly a great fit for the left sided CB role, while also providing a cover option for Shaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'd rather we stick with what we have than go signing rejects like Song, I don't rate him and his attitude is really questionable. We need players who can improve the team, not more mercenaries like Anderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only saw him at the WC. Seemed decent enough but honestly I was watching Argentina more for Lavezzi Di Maria and that Messi chap.

I'm happy to see us (potentially) bringing in another defender. But I'm not very excited by it. We still need heavy investment in midfield. A stronger mid would strengthen our defence by extension. Until that's done we're going to have the same problems as we already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

There has to be a CM on the way. There just has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Excited, maybe not. Happy, yes.

No, he played at left-back in the World Cup, and was voted into the team of the tournament. Having gauged the opinions of Portuguese fans on reddit he could be a good player for us, but he's not a sure fire talent. I wish I could say more from seeing him but I only saw him at the World Cup.

He will play as the left sided CB in a midfield 3 and cover LB/LWB. Its a good signing, which can hopefully turn into a great signing, but also has a chance at being a poor signing. We'll have to wait and see.

But look, it's a young a player that can cover two positions we desperately need cover in, have to be satisfied with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KH25 wrote: »
    Only saw him at the WC. Seemed decent enough but honestly I was watching Argentina more for Lavezzi Di Maria and that Messi chap.

I'm happy to see us (potentially) bringing in another defender. But I'm not very excited by it. We still need heavy investment in midfield. A stronger mid would strengthen our defence by extension. Until that's done we're going to have the same problems as we already have.

And attack by extenstion.

I'm wary, but have faith that Van Gaal knows what he's at. 43 league games for Sporting, 17 yellow cards and three reds. English Premier League will be a tough change for him, and am a bit worried that he'll miss too many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mail reporting "showdown talks" between LVG and Woodward. Didn't take long for those rumours to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

twam2008 wrote: »
    I'm wary, but have faith that Van Gaal knows what he's at. 43 league games for Sporting, 17 yellow cards and three reds. English Premier League will be a tough change for him, and am a bit worried that he'll miss too many games.

Yea, i didnt like him at all during the WC. I thought he was lucky not be sent off a few times, very rash tackles and a few bits of dirt. It's not always a bad thing to have a thumper in the team, but we cant afford a plyer to be racking up the yellow cards if everyone else is out injured.

He's young, and some good coaching might improve him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's a load of nonsense, read Sport Witness article for reasons why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Mail reporting "showdown talks" between LVG and Woodward. Didn't take long for those rumours to start.

these kind of stories write themselves in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Mail literally use a dartboard and some stickerbook photographs to come up with stories.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Yea, i didnt like him at all during the WC. I thought he was lucky not be sent off a few times, very rash tackles and a few bits of dirt. It's not always a bad thing to have a thumper in the team, but we cant afford a plyer to be racking up the yellow cards if everyone else is out injured.

He's young, and some good coaching might improve him

I'm hoping the same could be coached into/out of Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Alex Song innit.

Has to be,even Ed wouldn't **** up a free loan to buy deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Rojo is apparantly in Portugal and training this afternoon with Sporting while Nani is also in Portugal, quite staggering if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm hoping the same could be coached into/out of Jones.

In fairness Jones did well v Swansea, he needs to be left at CB though.

The no value in the market line is the most annoying line and biggest load of ****e ever spouted

Firstly value is set by what the biggest spenders are willing to pay

The line they should use is we would like to be as good a team as Real Madrid barca or bayern but we don't believe the amount of cash needed to get there is worth it

It's like Leicester or westham comparing themselves to us , Luke shaw at 27m wouldn't represent value to them because the just couldn't afford it

As a United fan im sick of how we have always tried to do things on the cheap , it's this attitude which has caused us to be in the state we are in, which in turn had made things much more expensive to fix

We have also bought very badly , in 2012 instead of Rvp we should have went all out for javi Martinez ,kagawa behind Rooney were clicking in pre season so Rvp wasn't needed despite the success in winning the league in 2013

The whole thing is all very amateur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If your mate has information that nobody else has run a story about than why would he not run the story. Is that not his job?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And attack by extenstion.

Yes, exactly. A strong midfield links the whole team together as a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rojo is apparantly in Portugal and training this afternoon with Sporting while Nani is also in Portugal, quite staggering iftrue

The bolded word is important here. What is the source because it sounds like BS that both parts are true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement