Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dahat wrote: »
    In fairness Jones did well v Swansea, he needs to be left at CB though.

I just had hoped he might be further along the line to the player I hoped he might be. I know he's young so hopefully his reading of the game and positional sense will improve with time.

He has loads of potential but he still looks a bit headless at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Shouldnt rojo be having his medical today if he believes the deal is agreed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If your mate has information that nobody else has run a story about than why would he not run the story. Is that not his job?

Isn't his mate Delaney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If your mate has information that nobody else has run a story about than why would he not run the story. Is that not his job?
    Its a something he heard from one source. Despite what many think, journos don't run any ol' story they like. They wait til they can get at least a secondary confirmation of the same story themselves.

I just had hoped he might be further along the line to the player I hoped he might be. I know he's young so hopefully his reading of the game and positional sense will improve with time.

He has loads of potential but he still looks a bit headless at times.

Jones hasn't been helped by played everywhere but Center half since he joined. If he gets a proper run there, I'm sure we'll see there player we thought we bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

The one thing that worries me with not strengthening our first 11 enough to get us into the top 4 is that if we have to endure Europa league football next season then it will be a he'll of a lot harder to break into it. Liverpool last season are a prime example of it and to a certain degree Spurs having Europa football has hindered there chances on a few occasions of C.L. places. This is the transfer window to make sure we get into the top 4

Jones hasn't been helped by played everywhere but Center half since he joined. If he gets a proper run there, I'm sure we'll see there player we thought we bought.

That's true.

And I suppose I can't expect him to be the same as a 30-year-old Franco Baresi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The one re-assuring thing about this whole thing is that LVG won't take much more of this ****e , he will let Woodward and the suits know in no uncertain terms that this is unacceptable and if his signings aren't brought in they will have to accept the possibility we won't finish in the top 4 and if they can't accept this he will walk now , he could go one further and give the club an ultimatum , get him him and him before sep 1st or I will resign , can you imagine how embarrassing that would be for the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

considering Rojo is a better know as a LB, i wonder does that mean that Luke Shaw wont necessarily be first choice this season especially if we play 4-3-3?

Is Woodward the Moyes of the boardroom?

Or is he just trying to get as much as he can for as little as he can and finding that that doesn't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Robson99 wrote: »
    The one thing that worries me with not strengthening our first 11 enough to get us into the top 4 is that if we have to endure Europa league football next season then it will be a he'll of a lot harder to break into it. Liverpool last season are a prime example of it and to a certain degree Spurs having Europa football has hindered there chances on a few occasions of C.L. places. This is the transfer window to make sure we get into the top 4

Optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That's true.

And I suppose I can't expect him to be the same as a 30-year-old Franco Baresi :D

Or better than someone like Ashley Williams of Swansea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The no value in the market line is the most annoying line and biggest load of ****e ever spouted

The whole thing is all very amateur

Thats great and all, but I didnt hear LvG or Woodie use that expression so not sure what the relevance is?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

The silence is deafening. Whatever is happening, there is no way Van Gaal can have been happy going into the first games of the season with the team he had. I really need the transfer window to shut and see what gets done moving forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

considering Rojo is a better know as a LB, i wonder does that mean that Luke Shaw wont necessarily be first choice this season especially if we play 4-3-3?

Rojo is a centre back. He will play centre back. He will not be chosen ahead of Shaw when fit. How many times lads....

A theory I have is because United is run very much as a business unlike Real Madrid , then all they care about is champions league qualification , of course they would like to be the most successful team but the cost of assembling a team to challenge the best is not cost effective because at the end of the day there are many great teams in Europe now and success isn't guaranteed so let's just keep things tipping over and get champions league , however apart from this they seem to be underestimating are many more additions we need to even get into the top 4

Rojo is a centre back. He will play centre back. He will not be chosen ahead of Shaw when fit. How many times lads....

to the left in a back 3 yes. in a flat back 4, its as likely that he will be competing for Shaw for a starting position as it it playing in the middle 2.

his ability to play at the top level in center partnership is open for assessing at this moment. and id be pretty sure he will be playing at LWB or LB this saturday if he plays and not CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

At this rate and considering high volume at weekends and the end of the transfer window the thread will be over in 2.5/3 weeks.

Stop posting so much lads, i cant keep up :(

to the left in a back 3 yes. in a flat back 4, its as likely that he will be competing for Shaw for a starting position as it it playing in the middle 2.

his ability to play at the top level in center partnership is open for assessing at this moment.

But we're not gonna be playing a flat back four any time soon unless we get Di Maria in, which is highly unlikely. I can see him filling in for Shaw when he's injured or whatever, no way he'll start ahead of him at left back when fit though

But we're not gonna be playing a flat back four any time soon unless we get Di Maria in, which is highly unlikely.

we played it for 45 minutes of last saturday when we had to chase the game, something that is highely likely in alot of games this season.
    no way he'll start ahead of him at left back when fit though

you dont know this, until it transpires how both players are settling in. Shaw is injured, if Rojo hits the ground running in a LB position, Shaw will struggle to dislodge him.

LVG wont give a s*it about pricetag, he will pick whoever is playing better.

• Advertisement

At this rate and considering high volume at weekends and the end of the transfer window the thread will be over in 2.5/3 weeks.

Stop posting so much lads, i cant keep up :(

I think we went through a thread in less than a week at the end of last August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Part of the reason for my question is that one or tow articles have questioned the purchase of Luke Shaw, and if Van Gaal truely signed off that purchase, or was it simply done by Woodward as a show of strength.

The indication being that Rojo is a LB, potential LWB and that is his ideal position. I just thought it a bit weird we would sign a LB after...signing a 30m LB....

But if CB is where he routinely plays and his exploits at the WC were just, well the WC, that's cool. Just wasn't sure so wanted to ask :)

we played it for 45 minutes of last saturday when we had to chase the game, something that is highely likely in alot of games this season.

you dont know this, until it transpires how both players are settling in. Shaw is injured, if Rojo hits the ground running in a LB position, Shaw will struggle to dislodge him.

LVG wont give a s*it about pricetag, he will pick whoever is playing better.

But you'd agree that he was signed to play centre back and he will play most of his games at centre back yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Why would United loan someone to another club and pay his full wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's daft in general, kinda defying the whole point of a loan, but when you feel you have a bloated squad and want to make room, makes sense to move on what could be regarded as excess, to gain what is necessity.

But I doubt that will come to pass, Sporting will most likely have to pay a percentage.

I keep hearing Rojo is a buyout clause type affair, so if that is the case why is there so much pressure on a player inclusion?

I'd nearly prefer to pay the money and keep Nani for a rainy day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cause we have no idea how to do business?

Where desperate?

But you'd agree that he was signed to play centre back and he will play most of games at centre back yeah?

signed to play there is different from it being his best position. will he play more games at CB or LB? you or i dont know - depends on injuries and formation. he will start his career at LB thats for sure and what will happen after that, is anybodys guess.

i am saying his best position is LB, you are saying its CB - one of us will be proven right or wrong over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

The bolded word is important here. What is the source because it sounds like BS that both parts are true.

A portugese journalist tweeted it earlier, guess well see soon, supposed to be presented at five after training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Because this way Sporting get Nani for a year, which is worth 3-5 million to them. Which means from the sale of Rojo they get (53 cent and two plastic buttons left over from the 3rd party ownership and sell-on clauses plus 3-5 million worth of player) Which makes it worth their while to stop whinging and moaning about the mess they created for themselves, and United get the player they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Nani would surely have offers from Italy or Spain i doubt he would go back to Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nani would surely have offers from Italy or Spain i doubt he would go back to Portugal.

He's a busy man. Wasn't he off to Juve with Chico for Vidal not a month ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He's due to be presented at Sporting this evening .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If he was told he will be getting no football of note this season and with no real offers about his hand may have been forced to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Although I happy (provided nothing stops the deal now) we are strengthening our defence, how good is Rojo? All I've see of him is with Argentina. Anyone watch much of him in Portugal?

Would of rather we held on to Nani (if the what were hearing is true) but I suppose desperate times and what not.

So saying we had a fully fit squad with Valencia, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Blackett, Keane, Rafael, Rojo, and Young, who would be our starters?

I imagine Shaw would start in LWB, Rafael at RWB, and Evans in CB, but who would be dropped for Rojo? Smalling or Jones?

Also any ideas when Evans is back? I'm just hoping it doesn't get to a point where we are forced to push Jones out to RWB and Rojo, Evans and Smalling in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Those offers would likely be for a lot less money than he is earning at United. He gets a year back home in a league he should stand out in and still gets his full United wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Makes sense from Sporting’s point of view. If paying Nani’s wages is going to cost them say £5M for the year and the alternative was no Nani but an extra £5M on the transfer fee then Sporting would only see £1M of that after Spartak and Doyen have had their cut.

This way it still costs united the same but it’s a better deal for Sporting.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Although I happy (provided nothing stops the deal now) we are strengthening our defence, how good is Rojo? All I've see of him is with Argentina. Anyone watch much of him in Portugal?

Would of rather we held on to Nani (if the what were hearing is true) but I suppose desperate times and what not.

So saying we had a fully fit squad with Valencia, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Blackett, Keane, Rafael, Rojo, and Young, who would be our starters?

I imagine Shaw would start in LWB, Rafael at RWB, and Evans in CB, but who would be dropped for Rojo? Smalling or Jones?

Also any ideas when Evans is back? I'm just hoping it doesn't get to a point where we are forced to push Jones out to RWB and Rojo, Evans and Smalling in the centre.

im hoping this our starting back 4 on saturday.

Rafael Jones/Evans Smalling Rojo.

f*ck this back 3 crap, we dont have players good enough for it, especially with half of them out injured at the moment or not even signed. the above 4 isnt great but id have more faith in it than the back 5 that played last week.

put the following in front of them and it looks a team streets ahead of the one from last saturday.

Fellaini
    Herrera-

Adnan
    Mata
    Roooney

RVP

even putting young in and moving up Rooney if RVP is not fit is still a massive upgrade

Perhaps we should help PSG get Di Maria by offering them 30m for verretti or maidudi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Yeah the offers have been flooding in for him over the past couple of seasons one presumes but United rathered he stayed on to keep the bench warm

Perhaps we should help PSG get Di Maria by offering them 30m for verretti or maidudi

i was of the opinion we dont need Di Maria until the weekend, but even the new formation has changed nothing - we are too static and slow in attack.

id certainly be happy if we signed him, i think we need him but fitting him in poses problems for Mata or Adnan probably.

even getting rid of the 3-5-2 and having a world class winger are enough reasons to sign him and it would finally signal a bit of intend and ambition for once in the market.

we need di maria...and vidal...and a few more players of that calibre if we want to be challenging for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Blackett has shown a lot more than Smalling in recent weeks, if someone's to be dropped I hope it's not him.

Liam O wrote: »
    Blackett has shown a lot more than Smalling in recent weeks, if someone's to be dropped I hope it's not him.

If they play a back three, Evans will be in the centre and Rojo to his left so Blackett isn't going to be on the right of those three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Blackett seemed very composed last week. Saying that I find it hard to see him take a spot from Evans, Smalling, Jones and now Rojo..Ya never know though if he takes a few more of the chances given to him he could break into a permanent spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

You mean one competitive game where he was no better than Smalling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At his age and experience level, I don't think Blackett is going to be complaining about being back up to the first team. And if he's good long term, he'll earn his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yeah, singing Rojo might stall Blackett's progress but we are not in position to prioritize that. But also...

Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blackett would be our CB options, knowing the injury record of our CBs Blackett should get enough game time. Also Blackett and Rojo can play as LB too.

signed to play there is different from it being his best position. will he play more games at CB or LB? you or i dont know - depends on injuries and formation. he will start his career at LB thats for sure and what will happen after that, is anybodys guess.

i am saying his best position is LB, you are saying its CB - one of us will be proven right or wrong over the coming months.

He plays centre back for his club, I'd trust the 50 or so appearances for Sporting over the 6 or 7 games he played at a World Cup out of postion. He is the left centre back Van Gaal has been saying he wants to sign, number 2 on the list after Vermaelen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Rojo signs, Blackett will be bench fodder but he'll get games in the League Cup or FA Cup. Great cover for CB and LB too in a single player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thought Fellaini done well against Valencia and Swansea when he came on. I would like to see him start this weekend he can't be worse than fletcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Thought Fellaini done well against Valencia and Swansea when he came on. I would like to see him start this weekend he can't be worse than fletcher.

Talk is he will be off to Naploi before the weekend, could even be news after Napolis game tonight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement