Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

billyhead wrote: »
    Winger sold means space for a new winger. Is di Maria who is rojos best mate next. As Woody says watch this space

But we haven't sold a winger. We given him to another club as a present for a year. Free of charge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A versatile CB/LB signed and we let Nani go where we will play consistently for a season - exactly what I think he needs. He could come back an incredible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    #mufc has reached agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and personal terms.

Watch as we wont pay him an extra 2k a week now

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

The only reasoning I could come up with would be that there may have been a club interested in him, a lot of Juve talk at the time and him tied to a longer contract may have strengthened our postion when thrashing out a deal???

Other thatmb that HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenario, I can't for the life of me fathom a reason.....

That was it, there was talk of Juve being interested, he put in some great performances in pre season, signed a new contract and then went down hill again IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Montroseee wrote: »
    It's the same story with Anderson, how he ever got a new contract is actually worse than Nani.

Only has a year left, if he survives the window this is his last season at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

twam2008 wrote: »
    How about is right footed International team mate who Swansea are after for £7m?

Fernandez? If he's gone to Swansea as reported it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the league. They are getting him for cheap but if we signed him i bet another couple of million would be added to his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    A versatile CB/LB signed and we let Nani go where we will play consistently for a season - exactly what I think he needs. He could come back an incredible player.

I would like to think that too but my feeling is we won't see Nani in a Utd shirt again.

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 4m
    #mufc has reached agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and personal terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

cdb wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself but according to some poster on reddit Sky sports Jim White said Manchester United are battling it out for the signature of Cruzeiro's Lucas Silva Borges. 21 year old defensive midfielder. Obviously take it with a pinch of salt until confirmed but if it pans out its another player coming and under the radar

He broke this Rojo deal iirc or was very close to being the first to report it. I think it's anything he's posted about on Twitter has actually gone through.

Fernandez? If he's gone to Swansea as reported it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the league. They are getting him for cheap but if we signed him i bet another couple of million would be added to his price.

You can be sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I expect Rafael to be selected this week, did VG not say he was fit last week? Maybe just didn't want to rush him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very meheish about whole thing.

Nani was not a player I wanted to see gone even if on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I doubt we'll ever see Nani in a United shirt again. It's very rare for a player of his age/stature to go out on loan and then come back and make a contribution to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm not sayin a word about Rojo till we see him play. Seems like a lot of players regress when they join United. Only the few true superstars seem to do well.

Look at Jaime Jacksons twitter. He is getting murdered. Its so funny. I hope this is yet another lesson for everyone that these guys are gossip columnists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He broke this Rojo deal iirc or was very close to being the first to report it. I think it's anything he's posted about on Twitter has actually gone through.

I think you're getting mixed up Benatia. Just checked his twitter and I can't see him mentioning Rojo at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My reaction to all of this.

1345661034056.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »
    But we haven't sold a winger. We given him to another club as a present for a year. Free of charge.

I think United have plenty of cash going by Woodwards bravado, so they should not need to sell Nani to raise funds to buy more players.

If Van Gaal wants a smaller squad this season and United don't need money then its probably no harm loaning him out.

Nani wouldn't be on loan on Van Gaal had any intention of using him on a regular basis. I like Nani, a lot, but he has not played regularly for a long time and I actually think he needs to go and play ball somewhere like Sporting.

If United do what they should in the league this season Nani can be brought back when he would get more game time and on the back of playing regular football or sold on for a good fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What did Jackson say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

He was on the money with Rojo alright so might be something in it.
    Check Sky Sports transfer centre at 18:50. Not much else at the minute.

http://www1.skysports.com/common/ajax/mobileScribbleContent/47088

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Ando fat jokes are about as funny as John Terry party crashing pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Very meheish about whole thing.

Nani was not a player I wanted to see gone even if on loan.

I feel the same. Rojo seems like another body to throw to the front lines rather than the tank or fighter jet we needed.

I'm not good with analogies so just consider Vidal to be a tank and Di Maria to be a fighter jet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Someone please set up a Sporting Superthread and bring the Nani debates over there. It'll reach 10,000 posts faster than most other team threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Giggsy11 wrote: »

He nominated Fergie :D I'm still waiting for someone to call out Van Gaal.
    The only reasoning I could come up with would be that there may have been a club interested in him, a lot of Juve talk at the time and him tied to a longer contract may have strengthened our postion when thrashing out a deal???

Other thatmb that HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenario, I can't for the life of me fathom a reason.....

So we'll give him massive wages for the next 5 years? Juve were probably only interested in him because he would have been a cheap, low risk option. Extend it for another 1/2 years by all means if we were looking to sell.

What did Jackson say?

Posted this after Sporting confirmed the deal.

jamie jackson @JamieJackson___ · 47m
    Have just spoken with #mufc re Rojo from Sporting Lisbon who are clear the deal is still not done, though "inching closer".

30 mins later.
    Manchester United @ManUtd · 12m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

GSPfan wrote: »
    Someone please set up a Sporting Superthread and bring the Nani debates over there. It'll reach 10,000 posts faster than most other team threads.

A new defender and no Nani talk for the season yes.

I know all I've seen of Rojo is with Argentina but if he's good enough to make the World Cup squad and play in every game including the final, surely he has to be a good inclusion to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

are the CLQR second legs next week?

Maybe there's a player or two playing in these games waiting to see if his team goes through or not before deciding himself if he wants to transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Looked it's good to see a signing in a position we need
    But there's plenty more required
    Still need a midfield general and another CB

I'll be saving the Upton/Johannesen/Lawrence/Kendrick gifs for the time being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nolars wrote: »
    A new defender and no Nani talk for the season yes.

Oh don't worry, there will be PLENTY of Nani talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭billyhead

J. Marston wrote: »
    I feel the same. Rojo seems like another body to throw to the front lines rather than the tank or fighter jet we needed.

I'm not good with analogies so just consider Vidal to be a tank and Di Maria to be a fighter jet.

I saw all of the Argies game sin the WC and hes a decent defender nothing spectacular. Hs left footed so can play either left back or left center back and therefore can play on the left of LVGs preferred back 3. Hes a good passer and is not afraid to put the tackles in and can also is not afraid to shoot as he scored a goal in one of their games. I would not be convinced that its a good signing however. He could be a complete flop. TBH I doubt he would start for the likes of Chelsea, Real, Barca or Bayern or any other big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im very mixed about Rojo signing. I would be still worried about our defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Liam O wrote: »
    Oh don't worry, there will be PLENTY of Nani talk.

Wait till he scores a worldie and sets up three in his first game.....
    Have faith. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jackson is probably on the tell him nothing useful list after his move into ****ty opinion pieces yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldn't be so sure, he also broke Benatia to United on twitter, flying in the other night he was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

billyhead wrote: »
    I saw all of the Argies game sin the WC and hes a decent defender nothing spectacular. Hs left footed so can play either left back or left center back and therefore can play on the left of LVGs preferred back 3. Hes a good passer and is not afraid to put the tackles in and can also is not afraid to shoot as he scored a goal in one of their games. I would not be convinced that its a good signing however. He could be a complete flop. TBH I doubt he would start for the likes of Chelsea, Real, Barca or Bayern or any other big club.

If the WC games are all you've seen of him then you know nothing about him. It's not as if you watched the games paying a particular focus to Rojo so you could get a much better idea about him. His goal in the WC came from a corner (possibly a freekick, can't remember) so shows very little about whether he likes a shot or not.

Also.... IF Chelsea, Real, Barca or Bayern had announced the signing of a 24 year old CB who can also play LB and LWB and already played in a WC Final and only cost €20m, half this board would be going crazy that united had missed out 'AGAIN!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

wr4MMic.gif?1?3760

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know all I've seen of Rojo is with Argentina but if he's good enough to make the World Cup squad and play in every game including the final, surely he has to be a good inclusion to the team.

Argentina did play with two holding midfielders during the World cup ,Mascherano was almost a third centre back providing alot of cover so not sure was Rojo really tested.

I know Eamon Dunphy wasn't overly impressed by Rojo ,said he was good going forward but couldn't defend to save his life .
    Then again Eamon did say that apart from Messi the rest of the Argentinian team were useless.

Argentina did play with two holding midfielders during the World cup ,Mascherano was almost a third centre back providing alot of cover so not sure was Rojo really tested.

I know Eamon Dunphy wasn't overly impressed by Rojo ,said he was good going forward but couldn't defend to save his life .

Surely if Dunphy doesn't like him that's a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Adamocovic wrote: »

Exactly! It worked for Kleberson:P

Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara
    Follow
    Rojo did say that the negotiations have been ongoing ever since the end of the World Cup, and his representatives spoke during the World Cup

Maybe for those who thought we only go after back up player after the first choice ends up somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would nearly believe the complete opposite to anything Dunphy says.I bet he never saw Rojo play before the world cup.

Ha you might be proven right in the coming weeks but I honestly can't take what Eamon Dunphy says about players seriously. Same lad has criticised the likes of Gerrard, Mourinho and Ronaldo only to change his mind completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Dunphy also claimed Ronaldo was a one trick pony who wouldn't amount to much and that rio Ferdinand(in his prime) couldn't defend.

I wouldn't be too worried about the critical stylings of Eamon Dunphy!

Exactly! It worked for Kleberson:P

Oh god don't scare me like that :P
    ...I had completely wiped my memory of Kleberson. Thought he would be the next big thing.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, Dunphy's popular in here then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

UTDs spending this summer compared to Europes top clubs

BvaFNglCIAIGCQx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Then again Eamon did say that apart from Messi the rest of the Argentinian team were useless.

The same dunphy who wrote off Ronaldo many times.......OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Just had a quick look at The Racing Post World Cup Guide:
    "Unheralded Rojo is set to fill the problematic left-back position"
    hopefully he is heralded by the next world cup:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Andy Mitten was just on MUTV. He said that his sources in Turin reckon Vidal will be leaving Juventus before the window closes, and that they want to sell him; that the leaks from their side is because they desperately want to create a market for him.

Let's keep the ball rolling, Eddy!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement