Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Less than 2 weeks to sign a CM, CB and a LB cover. Again can't blame CBs for the lack of cover from the midfield and every wingback getting injured at the same time. I'm not really worried if we don't sign a CB but a midfielder who is good defensively is a MUST. Fletcher was very poor against Swansea, we need a very good CM/DM who is good defensively so that Herrera can play #8 role rather than #6. Should have sign Carvalho long time back, would have been superb signing to play alongside Herrera.

Re all these talk of Benatia, tbh I don't see it happening. At max we will sign Rojo and one CM that's it.

If we can sign Di Maria then it would be brilliant. His pace, directness, flair means he can push opposition to back foot easily. Van Gaal wants to play his best players in their position so Mata, RVP and Rooney will play which means hopefully we start playing Diamond formation if we can sign Di Maria. Which is also sort of 4-2-2-2 when Di Maria pushes higher up.
    De Gea

Rafael Jones Smalling/Evans Shaw

Carrick

Herrera Di Maria

Mata

Rooney RVP

This is the team I would love to see week in week out. Lack of width is not really a problem as Di Maria can easily move our wide to play as LW or RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sacramento wrote: »
    I still think we'll sign three more players, maybe even four...

I'd be amazed if we signed more than one player and I wouldn't even be confident in that being done in the next two weeks.

Of course I hope you are right and I'm wrong but, it just seems like fantasy stuff to think that amount of players will arrive.

So would everyone like Di Maria? Grand, it's decided. Let's get him so. That's how it works right?

Let's sign him this week too. Sign of intent to attract more names before the window closes. That'd be good business. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Di Maria £50 million
    Vidal £40 million
    Rojo £20 million
    Blind £20 million.

Salaries covered by Vidic, Rio and Evra's wages.

Bada bing bada boom. Simple stuff.

And then I turned off the Playstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I see we're being linked with Mexes now. He is useless. Better off with Blackett than buying mercenaries like mexes or de jong or eto.

Sporting Witness saying there wasn't a mention of Mexes at all in what was cited as the source of the rumour, so I am hoping it is an internet fabrication.

Milan were trying to get rid of him recently enough, pay up his contract and fook him off - if they don't want him, and they are in worse shape than us, why the hell would we want him? Would absolutely STINK of panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

kryogen wrote: »
    Needed a left back, signed Shaw
    Needed a midfielder, signed Fellaini (I know I know but I havent given up on him yet) signed Herrera

Its not perfect but at least its progress...........

Yes, but we needed and still need more for midfield. Last summer was a joke only bringing in Fellaini but yeah at least Moyes bought an actual CM. How did Fergie not see the need though?

I don't see how we sign Di Maria and stick with 3512 as our formation - as signing him, and sticking to that formation would mean either dropping Rooney or RVP completely - as I don't see Di Maria as a suitable candidate for either of the central midfield roles (we have Herrera for the more attacking role, we need a combative midfielder for the other) and I don't think he is a more creative passer than Mata is, and I believe (from reading LVGs comments on the requirements for a number 10) that control and passing are the biggest priorities for that role.

Signing him to play up front could work brilliantly, a la Robben in the WC, but there are two issues there for me.

1. I would like that pacey forward role to go to Januzaj.
    2. I actually don't see LVG dropping Rooney (having made him captain) or RVP, cause he is RVP.

I would just be an odd one for me.

LVG also commented that he can't play 433 because we don't have a wide player with the quality of Ronaldo or Di Maria, so signing Di Maria would solve that. Again though, it raises questions regarding the squad. We would still need a CM for the central midfield 3, still that combative player, imo. It would also still leave the issue of having to drop either Rooney or RVP, or Mata. I don't think would shoehorn in Rooney out wide.

DDG
    Rafael-Smalling-Evans-Shaw
    ----Herrera----Carrick
    Januzaj-Mata/Rooney-Di Maria
    RVP/Rooney

Defence and midfield still a massive issue in that side above.

Having written all that, I wonder why I bothered, cause I don't see us getting Di Maria unless adidas ask him very nicely and give him some nice sponsors bonus or something - I reckon PSG will make the couple of sales they need to, and free up the cash to bring Di Maria in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

More people posting about how great Mata is. He must be wonderful so. Top 5 players in the league? Be great if he showed that once in a while. I think I'd prefer Yaya Toure somehow.

Di Maria stinks of a panic buy.

The myopia of United fans is baffling sometimes.

I don't see how we sign Di Maria and stick with 3512 as our formation - as signing him, and sticking to that formation would mean either dropping Rooney or RVP completely - as I don't see Di Maria as a suitable candidate for either of the central midfield roles (we have Herrera for the more attacking role, we need a combative midfielder for the other) and I don't think he is a more creative passer than Mata is, and I believe (from reading LVGs comments on the requirements for a number 10) that control and passing are the biggest priorities for that role.

Signing him to play up front could work brilliantly, a la Robben in the WC, but there are two issues there for me.

1. I would like that pacey forward role to go to Januzaj.
    2. I actually don't see LVG dropping Rooney (having made him captain) or RVP, cause he is RVP.

I would just be an odd one for me.

LVG also commented that he can't play 433 because we don't have a wide player with the quality of Ronaldo or Di Maria, so signing Di Maria would solve that. Again though, it raises questions regarding the squad. We would still need a CM for the central midfield 3, still that combative player, imo. It would also still leave the issue of having to drop either Rooney or RVP, or Mata. I don't think would shoehorn in Rooney out wide.

DDG
    Rafael-Smalling-Evans-Shaw
    ----Herrera----Carrick
    Januzaj-Mata/Rooney-Di Maria
    RVP/Rooney

Defence and midfield still a massive issue in that side above.

Having written all that, I wonder why I bothered, cause I don't see us getting Di Maria unless adidas ask him very nicely and give him some nice sponsors bonus or something - I reckon PSG will make the couple of sales they need to, and free up the cash to bring Di Maria in.

If we sign Di Maria then hopefully we start playing Diamond formation with Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria and Mata in midfield. Lack of width is not an issue at all as Di Maria can provide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

More people posting about how great Mata is. He must be wonderful so. Top 5 players in the league? Be great if he showed that once in a while. I think I'd prefer Yaya Toure somehow.

Are you seriously calling us myopic when you are the one proclaiming Vidal is signing every other day?

Are you for real?

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's no different to other fans to be fair. Monday morning after a defeat it's always the same complaints regardless of clubs. United will do well this year, no European football to worry about

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff 32m
    Fact: From the Premier League down to League Two, only Exeter City have made less signings than @ManUtd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Its almost farcical to be honest, the greatest need and yet the least done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

xMIn23E.gif

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    xMIn23E.gif

Cheap points-scoring bullshit that adds nothing to the thread.

In my opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Relax we still have 2 weeks to sign players ;)

Cheap points-scoring bullshit that adds nothing to the thread.

In my opinion of course.

If it gives someone a giggle then it is of more value than the continuous attempts to incite 10-page long roundabout arguments that everybody detests seeing apart from those who seem to take absolute delight in making this thread as un-enjoyable as possible.

In my opinion of course.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If it gives someone a giggle then it is of more value than the continuous attempts to incite 10-page long roundabout arguments that everybody detests seeing apart from those who seem to take absolute delight in making this thread as un-enjoyable as possible.

In my opinion of course.

Nope, just thanks-whoring by picking on the easy targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Twitter
    Lots of Twitter talk saying Rojo deal is all but done for £16 + Nani on loan for a year.

• Advertisement

Nope, just thanks-whoring by picking on the easy targets repeat offenders.

fyp.

And I'll leave it there, something I would love others to be able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Giggsy11 wrote: »

That really is shocking. One of the biggest clubs in the world, who have badly needed top players for a number of years, and coming off the back of disastrous campaign, making the least amount of signings in the top three leagues. And some refuse to believe there's something rotten within the club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That really is shocking. One of the biggest clubs in the world, who have badly needed top players for a number of years, and coming off the back of disastrous campaign, making the least amount of signings in the top three leagues. And some refuse to believe there's something rotten within the club..

I just think there's a bunch of incompetent people employed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Every year there is an antagonist in this thread, they come, they pis$ people off, they go - why cant we just have a fast track line that gets them out of the system asap?

oi7ga0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

I would to know what's going on in the boardroom of old Trafford. It seems now I have no proof but we are run as business model. As business we are top and hats of to them. The Brand is incredible, I mean you see united Jersey everywhere, the list of sponsorship deals is incredible.
    Take the Adidas deal 75 million a year bigger than real deal who are a club with more famous players than us. This is were we are successful as business.
    Now to the negative of the board. Have no clue on the football side of things which in the long term will affect the commercial side because at the end people want a winner.
    So ed and whoever is in charge of transfer policy get working or them empire will crunmble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Di Maria would be a phenomenal signing if it was to happen.
    From what I read on twitter by Real Madrid fans they are going crazy at the possibility of him leaving.
    Most seem to have him in the top 3 players at Madrid, while Ronaldo loves him and doesn't want him sold.
    Should do what it takes to get him if he is available.

I think Blind and Rojo will be signed.

Vidal I really doubt, maybe a bid to get Strootman in now????

I am going for 3 to 4 signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Purely basing the window off what has happened since it opened, I can see us not signing any other player. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but I'm not getting myself even slightly worked up about it, especially on an internet forum. People need to relax. Stress is bad for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

advertsfox wrote: »
    Twitter
    Lots of Twitter talk saying Rojo deal is all but done for £16 + Nani on loan for a year.

I expect the deal to go through in the next 24-48 hours personally after his tv appearance last night. Not sure what to think of the Nani part, whether its just paper speculation or something in it.

How many signings have Stoke made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nani on loan is an odd one - Sporting have feck all money, so I would be shocked if they can afford even a slice of his wages - so I would assume they are basically getting him for free. Would rather have kept him than give him away for nowt and continue to pay his wages. Rojo is going to cost whatever fee is agreed, his own wages and Nani's wages for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    Di Maria would be a phenomenal signing if it was to happen.
    From what I read on twitter by Real Madrid fans they are going crazy at the possibility of him leaving.
    Most seem to have him in the top 3 players at Madrid, while Ronaldo loves him and doesn't want him sold.
    Should do what it takes to get him if he is available.

Simple solution to that is just to bring Ronnie home too.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Purely basing the window off what has happened since it opened, I can see us not signing any other player.

I think we are smack bang on course for an underwhelming last minute deal that doesn't really fix any of our problems.

Nani on loan is an odd one - Sporting have feck all money, so I would be shocked if they can afford even a slice of his wages - so I would assume they are basically getting him for free. Would rather have kept him than give him away for nowt and continue to pay his wages. Rojo is going to cost whatever fee is agreed, his own wages and Nani's wages for a year.

All I can think is appeasement, much like the tv interview last night. They speculate a subsidised loan, I assume that means they will be making some wage contribution if it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I expect the deal to go through in the next 24-48 hours personally after his tv appearance last night. Not sure what to think of the Nani part, whether its just paper speculation or something in it.

I'm happy to see nani go on loan if true. He can be a brilliant player when on form but he seems to have lost his impact whether down to confidence or lack of game time. If he can a year on loan as a first choice player he could come back at his best.

I'm happy to see nani go on loan if true. He can be a brilliant player when on form but he seems to have lost his impact whether down to confidence or lack of game time. If he can a year on loan as a first choice player he could come back at his best.

I'd rather him stay, think he could play a big part this year if he is fit. Having said that, the main problem with me for the loan is financial I guess. The club having to pay his full salary during the loan would not be ideal like. No way Sporting will be paying him 90k a week though so not sure what way that will be worked out.

You are right though, the year on loan playing every week could do him the world of good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If the plan is to get DiMaria in, Nani serves no real purpose on the United team and won't get much game time. While I'd rather we get some cash for his wages, I'd also be perfectly happy to have him head to Portu and probably be the star of that Lisbon team.

We got a decent fee out of Bebe on the back of a loan to Portugal, so maybe it's for the best.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If the plan is to get DiMaria in, Nani serves no real purpose on the United team and won't get much game time. While I'd rather we get some cash for his wages, I'd also be perfectly happy to have him head to Portu and probably be the star of that Lisbon team.

We got a decent fee out of Bebe on the back of a loan to Portugal, so maybe it's for the best.

I doubt its like that though, it smacks of appeasement to Sporting for the way the transfer was handled and the public disrespect and embarrassment Sporting may perceive to have been on the receiving end of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I doubt its like that though, it smacks of appeasement to Sporting for the way the transfer was handled and the public disrespect and embarrassment Sporting may perceive to have been on the receiving end of.

Those two things don't have to be mutually independent though; if it makes them happy too, grand.

• Advertisement

How is any of that United's fault that we have to pay for it? All we did is make a bid (apparently), its not on us if the player and his owners act inappropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Instead of united paying more in the transfer fee that sporting would have to give away to third party, they get round it this way

There's two chances of us signing Benita, Rojo and Di Maria after the summer we've just had.

Edit: And let's not forget Larry's Vidal's a done-deal nonsense.

How is any of that United's fault that we have to pay for it? All we did is make a bid (apparently), its not on us if the player and his owners act inappropriately.

Nobody said life was fair did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

How many signings have Stoke made?

five signings. Why?

five signings. Why?

Because we'll be lucky to beat them at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Is nobody else delighted that we lost on Saturday? If we had of played well there would be less pressure on LvG and Ed to get a job done.
    I predict two signings before the window but I don't see them being the big names shouted around, especially in CM. I think LvG is unwilling to go for Vidal because he would prefer to take the risk in waiting till January for Strootman.
    If that is true, I agree with it. Lets get in a stop gap for 5 months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United might have an eye on other Sporting players so want to keep them sweet

five signings. Why?

Random team, do you think they have done better business this summer then United?

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    United might have an eye in other Sporting players so want to keep them sweet

The two clubs had a very good relationship at one point, this will have damaged it naturally so that might be another reason for the club to give that little bit extra to them to keep them sweet again and mend the fences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement