Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Off the ball now, a lot of united tonight .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Based on the world cup I liked Rojo as a left back. Has some work to do which Van Gaal probably likes with his record for coaching players. Not sure what to expect from cb position.

He is a bit of a header, but United probably need that, too many easy going lads on the team.

Him and Shaw should be a major improvement on Evra and Buttner once they both settle at United.

I have said before that I wanted some new blood brought in, players that can improve at United and be that next star so hopefully he fits that description. Obviously want Hummels, Di Maria, Vidal types more than anything but the summer thats in it I didn't expect it.

Hopefully 2 more to come and another couple in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

lordgoat wrote: »
    ????

No he wasn't. He was a bit of a liability, the highlight being the rabona clearance in his own box.

I watched every Argie match and he grand going forward and it vertainy helped having Mascerano in the team.

I think he could be this years butters. A totally underwhelming signing.

He's a better player than Buttner. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nah Buttner was much better at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Didn't he add a load of United players to his social media account a couple of weeks back?
    And he announced that he had signed today before the club officially announced it.
    There's his going on 'strike' and having to apologise to Sporting and their fans.
    He has a shocking disciplinary record.

Hardly creates the impression of the most professional player but hopefully he can do a job on the pitch.

Had a good World Cup by all accounts but was considered the weak point in Argentina's team beforehand.

We did need a left sided defender. I don't think he'll be outshining our other defenders or anything but it's good to fill that gap. Looking forward to seeing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

By what distance? I didn't think much of him or Perez in that Arge side

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He is a bit of a header

That's what I was trying to say. In a lot of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I see Anderson did the stupid bucket of Ice water challenge and nominated fergie afterwards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Trilla wrote: »
    By what distance? I didn't think much of him or Perez in that Arge side

I'm not a Rojo expert, but by quite a bit presumably? Buttner was average.

Interesting discussion about United's spending. Their obvious point is the lack of income from sales due to retirements and token sales. They did also point out the lack of high value players in the squad. Apart from De Gea and Rooney, who's worth a truckload?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I'm not a Rojo expert, but by quite a bit presumably? Buttner was average.

Interesting discussion about United's spending. Their obvious point is the lack of income from sales due to retirements and token sales. They did also point out the lack of high value players in the squad. Apart from De Gea and Rooney, who's worth a truckload?

Adnan would be worth quite a lot, given his potential 25 Million +. Mata and Jonny Evans would be worth a lot also.

• Advertisement

I think he could be this years butters. A totally underwhelming signing.

They have one thing in common anyway in that Southampton tried to sign both before United swooped.

Montroseee wrote: »
    Adnan would be worth quite a lot, given his potential 25 Million +. Mata and Jonny Evans would be worth a lot also.

Sorry, yes...Adnan of course.

I don't think that Jonny Evans would be worth that much (maybe £15m?).

Mata's value has probably declined but he's probably still north of £20m so yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I see Anderson did the stupid bucket of Ice water challenge and nominated fergie afterwards!

Look at Kagawas face when he gets nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Shakira nominated pope Francis and McIlroy nominated George bush so not that odd a nomination when you think about it

Discussion with the journo re the Moyes interview coming up on Off the Ball...

Jesus...Moyes when confronted by a journo saying "you're being sacked" said "no way...this is Manchester United...there's no way that you could know before me".

Then he showed up at Carrington at 4am to be sacked having not slept and had to wait four hours for Woodward to arrive to sack him. He went for a run in the dark to avoid the photographers.

Think what you want of the decision, the leaking of his sacking and our transfer dealings are indicative of a club that's badly run at the top in relation to certain aspects.

Jesus...Moyes when confronted by a journo saying "you're being sacked" said "no way...this is Manchester United...there's no way that you could know before me".

Then he showed up at Carrington at 4am to be sacked having not slept and had to wait four hours for Woodward to arrive to sack him. He went for a run in the dark to avoid the photographers.

Think what you want of the decision, the leaking of his sacking and our transfer dealings are indicative of a club that's badly run at the top in relation to certain aspects.

That's all old news from the weekend. He arrived at 4am to avoid the press. You hardly think he expected Woodward to be there at 4am do you?

But yes it was dealt with very poorly by United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It seemed like the leak was very deliberate; the transfer dealings seem much less so! :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That was all in his Daily Mail interview posted mentioned and linked over the weekend, you might have missed it but probably still easy to find on their site if you want to read it.

It didn't generate much discussion then. I feel bad for Moysie but he is a big boy so he will get over it.

Reedsie wrote: »
    That's all news from the weekend. He arrived at 4am to avoid the press. You hardly think he expected Woodward to be there at 4am do you?

I wanted him sacked but it's a sad story.

• Advertisement

It seemed like the leak was very deliberate; the transfer dealings seem much less so! :o

It was morally wrong to leak it.

He was out of his depth but should have been treated a bit better in relation to the sacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

To be fair, his own grandmother was probably telling him he was going to be sacked by that stage. It was only a matter of time before one of them got it right.

But yeah, if we did leak it then that wasn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I heard it was leaked to get all the board onside to sack Moyes, due to a belief that his position would be unattainable due to the speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

edgecutter wrote: »
    I heard it was leaked to get all the board onside to sack Moyes, due to a belief that his position would be unattainable due to the speculation.

Sounds very plausible. I reckon the likes of SAF and Charlton would not have been so eager to give him the boot in his first season.

Sounds very plausible. I reckon the likes of SAF and Charlton would not have been so eager to give him the boot in his first season.

I don't understand the need to sack him at Carrington in the full glare of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Headshot wrote: »
    Im very mixed about Rojo signing. I would be still worried about our defence

Pretty much sums up my feelings but im optimistic that it will be a decent signing for us - not sure what to make of it and i see lots of mixed feedback - some people are really happy, others happy enough, others in the waiting to see though in fairness very few people arent happy with it.

positives -
    • Argentinian first choice defender who had a decent world cup.
    • Left sided defender which we were badly lacking and will provide cover/options at LB with immediate effect.
    • Can play in defensive 3.
    • He didnt cost too much, so is a low enough risk transfer.
    • Seems very motivated, strong character and well driven - this is something badly lacking at the club right now.

risks -
    • South american players moving to england not always settle in quickly, which we need.
    • Questions over his ability to play in a center back 2 - possibly a better LB than a CB.
    • Has happened before that players playing good in world cup, dont bring that form into a new club the following season.
    • is not our first choice center back target and not a star name, though can of course become one.
    • signing is very late in terms of settling in and could take a while before he gets used to Van Gaals methods

would people be happy if thats our defensive recruiting done? Benatia would be nice, but i think Rojo could be our lot now - CM and Winger to come hopefully

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't understand the need to sack him at Carrington in the full glare of the media.

Yeah, all those pictures of him getting sacked....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rojo was the best of the last four WC left backs

IGyA7IA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Were there only 4 left backs at the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Now is the time to pick up a Real player or two. Last time they did their big drive of huge names, great players like Robben and Sneijder were picked up for relative peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Those 3 would have done instead of what we bought.

Who'd play LB though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pure speculation....

Rojo and Di Maria are said to be close friends. United sign both, each has the other to help them settle in while filling crucial areas for the team.

I'm going with Di Maria being signed along with Vidal.

Watch me get it totally wrong... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pure speculation....

Rojo and Di Maria are said to be close friends. United sign both, each has the other to help them settle in while filling crucial areas for the team.

This rings to much of Kleberson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Pure speculation....

Read a similar story myself today, apparently good mates alright, Ro-Ho might have a word with him!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pure speculation....

Rojo also liked a picture on Instagram of him and Di Maria with a United crest in the background.

Can't get more official than that.

Were there only 4 left backs at the world cup?

Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rojo looks like a tough player but hes far from it. Gets bullied off ball easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Rojo was the best of the last four WC left backs

IGyA7IA.jpg

Best of the LAST 4 left backs...thought that was obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The real Madrid bench tonight:
    Varane, Coentrao, Navas, Arbeloa, Rodriguez, Di Maria, Isco

Sami Khedira can't even get near it........

Crazy stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

edgecutter wrote: »

Untenable.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think Rojo should be transfer listed as soon as he passes his medical. He is clearly not good enough.

And we shouldn't go near Di Maria or Khedira. Not good enough for Madrid, not good enough for us.

Vidal had a knee injury. Career over.

Hummels lacks a but if pace. Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Bender and draxler are too German. Wouldn't fit in.

Close the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Rojo looks like a tough player but hes far from it. Gets bullied off ball easily.

Hes no roy keane. Crazy when you think if roy keane was at his peak now at 25/26 with say juventus he'd be worth 60 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I think Varane could be an absolute star, reminds me of a young Rio, we had beeb in for him before he went to Madrid. A decent size bid and I wouldn't be surprised if it tempted Madrid to let him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

kippy wrote: »

Crazy stuff!
    Go on Ed make a bid for Di Maria and Khedira.Might as well throw in Varane as well.

Cushty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

do any of ye recommend any soccer podcasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

ician wrote: »

Football weekly.
    Football ramble
    Off the ball
    Second captains
    The game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ician wrote: »

The Football Ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

kippy wrote: »

Crazy stuff!

If Kheidra isn't attainable we should be looking at Illarramendi who also will be getting little gametime, beast of a player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement