Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    I would love to see DiMaria and Vidal or whoever coming in but ultimately we will need to let go of players and Kagawa and Hernandez are sore thumbs.

This is my fantasy line up at the moment. Evans sneaks in with no other real option.

DeGea
    Raf Jones Evans Shaw
    Herrera Mata Vidal
    Adnan Rooney DiMaria

I like it, with the likes of Smalling, RVP, Kagawa, Welbeck etc to rotate in and out.

Don't understand why people get hung up on "dropping" people like Rooney/Mata/RVP or whoever, its not like there isn't going to be enough games to go around, there will be injuries/suspensions and stuff like that too so having good options in the squad is hardly ever a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

kryogen wrote: »
    I like it, with the likes of Smalling, RVP, Kagawa, Welbeck etc to rotate in and out.

Don't understand why people get hung up on "dropping" people like Rooney/Mata/RVP or whoever, its not like there isn't going to be enough games to go around, there will be injuries/suspensions and stuff like that too so having good options in the squad is hardly ever a bad thing.

100% agreed. We get stuck multiple times a year with no centre backs and Welbeck leading the line up front due to injuries so the idea of being dropped just doesn't become an issue as much as people would think.

I think Kagawa could go though. I just don't see him ever being any better than he is now for United. I'd keep Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley(i know) for back up for the midfield 3. Fellaini unfortunately would probably be gone in this fantasy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Welcome to the new show...

bbg97.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Could be very good for Nani, familiar club, home country, he will be the main man you would think, should light up the league with his ability and generate some good interest in him from other clubs or even force his way back into the reckoning at United as unlikely as that will be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't agree with the idea that there's enough games to go round and that that solves the problems of benching players. The way I see it, there's a few significant problems.

- If RvP and Rooney shared the games between them then you would only get half a season out of each. That's a poor return for the money being spent on them.

- If you want to get the best out of a player then you play them most games and you show faith in them. Competition is good and they'll need to be rested at times, but playing the position by committee isn't going to conducive to building the best form.

- (Biggest issue imo) You do still have to chose which player is the first choice, and that becomes immediately apparent when you play the big games. Even though it would be nice to have a world class player as a back-up, most world class players won't accept being anything other than first choice. They don't need to.

Fergie was great for managing to keep four strikers happy a lot of the time, but he nearly always used lads who had something to prove as the back-ups. Neither of Rooney or RvP are in that position. So they'll just get pissed off, rather than fired up, when sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think it was mentioned in here, but the Atletico president let slip that Reus turned down a big money move to us

That story that he was píssed after Barca signed Suarez because he turned down a move to us already is probably true

I'd say he's off the Bayern next summer, unless we win the league which is fairly unlikely at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

It's very hard to be happy about Nani leaving when Valencia and Young are still at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TheTownie wrote: »
    Welcome to the new show...

bbg97.jpg

What a sweet deal for Nani. Guaranteed first team football with his home club, who are playing in the Champions League and it's not a permanent move so he doesn't have to take a pay cut and even though he's been crap for us for God knows how long, he's still probably good enough to tear up the Portuguese League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Not a UTD fan but if ye are going to play one up top surely it has to be RVP. A better player than rooney, had a better wc and he would be my choice to lead the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Surprised Nani went the other way, reeks of desperation for me. Still need 3 more signings but knows (cb,cm,wing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Delighted Nani has moved on - VG starting to move on the dead wood.

Hopefully Cleverly and Anderson not too far behind.

Never thought Nani was deadwood. He'll do well at Sporting.
    Definitely other players that should be moved on ahead of him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Not a UTD fan but if ye are going to play one up top surely it has to be RVP. A better player than rooney, had a better wc and he would be my choice to lead the line

Last season he was far superior to RVP.
    He is club captain and had a pre season, as things stand he's very much first choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Montroseee wrote: »
    Does Rojo have a child? 24 is very young...

Not really...my understanding is that Raheem Sterling has three...with different women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Not really...my understanding is that Raheem Sterling has three...with different women!

Your understanding would be wrong, he just has a daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Don't understand the Nani love here. The lad is inconsistent at very best and been stealing a living for years, even Fergie seen that at the end of his tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Don't understand the Nani love here. The lad is inconsistent at very best and been stealing a living for years, even Fergie seen that at the end of his tenure.

It's not so much a Nani love-in but an acknowledgement of the fact that there are a few players that are of less value as a player to United that are still in the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

It's not so much a Nani love-in but an acknowledgement of the fact that there are a few players that are of less value as a player to United that are still in the ranks.

Apparently we can't get rid of them all together so it will by piece meal, unfortunately we have a lot of players who are not good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whil i do want Young and Val off too, I think the problem could be that both are seen as being capable of covering defensive positions; Valencia has played right back often and Young was LB on preseason. Nani couldn't do that; his secondary position was ones we are overstocked in already.

Would hope that if, for instance, we got Cuadardo, Valencia would be moved on. young will likely stay at least this season to provide backup cover at the wing backs.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Apparently we can't get rid of them all together so it will by piece meal, unfortunately we have a lot of players who are not good enough.

Oh I know and it doesn't work out that you get rid of players in order of how bad they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Well at least we've made a signing. Disappointing to read that Reus turned us down this summer but that sums us up at the moment. Can see us going to Madrid next for Di Maria and coming back with Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This buy stinks of desperation, just like a guy that would take any ole whore home at the end of the night and throwing in a free kebab (Nani) to seal the deal.

I don't know why united just didn't go for Lovren when he was available?

Left-footed CB? Check.

Offer a sweetener to make the deal proceed? Check.

Not sure what the problem is. United got a player they went after and have lost a player that had very little future under LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bu7wOBnIMAAoQNw.jpg

Agent Fergie continuing to work hard....

This photo is from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think it was mentioned in here, but the Atletico president let slip that Reus turned down a big money move to us

That story that he was píssed after Barca signed Suarez because he turned down a move to us already is probably true

I'd say he's off the Bayern next summer, unless we win the league which is fairly unlikely at the moment

I would guess Reus goes to Real Madrid next summer, with Ronaldo being 30 years old being moved on while RM can still get very good money for him.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    This photo is from last week.

Hush. I realised an hour after I posted but was hoping no one else would :o

Spotted the Cardiff 2014 banner in the background on a re-viewing, but had seen it on reddit as being new.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This buy stinks of desperation

As far as I know the player himself has said that talks have been ongoing since the world cup, so how have you come to this conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Left-footed CB? Check.

Offer a sweetener to make the deal proceed? Check.

Not sure what the problem is. United got a player they went after and have lost a player that had very little future under LVG.

The problem is some people just like to moan about absolutely everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I heard he has six kids with seven different women. The bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

So lads, who we buying next?

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »

Time for the Yearly Snedijer rumours yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we can get top class CM, a decent CB and maybe a winger then we be in a v good position

One thing I dont want to happen is for LVG and co to ditch the likes of Blackett and young lads he gave faith in.

I dont think he will, but if results are poor then who knows. Personally, I thought it was a good call on Saturday to show faith in younger lads, even result aside.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Time for the Yearly Snedijer rumours yet?

Ronaldo too.

If we can get top class CM, a decent CB and maybe a winger then we be in a v good position

One thing I dont want to happen is for LVG and co to ditch the likes of Blackett and young lads he gave faith in.

I dont think he will, but if results are poor then who knows. Personally, I thought it was a good call on Saturday to show faith in younger lads, even result aside.

Agree. I thought Blackett played well and didn't look fazed at all. Lingard was decent too, lot of enthusiasm about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

There's no pleasing some people. I purposely avoided this thread after the signing. Had a few pages skimmed as soon as he signed and immediately backed out.

What's wrong with some of you? We've just signed a CB. A position posters here have been crying out for. He managed to play in an Argentina team that made the most recent World Cup final. We've passed on Nani for a loan deal in the process. I can't see how United don't benefit from this. Nani wasn't going to play 90mins every week, or even at all, and now he will. United get a young CB who has experience playing in tough games. A CB who seemingly likes a tackle. Steel has been added to our defence.

We've signed a LB, a CM and a CB. I call this a good transfer window.

Next we need a CM. Come on Woody, don't let us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think we are good with CB options. Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo and Blackett. Any CBs we sign should be better player than these so just a decent CB for the sake of number would be a bad signing.

Very good CM and winger like Di Maria then we are set.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

In fairness, all we really know about Rojo is that he has a questionable disciplinary record, and isn't particularly loyal, outside of that I don't think anyone can say what a stellar signing he is. Whilst I agree Nani's best days were behind him, I think to give him away and pay his wages for the year does smell of desperation. I would have preferred Lovren too and he would have cost less. Given the poor decision making over the last few transfer windows, I think it's fair enough to be skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As far as I know the player himself has said that talks have been ongoing since the world cup

So what took so long, certainly the player himself wanted the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

KH25 wrote: »
    Would think we will end up getting Alonso or Song. If we were going for Blind I would imagine LVG would have given this the green light straight after the WC.
    Vidal, Hummels, Di Maria, Benetia, Reus are just fantasy signings as it appears none of them have any interest in coming to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

twam2008 wrote: »
    In fairness, all we really know about Rojo is that he has a questionable disciplinary record, and isn't particularly loyal,

and was a first choice defender for the world cup finalists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

3 New Signings and a new manager

Im happier then last season already

In fairness, all we really know about Rojo is that he has a questionable disciplinary record, and isn't particularly loyal, outside of that I don't think anyone can say what a stellar signing he is.

What makes you say that, out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So what took so long, certainly the player himself wanted the move?

Who gives a shít? It's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would think we will end up getting Alonso or Song. If we were going for Blind I would imagine LVG would have given this the green light straight after the WC.
    Vidal, Hummels, Di Maria, Benetia, Reus are just fantasy signings as it appears none of them have any interest in coming to us.

We could get along for a song... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

What makes you say that, out of interest?

He forced his move out of Sporting.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We've signed a LB, a CM and a CB. I call this a good transfer window.

Agreed here. Not great or perfect, but definitely good. We had three positions we needed addressing, and have addressed all three this window. Could have been better players, mind, but doesn't change the fact we got what we needed. Everything now is a big bonus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

On a more down note,
    Fellaini's hopes of a move away from United could be hit by injury, however, after pictures emerged of the midfielder on crutches following a training session.

It looks like Big F could be injured? That means all we've got in midfield is Herrera, TC23 and Fletch. Hopefully it spurs on Ed and the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Who cares? Sure the captain of the team tried to do it twice. If he plays well nobody will give a sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who gives a shít? It's done.

Nice.

• Advertisement

He hardly forced the move. Sporting got a pretty good deal.

He just acted a bit childish about it and then apologised.

Anyway, talking about loyalty in a footballer these days just sounds antiquated, unfortunately. Loyal footballers are a dying breed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement