Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Also, Lovren's name has been mentioned a lot this morning. People are forgetting LVG has been looking for a left-sided player for the back three.

Not a right-footed peg to shoe-horn into a left-footed hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

He hardly forced the move. Sporting got a pretty good deal.

He just acted a bit childish about it and then apologised.

Anyway, talking about loyalty in a footballer these days just sounds antiquated, unfortunately. Loyal footballers are a dying breed.

True, I just don't think he is signing to get all that excited about, doesn't make us any more likely of getting into the top four.

twam2008 wrote: »
    True, I just don't think he is signing to get all that excited about, doesn't make us any more likely of getting into the top four.

You don't think he improves the centre of defence?

Alrighty then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think we are good with CB options. Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo and Blackett. Any CBs we sign should be better player than these so just a decent CB for the sake of number would be a bad signing.

Very good CM and winger like Di Maria then we are set.

Would say if we are gonna have Rojo as a CB we need another lb. Blind would be perfect cause he would add cover for shaw and hes a very good DM too. would actually put another LB as priority over a winger if we are gonna stick to the wing backs formation. if however we did want to swap to a 442 or 433 then rojo can cover cb and lb and then yeah a winger or wide central player. main priority is still a great combative midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I call this a good transfer window.

as it stands, its a very mediocre window in my opinion so far. i dont think you will have many fans jumping around the place this morning in celebration or many of our rivals shaking in their boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

In fairness though lads if you're playing for Sporting Lisbon and have no affinity or childhood links to the club and Manchester United come in for you then you are going to do all you can to get the move, wouldnt hold what he has done against him, plenty have done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

On a more down note,

It looks like Big F could be injured? That means all we've got in midfield is Herrera, TC23 and Fletch. Hopefully it spurs on Ed and the boys.

I think this is a good thing, it means we'll keep him, he can get the head down work with the new coaching staff and come back under the radar and stronger, the guy has a lot to offer.
    Populist opinion has gone against him because of his association with David Moyes but that does not mean he has become a bad player.

With regard to the bit above about 'what's wrong with people?'....there is an element of the fanbase that had set themselves up in such a way that they were never going to be satisfied this window, they wanted not only world class signings but their own picks of world class signings. Lower profile younger players who might suit what the manager wants or who will develop into world class talents were always going to disappoint them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

And you can judge him so well having watched Sporting a good bit last year?

Or are you just basing your opinion on the world cup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

You can understand people's fears...

- Refusing to train with a view to forcing a move indicates that Rojo is unprofessional and potentially "trouble"

- It appears that nobody else was interested in him

- Nani has been allowed to leave while inferior wingers like Valencia and Young are still there

- We have had bad experiences with Argentinians

- Eamon Dunphy was critical of Rojo during the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bad form by club not saying anything about Nani, he's already been presented by Sporting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am I the only one who takes this as a massive positive? Dunphy is the biggest troll around so if he was singling out Rojo for criticism, the player must be doing something right :pac:

And you can judge him so well having watched Sporting a good bit last year?

Or are you just basing your opinion on the world cup?

I'm basing my opinion on what I think, as I'm sure most people are, doubt anyone can list his best attributes as no one really knows dick about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

as it stands, its a very mediocre window in my opinion so far. i dont think you will have many fans jumping around the place this morning in celebration or many of our rivals shaking in their boots.

I agree totally. Its a piss poor effort. We needed a left back and a center half anyway to replace Evra Rio and Vidic. We have been crying out for two world class midfielders since Scholes retired the first time. And we still haven't signed one. Herrera has potential but is not in the same league as Kroos, Vidal, Schweinstiger, etc yet. So calling it a good transfer window so far is way off the mark. The signings we have made so far will not get us into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

:rolleyes:

- Refusing to train with a view to forcing a move indicates that Rojo is unprofessional and potentially "trouble"

- Nani has been allowed to leave while inferior wingers like Valencia and Young are still there

He was asked not to train.

How could you possibly know that?

Nani wouldn't have played, its better he gets game time and with his 5 year contract if he plays well his value will go up again.

LOL great football analysis there buddy.

Eamonn Dunphy was critical of Ronaldo in the PL.

Keep trying Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I just recall last season people were constantly moaning about Rio being past it, Vidic being past it, Evra being past it, Carrick being past it. Then people argued that Welbeck was ****e and that Nani was woeful. We've had Ashley Young is crap and Valencia should be a baker, to say the very least.

Since then, we've moved on Rio, Evra and Vidic. Nani has just been loaned away, Young has found a new position under LvG and impressed everyone on pre-season. Valencia is still Valencia and Welbeck hasn't had his chance really. We've seen Blackett, Lingard and James get first team football. Fellaini has scored a goal. Rooney, Mata and RVP can play up top and we've signed a little Spanish magician in Ander Herrera, a player people wanted signed last season when Moyes went after him.

I maintain it's a good window. Another midfielder would take it to a great window, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He was also critical of Lorenzo who going by the official World Cup stats made zero errors in Brazil.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Am I the only one who takes this as a massive positive? Dunphy is the biggest troll around so if he was singling out Rojo for criticism, the player must be doing something right :pac:

I thought Larry was taking the piss with that one but it's hard to know.

I'm basing my opinion on what I think, as I'm sure most people are, doubt anyone can list his best attributes as no one really knows dick about him.

Well hurr durr, I'm asking why you think that? What have you seen of him?

And please don't assume that because you have a limited knowledge of football and may not watch any games outside of the PL, that others are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We went into the window needing a leftback, needing a central defender, and with the usual gaping hole in midfield. We've signed a leftback, signed a central defender, and signed a midfielder (but still need another to close that hole). We were short of pace on the weekend, but were missing Shaw, Rafael, Welbeck. We're not going to get the fear factor unless we sign a big name attacking player, a Di Maria, Vidal etc, but the signings this summer have been solid, good players who will go into the first team and improve it. Another central midfielder, and/or a winger with pace, and it will be a good window.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    there is an element of the fanbase that had set themselves up in such a way that they were never going to be satisfied this window,

or there is an element of our fans that could sign Kevin Kilbane and they would be happy with it and think its the second coming of Roberto Carlos.

it really amazes me how low the standards of some supporters of our club have become, especially on boards.

as it stands, we are in a Europa league battle for the season unless LVG can work miracles, the players we are signing are not closing the gap to our rivals and i am sorry, but Marcus Rojo solves very little of our problems.

we still need 3 more players - thats not greed, its not me or anybody else being spoilt or a moaner or negative (and all the other words that anybody gets caused who doesnt jump onto the positivity bandwagon), its the sad reality of the state of our team right now.

adox wrote: »
    I thought Larry was taking the piss with that one but it's hard to know.

I assumed all his posts were taking the piss because there's no way he can be serious with them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Just saw the clip of Rojo in the WC doing the rabona clearence in his own box.
    That sorta crap is not what the club needs.
    Have a bad feeling about this signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I wouldn't have extensive knowledge of the player, but have seen enough to form an opinion. He wouldn't be the elite of defenders, but I think he will suit what VG is looking for.
    He will fit into the left side of the defensive three quite well and will be comfortable enough on the ball to bring it forward from that position, rather than hoofing the ball or passing it back inside to Evans/or whoever plays the central position.

Edit: the opposite of what dunphy says is usually the truth. He says things to get attention. He claimed at one point nearly ten years ago that United were finished as a top club - live on air on rte. we went on to the most successful 5 year period in the club'a history

Edit: larry had to ask about the player yesterday as he knew nothing about him. Then gives a list of reasons why the player is a risk. Hilarious stuff altogether

Bad experiences with Argentinians? Veron was a good playerat the wrong time. Heinze problematic? Don't ever remember feeling let down by a Tevez performance insofar as he tried. Did pretty well too...

Eamon Dunphy was also critical of another Argy defender, Lorenzo, who didn't exist.

Not having competition for a player doesn't mean he isn't good enough. And let's face it, the top, top players will go to plenty of clubs over United.

Also, Nani has shown no aptitude for defensive duties as a wing back and isn't a part of LVG's plans it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Between the "any old whore" comment and the "sure you know what Argies are like" stuff in the last few hours I'm starting to get an extremely sour taste in my mouth from this occasionally horrible thread.

Stay classy folks.

It's a bizarre thing to say that we needed a CB a LB and a CM and have signed them so it's a good window. I mean sure sign anyone in those positions and it's job done?
    Surely there's merit to discussing the quality of the players signed without being called spoilt brats etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marcus Rojo solves very little of our problems.

We started our last match with Blackett in the centre three, Lingaard and Young as wingbacks, and James the only defender on the bench

It's a bizarre thing to say that we needed a CB a LB and a CM and have signed them so it's a good window. I mean sure sign anyone in those positions and it's job done?
    Surely there's merit to discussing the quality of the players signed without being called spoilt brats etc?

You can not be picky about who you sign when your team is in this bad of a shape. It's all this ****ing waiting around for the best players that lets the hole get bigger and bigger.

I would also like to point out that last season, Mr. Luke Shaw was the best LB in the world (to be) and everyone was delighted to be in for him.

We've lost a single game because (in my opinion) we were lacking an awful lot of 1st team players. The world hasn't ended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Quite happy to see the back of Nani. Such a frustrating player to watch at most points. Cant believe we're still paying his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The happiness in this thread...

gif-terminator-smile-392394.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

it really amazes me how low the standards of some supporters of our club have become, especially on boards.

Thats what it comes down to I'm afraid, "standards". Theres a guy on this very page that thinks it was a good transfer window, because of reasons like Ashley Young having a good pre-season and Felliani scoring a goal. My god, when you have to scrape the barrel like that for positives your standards really are in the toilet.

Personally I would have liked to cling to the hope that we were still a force in English football for a little while longer, as opposed to others that are happy with their mid-table squad.

You can not be picky about who you sign when your team is in this bad of a shape.

Wow.

RayCun wrote: »
    We started our last match with Blackett in the centre three, Lingaard and Young as wingbacks, and James the only defender on the bench

ah come on, our defence is currently riddled with injuries. going on what people were saying here yesterday, Shaw is first choice LB and is Rojo good enough to dislodge Smalling, Evans or Jones in the center?

Rafael Smalling Evans Shaw

and personally, the biggest positive from pre season is the emergence of Blackett - he looks a real prospect. Rojo can work in a back 3, which again based on what i read here, is a formation that doesnt put alot of confidence in some people. even our manager abandoned it during the WC when he was chasing games and did it again on saturday after 45 minutes.

considering the fact that we love falling behind and our current team is s*it, we will be switching to a flat back 4 on many occasions this season.

Thats what it comes down to I'm afraid, "standards". Theres a guy on this very page that thinks it was a good transfer window, because of reasons like Ashley Young having a good pre-season and Felliani scoring a goal. My god, when you have to scrape the barrel like that for positives your standards really are in the toilet.

Personally I would have liked to cling to the hope that we were still a force in English football for a little while longer, as opposed to others that are happy with their mid-table squad.

You are completely misrepresenting what he said tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also, it was argued we needed a left back before buttner AND evra were sold, so we ended up needing two.

We lost two centre backs, moved to playing 3 at the back - means we need 2 CBs, Rojo covers one spot, I think, but we still need a central centre back, imo.

We needed two CMs - a more creative one, and a more combative/defensive one - we have only signed a player to fill one of those needs.

We also, arguably, need a talented winger as well, which we haven't brought in.

Even if we brought in another CB and CM - we are still in a situation where we are gambling on Young or Valencia being good enough cover at RWB or RB, i'm far from convinced at this stage. Even if we signed vidal, we are an injury for him and herrea to starting two out of Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley and Fletcher - none of them would threaten the first teams spots of the midfielders at the top 4 clubs.

It is a weak squad, of which the signings we have made have only covered some of the cracks we allowed to appear, it hasn't actually been improved by any significant factor at all.

Wow.

You can wow all you like but it's this chasing of Vidal instead of signing Kroos or Cesc that has the team utterly ****ed in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RayCun wrote: »

Didn't you hear, that was a good thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

He forced his move out of Sporting.

In the wise words of Samir Nasri, he wasn't born in Lisbon and he's not a fan of the club.

It's no different from moving from a large indigenous company to Google to better your pay packet and yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wow.

Shocking isn't it.

It is cannot or can't. can not? Wow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We 100% still paying his wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Lord TSC wrote: »

"Ronaldo is a nothing player. he'll never amount to anything" :pac:

It's not as easy as branding people of only wanting the Vidal's etc. etc. Anyone mentions the work Liverpool have done in strengthening their squad and the immediate reply is they've only bought ****e. We needed to do a lot of rebuilding and so far we haven't really done it, the only thing that would make this a good transfer window for me is knowing Woody will never be involved in another transfer window again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

magnumbud wrote: »
    "Ronaldo is a nothing player. he'll never amount to anything" :pac:

I think Carrick was the "nothing player", Ronaldo was described as a "puffball".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The happiness in this thread... UPDATED.

GIF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just saw the clip of Rojo in the WC doing the rabona clearence in his own box.
    That sorta crap is not what the club needs.
    Have a bad feeling about this signing.

I don't mind having players with the ability and confidence to pull it off, every time some of our players touch the ball all I can think is how distictly average they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I think Carrick was the "nothing player", Ronaldo was described as a "puffball".

A cod was he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

So he got it spot on so?

the only thing that can save this window are two top world class players signed before the window closes.

we fail to hit that, the window has been a failure. i really cannot see how people believe otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

the only thing that can save this window are two top world class players signed before the window closes.

we fail to hit that, the window has been a failure. i really cannot see how people believe otherwise.

A deep midfielder who is a good tackler and passer is what we need now. I'd be happy with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement