Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I've said it before and I'll say it again, LVG has acted strangely in this window, very strangely and he has a lot to answer for, not Woodward. Its about time people started saying it.

Poor Ed Woodward, he surrounded by idiots.

Moyes and now Van Gaal?

He's just unlucky I guess.

It's for the best if he takes his bad luck and ****s off somewhere else then.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

How can anyone be confident of getting rid of the Cleverlys etc(ie the dead wood) next year when they have been kept for so long?

It's the same as last year at this stage, wait til next year, things will be better, we'll get some World Class players in!!

Not having a go at anyone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    Why do you (and others) get so upset that the club doesn't buy the players that you personnally deem to be the right players?

because i have high standards and expectations for this club and i dont accept mediocrity which is what sums up alot of our players at the moment.

you make it seem like wanting world class players is unacceptable and something crazy, it should be the very minimum for us.

and to be more specific, im sick of watching s*it football every week for the majority of the past 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wonder what type of influence Giggs might have in transfer side of things.

Remember this is a man who did not want Thiago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Benedikt Howedes would be my next defender, looked great in the WC and would be more attainable than Hummels (he is captain of Schalke 04 though so they could be reluctant to sell).

Then a midfielder of note, I have given up on Vidal but there are plenty out there that would improve the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What would people think about us signing Lars Bender? I think he's a good tackler, he can pass, only 24, German international.

Ok he's not Vidal but he does a job that we have no one to do.

I would be delighted with him it's a slow rebuilding process to get back to challenging for the league. Vidal and Hummels etc would be great but i would be happy with baby steps.

Bring in De Jong, Bender, Blind and someone like Depay.

While not top class i would be confident they would get us into the top 4. Then next season edge out the likes of Fletcher, Cleverley, Young and Valencia and let these players be our squad players. Then try for big names like Vidal and Hummels who would be more gettable with Champions League football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

because i have high standards and expectations for this club and i dont accept mediocrity which is what sums up alot of our players at the moment.

you make it seem like wanting world class players is unacceptable and something crazy, it should be the very minimum for us.

and to be more specific, im sick of watching s*it football every week for the majority of the past 5 years.

United have never been in the business of going out and snapping up established world class players on a consistent basis. There is a need for it now more than ever but the club is in the least attractive state it's been in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kippy wrote: »
    The injuries now, and their effect on the results are a big issue.
    United have (on paper) the best fixture list to make the most off, however these injuries and the lack of quality back up could mean the club don't make the most of the fixtures.

There are any number of clubs vying for those top 4 positions now. City and Chelsea in the top 2, and any of Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and United to make up the two other spots.

You forgot arsenal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Very little and I dont remember seeing any quotes from Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

And by all accounts constantly undermined Moyes from the start

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Speaking from a "rival" POV, I'm delighted United have signed Rojo. A very weak link in an already weak defence.

United have to be buying better than him I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

How can anyone be confident of getting rid of the Cleverlys etc(ie the dead wood) next year when they have been kept for so long?

It's the same as last year at this stage, wait til next year, things will be better, we'll get some World Class players in!!

Not having a go at anyone here.

Because next summer Mssrs Anderson, Cleverly, Flethcer & Valencia all out of contract and will move on. We won’t get anything for them but apart from maybe £5M for Cleverly we wouldn’t get anything for them now either.

It may sound the same as last year but that’s down to the change of manager. If Moyes had stayed on we could have Kroos and Cavani by now – would you rather we had these with Moyes at the helm or what we have now with LVG? Tough call but I’d go for LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Zico wrote: »
    Poor Ed Woodward, he surrounded by idiots.

Moyes and now Van Gaal?

He's just unlucky I guess.

It's for the best if he takes his bad luck and ****s off somewhere else then.:)

What a mature, insighful and intellegent response. Typical of the "toys out of the pram, where is my sgining, I need someone to blame for this" brigade.

Answer me this. Woodward bid for Cesc twice last summer, A lot of ground work was done on Kroos, Moyes watched him and there were meetings with his agent etc and by all reports we were in for him.

All of a sudden this summer Woodward doesn't continue interest in them even though they are available and our MF is still in need. Both players change clubs but not to UTD

Do you think the lack of action in even attemtping to get tham was Woodwards call or LVG's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

beno619 wrote: »
    Very little and I dont remember seeing any quotes from Giggs.

thats a fair point I guess.

but even as being No2 to LVG im sure LVG has asked him for some help/advice.
    glued wrote: »

even just looking at Giggs at times last season would suggest some truth to that.

Who's your source inside the club ?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would be delighted with him it's a slow rebuilding process to get back to challenging for the league. Vidal and Hummels etc would be great but i would be happy with baby steps.

Bring in De Jong, Bender, Blind and someone like Depay.

While not top class i would be confident they would get us into the top 4. Then next season edge out the likes of Fletcher, Cleverley, Young and Valencia and let these players be our squad players. Then try for big names like Vidal and Hummels who would be more gettable with Champions League football.

I actually agree with you for once!

Baby steps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Speaking from a "rival" POV, I'm delighted United have signed Rojo. A very weak link in an already weak defence.

I feel like I'm the only poster who hasn't a clue who Rojo is. How many leagues do people watch?!

Do yous not leave the house? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

beno619 wrote: »
    Who's your source inside the club ?

I don't have a source but I know that Giggs and Rio did a lot of talking to the press behind closed doors. Particularly to the Guardian and the Telegraph.

thats a fair point I guess.

but even as being No2 to LVG im sure LVG has asked him for some help/advice.

even just looking at Giggs at times last season would suggest some truth to that.
    Giggs certainly will have some input but I cant see LVG coming to him of targets, im sure its discussed with them. But LVG's other 2 assistants and scouts would have bigger input imo.

Anything Ryan Giggs did last year was for the club.

People who continue to throw ****e at Giggs over a man who badly damaged the club need to reassess where there loyalty should lie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What would people think about us signing Lars Bender? I think he's a good tackler, he can pass, only 24, German international.

Ok he's not Vidal but he does a job that we have no one to do.

Can't see him shifting many extra jerseys tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Benedikt Howedes would be my next defender, looked great in the WC and would be more attainable than Hummels (he is captain of Schalke 04 though so they could be reluctant to sell).

Another good shout.

Ich liebe die Bundesliga.

I don't have a source but I know that Giggs and Rio did a lot of talking to the press behind closed doors. Particularly to the Guardian and the Telegraph.

Who's your source that Giggs and Rio were talking to the press ?

United have never been in the business of going out and snapping up established world class players on a consistent basis. There is a need for it now more than ever but the club is in the least attractive state it's been in a long time.

and there lies the problem sir, the game has changed. the money around now means unfortunately a short sighted focus as opposed to long term.

waiting 5 years for the likes of Bebe, Jones and Zaha to deliver on the £42million you have invested in them, just doesnt work right now.

United are living in the past in the transfer market and unfortunately it looks like we are the only top club who is doing so.

our "investing in youth" policy is admirable but unfortunately is no longer sustainable unless we have the world class players to help them. when Ronaldo came in, we had a s*ite enough team, but at least we had Rio, Rooney, RVN, Vidic, Evra and a few more who were either at the top of their game or about to enter it.

who do our young players have to look up to now? fletcher? be shouted at by Rooney?

RVP is the only one, but he spent 1/2 of last season injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone ever have an interest in chasing/following up on transfer targets?

I've never had, but today I just wanted to know the original source of the Rojo saga, here is what I found:
    • All quite on Rojo until this article linking him to Real on July 22rd
    • Southampton link on the 22nd of July also
    • around this time he was also linked to Man Utd & Liverpool
    • 25th July Linked to a move to Valencia
    • 29th July - links back to liverpool
    • 31st July - still heavily linked to the Saints
    • 8th August, SL chairman says "There were proposals for Rojo and Slimani, but the values are below what Sporting legitimately want for the players,”
    • 12th August - papers explode with the first seemingly Soccerlens or the Daily Star
    • And you know the rest from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Another great piece from Daniel Storey on transfer ITK rubbish. Worth a read as it provides Vidal as a good example.

I don't succumb to ITK social media myself...but then I don't even acknowledge papers. Sports journalism being slowly sliced apart by this search for ITK fame.

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9429950/F365-Focus

Its also worth pointing out someone here posted a link to a twitter page with "agent" in the name. Im using the internet along time...and things like twitter before most and have seen the rise of this nonsensical accounts.

There is a large trend in the middle east and Asia...of these "ITK" type accounts doing the rounds. You'll spot them easy. Their tweets are retweetes by Indians,Pakistanis etc.

These shams generate a decent add revenue praying on emerging fan markets who simply don't know better. A lot of them have been revealed as teenagers operating in India and Pakistan labeled "agent" something.

So just a word of advice....to ignore them all entirely. They are pure muck. There is NO good type of account like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I can't believe that people are questioning whether we've had bad experiences with Argentinian players...

- Veron...universally acclaimed as one of United's worst signings ever

- Heinze...tried to force a move to Liverpool and left under a cloud

- Tevez...left under a cloud and has caused trouble anywhere he's been

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Coat22 wrote: »
    Because next summer Mssrs Anderson, Cleverly, Flethcer & Valencia all out of contract and will move on. We won’t get anything for them but apart from maybe £5M for Cleverly we wouldn’t get anything for them now either.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but Valencia signed a 3 yr contract extension during the summer.

and there lies the problem sir, the game has changed. the money around now means unfortunately a short sighted focus as opposed to long term.

waiting 5 years for the likes of Bebe, Jones and Zaha to deliver on the £42million you have invested in them, just doesnt work right now.

United are living in the past in the transfer market and unfortunately it looks like we are the only top club who is doing so.

our "investing in youth" policy is admirable but unfortunately is no longer sustainable unless we have the world class players to help them. when Ronaldo came in, we had a s*ite enough team, but at least we had Rio, Rooney, RVN, Vidic, Evra and a few more who were either at the top of their game or about to enter it.

who do our young players have to look up to now? fletcher? be shouted at by Rooney?

DDG, Rooney, Mata, RVP

…except that Rooney / Vidic / Evra weren’t there when Ronaldo signed and RVN wasn’t particularly helpful to him and got himself moved on as a consequence.

Arsenal seem to be able to make a success of “investing in youth” – we’ve just become crap at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just been looking over the stats for Swansea game. Surprised me to see Tyler Blackett passed the ball 90 times ,the most passes in the game with a 93.3% success rate.

• Advertisement

Sorry to have to tell you this, but Valencia signed a 3 yr contract extension during the summer.

Thought I'd seen that somewhere - ah well

I would be delighted with him it's a slow rebuilding process to get back to challenging for the league.

the problem is, while we "slowly" rebuild, our rivals keep widening the gap.

when we are losing players like Vidic, Evra, Rio, Giggs, Nani who have been there, done it all (33 PL medals between them) i dont call it a rebuild, i call it a decline.

people keep saying "oh but Evra was s*it last year, Rio was crap, he didnt play , Vidic was s*it, nani is s*itand bla bla bla".

we finished 7th because these players were playing (or not playing) well below their capability and without them, we struggled.

now they are all gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Just been looking over the stats for Swansea game. Surprised me to see Tyler Blackett passed the ball 90 times ,the most passes in the game with a 93.3% success rate.

He gave the ball back to Swansea that led to a quick free and the second goal too

Coat22 wrote: »
    except that Rooney / Vidic / Evra weren’t there when Ronaldo signed and RVN wasn’t particularly helpful to him and got himself moved on as a consequence.

and Ronaldo turned into world class in 2004 & 2005 ya?

really annoys me how replies on here tend to have absolutely no relevence to the topic or point in question.

United are like the guy who is a 6 out of 10 chasing after a 10 out of 10. Throw enough money and you might get a gold digger once every few years.

Pro's
    A big club
    Money

Con's
    No Europe
    Other top clubs have nice cities
    Other top clubs have more appeal

Lucas Hood wrote: »

passed it sideways and backwards over and over again. we had a huge amount of possesion from our own half to about 20 metres into Swansea - ie completely useless possession.

its easy to beat United at old trafford - sit back, let us pass the ball sideways and then counter.

its so f*cking obvious, that everybody is doing it last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He gave the ball back to Swansea that led to a quick free and the second goal too

Indeed he did. Just surprising to see a young centre half receiving the ball so much and passing it so accurately on his premier league debut.

I wouldn't agree with this.

Strootman could have been picked up for nothing last summer, Vidal and Pogba, Hummels,Rues,Di Maria all moved for feck all compared to fee's they would command now.

A lot could happen between now and next summer.
    Jones and Smalling could fulfil their potential Adnan could go to the next level. Look how long it took Wengers investment in Ramsey to pay of but it did with games and the manager having faith in his player.

I have no problem with the clubs policy of investing in youth and growing it we dont need to spend £40m but we need to get the right players in.

and Ronaldo turned into world class in 2004 & 2005 ya?

really annoys me how replies on here tend to have absolutely no relevence to the topic or point in question.

"When Ronaldo came in....we had" - we didn't - I think that’s actually very relevant to the point you were trying to make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

What a mature, insighful and intellegent response. Typical of the "toys out of the pram, where is my sgining, I need someone to blame for this" brigade.

Answer me this. Woodward bid for Cesc twice last summer, A lot of ground work was done on Kroos, Moyes watched him and there were meetings with his agent etc and by all reports we were in for him.

All of a sudden this summer Woodward doesn't continue interest in them even though they are available and our MF is still in need. Both players change clubs but not to UTD

Do you think the lack of action in even attemtping to get tham was Woodwards call or LVG's?

You have no idea what work Woodward did or didn't do last summer or this other than the outcome of his efforts.

Speculate all you want but the tangible results are dire.

Maybe the club could segment it's management and Ed could be CE of Man Utd-Twitterland/gossip pages while the club brings in someone qualified for the real world.

• Advertisement

I can't believe that people are questioning whether we've had bad experiences with Argentinian players...

World class player, that the premier league and Fergie wasnt ready.

Unbelievable player for us.

Unbelievable player for us.

Ronaldo,RVN,Stam,Beckham all left under clouds doesnt change how great they were for us.

United are like the guy who is a 6 out of 10 chasing after a 10 out of 10. Throw enough money and you might get a gold digger once every few years.

or more to the point its like going out every night, saying you are going to pull the fittest burd in the town but end up in coppers at 3am struggling to find any old drunk burd who will have you.

meanwhile all your mates are already gone home sealing the deal with the women you were boasting about earlier in the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

jameshayes wrote: »

I've never had, but today I just wanted to know the original source of the Rojo saga, here is what I found:
    • 8th August, SL chairman says "There were proposals for Rojo and Slimani, but the values are below what Sporting legitimately want for the players,”
    • 12th August - papers explode with the first seemingly Soccerlens or the Daily Star

On the 9th August Rojo suddenly started following Rooney, Van Persie, Janujaz and the official Man Utd account on Instagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

You clearly didn't watch any of Sporting last year if you think he's a "very weak link"

Spoofers everywhere Bill

jameshayes wrote: »

Just found the first real article pointing him towards Utd: "And the 24 year old added fuel to the fire by following the Instagram accounts of United – plus Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Adnan Januzaj – all on Friday"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Nobody's questioning that we've had bad experiences, just stating however it is a completely moronic point to use in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thomas Muller has confirmed he turned down a huge money move to United.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/thomas-muller-why-i-turned-down-astronomical-offer-from-man-united-30523192.html

He said the figures talked about were "astronomical" and he would have got a pay rise, but Bayern is his club and he didn't want to move.

Reedsie wrote: »
    On the 9th August Rojo suddenly started following Rooney, Van Persie, Janujaz and the official Man Utd account on Instagram.

just posted that without seeing yours! whoops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Barcelona's transfer ban has been upheld. Can't sign players in the next two windows. MIght actually help us at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

and because Rojo is Argentinian also it doesn't mean we will have the same experince with him.

The club has had trouble with many players over the years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement