Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RobertKK wrote: »
    Thomas Muller has confirmed he turned down a huge money move to United.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/thomas-muller-why-i-turned-down-astronomical-offer-from-man-united-30523192.html

He said the figures talked about were "astronomical" and he would have got a pay rise, but Bayern is his club and he didn't want to move.

There is absolutely nothing in that article to suggest United were involved at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Agree Benos post. Veron would be a brilliant player in today's game but football at that time involved a lot of atacks going back to front at pace which didn't suit him. Heinze was brilliant for us despite being a headcase at times. Tevez, despite whatever he did off the field was also brilliant and an important part of us winning a CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From the Metro....
    And speaking about United for the first time, Muller says he did have an offer to move to Old Trafford, but says he never seriously considered departing Bayern.
    ‘Of course,’ he told Bild when asked if United were close to signing him.

‘I was aware that I could earn more by making that transfer.

‘The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club, a change was not an issue for me.’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I think we can discount alot of past experiences at the club since the main personality involved, Fergie, is no longer in charge.

It's more relevent to look at Van Gaal's past experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Barcelona's transfer ban has been upheld. Can't sign players in the next two windows. MIght actually help us at some point.

Upheld? Unless they are made to give back all the players they signed then upheld isn't the word I would use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thomas Muller has confirmed he turned down a huge money move to United.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/thomas-muller-why-i-turned-down-astronomical-offer-from-man-united-30523192.html

He said the figures talked about were "astronomical" and he would have got a pay rise, but Bayern is his club and he didn't want to move.

hmmmm, he didn't mention Utd at all in those quotes. Rentastory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can't believe that people are questioning whether we've had bad experiences with Argentinian players...

- Veron...universally acclaimed as one of United's worst signings ever

- Heinze...tried to force a move to Liverpool and left under a cloud

- Tevez...left under a cloud and has caused trouble anywhere he's been

Heinze was an absolute beast for us. So what he wanted to go to Liverpool and what is it to you or me? It was step down for him as Liverpool were not challenging at the time. Maybe he liked the area, maybe he was guaranteed first team football, something that United were unwilling to do?

As for Tevez, another great player who found himself out of favor. While he wore a United shirt, he again gave everything for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

From the Metro....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I had very fond memories of Heinze. A tough battling left back that I just really liked. INjuries aside, thought he was a good player for us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So FIFA have rejected the appeal and officially banned Barca from transfers until 2016. The ban starts January 2015.

Now watch Barca snap up eveybody in the next couple of weeks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only poster who hasn't a clue who Rojo is

very few people know alot about Rojo, which is why i find it strange that some people are so happy with the deal. likewise its strange to see people completely writing him off.

its very much a case of wait and see - its a signing that nobody would have predicted one month ago.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I had very fond memories of Heinze. A tough battling left back that I just really liked. INjuries aside, thought he was a good player for us

Good is an understatement, he was an absolute beast its only that Evra went on to be the best Left Back in the world that his stock took a dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I can't believe that people are questioning whether we've had bad experiences with Argentinian players...

- Veron...universally acclaimed as one of United's worst signings ever

- Heinze...tried to force a move to Liverpool and left under a cloud

- Tevez...left under a cloud and has caused trouble anywhere he's been

I have to call you out on this. After reading this post it's clear you were not watching united play until recently.
    Veron was one of the best midfielders in the world. He didn't fit in uniteds team, but that happens from time to time. Not really anyone's fault.
    Heinze was a fantastic player for United!!
    Tevez gave 100% for United, but fergie wanted him gone - probably because the union man that he is didn't like the legal situation surrounding the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

He was superb for us, really surprised that any United fan could think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Heinze was also the club player of the year in his first season.

The chants of Ar-gen-tina arount OT suggest that there's probably only 1 person who has an issue with United signing Argentinian players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ah Tevez, with his bulldog like approach...

There is absolutely nothing in that article to suggest United were involved at all.
    PaulieC wrote: »
    hmmmm, he didn't mention Utd at all in those quotes. Rentastory.
    beno619 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

From the Daily Mail
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2729682/Thomas-Muller-reveals-Manchester-United-bid-summer-insists-leaving-Bayern-Munich-never-option.html

From Sky Sports
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11881/9431150/transfer-news-thomas-muller-rejected-approach-from-manchester-united

From the Independent (UK)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-louis-van-gaal-tried-and-failed-to-sign-german-stars-thomas-muller-and-marco-reus-this-summer-9680611.html

I could go on, but I know what I am posting is fact, so stop doubting me, Thomas...

The chants of Ar-gen-tina arount OT suggest that there's probably only 1 person who has an issue with United signing Argentinian players.

Ferguson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Heinze went downhill a lot in his last season, but I think he was voted Player of the Year the previous two? (IIRC the team was poor overall at that point)

Ferguson?

The man who signed said Argentinians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

very few people know alot about Rojo, which is why i find it strange that some people are so happy with the deal. likewise its strange to see people completely writing him off.

its very much a case of wait and see - its a signing that nobody would have predicted one month ago.

very similar in the way we signed Vida and Evra. Realistically they were not known to the masses and look how both turned out. Give the bloke a chance before writing him off ffs

RayCun wrote: »
    Heinze went downhill a lot in his last season, but I think he was voted Player of the Year the previous two? (IIRC the team was poor overall at that point)

The bad ankle injury that ruled him out for most of his second season left him with no pace at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It's already looking like another hard season ahead after last week. A win was badly needed to get belief going again for both players and supporters. Even during the game the players looked nervous and afraid of making mistakes. They know they're under the microscope with the supporters and every mistake is magnified. Smalling, jones, blackett etc won't improve unless they play every week. But a lot of supporters have written them all off already.
    I believe confidence is a huge part of successful players, some have it naturally and some lose it easily. Some players just had that cocky way about them - cantona, keane, vidic , they lifted the team and the crowd as soon as they walked out. This is what united are missing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

barca had already done most of their transfer business. Unreal corrupt club and in bed with FIFA. the whole messi/fifa situation is a joke as well

Tevez gave 100% for United, but fergie wanted him gone - probably because the union man that he is didn't like the legal situation surrounding the player.

I think Fergie fecked that one up tbh, he had just spent big on Berba and probably couldn't justify the fee for Tevez.

I would have preferred we kept him but what's done is done.

The quotes don't mention it, the ad-libbing makes it look like he's talking about United.

They quoted Muller, saying how he answered a question about United making an offer for him.

It was reported earlier in the summer that Muller had turned down Van Gaal who wanted him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

@skysports_bryan: As Marcos Rojo has medical, we're told Man Utd have yet to make a formal offer for any other player. 12 days to go. #mufc

Christ almighty!

The man who signed said Argentinians?

and wouldnt be their biggest fans after signing, said players.

Veron - a flop
    Heinze - wanted to leave for Liverpool.
    Tevez - caused him as much trouble as any other player in recent memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

So we missed out on Muller, Reus, Vermaelen and possibly Fabregas. If reports are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Reedsie wrote: »
    So we missed out on Muller, Reus Vermaelen and possibly Fabregas. If reports are to be believed.

Missed out on implies we're a loss as a result. This place nearly ****ing melted when we bid for Vermaelen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Kagawa wrote: »
    @skysports_bryan: As Marcos Rojo has medical, we're told Man Utd have yet to make a formal offer for any other player. 12 days to go. #mufc

Christ almighty!

God knows what takes woodward so long to start doing business. Likes to leave it late doesn't he

Veron - a flop because he was a square peg in a round hole
    Heinze - wanted to leave.
    Tevez - caused him as much trouble as any other player in recent memory if you don't include the other players who caused more trouble.

You might be right.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Missed out on implies we're a loss as a result. This place nearly ****ing melted when we bid for Vermaelen.

And people assumed that our second choice would somehow be better. :rolleyes:

This is from the Guardian earlier this year for anyone who still doubts the Muller story.
    Manchester United are set for disappointment over Bayern Munich’s Thomas Müller, one of their prime summer transfer targets, with the attacking midfielder not minded to leave the German champions and the club not wanting to sell him.
    There has also been a rowing back of interest from United in Barcelona’s Cesc Fábregas, with Louis van Gaal also ending the club’s pursuit of Toni Kroos, Müller’s Bayern team-mate.

Jamie Jackson on the Guardian last May. One cannot argue that was not spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He's fit to play this weekend so he's already ahead of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beno619 wrote: »
    I think Fergie fecked that one up tbh, he had just spent big on Berba and probably couldn't justify the fee for Tevez.

I would have preferred we kept him but what's done is done.

how did fergie ferck that up? utd had already paid a 10m loan fee and city then signed tevez for a fee of 48m and all of that went to Kia Joorabchian!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Our second choice that's been in negotiations since the WC ended? Do you believe everything you read? Rolls eyes for good measure too. Christ Almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Veron - a flop
    Heinze - wanted to leave for Liverpool.

Veron – was a flop once he came to United – was great at Lazio – hardly a flop because he was Argentinian
    Heinze – was kinda f*cked over by Fergie and can’t blame him wanting to move to a club where he’d get a game.
    Tevez – agree. Waster.

But this Argentinian crap – would we be saying the same if we bought Messi (or Di Maria or Aguero)??

So we missed out on Muller, Reus, Vermaelen and possibly Fabregas. If reports are to be believed.

Muller, Reus and Vermaelen were targets, but Fabregas was not and neither was Kroos, both of whom LVG didn't want.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    He's fit to play this weekend so he's already ahead of the game

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I honestly cant rememberer any of this trouble he supposedly caused, I remember him being quite professional about being dropped for Berba and scored huge goals in his last season. He may have thrown his pram outta the bag when he realised Fergie wasnt going to make the transfer permanent which is fairly understandable.

bangkok wrote: »
    how did fergie ferck that up? utd had already paid a 10m loan fee and city then signed tevez for a fee of 48m and all of that went to Kia Joorabchian!!

He picked Tevez over Berba, this is all personal opinion but I would have preferred Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

is woodward untouchable by the media ? is he that hard to find and interview because he really needs to start telling us what's happening.. he's disappeared since the mutv interview last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

God knows what takes woodward so long to start doing business. Likes to leave it late doesn't he

It is pretty clear that the Herrera deal had been mainly sorted out while the season was still ongoing last year, same with Shaw and Rojo said that negotiations began during the world cup.

There is surely enough sticks to beat him with without needing to make **** up isnt there?

Muller, Reus and Vermaelen were targets, but Fabregas was not and neither was Kroos, both of whom LVG didn't want.

Depends on which reports you read. Some believe it was better for Man Utd to say they didn't want the player as opposed to the player didn't want us.
    But yeah we might never know. I'm sure there are other players we know nothing about.

Shame to be missing out on the big names though. Tough summer for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

advertsfox wrote: »

Just because the media haven't been told about bids doesn't mean bids haven't been made.

It was RojOFF 30 minutes before it was RojON yesterday according to some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

is he that hard to find and interview because he really needs to start telling us what's happening..

He doesn't NEED to tell us anything ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't buy into this idea that just because Rojo is an Argentine that he will turn out like other Argentines we've bought.
    Bit of a silly argument in my view. Depends on the players attitude and work rate, not his nationality.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement