Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The media haven't a notion. That's been shown time and time again and yet people will believe anything that's written it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't believe that people are questioning whether we've had bad experiences with Argentinian players...

- Veron...universally acclaimed as one of United's worst signings ever

- Heinze...tried to force a move to Liverpool and left under a cloud

- Tevez...left under a cloud and has caused trouble anywhere he's been

Replace Argentinian with Black and you'll realise how pointless and utterly stupid your post is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

is woodward untouchable by the media ? is he that hard to find and interview because he really needs to start telling us what's happening.. he's disappeared since the mutv interview last month.

lol, if anything Woodie should actually not be let anywhere near tv cameras!

He doesnt need to tell you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Don't buy into this idea that just because Rojo is an Argentine that he will turn out like other Argentines we've bought.
    Bit of a silly argument in my view. Depends on the players attitude and work rate, not his nationality.

He appears to have black hair, he may also be like all the other black haired players we had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I find it hilarious that weve been talking to Rojo since the World Cup and not a single story was written until last week after he followed United players.

The press don't have a clue, we could be talking to Vidal and a dozen other targets or not but nobody has a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is woodward untouchable by the media ? is he that hard to find and interview because he really needs to start telling us what's happening.. he's disappeared since the mutv interview last month.

you mean, they cant get near him? most CEO's stay out of media...id struggle to be able to name more than 2 or 3 more CEOs in the PL and thats only because they are loopers.

if you mean they dont want to write about him, he is getting a serious amount of stick last few months. in fact, i doubt there is any man in the spotlight as much as him right now, who is not involved on the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    I honestly cant rememberer any of this trouble he supposedly caused

Because there was none, the rumors about his future were surrounding Tevez right up until the last day of the season and he said nothing except how much he loved the club and the fans and he wanted to stay. People are conflating his actions after he left the club with his actions at the club, he was a model pro when he was a United player.
    beno619 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that weve been talking to Rojo since the World Cup and not a single story was written until last week after he followed United players.

I find it hilarious that we were talking to a player who was clearly very keen to join us and it still took us a full month to actually submit a bid. Guess deals can't be done in 24 hours after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Are Sporting covering any of Nani's wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not too confident of any other signings before the end of the week. I think we might get one more in before the end of the window, but will it be any of the big names people have been wanting? Hard to tell.

Hopefully we will have the likes of Evans, Rafael, RvP and Welbeck fit for the weekend.

Also did anyone else hear that Fellaini got injured today? Briefly heard on the radio he may have ankle problems and was spotted in crutches, ligaments is what was mentioned. Don't know how true it is but wouldn't be ideal to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Trilla wrote: »
    Are Sporting covering any of Nani's wages?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Why in the name of god was nani given a 5 year 120,000 a week contract, 60,000 would have been more than enough. For such a shrewd business money is thrown around like confetti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

absolutely ridiculous to suggest that rojo could be a bad signing as we had trouble with other Argentinians before!! :eek::eek:

by that logic if we signed messi tomorrow would people still have reservations?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RobertKK wrote: »
    They quoted Muller, saying how he answered a question about United making an offer for him.

It was reported earlier in the summer that Muller had turned down Van Gaal who wanted him.

They quoted Müller's answer to a question. They didn't quote the question, I've seen enough of those situations to know that you take it with a massive pinch of salt, especially when Müller mentions foreign clubs and not any club in particular. A little embellishment of the question can make a whole new story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

If there is a 'stereotype' about Argentinian players it's that they tend to be ' passionate.

Veron didn't work out and faded away. Heinze and Tevez were monsters for United, busted their guts. They threw their soothers out when it was made clear they weren't wanted but not going to really hold that against them.

Mascherano was great for Pool. Aguero/Zabeleta/Demichelis do well for City.

If anything this Utd team has a serious passion deficit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because there was none, the rumors about his future were surrounding Tevez right up until the last day of the season and he said nothing except how much he loved the club and the fans and he wanted to stay. People are conflating his actions after he left the club with his actions at the club, he was a model pro when he was a United player.

I find it hilarious that we were talking to a player who was clearly very keen to join us and it still took us a full month to actually submit a bid. Guess deals can't be done in 24 hours after all.

I find it hilarious that you are comparing Van Gaal saying it's possible to sign a player in 24 hours to a drawn out negotiation with 3rd parties involved looking to screw over a club with a great relationship with United. Ah but who cares about ethics anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tippex wrote: »
    very similar in the way we signed Vida and Evra. Realistically they were not known to the masses and look how both turned out. Give the bloke a chance before writing him off ffs

Isn't that what he's saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    absolutely ridiculous to suggest that rojo could be a bad signing as we had trouble with other Argentinians before!! :eek::eek:

by that logic if we signed messi tomorrow would people still have reservations?!

We should stay well clear of messi, Di Maria, Godin, aguero etc. all top class trouble makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

case885 wrote: »
    Why in the name of god was nani given a 5 year 120,000 a week contract, 60,000 would have been more than enough. For such a shrewd business money is thrown around like confetti.

I'd say it's €120,000 which is what he was on before. If anything he should have been on more after winning United the league a few seasons back and not being rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

quad_red wrote: »
    If there is a 'stereotype' about Argentinian players it's that they tend to be ' passionate.

Veron didn't work out and faded away. Heinze and Tevez were monsters for United, busted their guts. They threw their soothers out when it was made clear they weren't wanted but not going to really hold that against them.

Mascherano was great for Pool. Aguero/Zabeleta/Demichelis do well for City.

If anything this Utd team has a serious passion deficit.

Good point, I think it's quite clear that Rojo is delighted to be joining United. The players before talked about how Herrera's passion lifted them, hopefully Rojo coming in will help lift players around him.

If he brings the passion and joy it seems he has to be joining United hopefully it rubs off on the players around him and helps the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

so who's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

so who's next?

Charlie Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

so who's next?

Probably no one but seeing as I thought a CM was needed in the summer and since then Carrick is out until October, and Fellainj looking like he could be out for a few weeks, I'd say a CM or two are pretty urgently needed.

its "the media have no clue" time again.....for what, the 55th time this summer?

we are all guilty of repeating the same s*it over and over again but this is a bit much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Natalie teasing us all

https://vine.co/v/MLBnYQagbix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

twam2008 wrote: »
    Charlie Adam

Leon Osman is better market value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Vidal looks dead in the water at this point.

No idea WTF United are playing at this summer. Needed to sign a strong CM - passing up the chance to sign arguably the best in the world, and nothing done anywhere else. Carvalho, De Jong, Khedira would all be good shouts imo, and seriously improve our midfield - though not to the level Vidal would.

12 days left for Woodward to salvage his reputation, and scalp if LVG has anything to do with it!

No idea WTF United are playing at this summer. Needed to sign a strong CM - passing up the chance to sign arguably the best in the world, and nothing done anywhere else. Carvalho, De Jong, Khedira would all be good shouts imo, and seriously improve our midfield - though not to the level Vidal would.

12 days left for Woodward to salvage his reputation, and scalp if LVG has anything to do with it!

Rojo hasn't even been unveiled yet. Give the media time to get back to Vidal. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

TheDoc wrote: »
    Another great piece from Daniel Storey on transfer ITK rubbish. Worth a read as it provides Vidal as a good example.

I don't succumb to ITK social media myself...but then I don't even acknowledge papers. Sports journalism being slowly sliced apart by this search for ITK fame.

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9429950/F365-Focus

Its also worth pointing out someone here posted a link to a twitter page with "agent" in the name. Im using the internet along time...and things like twitter before most and have seen the rise of this nonsensical accounts.

There is a large trend in the middle east and Asia...of these "ITK" type accounts doing the rounds. You'll spot them easy. Their tweets are retweetes by Indians,Pakistanis etc.

These shams generate a decent add revenue praying on emerging fan markets who simply don't know better. A lot of them have been revealed as teenagers operating in India and Pakistan labeled "agent" something.

So just a word of advice....to ignore them all entirely. They are pure muck. There is NO good type of account like this.

Decent read but slightly amusing that the article is followed by a link to follow him on twitter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Carvahlo is one I am puzzled by, in the same vein as Shaw and Herrera he seems to have been targeted long term through the season and would certainly fulfill a role. Maybe the price put the club off but it seems strange to pull the plug on that (if we were as close as the media suggested) when there seems to be nobody else arriving that is considerably better or anything

• Advertisement

Whatever about the truth on those Muller stories but if Reus rejected us thats hard to take.

He is world class and he would be one of my top picks for a winger. If the article is to be belived it was a big money deal too :(

The Vidal stories all seem to be coming from the Juve side. Many articles say they are trying to create a market for the player and want a big pay off.

Two things are happening behind the scences imo

1.. If UTD are not even asking about him I'd raise serious questions about what LVG wants from the UTD midfeild. Surely he can see the need. Does he not want to spend big in his first window and put too much pressure and expectation on himself?

2. UTD are interested but worried about buying a crock. When I say crock I'm referring to Vidals knee. Behind the scenes it could be like the Torres situation. His last season with Liverpool was poor and iirc he came back from the 2010 WC and required surgery on his knee which I think he had. Rumor has it the Liverpool medical staff advised to sell as they knew he would never be the same again after the results of the knee op and sold Chelsea a 50m flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

its "the media have no clue" time again.....for what, the 55th time this summer?

we are all guilty of repeating the same s*it over and over again but this is a bit much now.

Is it "everything is sh*t and Woody is useless" time for the eight billionth time in the last 15 months?

IMHO, you should be among the very last in this thread that should legitimately complain about boring repetitive arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another Vidal option is that Van Gaal has his heart set on Strootman and doesn't want Vidal because he can't have/play both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Don't know if it's been posted, but great article here on ITKs:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im glad nobody knows whats on.

I just hope Ed and co are working overtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RayCun wrote: »
    Another Vidal option is that Van Gaal has his heart set on Strootman and doesn't want Vidal because he can't have/play both

Can't play 2 amazing central midfielders in a 2 or 3 man midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/1990754/manchester-united-fans-optimism-was-replaced-by-frustration-after-the-clubs-defeat-to-swansea

Not sure if this was posted here before (apologies if it was). An excellent article by Andy Mitten. (And yes, I say this because I mainly agree with most of it ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RayCun wrote: »

Why couldn't he play both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Whatever about the truth on those Muller stories but if Reus rejected us thats hard to take.

He is world class and he would be one of my top picks for a winger. If the article is to be belived it was a big money deal too :(

The Vidal stories all seem to be coming from the Juve side. Many articles say they are trying to create a market for the player and want a big pay off.

Two things are happening behind the scences imo

1.. If UTD are not even asking about him I'd raise serious questions about what LVG wants from the UTD midfeild. Surely he can see the need. Does he not want to spend big in his first window and put too much pressure and expectation on himself?

2. UTD are interested but worried about buying a crock. When I say crock I'm referring to Vidals knee. Behind the scenes it could be like the Torres situation. His last season with Liverpool was poor and iirc he came back from the 2010 WC and required surgery on his knee which I think he had. Rumor has it the Liverpool medical staff advised to sell as they knew he would never be the same again after the results of the knee op and sold Chelsea a 50m flop.

Did you get a deal on buying such a large tinfoil hat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Just under 12 and a half days left – I fully expect us to bring in 2 players in that time.

Now that Rojo is in the bag do people really think the club are going to sit on their hands from now until Sep 1?

I don’t expect a Vidal or a Hummels or Di Maria but I do think they’re working flat out to get in another couple. The news about Fellani is positive – it might focus the mind on getting in a CM such as De Jong. Blind seemingly doesn’t want to leave Ajax but maybe VG is still working that one.

I would expect at worst we will see one more purchase and a season long loan (which if we’re after Strootman would be a good call)

Did you get a deal on buying such a large tinfoil hat?

and what exactly do you disgree with? Like I said, imo. Not stating facts.

A dodgy knee would worry any club and Juve wont seem to let the story die.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Is it "everything is sh*t and Woody is useless" time for the eight billionth time in the last 15 months?

IMHO, you should be among the very last in this thread that should legitimately complain about boring repetitive arguments.

Here is a good article about the ridiculous ITK culture. Which some people take as solid information around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Replace Argentinian with Black and you'll realise how pointless and utterly stupid your post is.

dAnmcFc.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can't play 2 amazing central midfielders in a 2 or 3 man midfield?

Might think they are too similar, might not be given the money to buy two very expensive central midfielders.
    I'm not saying its definite, just another possible explanation

Is that Mikey live from the balls.ie studio? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

and what exactly do you disgree with? Like I said, imo. Not stating facts.

A dodgy knee would worry any club and Juve wont seem to let the story die.

Take out the knee thing and it all sounds mental.

LVG purposely failing is his first season to downplay expectation, because a likkle bit of pressure is there?

Chelsea would have seen any medical reports about Torres, its like you are saying Liverpool hid reports from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is that Mikey live from the balls.ie studio? :D

Pffft...

We don't have a TV here.

v3ttel wrote: »

talking about the problems at our club, problems that keep getting worse and worse are legatimate discussion points in our club.

people looking to constantly express bittness towards the media are not.

but see, one of them is popular around here, so it doesnt bother those who thrive on insulting others who relay "negative" things about the club.

now, as ive said to the two other people who are as obsessed with my posts as you are in the last month, if youve got a problem with what i say about the club or Woodward, put me on ignore and you wont have the problem anymore.

i dont expect to have to engage with you again and i think the thread will be a much better place for everybody if you do as i ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Here is a good article about the ridiculous ITK culture. Which some people take as solid information around here

Does this mean you'll stop using the same stuff to prop up your opinions?

Zico wrote: »
    Does this mean you'll stop using the same stuff to prop up your opinions?

jwdrp.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement