Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

1. Rio
    2. Vidic
    3. Evra
    4. Giggs
    5. Buttner
    6. Fabio
    7. Bebe
    8. Nani
    9. Henriquez
    10. Macheda
    does that answer you serious question?

Bebe and Macheda will be down on any list you will see (sky sports, transferleague etc etc) but hey, big bad homerjay is not allowed to mention this because he will upset poor little Irishirish on boards.

ok Those 4 didnt even play last season. Surprised you didnt mention the kit man.

Vidic is probably the only one there any of us are upset about.

Perhaps buttner if we dont sign a replacement, but meh.

The rest such as giggs who would be 41 this year and rio going to be 37 this year dont really have much place in the team and would leave us in a worse state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RayCun wrote: »
    think you left out a couple of "I understands", and a "I heard from a mate that"

Actually a bit of commone sense would tell you those phrases are the opposite of what I say. I've never used the mate things

Even when referencing a source I'm skeptical unless its solid.

The I heard from a mate stuff comes from the club bashing, anything negative is true side. Your post missed the mark by a long way and is more directed at the same ITK culture I was questioning.

Try harder next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So thats a resounding no on homers post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I hope United win this weekend and we can all go back to being friends ;)

D3tdZ9d.jpg

If Rafael, Evans and RVP are fit for the weekend I would be happy seeing:

De Gea

Jones--Evans--Smalling
    Rafael
    Rojo
    Herrera--*Fletcher

Mata

Rooney---RVP

*Or Cleverley

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

1. Rio
    2. Vidic
    3. Evra
    4. Giggs
    5. Buttner
    6. Fabio
    7. Bebe
    8. Nani
    9. Henriquez
    10. Macheda

does that answer you serious question?

Bebe and Macheda will be down on any list you will see (sky sports, transferleague etc etc) but hey, big bad homerjay is not allowed to mention this because he will upset poor little Irishirish on boards.

You could argue that we lost one first team player and got 10 players off the books, many of whom were on very high wages (Nani excluded).

We brought in 3 first teamers. We will proabaly bring in one more.

• Advertisement

RGDATA! wrote: »
    No need to patronise me but thanks for your answer.
    In short I wouldn't have thought it implausible that we were interested in both Kroos/Fabregas but both chose to go elsewhere? I'm not saying I know this for a fact, but it seems more likely to me than the idea we weren't interested in either.

Your right sorry about that. I was writing a few replies to the overly negatives and din't check you id.

Your right to think we weren't interested, its good to see some people thinking straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If Rafael, Evans and RVP are fit for the weekend I would be happy seeing:

De Gea

Jones--Evans--Smalling
    Rafael
    Rojo
    Herrera--*Fletcher

Mata

Rooney---RVP

*Or Cleverly

I'm thinking it'll be:
    De Gea
    Jones - Smaling - Blackett
    Rafael _________________ Rojo
    Herrera Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney RVP

We haven't even unveiled Rojo yet. I think it would be strange to see him start and play 90mins. Surely he'll need time to adapt to the LvG system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

We are playing 3 at the back, and of the 4 defenders you mention 3 are very injury prone (one is injured right now) - with the 4th (Rojo) being a bit of a mad b'stard with regards to his booking and red card record. Based on the current players we have, we have to expect that Blacket and Keane will be needed for a decent number of games, and thus need to be premiership/first team quality - imo anyway.

They'll never be first team quality if they don't get some sort of chance, being 5th and 6th choice centre backs is a pretty acceptable spot for a budding 20 year old centre back is it not? Wait, no.....spunk another 30 million on a "world class" centre back and stunt their development even further.

Van Gaal has already said they will not play every game but they will play some games. This is how you develop young players.

How many players exactly do you think we should have in the squad? Remember, we're not playing in Europe this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

We are playing 3 at the back, and of the 4 defenders you mention 3 are very injury prone (one is injured right now) - with the 4th (Rojo) being a bit of a mad b'stard with regards to his booking and red card record. Based on the current players we have, we have to expect that Blacket and Keane will be needed for a decent number of games, and thus need to be premiership/first team quality - imo anyway.

We were talking about the overall quality of the playing staff, not the suitability of the formation. I have plenty of reservations about how this formation is being coached and whether or not we have enough depth of CBs to implement it effectively (but I'm happy to trust LVG on that for now). That doesn't change the fact that the squad is stronger this season than last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

This thread moves way too fast :mad:
    I'm missing big chunks of it.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm thinking it'll be:
    De Gea
    Jones - Smaling - Blackett
    Rafael _________________ Rojo
    Herrera Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney RVP

We haven't even unveiled Rojo yet. I think it would be strange to see him start and play 90mins. Surely he'll need time to adapt to the LvG system.

True I'm a bit reluctant on the idea of him starting because VG seems like he will want to give him time to adapt to the new system and probably won't want to just throw him in. Saying that I would love to see him start, just a team I'd like to see.

what argument? i replied to you just to say its not the same group of players and you agreed with it, we moved on...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

The word "argument" doesn't just mean a back and forth, it can also mean a idea, or claim, put forward. You made an argument that the quality of the playing staff has regressed this season. That argument is made to look weaker by you including players that we all know weren't needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Highlight vid of Rojo at the world cup

I think most big chunks are just arguments about whether or not we think the media actually knows whats going on, who's to blame for lack of activity in transfer window, and whether or not our team is good enough ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    We were talking about the overall quality of the playing staff, not the suitability of the formation. I have plenty of reservations about how this formation is being coached and whether or not we have enough depth of CBs to implement it effectively. That doesn't change the fact that the squad is stronger this season than last.

how can you separate the formation being implemented from a discussion on the quality of the squad. The formation directly impacts the balance and the balance has to feed into the quality.

Ie. Right now it doesn't matter too much how bad the wingers are, because we aren't using them on the wing.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think most big chunks are just arguments about whether or not we think the media actually knows whats going on, who's to blame for lack of activity in transfer window, and whether or not our team is good enough ha.

Yes, Woodward, Its not.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

but hey, big bad homerjay is not allowed to mention this because he will upset poor little Irishirish on boards.
    IrishIrish wrote: »
    :D Why would I be upset? I get great entertainment laughing at your posts. Keep up the good work 'Big bad homerjay' ;)

Lads, I get this is a topic everyone feels emotional about but there's a really sense developing that people are attacking posters and not posts. Name-calling and attacks on posters will not be tolerated. While there's tension in the thread, there's been very little modding needed so far on the matter.

While I may not agree with everyone's stance, I think we can all agree that we can put forward opinions without resorting to name calling or being condescending. Don't take it down the route of going after the poster and not the post, ok? Consider this a quick message to stay on the right side of the line. It's not that the line has been crossed yet but as soon as I start getting the reports, I feel the need to issue a reminder like this one to think before you post.

Personally I would like to see Januzaj up front beside Rooney this weekend. His pace and style would suit the formation, imo and get more out of the rest of the side. We looked far better with Welbeck up top in pre-season over Chico, and Januzaj is the closest we have (who is fit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You lucky git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pro. F wrote: »
    The word "argument" doesn't just mean a back and forth, it can also mean a idea, or claim, put forward. You made an argument that the quality of the playing staff has regressed this season. That argument is made to look weaker by you including players that we all know weren't needed.

have you see me use Bebe, macheda, Henriquez in an argument to show our squad is weaker here today?our first team is weaker IMO due to us losing 5 defenders, ive said that many times, i dont think you will see any posts where i mentioed Bebe, macheda or Henriquez specifically. i have mentioned players regards wage bills reduction.

and incase you didnt read my point, the "discussion" here was about the same group of players. you agreed with my point and we moved on.

now youve come back with a completely different point so im not sure why you are doing that though thats normal on here it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Personally I would like to see Januzaj up front beside Rooney this weekend. His pace and style would suit the formation, imo and get more out of the rest of the side. We looked far better with Welbeck up top in pre-season over Chico, and Januzaj is the closest we have (who is fit).

That'd be a far better option than going with Hernandez again. Let him roam to either side and be the 'Robben' of the formation so to speak. Players like him you have to get on the ball in attack as much as possible.

how can you separate the formation being implemented from a discussion on the quality of the squad. The formation directly impacts the balance and the balance has to feed into the quality.

Ie. Right now it doesn't matter too much how bad the wingers are, because we aren't using them on the wing.

Like this:

- It is reasonable to expect LVG to do a better job than Moyes with a group of players

- The group of players we have this year is stronger than the group we had last year

- The system LVG is trying right now might not be the best for the players we have. I'm not too worried yet, I'm willing to trust him for while and see how it all works out.

There, three distinct issues that don't need to be lumped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

That'd be a far better option than going with Hernandez again. Let him roam to either side and be the 'Robben' of the formation so to speak. Players like him you have to get on the ball in attack as much as possible.

Lads this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I've thought it for a while, but Hernandez doesn't seem anywhere near good enough to get into this United team.

His link up play and hold up play is fairly poor. I understand all players have their strengths but his, his pace and ability to tow the line, play off the shoulder of the defender are hugely overrated. He's caught offside loads, and very rarely is seen blistering past people at pace. He is a decent enough finisher, and positionally he's good at getting into the box etc... but I'd just expect a hell of a lot more from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

now, as ive said to the two other people who are as obsessed with my posts as you are in the last month, if youve got a problem with what i say about the club or Woodward, put me on ignore and you wont have the problem anymore.

Doesn't work. More people come in and quote you :)

I can't escape!!!!!

have you see me use Bebe, macheda, Henriquez in an argument to show our squad is weaker here today?our first team is weaker IMO due to us losing 5 defenders, ive said that many times, i dont think you will see any posts where i mentioed Bebe, macheda or Henriquez specifically. i have mentioned players regards wage bills reduction.

and incase you didnt read my point, the "discussion" here was about the same group of players. you agreed with my point and we moved on.

now youve come back with a completely different point so im not sure why you are doing that though thats normal on here it seems.

Yes, here you were counting those players in your assessment of whether the squad has strengthened or weakened.

Nobody has come back with a completely different point. You tried to pass off an argument that losing Machede, Henriquez and the like has made us weaker, by only mentioning the number of players and not specifically naming the ins and outs. Everybody, including me, saw what you were doing and pulled you up on it.

You snooze you looze :D

Mrca running with a UTD havd a big offer on the table for Di Maria story now.

So that should mean we are not even bidding.

They say CR7 and Ramos are pleading with Florentino Pérez to keep the player.

When it comes to Madrid related stories are they as unreliable?

http://www.marca.com/2014/08/20/en/football/real_madrid/1408533740.html?a=PR8a9940b223090b9dc192613246a6c6e6e&t=1408546479

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

La Sexta in Spain say Di Maria wants €8 million a season, read he is on about €3 million at the moment. Real Madrid are offering him €5 million, as that is all they can afford.
    Buying all those top players is costly....

Marca in Spain are saying Ronaldo and Ramos went to Perez to plead with him to keep Di Maria, but all the indications are Di Maria is leaving and he has a big offer on the table from United.
    http://www.bernabeudigital.com/primer-plano/marca-ramos-y-cristiano-han-pedido-a-florentino-la-continuidad-de-di-maria-14840 in Spanish.

Ronaldo could take a pay cut to keep Di Maria... :p

It will probably be the usual, ADM goes to PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Madrid want to sell him, because there's nowhere for him to play any more, but don't want to be seen to want to sell him. There might be a big bid in, or they might just want Marca to run the story that there's a big bid in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You lucky git.

I'm just skipping to the end and hoping to see some solid transfer news.
    Should have done it all Summer :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If Rojo is thrown right in, will he replace Young or Blackett I wonder? There's a lot to be said for starting Blackett and letting Rojo at LWB

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You snooze you looze :D

http://www.marca.com/2014/08/20/en/football/real_madrid/1408533740.html?a=PR8a9940b223090b9dc192613246a6c6e6e&t=1408546479

Marca would be fairly decent for RM news as far as I am aware.

Lads this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I've thought it for a while, but Hernandez doesn't seem anywhere near good enough to get into this United team.

His link up play and hold up play is fairly poor. I understand all players have their strengths but his, his pace and ability to tow the line, play off the shoulder of the defender are hugely overrated. He's caught offside loads, and very rarely is seen blistering past people at pace. He is a decent enough finisher, and positionally he's good at getting into the box etc... but I'd just expect a hell of a lot more from him.

That's not an unpopular opinion at all, loads of people say it all the time.

I disagree completely and I think goal poachers always come in for this unfair criticism. Unfortunately for Hernandez, I think the best use of the 3412 is to have one CF (strongest asset goal scoring, ie Rooney, RvP, Chico) and one more complete attacker (Welbeck, Januzaj, etc). So he could find himself with even more limited game time soon.

I think if the team was set up in a way that got the most out of him he would be good enough for a title challenging team. But that's not going to happen when we also have Rooney and RvP.

I also think you have overlooked his best asset. Not preying on the last shoulder of the defence, but rather movement in the box. He is great at finding the right space when team-mates have the ball in the final third. Chasing a through pass to be the first United player in the final third to touch it, I don't think he's so great at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ronaldo could take a pay cut to keep Di Maria... :p

He's also more than welcome to come with ADM to United :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's also more than welcome to come with ADM to United :pac:

with all these astronomical wage offers we're throwing about the place( Mueller, Reus et al) surely we could afford CR7 and ADM and a few more of that ilk....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

J. Marston wrote: »

That deal looks dead, if it was ever alive in the first place.
    just cause he was not "on the market" does not mean that if a big enough offer came they would turn it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

THERE'S ONLY ONNNNNNE, KEVIN STROOTMAN! THERE'S ONLY ONNNNNNE, KEVIN STROOTMAN!

Sing it with me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    If Rojo is thrown right in, will he replace Young or Blackett I wonder? There's a lot to be said for starting Blackett and letting Rojo at LWB

If you were to go with form then it would be Young to make way but Van Gaal probably wants Rojo as that left sides center back so that's where he'll play. From what I saw of him he didn't look awfully suit LWB.

ONE KEVIN STROOTMAN! THERE'S ONLY ONNNNNNE, KEVIN STROOTMAN!

KEVIN STROOTMAN! THERE'S ONLY ONNNNNNE, KEVIN STROOTMAN!

lalalalalalalalalalala STROOTMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Thread is going to have >2000 posts in less than 4 days. Astonishing stuff really.

At this stage Carvalho, and one of Howedes and Blind and I would be a happy camper. If Di Maria is bought too then all the better.

Its not a crazy opinion at all.

Chico is good at sniffing out a goal. Being in the right time at the right place when the team is creating chances for him. He is not so good at creating his own chances and having an influence if he drops deep, sometimes he does but its rare and not his strenght.

His goals to min ration is good and his poaching style can lead to him being offside a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My wishlist for the summer was:
      [*]LB
      [*]CB
      [*]CM

[*]CM

So I'm pretty close to satisfied.

My wishlist for the summer was:

• LB
      • CB
      • CM
      • CM
      So I'm pretty close to satisfied.

My wish list

Incomings
      CB – Hummels
      CB – AN other
      LB – Shaw
      CM – Herrera

CM – Vidalonoff
      CM – young player
      AM – Di Maria

Out goings
      Evra
      Cleverly
      Nani
      Anderson
      Chico
      Fellaini

Some good work done
      More to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fellaini on crutches after training

Ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Thread is going to have >2000 posts in less than 4 days. Astonishing stuff really.

It's rumoured that in some parts of the world captives are forced to read old United Superthreads aloud for extended periods of time as a form of torture.

Very effective I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Fellaini on crutches after training

Ssn

It's funny that Moyes got so much stick last year for his intense training sessions after we picked up a lot of injuries.

Van Gaal has had them training double shifts since he's arrived and the injury list is shooting up but no criticism.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

David Conn writing in the Guardian about the state of the club and the Glazers.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/20/glazers-thrive-manchester-united-flounder-ed-woodward

At this stage Carvalho, and one of Howedes and Blind and I would be a happy camper. If Di Maria is bought too then all the better.

I heard from my ITK source that Woodward hasn't been able to make as much signings as he wants because he's too busy trying to catch up on the United Superthread. My mate says he only now started into this one after catching up to the last one. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reedsie wrote: »
      It's funny that Moyes got so much stick last year for his intense training sessions after we picked up a lot of injuries.

Van Gaal has had them training double shifts since he's arrived and the injury list is shooting up but no criticism.

:confused:

Moyes literally ran them into the ground to get them fit with little ball work. Apparently with LVG it's all about ball work, so the sessions would be lighter and they have sleep time between each session.
      The injury problem goes back Fergies time though. We simply have certain players who are mad of glass.

• Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement