Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

steoin wrote: »

If you're going to call someone out at least have the balls to use their name.

This cryptic BS makes the thread a pain to read for people who don't get the chance to read it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ericzeking wrote: »
    I was merely jesting in reference to a previous post...you clearly didn't get it...continue speak your mind to the upmost good sir

Ah fair enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

That is an awful amount of vitriol for something that's been proven untrue.

If the glazers weren't here where would we be?

What???? You're joking, right? Please tell me you are joking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

To brighten up the day a bit...

10616150_10152382015197746_225398093782289757_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

This cryptic BS makes the thread a pain to read for people who don't get the chance to read it all.

Well jez, I thought you of all people would be able to work it out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bye Nani! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Manchester United @ManUtd · 3m
    BREAKING: Marcos Rojo is a Red. The Argentina defender has signed for #mufc on a five-year contract. #RojoIsRed

Manchester United @ManUtd · 1m
    Marcos Rojo will wear the no.5 shirt for Manchester United. #RojoIsRed

BvgFmPaIcAAbaAL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rojo is the new number 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Rojo has the no.5 shirt and hes said:
    It is such an honour to say I now play for #mufc in the Premier League… It’s a dream for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Decent defender in and Nani out, today is a good day. Hopefully there'll be some more activity in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Manchester United @ManUtd · 3m

Manchester United @ManUtd · 1m

BvgFmPaIcAAbaAL.jpg
    You beat me too it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What???? You're joking, right? Please tell me you are joking

No.

I asked a question?

Are you gonna answer it?

I don't think we would be where we are now if not for the glazers.

Realistically, it wasn't such a huge risk as some think. United were one of the most successful clubs in the world.
    They weren't going to go bust.

I do understand the hate but it's because people don't understand the business behind it or the finance.

They didn't skimp on anything, everything has been expanded and improved.
    If you want to blame then for transfers, then you are wrong.

No.

I asked a question?

Are you gonna answer it?

I don't think we would be where we are now if not for the glazers.

Realistically, it wasn't such a huge risk as some think. United were one of the most successful clubs in the world.
    They weren't going to go bust.

I do understand the hate but it's because people don't understand the business behind it or the finance.

They didn't skimp on anything, everything has been expanded and improved.
    If you want to blame then for transfers, then you are wrong.

They have drained hundreds of millions out of the club to pay for their borrowing to buy the club.....

You think we wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for them?!

And where did I say anything about transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

G'wan the Rojo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I cant help but feel meh about this transfer..

Not seen much of him bar world cup but he did not stick out.

Still its a CB bought. I felt meh about Vidic too at time he signef so there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Now fill up the number 7 and 9 shirts with quality and we might have a shot at top 4.

steoin wrote: »
    Well jez, I thought you off all people would be able to work it out......

Do you plan on saying anything worthwhile today?

In other news, happy with the Rojo signing, very comfortable on the ball, my only worry of his at the moment, is that sometimes he seems to lack concentration at times and it leads to poor positioning, but that's something that can be worked on.

I'm looking at paying Nani's wages as more of a calculated investment more than anything, if a season of regular football brings him back to top form he'll have increased his value quite a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Does Rojo speak English?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Still its a CB bought. I felt meh about Vidic too at time he signef so there you go.

Couldn't agree more Kew
    It's all a bit well that's good but what's nexxt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Does Rojo speak English?

just showed his interview on mutv. it was in spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Another friend for the Spanish speaking boys, time to move Hernandez on for Vidal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That doesn't make sense when you consider the transfer fees they are approving. It's not like it's bargain basement shopping.

No, it's not bargain basement but resale potential always seems to be key.

I get that Rojo and Shaw might be amazing and are costing a fair bit but they're what 19 and 24?

I think this is a key factor in their thinking.

BTW I think this isn't a bad way to go with defenders but will rarely deliver a title winning team in terms of midfield and attack. Special talent costs and you can't expect to unearth enough special 20 year olds.

They have drained hundreds of millions out of the club to pay for their borrowing to buy the club.....

You think we wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for them?!

And where did I say anything about transfers?

Ok, if they bought the club outright with their own money from their mattress, would be entitled to take money from the club?

Because that loan they used from the club to buy it was money that never existed . It's as if they took their cash from their wallet and paid for it that way and they would be fully entitled to take money for themselves.

It's not like we need that money to pay for the tea and coffee. We have been up at the top since they came in.

I would be angry too if we had turned out like arsenal.

But the money they used never existed, it wasn't sitting in a vault at the club.

It's the same with transfers, the money for rojo for example is funded by a bank, not the current account of the club.

I would imagine they have a lot of the clubs money tied up in investments and funds making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

brinty wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Kew
    It's all a bit well that's good but what's nexxt...

I dont want to have a go at lad before he has kicked a ball either.

He cant be that bad if he plays for Argentina.

I think its more the fact Nani is gone then us getting CB. Also paying Nani wages smells of desperation from us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its hard to know what to make of it, its a very underwhelming signing but then so was the arrival of the likes of Vidic and Evra. I wasn't one of those calling for superstar marquee players, identifying and then signing quality players in their early twenties for under £20m is one of the better ways to create a title winning team in my opinion. Hopefully Rojo settles in quick and makes an impression.

I do laugh at those saying they are happy because he is comfortable on the ball or that he lacks concentration. Lets face it lads, none of us has the slightest fucking clue what this lad is really like, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Good bit of business so long as Nani comes back match fit with a 20+ goal scoring record for this season.

Considering David Luiz going for such a high price before the World Cup and James Rodríguez going for such a high price after what kind of inflation or deflation in prices has the World Cup had on the market as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Have a feeling that's us done for the summer now.

Because that loan they used from the club to buy it was money that never existed .

For money that never existed it sure generated a lot of interest that needed repayment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

It was meant to be lighthearted in nature and felt others might enjoy the article, it's a good read, although I can see how my comment could be construed as such.

Good bit of business so long as Nani comes back match fit with a 20+ goal scoring record for this season.

I hope Nani tears it up over there and then sticks two fingers up to his detractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Redcafe have added a nice new feature to their forum in recent months, where they have polls up about Various topics - here are some of the results (majority of rest are about World Cup.)

i left out some small options which cover about 2 or 3% for example "awful signing", full scores are visible if you look for them.

i think it could be a nice new addition to this forum, as long as opposition supporters didnt deliberately try to hijack it like the Moyes one last season.

are you happy with the signings of? (options i picked are in bold)

Luke Shaw
    Good signing (75%)
    Too expensive (18.8%)
    Mixed feelings(5.8%)

Herrera
    Happy 90%.
    Meh 8.5%.

Rojo (still open)
    Good Purchase (57.6%)
    Mixed Feelings (31%)

How many signings will we make before end of Window (before Rojo deal)?
    0 - 16.6%.
    1 - 21.8%
    2 - 38%
    3 - 20.2%
    4 - 3.4%

Who should be captain (before Rooney was announced)?
    RVP - 43%
    Rooney - 17.6%
    DDG - 10.3%
    J Evans - 5.9%

Who do you blame for last season?
    Moyes - 63.9%
    players - 4.0%
    Board - 1.5%
    Fergie - 2.8%
    All of the above - 27.1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

I hope Nani tears it up over there and then sticks two fingers up to his detractors.

Look what Bebe did in Portugal last season, wouldn't surprise me if Nani looks an absolute beast this season for Sporting.

Knowing UTD they'll sell him on for €3m next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I saw a post a few days ago from a Sporting Lisbon fan on Red Cafe where he gave a detailed analysis of Rojo. The gyst of it was that he is often a standout defender (in a good way) but is Iiable to do stupid things.

I do laugh at those saying they are happy because he is comfortable on the ball or that he lacks concentration. Lets face it lads, none of us has the slightest fucking clue what this lad is really like, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

I have a username, you can quote me or use it when referencing me instead of this cowardly stuff!

I get that you don't watch a lot of football, your prolonged opinion has proven that to me already, but I happen to do a fair bit of gambling on soccer and I watch all sorts of games at the weekend/midweek thanks to the internet and firstrowsports.

So please stop assuming everyone is as clueless as you and just doing guesswork, that's just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

What squad number will he be wearing lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not sure if mentioned...but the club have indicated we made no offers for Muller and Reus.

Fully believe it aswell. Noticed a few internet pages on newspaper made some cheeky updates removing United mentioned at all.

Seriously. If 3/4 of mainstream media journalists were forced to write actual proper footballing pieces rather then transfer gossip...they'd be sacked..

He got number 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

• Advertisement

I have a username, you can quote me or use it when referencing me instead of this cowardly stuff!

I get that you don't watch a lot of football, your prolonged opinion has proven that to me already, but I happen to do a fair bit of gambling on soccer and I watch all sorts of games at the weekend/midweek thanks to the internet and firstrowsports.

So please stop assuming everyone is as clueless as you and just doing guesswork, that's just you.

Sure you do! Two thumbs up!!

Ok, if they bought the club outright with their own money from their mattress, would be entitled to take money from the club?

Because that loan they used from the club to buy it was money that never existed . It's as if they took their cash from their wallet and paid for it that way and they would be fully entitled to take money for themselves.

It's not like we need that money to pay for the tea and coffee. We have been up at the top since they came in.

I would be angry too if we had turned out like arsenal.

But the money they used never existed, it wasn't sitting in a vault at the club.

It's the same with transfers, the money for rojo for example is funded by a bank, not the current account of the club.

I would imagine they have a lot of the clubs money tied up in investments and funds making money.

It never existed? They borrowed it! It had to be paid back. It was the earnings of the club that went to paying it back, and the interest on it and the countless fees involved.
    I give up

Sure you do! Two thumbs up!!

Boards will only let me give you one thumbs up, buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't forget the Glazers still own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers too so they need money for that end especially seeing as it is the pre-season for the NFL atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Won't prove much considering the standard of the league, Bebe excelling there is enough of a pointer towards this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Blatter wrote: »
    I saw a post a few days ago from a Sporting Lisbon fan on Red Cafe where he gave a detailed analysis of Rojo. The gyst of it was that he is often a standout defender (in a good way) but is Iiable to do stupid things.

There was a time when you could say the exact same thing about Rio Ferdinand before he became one of (if not) the best in the world.

For money that never existed it sure generated a lot of interest that needed repayment.

Which is also money we never would of had. But that's just oppurtunity cost of that money.

But the loan was created by the bank, the bank had that money in deposits, so that money gets transferred to United/whoever.

What happens to that money? Someone owned that money right?
    Yes. But the bank knows someone isn't going to come in and withdraw all their money. People withdraw 20 quid every few days, we can agree on that right?

And the bank knows for sure, all their depositors aren't going to come in one day and withdraw all their money. Banks only hold a % of their deposits. The rest is tied up in loans and investments.

So yes, the money never really existed in physical terms.

The bank could have said no but that money would still have gone from the bank to a johnny or Mary buying their car.

The only risk is if United did a Leeds and went broke.

I understand the perception people have of the loan but it's wrong.

Debt can be easily managed when you make **** loads of money and banks want to do business with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lets face it lads, none of us has the slightest fucking clue what this lad is really like, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

That works both ways, people being "underwhelmed" are as bad as those at the other end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

There was a time when you could say the exact same thing about Rio Ferdinand before he became one of (if not) the best in the world.

Are you serious?

• Advertisement

It never existed? They borrowed it! It had to be paid back. It was the earnings of the club that went to paying it back, and the interest on it and the countless fees involved.
    I give up

Yes. There is a cost.

But would that money be there if it wasn't for the glazers?

I think there is another poster in here who understands economics or finance so he might clear it up better than I have.

I haven't studied loan creation in a few years so I'm probably not being as clear as I can.

But in my opinion, it was a sound business move and has proved to be, even withstanding the recession. That's how sound it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement