Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I need a new sig. Bebe, AKA the greatest player of all-time, is gone.

Therefore, I'm putting in a request that Mikey comes out of retirement one last time to gift me another genius sig.

This time I want a Rojo one. I'm thinking of a Marco Polo themed one with Rojo rowing in a boat going on an adventure and maybe van Gaal and some others are on it.

Basically the crazier the better. It seems to suit his character.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Should I read the 30 new pages that were posted today? Or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

JerCotter7 wrote: »

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Whats the craic with Utd paying all of Nani's wages during his year long loan spell at Sporting?? Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Usual arguments over difference of opinions.

Most informative thing is probably that Rojo deal is done and he will be wearing the number 5. Also RVP is fit for Sunderland clash, while Fellaini got injured in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

No, lot's of bickering and more talk of net spend than you'd get on a dozen liverpool thread. A low key welcome for Rogo, but we're not sure if he'll give us our mojo back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Whats the craic with Utd paying all of Nani's wages during his year long loan spell at Sporting?? Seems a bit odd.

For the 4m it's worth it, we get Rojo, they get nani who will hopefully play a stormer next season, we either get an inform nani back or recoup that 4m back in higher transfer fee then we would of got at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I guess that's what it took to get the deal done!

Nani probably (reluctantly) agreed if he didn't get a wage cut and Sporting could not afford it.

True enough and at least he will be playing week in week out and may attract interest from a few bigger clubs. Nani on his day is a top player surprised it never worked out for him at Utd.

Has that actually been confirmed? I know its widely speculated but I haven't checked it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'll give you the highlights

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

True enough and at least he will be playing week in week out and may attract interest from a few bigger clubs. Nani on his day is a top player surprised it never worked out for him at Utd.

Isnt Nani in the last year of his contract?
    Edit... sorry just read he signed a five year deal last season.

kryogen wrote: »
    Has that actually been confirmed? I know its widely speculated but I haven't checked it yet.

Read it on the BBC website there, 4.8 million in wages for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

kippy wrote: »
    signed a 5 year deal last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

kippy wrote: »

No he signed a new 5 year deal last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are paying a player who does not play for us for a total of 4.8million

When you think about it for a moment it stinks of desperation, poor negotiation and down right stupid money management

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Just looking on physioroom there.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

With 8 out, we have more players injured than any other premier league club.

Chelsea have 0 players injured
    M City only have Negredo out.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/statuses/502188787305574400

Scholes fearing that we could be heading for the football wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

When you think about it for a moment it stinks of desperation, poor negotiation and down right stupid money management

yet another "makes no sense" deal. no way we are paying all his wages, i refuse to accept we'd be that incompetent.

he is our best winger IMO and to be paying another club almost 5million to take him for a year, just boggles the mind. if we wanted rid of him, surely we could just have sold him though it appears that due to the high wages we have given these players, nobody wants to buy them off us.

and of course Valencia getting a new contract just shows they dont learn from mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I need a new sig. Bebe, AKA the greatest player of all-time, is gone.

Therefore, I'm putting in a request that Mikey comes out of retirement one last time to gift me another genius sig.

This time I want a Rojo one. I'm thinking of a Marco Polo themed one with Rojo rowing in a boat going on an adventure and maybe van Gaal and some others are on it.

Basically the crazier the better. It seems to suit his character.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much. Thanks in advance.

tumblr_inline_n8262oZSUe1s7p9yt.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/juventus-declare-manchester-united-target-4080779

Vidal is now 100% fit according to Juventus.

Just in time for Friday too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rojo, Evans, Smalling, Jones and Blackett is still one short IMO and the most important part is missing, we need a commanding player at the heart and Van Gaal needs to find one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/statuses/502188787305574400

I love Paul and always will. Im very happy that he speaks his mind. Just find it really strange that a player who was seemly very quiet, is so outspoken now. Fair dues to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

that can't be true about nani's wages ffs :eek:

Rojo, Evans, Smalling, Jones and Blackett is still one short IMO and the most important part is missing, we need a commanding player at the heart and Van Gaal needs to find one

I imagine most people are expecting Evans to step into the role as leader in the back. He seems vocal during matches and hopefully becomes that commanding player we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

So better we pay 4.8m for him not to get his game, take up a squad spot, and be even harder to shift next season or season after and so on.

Or take the hit this season, (chance) he regains some kind of form and Sporting or someone else decide he has what it takes and splashes the cash and takes him off our books next year for 15m+... all the while it acts as a sweetener in a deal to recruit a badly needed Defender.

Makes sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Most people are expecting us to sign a decent midfielder, I wouldn't count on that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »

Him and 1000s of other united fans feel like that too.

If he is thinking it though, surely there must be a feeling in or around the club that something is wrong with the hierarchy and before long this is all going to burst - heads will roll sooner or later unless the Glazers really dont give a s*it.

interesting to see though that he says we need 5 top players asap - again, something that many fans would agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So better we pay 4.8m for him not to get his game, take up a squad spot, and be even harder to shift next season or season after and so on.

Or take the hit this season, (chance) he regains some kind of form and Sporting or someone else decide he has what it takes and splashes the cash and takes him off our books next year for 15m+... all the while it acts as a sweetener in a deal to recruit a badly needed Defender.

Makes sense to me

A player who was deemed useful enough to come on at the weekend and actually looked bothered by the fact that United were losing? That alone disproves the fact he's not needed in the squad. Works well with Rooney too who doesn't seem to have a great understanding with a lot of the current crop.

I'll be very interested to see who Sporting get in the CL this season.

Unearthly wrote: »
    that can't be true about nani's wages ffs :eek:

Meh, it could be down to the complication with the third party, a way of giving them more value without them having to pay it to the third party.

Could be down to the manager, who didn't give him the contract.

Could be inaccurate reporting, the talk before yesterday was Sporting would pay a part of his wages but not all.

We just don't know tbh nor will we ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Brylcream isn't cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

I think we need Moyes back because most of ye fans are just full of excuses and pessimists and he would be a perfect match.

We are getting top 3 guaranteed lads, Swansea were just good at passing yo. The rest of the premiership can't pass so what are ye all worrying about. We are going to get minimum 19 from next 21 points and probably 21 so don't be badmouthing now and praising in 7 games time please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am pretty sure Sporting said the loan was at no cost to them

Nani played a low number of games the last two seasons. Out of a possible 109 games he only started 24 and came on as a sub in 10. A starting percentage in the low 20s is pretty disappointing. He desperately needs to play regular football.

So even when he was at the club they didn't the value for his wages. May as well use the opportunity to get him games, get a player in who will play regularly, make Nani either attractive to buyers or useful next season.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....

Attached image highlights some big changes in the squad over the last couple of seasons and how many players could be deemed as not contributing enough by not being picked, injured etc (details from stretfordend.co.uk).

Also shows the imbalance in the Squad, why Van Gaal wants a winger, concerned about the number of 10s.

I can see Hernandez moving on with the low number of starts, possibly makes sense to give those games to Wilson.

Sure does highlight the loss of Evra and Vidic. Evans needs to step up as the oldest defender and Jones, considering how much he has actually played the last couple of seasons needs a big season also.

EDIT: I should mention thats not every player, Lingard, Wilson and James for example are not in this years list, not sure what the role they will have will actually be, excludes the Fabios, Zahas etc who rarely featured.

DM-ICE wrote: »

Sure does highlight the loss of Evra and Vidic. Evans needs to step up as the oldest defender and Jones, considering how much he has actually played the last couple of seasons needs a big season also.

Exactly agree here. Hopefully this turns out as a season where a few new leaders are born in the team.

Badly need some of the more experienced players, who have won premierships to step up and accept they have to be the ones new players will look to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

dougee19 wrote: »
    We are getting top 3 guaranteed lads, Swansea were just good at passing yo. The rest of the premiership can't pass so what are ye all worrying about. We are going to get minimum 19 from next 21 points and probably 21 so don't be badmouthing now and praising in 7 games time please

No.

Interesting list in the Indo...United's worst ever signings:

Nani
    Liam Miller
    Anderson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Marouane Fellaini
    Massimo Taibi
    Bebe
    William Prunier
    Pat McGibbon
    Laurent Blanc
    Jordi Cruyff
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    Ralph Milne
    Kleberson
    David Bellion
    Diego Forlan
    Dong Fangzhuo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Meh, it could be down to the complication with the third party, a way of giving them more value without them having to pay it to the third party.

Could be down to the manager, who didn't give him the contract.

Could be inaccurate reporting, the talk before yesterday was Sporting would pay a part of his wages but not all.

We just don't know tbh nor will we ever.

Not much guesswork involved. Sporting said Nani was free in their statement.

See here

Translation:
    Under the terms and for the purposes of compliance with the obligation of information from the provisions of Article 248, No. 1 al. a) of the Securities Code Securities, A SPORTING CLUB DE PORTUGAL, SOCCER, SAD reports have reached an agreement with Manchester United Football Club Limited for the acquisition outright of sports rights and 100% of the rights economic player Marcos Rojo, the total value € 20,000,000.00 (twenty million euros), payable in three installments: € 10,000,000.00 paid immediate and two installments of € 5,000,000.00 each, paid on December 1 2014 and July 1, 2015.

Value above and in accordance with the contracted shall be paid to Spartak Moscow € 4,000,000.00, in proportion to the amounts received by SPORTING SAD Manchester United.

Please note that the agreement also provides for the right of the Sporting SAD receive 20% of the gain a player for the future transfer amount more than € 23,000,000.00.

Simultaneously the SPORTING SAD reached agreement with Manchester United for the temporary transfer, free of charge, for SPORTING SAD Nani athlete until the end of season 2014 / 2015.

Regarding DOYEN SPORTS INVESTMENTS LIMITED, and consequently the resolution for cause the contract with this entity to contribution to the economic rights of the player, the SPORTING SAD reports that refund immediately, Doyen to the amount invested by this entity, in legal terms.

With this operation, the Board of Directors of Sporting SAD communicates you want to affect, to define in legal terms, EUR 9 million to construction of the Pavilion of Sporting Clube de Portugal, continuing the Mission Pavilion in operation until it raised the value of one million euros.

The bidding round for the construction of the Pavilion is in phase conclusion was found that providing the necessary authorizations their arrival in competent authorities, particularly in CML, with the shortest possible to the start of construction of the new pavilion Sporting is one reality as soon as possible.

Lisbon, August 19, 2014

The Board of Directors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nani
    Liam Miller
    Anderson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Marouane Fellaini
    Massimo Taibi
    Bebe
    William Prunier
    Pat McGibbon
    Laurent Blanc
    Jordi Cruyff
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    Ralph Milne
    Kleberson
    David Bellion
    Diego Forlan
    Dong Fangzhuo

I've always thought Forlan wasn't a flop. He certainly didn't live up to expectations but he doesn't belong on a list with Liam Miller and Bebe. Once Forlan got past the 20 odd games he didn't score in he was actually pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Is the injury to fellani, finally going to push us to sign the cm we have needed for the last ten years!

Nani
    Liam Miller
    Anderson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Marouane Fellaini
    Massimo Taibi
    Bebe
    William Prunier
    Pat McGibbon
    Laurent Blanc
    Jordi Cruyff
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    Ralph Milne
    Kleberson
    David Bellion
    Diego Forlan
    Dong Fangzhuo

Bit ridiculous of them naming out players who's careers aren't yet over with the club. Surely they should wait until a players spell is finished at a club before making a decision on it.

Then again it's only a space filler of an article so I probably shouldn't read too much into it! Only opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Nani
    Liam Miller
    Anderson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Marouane Fellaini
    Massimo Taibi
    Bebe
    William Prunier
    Pat McGibbon
    Laurent Blanc
    Jordi Cruyff
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    Ralph Milne
    Kleberson
    David Bellion
    Diego Forlan
    Dong Fangzhuo

Don't agree with all that list, Nani & Forlan had some great contributions.

My top 3 would be:
    1- Prunier
    2- Bebe
    3- Taibi

Is the injury to fellani, finally going to push us to sign the cm we have needed for the last ten years!

Or it stops us from loaning out Nick Powell who steps into the centre and becomes an instant hit, and has 10-15 good seasons with us.........

...hey a boy can dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How can Nani the club player of the year in a title winning season be included on that list.

Also Fellaini he has not even had a chance at the club.

Whoever wrote that list hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Nani
    Liam Miller
    Anderson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Juan Sebastian Veron
    Marouane Fellaini
    Massimo Taibi
    Bebe
    William Prunier
    Pat McGibbon
    Laurent Blanc
    Jordi Cruyff
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    Ralph Milne
    Kleberson
    David Bellion
    Diego Forlan
    Dong Fangzhuo

Didn't Blanc do decently enough while he was with us. In fairness to hm he was 34/5 when he signed. Veron used to play well in CL games when we used a different system to the 4-4-2 in the league. He always looked lost with the PL going on at 100 mph all around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Would put Mark Bosnich or Roy Carroll there rather than Nani, Nani has had some good times he just needs a chance to get back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Or it stops us from loaning out Nick Powell who steps into the centre and becomes an instant hit, and has 10-15 good seasons with us.........

...hey a boy can dream!

That Powell one baffles me. Clearly he is rubbish if he can't get a game ahead of the likes of Cleverley according to three different managers. But then, if he's a poor player why was he bought? :confused:

It's baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Karel Poborsky didnt exactly light up the PL when he signed either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How can Nani the club player of the year in a title winning season be included on that list.

Its a teeny tiny list considering the length of time of covers. They had to include some suspect ones to fill it out.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Bit ridiculous of them naming out players who's careers aren't yet over with the club. Surely they should wait until a players spell is finished at a club before making a decision on it.

Then again it's probably only a space filler of an article so I probably shouldn't read too much into it! Only opinions.

Harsh on Forlan alright.

On balance, Taibi would be my shout. Back in '99, £4.5m was a lot for a goalkeeper. The guy played four games...four games! "The Blind Venetian" was an appropriate nickname...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Nuts102 wrote: »

A lot of United fans I know criticise Nani but when questioned further on it they can't give a valid reason for it. Maybe it's because some people saw him as the successor to Ronaldo and he couldn't reach that level.

On his day, he's a devastating, if very unlikeable, player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement