Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Lads, as disgruntled as some of you are regarding the lack of signings, moaning on an internet forum won't even remotely solve it, so what's the point?

Cause it's good to talk. :pac:

What's the point of discussing anything beyond your control in life then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I have a feeling the club are working on getting a CM in. Otherwise they simply would have brought in Blind by now.

I also get the feeling it's a name that we haven't been openly linked with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads, as disgruntled as some of you are regarding the lack of signings, moaning on an internet forum won't even remotely solve it, so what's the point?

Because those who think everything is rosy must be made to see how wrong they are.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm all for discussing the club, but running around in circles saying "It's a disgrace Joe" "We haven't signed players Joe" "Eamon Dunpohy reckons Rojo is ****e, Joe" will get us nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

KH25 wrote: »
    Van Gaal must be aware of the situation. He just has to be. If he is then I would expect him to be pushing for signings. Assuming that's the case, why haven't the signings been made?

Our transfer policy has become a joke. Fabregas last year summed it up for me. At the time he didn't want to leave and Barca didn't want to sell. So instead of making them an offer to turn their heads we tried to low ball them for the entire saga. Then deadline day comes and we have nothing to show for it leading to Fellaini being bought for more than he was available.

This apparent haggling and trying to get cheap deals on big players is going to cost the club more money in the long run. Moreover we will be stuck with a bunch of overpaid mediocre players that were bought in panic.

Yeah, that's it for me. Agree with Scholes on the whole, but disagree with him on the going out and making five major signings ****e, that is where United struggle, and have always struggled, Fabregas was the exception though, the player was available and we dicked about all Summer with seemingly no alternative plan, then panic in January and spend £37m on Mata, when if we'd offered the same for Fabregas we almost certainly would have got him and it would have made a huge difference to our season. Rather than Fellaini who brought us backwards. The problem as I see it is two fold, if we want a marquee signing, then treat it as such, and throw the appropriate money at it, but also have a plan B & C if it doesn't come off. We are heading for a second summer in a row where it appears the club have done very little to strengthen the squad, it's all fair enough saying we are Manchester United, we are the biggest club in the world, but the crap that's going on doesn't show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I'm all for discussing the club, but running around in circles saying "It's a disgrace Joe" "We haven't signed players Joe" "Eamon Dunpohy reckons Rojo is ****e, Joe" will get us nowhere.

no discussion here will get us anywhere.

the lack of transfers is the most concerning issue with the club for a lot of supporters at this time. hence the discussion.

it's possible to argue that this situation could lead to us struggling to make the top 4 and thus escalating the club's fall from grace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

What kind of discussion here would get you somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The biggest difference between this and last summer is LVG.

I trust him to get us back into the champs league, at least. His ego is so big that if some tight arsed transfer policy at the club is what prevents him signing the players he feels we need to get back into the top tier, then he will at some point make it public - especially if we are languishing outside the top 4.

I honestly can't see LVG not signing a decent midfielder now considering how weak we are in midfield along with the injury situation. The man has over 2 decades of success behind him as a manager at the top level of football. If we do not get another decent midfielder in then it will not be because LVG didn't request someone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

GdS think Benatia has rejected contract extension.
    Omid Zamani @Juventus__fan
    Today's #gds: #Benatia rejected contract extension, Roma directors will meet with #VanGaal & #Wenger in coming hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Love the idea of Giggs walking around wondering if we should buy Fabregas or Kroos!

"Well, we already have Cleverley and I'm not sure Cesc is really a United type of player, maybe we'll just leave it for now, yeah, lets do that".

By all accounts in the last two years we could have arranged deals for Strootman, Thiago, Fabregas and Kroos. Not pie-in-the-sky stuff either, they were deals that could have happened had Moyes for example not vetoed the Strootman one. Imagine having just any two of them at the club right now, the situation would be totally transformed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I will judge our Transfer activity at exactly 11pm on Monday September 1.

To me its the Media trying to Turn our fans against our club we support for the benefit of a made up story taking other clubs and players out of context.

I trust our club to do the right thing

You are all mentioning players who we should sign for the sole reason that the Media have " Linked" them to the club because " Sources " said so.

Van Gaal is building a new team to fit our new style of play

You dont need to buy Gucci and Ralf Lauren from Brown Thomas when exactly what you need can be picked up going to the Ilac Center.

All the players mentioned for hugh money will be later sold at a loss

If that what we all want? To buy players for 50,60 million and in 3 or 4 years sold for 10, 15 million.

We need to rebuild the team with excellent players who fit exactly what VG is planning for us and if that means finding up and coming talent, so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    Cause it's good to talk. :pac:

What's the point of discussing anything beyond your control in life then?

The point of discussion of events outside of your control is usually that it's enjoyable. Is anyone actually enjoying the constant cycle of a crying and moaning, day in, day out?

Most of the talk seems to be on the interview that was released last night that Scholes gave, so very current and relevant.

It's kind of ironic that you are repeatedly posting the above style comment too don't ya think?

Most of the talk seems to be on the interview that was released last night that Scholes gave, so very current and relevant.

It's kind of ironic that you are repeatedly posting the above style comment too don't ya think?

I don't think you understand irony.

Debate is fun and enjoyable, but not when it's 30 pages of cricles, ya know?

The Scholes interview, now that is worth discussing, as is the point of Scholes v Giggs as AM. Simply posting that it's a disgrace because X and Y haven't been signed is a complete waste of internet space! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

The point of discussion of events outside of your control is usually that it's enjoyable. Is anyone actually enjoying the constant cycle of a crying and moaning, day in, day out?

I'm enjoying it more than "My checklist is...".

Well no, the point of discussion is to discuss things, be it good or bad.

This isn't Disney World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its refreshing to read a footballer of Paul Scholes class and association to United come out with what he did instead of us eejits repeating it on boards.ie!

I don't the Khedira love though, he's not in the same class bracket as the other four he mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nothing will be solved by what happens on here, you are correct.but we are discussing the scholes thing, maybe Scholes has been listening to us fans "moaning" ,Neville will be opening his twitter every morning with 1000's of people saying what scholes has said, maybe that will work its way up the food chain from both of them to the top - unlikely but woodward is surely aware of the dire need and will be aware of scholes piece this morning.

Nicky Butt was sat near us on Saturday and he looked depressed, he would have seen and heard the same disgruntled fans that i did. He too will surely be in Giggs ear, Woodwards ear.

What is growing though is match going fans are being asked to protest and boycott our next home game. It started on twitter, its making it way now to various papers and forums and with what scholes has said, thats going to escalate now.if there are no big signings, our next home game is going to be even more depressing than swansea.

You and others keep having a go at others for saying the same thing, however if the club sorted things out, it would end. If people stopped posting "i am happy/almost happy" then it wouldnt be as much a problem.if people stopped defending woodward, the "moaners" would lessen.

Its a bloody mess. And if people are sick of listening to me or anybody else, maybe listen to one of our greatest players ever and what he has said. We all cant be wrong.

Thats a lovely post Homer. Love the characters. Well written.

None of them are on boards.ie, however.

• Advertisement

twam2008 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it more than "My checklist is...".
    Well no, the point of discussion is to discuss things, be it good or bad.

This isn't Disney World.

The point of [thing] is [same thing] is a nonsense statement. But whatever, I'll leave ye to your pity party.

TheTownie wrote: »
    GdS think Benatia has rejected contract extension.

Sorry who are gds?(I honestly have no idea who they are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Gazetta Italy paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gazette dello sport, or however it is actually supposed to be written.

La Gazzeta dello Sport me thinks.

Gazzetta dello Sport. Easier to type GdS.

• Advertisement

Is this the same Gazzeta that said we signed Vidal to a 5 yr contract? Lads...

The point of [thing] is [same thing] is a nonsense statement. But whatever, I'll leave ye to your pity party.

You left out the last part of my sentence in your post, which was kind of my point. You only want to discuss things that you find enjoyable. I don't agree, which was the point I was making.

Pity party is a cheap shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If we sign Dimaria do any of you see him as a cm?? When I think of Dimaria I think wing or cam

You left out the last part of my sentence in your post, which was kind of my point. You only want to discuss things that you find enjoyable. I don't agree, which was the point I was making.

I think the problem you're having is moaning != discussion.

Don't think its been posted. LVG quote on Rojo:
    "He has ability, physical strength and a willingness to learn that means he has a very bright future ahead of him," the United manager said. "He had a very strong World Cup and has been playing in Europe for a couple of years now. He is a very good addition to the team."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we sign Dimaria do any of you see him as a cm?? When I think of Dimaria I think wing or cam

he did kinda play CM for Madrid last season a bit, in a midfield 3 - but UNited don't scare or dominate teams like Madrid do so i don't think it would work here. We don't have a defensive minded CM player capable of making it work, imo.

and there was i think that said cheap shots would stop after the mod warning yesterday.

The Glazers make me sick to the core. Just a mere glance at their rat faces and their dead eyes makes me want to punch the screen. Would love to see them chased out of our club.

Edit: and some people constantly give out about Fellaini, while that shower who have pillaged the club for years are sitting up in the stands grinning at how they pulled off the robbery of funds that were earned from fans and hard working staff.

But they are considerably richer than yows!

I think the problem you're having is moaning != discussion.

You and Maximus seem to be the ones having the problem.

You and Maximus seem to be the ones having the problem.

We'll leave it there so!

he did kinda play CM for Madrid last season a bit, in a midfield 3 - but UNited don't scare or dominate teams like Madrid do so i don't think it would work here. We don't have a defensive minded CM player capable of making it work, imo.

This, in a particular system and especially as part of a team whereby there are others for the opposition to be thinking about he can work. In our midfield though we'd continue to be run over.

It was an escape clause. I'm trying to abort this discussion because I'm not enjoying it.
    Let's not fight. x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hard to argue with the idea of writing a big cheque for a couple of Madrid players. Any two of the four mentioned by Scholes would be brilliant for United and the injection of quality needed for today.

Khedira and Di Maria as unrealistic as it is would be everything the side needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Rojo profile added to the club website and he is no 5 !

Now to fill 7 and 9 !!!

Thats a lovely post Homer. Love the characters. Well written.

None of them are on boards.ie, however.

jaysus and to think i get accused of being condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Nicky Butt was sat near us on Saturday and he looked depressed, he would have seen and heard the same disgruntled fans that i did. He too will surely be in Giggs ear, Woodwards ear.

Surely you've left out the most important ear of the lot...LVG?? Are the disgruntled fans you speak of bypassing him in their quest to be heard?

*****I believe we need a couple of players too*****

Before I get accused of being 'happy' with the status quo....

Rojo profile added to the club website and he is no 5 !

Now to fill 7 and 9 !!!

Nah we definitely don't need a number 9....after all it's the cool thing these days to talk about players positions in terms of their shirt numbers....there was a lad the other week talking about the differences between a number 6 and a number 8, fascinating stuff.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Surely you've left out the most important ear of the lot...LVG?? Are the disgruntled fans you speak of bypassing him in their quest to be heard?

would you cross LVG? i certainly wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

You and others keep having a go at others for saying the same thing, however if the club sorted things out, it would end. If people stopped posting "i am happy/almost happy" then it wouldnt be as much a problem.if people stopped defending woodward, the "moaners" would lessen.

So people should stop saying what they actually believe because you disagree with it?

As our new glorious leader why don't you just come up with a list of things we can and can't say or believe. So we don't upset you by, you know, having a different opinion.

Jesus wept.

RVP is our #9, just in a different shirt because of Berbasex. I imagine someone like Wilson or Keane will eventually take the shirt, probably Wilson.

#7 is up for grabs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Can we stop using Jesus wept, it's annoying.

Kind Regards,
    Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nah we definitely don't need a number 9....after all it's the cool thing these days to talk about players positions in terms of their shirt numbers....there was a lad the other week talking about the differences between a number 6 and a number 8, fascinating stuff.

Show him a picture of William Gallas in his number 10 shirt and Abou Diaby with number 2. His head will explode.

RVP is our #9, just in a different shirt because of Berbasex. I imagine someone like Wilson or Keane will eventually take the shirt, probably Wilson.

#7 is up for grabs though.

7 is for CR7 when he comes home, silly!!

7 is for CR7 when he comes home, silly!!

What ever happened to that fella, I think it was during the 12/13 season, who wanted to fundraise to bring CR7 back to Old Trafford, so he set up this website and there was a really cringe video to go with it about his son never getting to see the greatest player in the world or some ****.

• Advertisement

Can we stop using Jesus wept, it's annoying.

Kind Regards,
    Me

I nominate "Jeez louise" as its replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement