Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Coat22 wrote: »
    the decision on Ferdinand must have been taken around the same time

Interesting to hear on "Goals on Sunday" that Rio was one of QPR's best players at the weekend, and more specifically that he excelled playing as the sweeper in a back three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Kid probably got that line from a gimp of an aul lad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Interesting to hear on "Goals on Sunday" that Rio was one of QPR's best players at the weekend, and more specifically that he excelled playing as the sweeper in a back three.

Really? The report I read said he had a nightmare and was directly responsible for the goal that caused them to lose the match :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Liverpool are an irrelevance in that context. I'd genuinely rather watch United win a nothing game than have Liverpool not win the league. United comes first, Liverpool's failures are just a bonus. Kinda like the crushed hazelnuts on top of your Ben & Jerry's when you go to the cinema.

What cinema? I've never had these and they sound amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really? The report I read said he had a nightmare and was directly responsible for the goal that caused them to lose the match :confused:

Apparently, he had a very good game but completely lost Chester for the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Haha that's gas the little lad is better then most football journalists anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

FutureGuy wrote: »
    He had a very good game but completely lost Chester for the goal.

We'll see how good he performs when up against a good side who will really put QPR's defence to the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rio is a good defender. He is not league winning defender. Not anymore. He is the sole reason for the goal conceded yesterday. In saying that, it would be handy having someone with his experience still around the younger defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They did say that he lost Chester for the goal, but that apart from that he was one of their best players throughout the game. It was both Barton and the host saying the same thing so I found it believable.

• Advertisement

Few tweets going around that Napoli have agreed the loan deal for Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He was directly at fault for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Dont even bother Rio,Vida and Evra are "washed up" & "useless" and will prove to be for their new clubs, they definitely could not have contributed for United this season. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rumours that City are looking to offload a few players, including Micah Richards.

Wouldn't mind putting a cheeky bid in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rumours that City are looking to offload a few players, including Micah Richards.

If we're starting a rugby league team then absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

before they got the money he was a beast and there was rumours we were going for him when they almost got relegated (shame they didnt maybe they wouldnt have been bought then) but think he has spent too long on the bench and in the reserves and even still doubt they would sell to us

• Advertisement

Yeah, Anderson and Rafeal need some new friends in the treatment room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Oliver Key (times) has the following for us -

rojo deal is completed, with nani going out.
    2 center backs to come in (though i am not sure if this includes Rojo or not).
    1 CM to come in.

or thats the intention anyway he says, though nothing there apart from what every clued in fan has been saying for 6 months, but it seems the club is only finally starting to act on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Was Woodward at the game on Saturday? Is he still on hols (unbelievable as that is)?

Would love to be a fly on the wall in OT this morning – picturing the scene from Jerry Maguire and Woodie on the blower flying through his filo fax trying to find available players.

“Hello is that Mr. Roy Keane? My name is Ed and I need to sign a defensive midfielder. I put the required attributes into Linkedin and your name came up. Sorry how old did you say you were? Oh….”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

1 CM to come in.

or thats the intention anyway he says, though nothing there apart from what every clued in fan has been saying for 6 months, but it seems the club is only finally starting to act on it now.

Kay said Rojo is one of the centre halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Not for me but would take Nastasic all day long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

1 CM to come in.

Lets just hope they're quality, because if we replaced Fletcher with someone of similiar ability and likewise Smalling/Blackett, Saturday would still probably have turned out the same - and of course I'm not discounting the role the wingbacks/fullbacks played in Saturday's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Few tweets going around that Napoli have agreed the loan deal for Fellaini.

We should see if we could get Inler off them. He's old enough now but still very good, and would be a nice midfield stopgap

just on Mata. what do the people who are defending him think of the theory that "mata is not a Man United player and just is not suited to the club". i mean, look at him - top class player, playing a shadow of himself. same has happened to kagawa (albeit much bigger drop in performance), German footballer of the year to a sub at United.

i absolutely love the guy, you just cant hate him and he is a serious footballer BUT Gary Neville made the point aslo the week that we were signing him (i disagreed with him at the time too) that he wasnt a United player and i think its got alot of merit.

of course, that probably says more about the club than him to be honest and its perhaps why we have been in dire straights for the last 12 months and playing s*it football for the last 5 years.

at United you need to be a hard worker, have speed and put a shift in (unless you are a top class finisher like RVP, RVN for example). Mata doesnt really have either of those 3 traits and hence its why i think its not working for him right now.

titan18 wrote: »
    We should see if we could get Inler off them. He's old enough now but still very good, and would be a nice midfield stopgap

I'm actually encouraged by this news. If they're letting him leave, it surely means there's a proper central midfielder coming in.

If not, then it's yet another baffling decision.

Was Woodward at the game on Saturday? Is he still on hols (unbelievable as that is)?

Would love to be a fly on the wall in OT this morning – picturing the scene from Jerry Maguire and Woodie on the blower flying through his filo fax trying to find available players.

“Hello is that Mr. Roy Keane? My name is Ed and I need to sign a defensive midfielder. I put the required attributes into Linkedin and your name came up. Sorry how old did you say you were? Oh….”

yes he was. i could see him from where i was sitting, but nowhere near close enough to throw something at him :p

Gill, Charlton, Fergie and i think 1 or 2 of the Glazers were there also, but i cannot confirm if it was them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Utd will be fine this season.

I think after the Moyes campaign, people thought that LVG would come in and swiftly return things to the Fergie standard of beating the bottom 15 teams without too much of a problem.

This is where all the 'top at the end of oct' expectations came in.

LVG needs time to do his thing. The players need to adjust to him, he needs to adjust to a new league.

But it has to be BUILT. Utd have adressed a couple of key areas in terms if transfers and they might address one more with a CB but fans have to be realistic. Signing three more players is not the answer. Getting a midfield three of Herrera, Fell/Fletch/Carrick, Mata to function to their optimal level will be fine for the moment.

Patience above all is key. What you need from LVG, what you never got from Moyes, is HOW he reacts to this match, and what he gets from the players as a result. That's what makes him the right man for the job - not the expectation that he'll win the first ten games of the premiership.

just on Mata. what do the people who are defending him think of the theory that "mata is not a Man United player and just is not suited to the club". i mean, look at him - top class player, playing a shadow of himself. same has happened to kagawa (albeit much bigger drop in performance), German footballer of the year to a sub at United.

i absolutely love the guy, you just cant hate him and he is a serious footballer BUT Gary Neville made the point aslo the week that we were signing him (i disagreed with him at the time too) that he wasnt a United player and i think its got alot of merit.

of course, that probably says more about the club than him to be honest and its perhaps why we have been in dire straights for the last 12 months and playing s*it football for the last 5 years.

at United you need to be a hard worker, have speed and put a shift in (unless you are a top class finisher like RVP, RVN for example). Mata doesnt really have either of those 3 traits and hence its why i think its not working for him right now.

Is Gary Johnny Giles in disguise? Maybe we should try get Stephen Hunt in.

yes he was. i could see him from where i was sitting, but nowhere near close enough to throw something at him :p

Gill, Charlton, Fergie and i think 1 or 2 of the Glazers were there also, but i cannot confirm if it was them..

One of the Glazers was there (not sure which one - they all look the same to me)

I'd love to get Gill's take on the whole thing - he isn't blameless either in allowing us to get to this position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What cinema? I've never had these and they sound amazing.

I get them in Movies @ Dundrum or the Cineworld in Parnell Street, but anywhere that has a Ben & Jerry's counter should have them. Just ask.

They'll usually offer them with a Core Sundae.

I don't get this "Mata has been poor" argument at all, since it seems to be on the back of one poor result, and one where the entire team looked poor.

Mata joined in January.
    He was our player of the month in February and April, and was runner up in May.
    He scored 6 goals from 15 appearances in the league (More than our entire midfield combined over a time period twice the size), as well as 6 assists.

I get the point he might not have been what we needed, but it surprises me to hear people taking shots at his performances when, in the 4 months he played for us last season, he was one of our best performers at a time when no one was preforming at all. I'd be 100% confident that come the end of the season (and not the end of a single 90 minute performance), he'll be one of the best preforming players we've had...

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    . Hernandez was terrible on saturday

Fletcher was awful, as to how he played 90 minutes ill never know. taking off Herrera (even though i thought he wasnt great) was strange.

what was also strange was the defensive set up in the second half in the 4-4-2. Jones playing out of position (he is horrible at RB), Young playing out of position at left back and both were horribly exposed then for the goal. surely it would have made more sense and better balance to go with.

Young
    Jones
    Smalling
    Blackett

starting Lingard was a poor one also - fair enough we have injuries but i dont know what he saw of him that made him come to the decision that he deserved to start. it was a sub wasted as such and we had no more left to offer in the last 15 minutes then.

unless RVP is injured, surely it made sense to have him on the bench as an option for 10-15 minutes if needed? he is unfit we hear, but surely theres a few minutes in him.

if Moyes had done what LVG did on saturday, he'd have been crucified.

and before people jump on me saying "its only first game" and "lVG knows best" and" your talking nonsense, what the f*ck do you know" these are very simple, straightforward aspects of the game that were blatantly obvious during the game - even one of those things done differently could have changed the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

One of the Glazers was there (not sure which one - they all look the same to me)

Glazist!!!

1 CM to come in.

So long as they are acting on that, then it's fine.

I don't get this "Mata has been poor" argument at all, since it seems to be on the back of one poor result, and one where the entire team looked poor.

this debate was come up several times and was discussed last week. it has nothing to do with Saturday, so stop trying to deflect attention on to that.

but it surprises me to hear people taking shots at his performances when, in the 4 months he played for us last season, he was one of our best performers at a time when no one was preforming at all. I'd be 100% confident that come the end of the season (and not the end of a single 90 minute performance), he'll be one of the best preforming players we've had...

considering how s*it we have been for 12 months, thats not saying much. Mata has been ok, a 6 out of 10 so far in his United career - some good games, very many average games and some poor games. for £37.4m however, he has been playing well below levels expected for that price range.

you can argue that he is doing OK in a s*it team of course. would we have finished any lower last season had we not signed him? i dont think so.

had we signed a top class CM that we actually needed instead, would we have finished a place or two higher? perhaps yes, though we dont know for sure.

had we signed a top class CM that we actually needed instead, would we have finished a place or two higher? perhaps yes, though we dont know for sure.

Yeah but this goes back to that, frankly odd, line of thinking that the club went out and splurged on Mata and then went "Oh crap, we were meant to sign a midfielder but now we can't afford it!" Which obviously didn't happen.

this debate was come up several times and was discussed last week. it has nothing to do with Saturday, so stop trying to deflect attention on to that.

Honestly, it's the first time I've seen a proper negative discussion on his performance and ability.

As I said, I can accept why people would argue he wasn't what was needed and have seen that discussion plenty. But trying to criticize his performances is what I don't get. Yeah, he might have been a 6/10, but at a time where everyone else was a 4/10. HIs preformances were still better than the ones most other players were putting in. For a "Not a United player", he played more like one in the 4 months last season than all the other "United players".

If we can get the entire team preforming above the level Moyes did last year, Mata's will rise too. But I think you could have dropped a top level CM into the team last season (especially at the tail end) and even they would have struggled under what was happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Sporting president saying rojo's release clause must be met which is near £30 million, that would be a ridiculous fee.

Honestly, it's the first time I've seen a proper negative discussion on his performance and ability.

As I said, I can accept why people would argue he wasn't what was needed and have seen that discussion plenty. But trying to criticize his performances is what I don't get. Yeah, he might have been a 6/10, but at a time where everyone else was a 4/10. HIs preformances were still better than the ones most other players were putting in. For a "Not a United player", he played more like one in the 4 months last season than all the other "United players".

If we can get the entire team preforming above the level Moyes did last year, Mata's will rise too. But I think you could have dropped a top level CM into the team last season (especially at the tail end) and even they would have struggled under what was happening....

Totally agree. Think Mata would have been a wasted signing if Moyes had stayed on but under a coach like VG who likes to attack I think he’ll be game changer.

Like Rooney, he’s getting caught up at the moment with the lack of a midfield behind him meaning he’s often not in the positions he needs to be but I think with (hopefully) Januzaj getting more game time and the signing of a new CM allowing him to get into the box more we’re going to see a 10-15 goal season from the guy.

Back to Januzaj – with all the panic and doom after Saturdays game it seems to have gone unnoticed just how good this lad was. Really excited about him. Giggs in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

case885 wrote: »
    Sporting president saying rojo's release clause must be met which is near £30 million, that would be a ridiculous fee.

Totally agree.

SSN running story of 100M offer for Di Maria. That would just be buying someone who is world class who is available rather than what we need...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

case885 wrote: »

move on so. not worth that kinda money.

purely on a discussion bases as i doubt it would happen what would peoples views be if we brought back Ryan Shawcros? (along with signing an experienced cb if we are gonna go with the 3 at the back) say he would at most cost 10-15

also if a cash plus chico deal was struck with juve what would peoples view be on remy as a backup striker since he seems to be available for 12-15m going by pools deal that collapsed?

neither are world class but would make the squad stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

If we had more players of Mata's quality I think we'd have no problem finishing in the top 4. I'd like to see a Gundogan, Reus, Carvalho like signed. Would be absolutely bat sh*t crazy to pay over £18m for Rojo.

Back to Januzaj – with all the panic and doom after Saturdays game it seems to have gone unnoticed just how good this lad was. Really excited about him. Giggs in his prime.

Adnan was ok...flashed of brilliance, but no end product (i think he wont the corner for the goal, i could be wrong) but he then gave away the ball for the winning goal.

he got a serious ear full off Rooney several times, but ignored it. he is very raw and did some great things, but he was nothing special to be honest and he was frustrating at times.

Totally agree.

SSN running story of 100M offer for Di Maria. That would just be buying someone who is world class who is available rather than what we need...

:eek:

Has to be bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

magnumbud wrote: »
    move on so. not worth that kinda money.

purely on a discussion bases as i doubt it would happen what would peoples views be if we brought back Ryan Shawcros? (along with signing an experienced cb if we are gonna go with the 3 at the back)

also if a cash plus chico deal was struck with juve what would peoples view be on remy as a backup striker since he seems to be available for 12-15m?

neither are world class but would make the squad stronger.

I wondered about that whole Remy situation, would be a great player to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Has to be bull.

100m is misleading, its the fee and the cost of his wages for 5 years

• Advertisement

My hope for the next 12 months is to get fourth and to bring in the calibre of player we need. I'm not pushed about who we bring in today, tomorrow, in 6 weeks or on 6 months. I'm not pushed if we lose our next 3.

So long as we get fourth, have a superb squad for next year and have the team fully attuned to LVG's style. That's what matters, not what happens on a day to day basis.

You'd drive yourself mad if you were waiting for news every day.

100m is misleading, its the fee and the cost of his wages for 5 years

Still sounds like an awful lot, surely he'd be the club record signing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Has to be bull.

Apparently it's a £50m transfer plus wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

This was a few days ago but its funny how different players suit different clubs:

Roberto Martinez on Gibson:
    http://www.squawka.com/news/roberto-martinez-darron-gibsons-return-will-be-a-massive-boost-for-everton/158341
    “Darron is quite a different midfielder, he’s that sort of playmaker and for me he is one of the best passers in the league.”

I think we absolutely do need DiMaria. A top level winger who can play in midfield too would actually really help us. Not, mind, that he should be the number 1 priority, but he fixes a problem we are going to face sooner rather than later.

I've read he can be deployed in CM, but has anyone seen him play there?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement