Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Have no faith in Utd getting one nevermind both, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we get both players I will change my username to I love Ed Woodward..

Let me spend a fiver god dam it Ed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You're only selecting him as a forward. If we were to buy him it would wide midfield.

Herrera--carrick--Di Maria
    wide midfield... in a midfield 3? how open do you want the central midfield to be? You want Roy Keane at his best instead of Carrick to stand a chance.

It also ignores the fact LVG likes his 433 set up the way I have written it (offensive or defensive depending on game). 2 CMs with either a deep player behind or attacking player infront) - not a flat 3.

Or at least that is my understanding of it, based on reading an indepth tactical interview with him from a while back, in which he discusses his 433 formation vs other formations, and why he sets it up as he does (as well as the role of each player in the formation).

Maybe he would try an entirely new formation - but when he spoke about Di Maria he said United didn't have the wingers of Di Maria or Ronaldos quality to play 433 - so if he was being signed surely it would be as the winger LVG name droped him as. Unless you feel he ment wide (central) midfield and he see Ronaldo as being capable there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Madrid owe us nothing. You'll find the the players we sold them wanted to go and they aoid us for them.

When it came to doing business, we made little fuss, things moved nicely, and we didn't act the bollox.

Most clubs regard United as an excellent club to do business with when it comes to us selling players, as we've a history of no frills.

Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Ronaldo and Heinze all went with minimal to no messing. Regardless if we wanted to offload or not, we made life very easy where other clubs would hang on for increased fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

F8ck it, I'm in. Do it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

It makes so much sense to go for both of them.

Now watch Di Maria go to PSG and Khedira go to Bayern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This news (and I know it's just two players confirmed as wanting to move, nothing really to do with us) comes JUST as I am packing up for my half day.

MINUTES after the girlfriend tells me that I will be having a little night to myself as she is going over to her mothers for the night with our newborn.

THE SIGNS LADS, THE ****ING SIGNS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

60m double deal, first option on Januzaj future sale to Real......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Refuse to get excited.

PSG will get DiMaria.mArsenal will take Khedira. It's not happening for us....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Headshot wrote: »
    So anyone going to do a formation that will include Di Maria. Im curious

I suppose if we go back to 4-4-2:

De Gea

Rafael
    Jones
    Evans----Rojo
    Di Maria--Herrera--Fletcher--*Shaw

RVP
    Rooney

Or 4-2-3-1:

De Gea

-Rafael----Jones
    Evans
    Shaw

Herrera----Fletcher

--Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney---

RVP

Or 4-2-2-2:

De Gea

-Rafael----Jones
    Evans
    Shaw

Herrera----Fletcher

Di Maria
    Mata

RVP
    Rooney

* There has been talk of Shaw trying out at LM, also wouldn't be surprised if Rojo was tested there after VG comments on him.

These are just personal opinions based on "what ifs" but saying that I would find it hard to see Di Maria slot into the formation VG has been trying out so I would imagine he would look at changing it if he was brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fcuk it, slap £65m cash on the table for the two lads. What's the worst that can happen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Madrid owe us nothing. You'll find the the players we sold them wanted to go and they paid us for them.

+1
    Madrid will sell them to us if we put the best offer on the table, and the players agree terms (and I still think Di Maria would prefer PSG, and they will find a way around FFP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

TheDoc wrote: »
    When it came to doing business, we made little fuss, things moved nicely, and we didn't act the bollox.

Most clubs regard United as an excellent club to do business with when it comes to us selling players, as we've a history of no frills.

Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Ronaldo and Heinze all went with minimal to no messing. Regardless if we wanted to offload or not, we made life very easy where other clubs would hang on for increased fees etc.

Heinze to Liverpool was hardly no frills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Khedira is so underrated in this thread most of the time it's criminal.

If Untied signed the two lads it would be a serious side all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not a chance we're getting Di Maria. He wants a pay rise, simple as that, and while we could give him that, PSG could give him more. They'll fiddle FFP with a loan or some more Middle Eastern sponsorship and in the end, they'll get him.

Quandary wrote: »
    Fcuk it, slap £65m cash on the table for the two lads. What's the worst that can happen??

Lets not arse about here, give them 80-90m

I forgot I read somewhere of Khedira wanting to go to Bayern. Was probably completely baseless but yeah, German player wanting to go to Bayern... seems legit.

This news (and I know it's just two players confirmed as wanting to move, nothing really to do with us) comes JUST as I am packing up for my half day.

MINUTES after the girlfriend tells me that I will be having a little night to myself as she is going over to her mothers for the night with our newborn.

Congrats on newborn Doc

New 7 and 9! And yeah, congrats Doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How's little Vidal going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

MagicIRL wrote: »
    FUTUREGUY

Unfortunately, Ed is proving him right.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Can't see Di Maria coming to us
    Just can't see it

Unless Rojo is his roast buddy and can convince him
    Maybe they have an off the pitch Yorke Cole relationship :eek:

Actually, don't know why I'm getting excited, it'll take Ed a few months to sort out the bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I have a feeling khedira will end up at arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I really think we should just cough up the 20-25m for Khedira and get it done immediately. He's exactly what we need and isn't that expensive. Di Maria is quality but very expensive and attacking options are good for us.

Herrera - Khedira
    Mata
    Rooney - RVP

Rojo's first training

Bvj0QN_IIAEyWup.jpg

Bvj0QPjIQAAxajs.jpg

Bvj0QODIYAA-szK.jpg

Bvj0QORIQAAPbj_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Trilla wrote: »
    Can't see Di Maria coming to us
    Just can't see it

Unless Rojo is his roast buddy and can convince him
    Maybe they have an off the pitch Yorke Cole relationship :eek:

I said that earlier, that was supposedly the same reason we signed Kleberson to keep Ronaldinho sweet.....:mad:

Breaking news: Real Madrid have bought a new fax machine fuelling speculation they are preparing themselves for a bid for DiMaria and Khedira! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

TheTownie wrote: »
    Rojo's first training

Bvj0QPjIQAAxajs.jpg

"See him there? That's Blackett. He messed up, so I made him cry. Don't mess up"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Must......resist......excitement...

LVG looks like he just seen a ghost in those picks.

Or just watching Young

xtal191 wrote: »

Tancredi thinks there a slight mistake there. Khedira rejected contract renewal, not asked to leave.
    Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2m
    Correction. Ancelotti said: "Di Maria asked to be sold. Khedira rejected to renew his contract"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730752/Manchester-United-offer-Phil-Jones-improved-75-000-week-contract.html

Surely the most bizzarre story of the summer - how about earning the £50k a week he's on at the moment first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Rojo's first training

Bvj0QODIYAA-szK.jpg

"See these f*cking balls - not as big as mine. Remember that yesh?"

"What the f*ck have I let myself in for???"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If we sign Di Maria I don't see a way to play both Rvp & Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I want the ballsh in the back of the ****ing net on the weekend or elshe.

Plenty more training pics here.

Here are a few pics out of that lot

453899292-wayne-rooney-and-robin-van-persie-of-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QfUxrXYOkO0HXx6h2GcNc6aBSw47OGyTnBItFSfOCtSRrX3wS9b4RyYiY7NWYSt%2b5rZZ6XeQVifQlV%2bv3kvOFVs%3d

453899284-manager-louis-van-gaal-of-manchester-united-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSM9hANiC6V2BlIjxBQD352%2fTdIthxwW%2fqa7c9nQOyjrwu22zX0HWMo6qESOJaRjRj3KvRjTq%2fynIljxa0y%2bdDo%3d

453899286-wayne-rooney-and-robin-van-persie-of-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QWCyQ%2fRE1ksyCOzTHfjRg2qLg%2bEFzDy8dxQRB71f6QkmN3oIbCuuFAvcA8U6oD%2bUPVZCjAb57Vqzq%2fWLvqGqOcw%3d

453899288-david-de-gea-and-anderson-of-manchester-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qd%2fPKxvGOKnMlpO6kc5d2HOSO6GKKUgmDOu7J1Tgvp4suYhwmhZPmgsOnMPaSfDGps%2fassP7uVQMUYoCepkh2UA%3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

453899286-wayne-rooney-and-robin-van-persie-of-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QWCyQ%2fRE1ksyCOzTHfjRg2qLg%2bEFzDy8dxQRB71f6QkmN3oIbCuuFAvcA8U6oD%2bUPVZCjAb57Vqzq%2fWLvqGqOcw%3d

"YOU'RE the Captain!?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    Khedira is so underrated in this thread most of the time it's criminal.

really? i thought for the most part, people really rate him.

a player who has just won a world cup and a champions league (picked to start both finals even though he missed most of the season) says enough about him IMO.

perhaps not the best player to sign in terms of matching with herrera but overall, a really top quality player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

that Ando pic pissed me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Lucas Hood wrote: »

di maria played quite centrally last season so i would say a 442 diamond with him playing on the left of the diamond herrera on the right and mata on top behind the 2 of them. would required a DM signed to play at the bottom of the diamond but could work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Madrid were able to fit him, modric, Khedira, Benzema, bale and Ronaldo into the starting 11 for the CL final...

i am sure we can fit in Rooney and RVP, its mata that would be sacrificed. however, in a 4-2-3-1 we can fit in all 4, its the 2 thats the problem.

in a 4-3-3 (how madrid lined up) di maria played wide left of the 2, with Bale covering the other wing, but interchanging/floating with Ronaldo.

good players can/should be able to, play in more than one position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is Ando even fit?

If he is I wouldn't mind seeing him and Herrera start on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

really? i thought for the most part, people really rate him.

I always note with dismay a sort of "meh" tone about him from people in this part of the world.

Maybe my eyes are just drawn to the "I don't really rate him" posts disproportionately.
    a player who has just won a world cup and a champions league (picked to start both finals even though he missed most of the season) says enough about him IMO.

perhaps not the best player to sign in terms of matching with herrera but overall, a really top quality player.

Agree totally. Really improved Germany when he came back, and Real's actions around the ECL final are as ringing an endorsement as you'll see.

Possibly having two guys who are able to get up and back in midfield might not be the worst thing for United, could see Herrara and Khedira complementing each other although it would be the more standard thing to get a pure sitter in behind Herrera ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Ando even fit?

Are you having a laugh?

How people still this guy should be in the team is beyond me.
    The guy will never start another game for the club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Coat22 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730752/Manchester-United-offer-Phil-Jones-improved-75-000-week-contract.html

Surely the most bizzarre story of the summer - how about earning the £50k a week he's on at the moment first?

So not only do we seem to be accepting mediocrity, we're also rewarding it.

Is Ando even fit?

Can't imagine him starting, might be given a chance of a run out due to Fellaini injury but seriously doubt he'll start. From the looks of things the he is still behind Fletcher, Herrera and Cleverly in terms of picking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Fletcher I liked but he just doesn't have it in him anymore. No confidence in any of those players barring Herrera.

J. Marston wrote: »
    So not only do we seem to be accepting mediocrity, we're also rewarding it.

I must be one of the few people who actually think Phil Jones is a good player. I see him as a longterm fixture in the defence and in most games I watch him he puts in great tackles and work rate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement