Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Coat22 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730752/Manchester-United-offer-Phil-Jones-improved-75-000-week-contract.html

Surely the most bizzarre story of the summer - how about earning the £50k a week he's on at the moment first?

oh dear....first Valencia, then Jones and talk of Cleverly. Young on ~100k and our wage bill overall is £181million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Trilla wrote: »
    that Ando pic pissed me off!

I was thinking the exact same myself. He was all laughs doing his ice bucket challenge the other day too.

He seems to have little care about trying to push himself and become good player and a starter for UTD in one of our most in need areas. If he wanted to push himself he could become something as the need is there but he looks perfectly happy to be a bench warmer taking a wage from the club and joking around with the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I must be one of the few people who actually think Phil Jones is a good player. I see him as a longterm fixture in the defence and in most games I watch him he puts in great tackles and work rate.

No footballing brain, he has all the physical attributes to be brilliant, but decision making and positional sense are lacking at the moment.

oh dear....first Valencia, then Jones and talk of Cleverly. Young on ~100k and our wage bill overall is £181million.

This would be a good time to tell them to earn their money or hit the road. I wouldn't be bumping up any contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I must be one of the few people who actually think Phil Jones is a good player. I see him as a longterm fixture in the defence and in most games I watch him he puts in great tackles and work rate.

Mediocrity is a bit harsh, but 75k is insane money for someone that hasn't even been given a consistent run in a specific position, regardless of who's fault that is.

Can't believe he's really being offered that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

xtal191 wrote: »
    Big question is whether it's United or PSG.. Tbh if he pics PSG I wouldn't really want him anyway - the French league is Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd actually explode in a haze of jizz if we signed Kheidera and Di Maria before the end of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

No footballing brain, he has all the physical attributes to be brilliant, but decision making and positional sense are lacking at the moment.

He may not be the finished product in terms of footballing brain, I'll give ya that, but he still is only 22, and has around 100 caps for United. I really hope this is the year he comes out and proves he will be a big part of our defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Wilson looks to be fit again.
    RedMancunian ‏@RedMancunian 3m
    [#MUFC] James Wilson has been taking part in first-team training at Carrington all this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'd actually explode in a haze of jizz if we signed Kheidera and Di Maria before the end of the window.

Stay away from you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Hopefully Wilson stays fit and gets a run in the League cup to prove his worth.

Sorry, haven't the time to read through the thread but would appreciate if someone could break what's going on with kidera and di maria. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I change my opinion on him almost weekly at this stage. Sometimes he looks utterly hopeless and other times he looks a world beater. Thought he was excellent against Swansea and my fears of his touch and distribution looked completely unfounded but he'll have a shocker soon and I'll be calling for his head. Suppose it's all down to consistency and getting a good run in his position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sorry, haven't the time to read through the thread but would appreciate if someone could break what's going on with kidera and di maria. Thanks

Ancelloti has said both have refused new contracts, and that DiMaria is likely on the way out. Combined with our long term links to DiMaria and a new midfielder, people are getting excited (and shouldn't be...only leads to heartbreak and more negativity).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm with you brother.... I think he has looked very good with serious potential at centre half for the limited amount of times he gets games there. Towards the end of last season I thought he really looked good there with run he got and last Saturday I thought he was very good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Talk that they both refused new contracts from Real. Di Maria has been linked with United for a while now, but not sure if there's anything solid in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've had my doubts about him in the past but he's looked great lately. Hopefully he can keep it up and avoid injury for a while.

Mediocrity is a bit harsh, but 75k is insane money for someone that hasn't even been given a consistent run in a specific position, regardless of who's fault that is.

Can't believe he's really being offered that much.

Welbeck £75k p/w
    Fellaini £80k p/w
    Cleverly £70k p/w
    Anderson £60k p/w
    Kagawa £80k p/w
    Ashley Young £118k p/w
    Nani £90k p/w

Most of the players who are currently making less a week than Jones are the ones who are loaned out each year or on the reserves.

Jones contract expires in 2016, and it seems he is part of the clubs plan so I can understand them locking him down to a new 5year deal with increased wages. 75k a week isn't crazy for a player who is 22 with 100+ caps and seems to be a big part of our plans now that Ferdinand and Vidic are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Give them both what ever they want Ed and end the torture,do it now, please.

The transfer negotiating tactics with Madrid should be pretty straight forward

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD9o0XBVBTsbdFMv0ZpdCCoSRbgUeJs4-ig4nIfIiGJQTk5rju

and if they try to play hardball

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShbl2XFBCoWGny0stVfVkbCQkZQfaTmFnSnLeqR_xD7lYp3Q8wRg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

madrid need them out the door. the usual summer refresh.

we're not in for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Welbeck £75k p/w
    Fellaini £80k p/w
    Cleverly £70k p/w
    Anderson £60k p/w
    Kagawa £80k p/w
    Ashley Young £118k p/w
    Nani £90k p/w

Most of the players who are currently making less a week than Jones are the ones who are loaned out each year or on the reserves.

Jones contract expires in 2016, and it seems he is part of the clubs plan so I can understand them locking him down to a new 5year deal with increased wages. 75k a week isn't crazy for a player who is 22 with 100+ caps and seems to be a big part of our plans now that Ferdinand and Vidic are gone.

I think that sooner highlights how many people are getting extortionate wages rather than justifying Phil Jones getting an additional 50% per week though.

I know what you're saying about long-term replacements for Vidic & Rio, but as of yet, I'd still rate Phil Jones as a potential, and it's a lot of additional money for potential.

I think that sooner highlights how many people are getting extortionate wages rather than justifying Phil Jones getting an additional 50% per week though.

I know what you're saying about long-term replacements for Vidic & Rio, but as of yet, I'd still rate Phil Jones as a potential, and it's a lot of additional money for potential.

I agree that we do seem to pay a lot of players more than other clubs do. Generally the break out star players in other top clubs in the premiership get 100+k a week and most of the other squad players expected to play get around 70k-90k a week.

But in Jones defence he seems to be becoming more of a starting 11 player and warrants the wages more than a lot of players are getting that aren't regular features, in my opinion. Just my view though and people are entitled to disagree.

I agree that we do seem to pay a lot of players more than other clubs do. Generally the break out star players in other top clubs in the premiership get 100+k a week and most of the other squad players expected to play get around 70k-90k a week.

But in Jones defence he seems to be becoming more of a starting 11 player and warrants the wages more than a lot of players are getting that aren't regular features, in my opinion. Just my view though and people are entitled to disagree.

Yeah that's all fine in theory,but if he's a starter (out of necessity) and he's shocking we've got a player on nearly 100k a week that we'll never be able to offload. If his wages were kept around the 50k mark and if he fails to make it, the mid team tables will have a chance at getting him.

Giving Nani those huge wages dented our chances of getting rid of him, Juventus probably were interested but at 120k a week? Not worth it.

Yeah that's all fine in theory,but if he's a starter (out of necessity) and he's shocking we've got a player on nearly 100k a week that we'll never be able to offload. If his wages were kept around the 50k mark and if he fails to make it, the mid team tables will have a chance at getting him.

Giving Nani those huge wages dented our chances of getting rid of him, Juventus probably were interested but at 120k a week? Not worth it.

I think thats the whole thing that is up for our opinions. Some see it as Jones is a starter out of necessity while others see him as a player who United have been waiting to move in to fill the role for when Vidic and Ferdinand leave.

Either way only Jones can prove whether or not he deserves the salary of a starter. Hopefully he does.

Also just to add (not justifying it just pointing it out) United player wage bill is higher than Liverpool's, Arsenal's and Chelsea's wage bill. Lower than Man City. It has probably something to do with the fact that our *turnover is significantly higher than Liverpools, Arsenals, Chelseas and even Man Citys.

*by turnover I'm referring to money from match day, tv rights and commercial activities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ladyman saying money isn't an issue with DiMaria, it's just convincing him to give up CL football for (at least) one season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Honestly, spending 70k on sub par players isn't exclusive to United. City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all do the same thing. It's just part of football now. I mean look what Glen Johnson makes at Liverpool. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Anderson doesn't have to do his day job for a living as he isn't picked for the first team, £60k a week is some dole money.
    It pays to be an unemployed United employee.

No wonder he looks so happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ed will be the parish hero if we get Di Maria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Both have asked to leave. Woodie says the money is there. LVG says it only takes 24hours to sign a player.

Go.....

Well utd ?

Go..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also just to add (not justifying it just pointing it out) United player wage bill is higher than Liverpool's, Arsenal's and Chelsea's wage bill. Lower than Man City.

It was higher than Chelsea's in 12/13 (by one million), league-winning bonuses probably played some part in that. Much lower as a % of turnover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The transfer negotiating tactics with Madrid should be pretty straight forward

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD9o0XBVBTsbdFMv0ZpdCCoSRbgUeJs4-ig4nIfIiGJQTk5rju

and if they try to play hardball

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShbl2XFBCoWGny0stVfVkbCQkZQfaTmFnSnLeqR_xD7lYp3Q8wRg

This.

If both Di Maria & Khedira are available and go elsewhere, it's a massive mistake. The same way he made a big mistake not going for Robben & Sneidjer when they left Madrid. We need to do whatever it takes to get players of that quality in positions where we are weak.

To have a world class manager, with RVP, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria & De Gea as genuine world class players, backed up by very solid players like Herrera, Khedira and some exciting young players like Shaw, Januzaj & Wilson would definitely be exciting.

RayCun wrote: »
    It was higher than Chelsea's in 12/13 (by one million), league-winning bonuses probably played some part in that. Much lower as a % of turnover

Yeah I posted in my original comment that the higher wage bill more than likely has to do with our higher turnover. As a percent yes it would more than likely be lower.

I might do some work and do up a few wages/turnover ratios later but at the moment I'm enjoying a break and a cup of tea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Kirby wrote: »
    Honestly, spending 70k on sub par players isn't exclusive to United. City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all do the same thing. It's just part of football now. I mean look what Glen Johnson makes at Liverpool. Crazy stuff.

Yeah – but its one thing giving a player 70k a week when he signs and then finding out he’s useless.

Its another having the player on your books, knowing his limitations, and then giving him 70 or 75k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the guardian has done the work for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Di Maria won't fix our problems, I'd rather focus our efforts on Kheidera.

Buy Kheidra and keep Nani would be better at addressing our needs than just getting Di Maria.

Getting both Kheidra and Di Maria would be best but I really don't think it would ever happen.

RayCun wrote: »
    the guardian has done the work for you

Ha thanks! Same figures I saw, handy article thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

steady on now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

steady on now.....

indeed.

imo, if we only singed di maria we'd only be making our main problems worse - to get the most out of him wed have to change our formation that even further exposes our weaknesses in defence and midfield.

until Cm and CB are sorted, everything else is just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

If it's true that both Di Maria and Khedira are on the market.....

We need both, it's really that simple, especially if the Vidal deal is dead then we this is a golden opportunity for us, hopefully the Rojo/Di Maria friendship puts us in the driver's seat for him but somehow I can see him heading to PSG....

Either way, a chance like this does not happen too oven towards the end of a summer window and if we should not pass it up....

We've heard about the 'big bucks' at OT ready to be spent, let's see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

So Rojo has kind of cost £21 million seeing as nani's 5 million wages have to be paid while at sporting. Worth it if hes a success and nani has a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I think this would work as a team, and have us playing all our best players...

DDG

----Raf---Evans--Rojo----Shaw----

Kheidera

Herrera
    Di Maria

Mata

RVP
    Rooney

Madrid have basically just come out and said we can buy those two players, so lets just do it, FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Is parish another word for Twitter now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Id like to see some truth in an actual Bid if any does go in for both players.
    Looks as if utd never moved for Vidal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I am 100% condifent, without a shadow of a doubt that, Di Maria is going to end up at PSG.

There isn't a prayer of him being our new number 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Julez wrote: »
    I think this would work as a team, and have us playing all our best players...

DDG

----Raf---Evans--Rojo----Shaw----

Kheidera

Herrera
    Di Maria

Mata

RVP
    Rooney

Madrid have basically just come out and said we can buy those two players, so lets just do it, FFS!

That team would score goals but get annihilated defensively

v3ttel wrote: »
    This.

If both Di Maria & Khedira are available and go elsewhere, it's a massive mistake. The same way he made a big mistake not going for Robben & Sneidjer when they left Madrid. We need to do whatever it takes to get players of that quality in positions where we are weak.

To have a world class manager, with RVP, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria & De Gea as genuine world class players, backed up by very solid players like Herrera, Khedira and some exciting young players like Shaw, Januzaj & Wilson would definitely be exciting.
    Di Maria won't fix our problems, I'd rather focus our efforts on Kheidera.

Buy Kheidra and keep Nani would be better at addressing our needs than just getting Di Maria.

Getting both Kheidra and Di Maria would be best but I really don't think it would ever happen.

All joking aside, even though both players may want out I think Madrid will try to get them to sign new contracts. There were massive calls from the Madrid fan base to keep Di Maria after the super cup the other night.

Plus dealing with Florentino Perez and co. You can be certain they won't make it easy for us.

Julez wrote: »

I think they were talking to PSG, we just had a glass up against the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I am 100% condifent, without a shadow of a doubt that, Di Maria is going to end up at PSG.

There isn't a prayer of him being our new number 7.

I love you FutureGuy you really make my day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement