Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

If the level of player isn't available then surely you drop down to the next level.

If Vidal isn't available, go for someone below him.

I totally agree with you there. Might be happening. Can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Headshot wrote: »
    Personally if I only saw Di Maria as the last signing this transfer window, ill be ****ing delighted tbh. He's a game winner and utd have missed this for some time. If you can get a player of Di Maria quality, you cant turn it down

Could easily have said this about Mata in January.

Style doesn't work without substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am really shocked we havent signed De Jong, I cant think of a single reason why he wouldnt be a good fit for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

bullvine wrote: »
    I am really shocked we havent signed De Jong, I cant think of a single reason why he wouldnt be a good fit for the team.

Because there is still more than an hour left in the transfer window! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

They could well afford him, but the figures don't back up the myth of Jersey sales recouping major costs. It would require sponsor deals that would surprise me, as well as an argument the over a million people that would not have bought the kit, ended up buying it just because of the one purchase.

I bought the myth apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Relax, people....

https://twitter.com/ManUtdChannel/statuses/502538421575770113

We've got TC23 and we're giving him more wages.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Relax, people....

Could we send him out on a permanent loan? One that doesn't involve paying his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If LVG is persisting with a 3-5-2 then Di Maria is a waste, plain and simple. Kagawa already covers a WC player in Di Maria's position in it. Another RWB/RB like Cuadrado and a CM, ANY CM is what should close out the window, not spunking money for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Liam O wrote: »
    If LVG is persisting with a 3-5-2 then Di Maria is a waste, plain and simple. Kagawa already covers a WC player in Di Maria's position in it. Another RWB/RB like Cuadrado and a CM, ANY CM is what should close out the window, not spunking money for the sake of it.

He's already said he's only playing 352 because he doesn't have the players he needs for his favoured 433.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

J. Marston wrote: »
    Relax, people....

F**king Jesus Christ wept!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Cringe ^^^^^

Cleverley is 1 year away from being a free transfer isnt he? Well it makes sense to get him on a new contract. Nani did it and still got no games and went on loan. Chill. Doesn't mean Vidal isn't coming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If the level of player isn't available then surely you drop down to the next level.

If Vidal isn't available, go for someone below him.

Honestly, for all people want to make out we have a bunch of Sunday leaguers in our midfield, I would think we have plenty down on that level. What we need is significant improvement, not another settle job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lads talk of this contract has been bandied about since the end of last season.

It should come as no shock, hopefully a bit of cop on is shown by posters here when it's official, we have bigger issues right now without the TC23 hate posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly, for all people want to make out we have a bunch of Sunday leaguers in our midfield, I would think we have plenty down on that level. What we need is significant improvement, not another settle job.

Schneiderlen IMO would improve the United midfield and I'm sure would jump at the chance to move.

The other side of that is we shouldn't be spending summers chasing high profile signings, only to say they're not available, they don't want to come to Manchester etc. and ignore all the players out there who could improve our midfield. It hasn't worked for years now.

Schneiderlen IMO would improve the United midfield and I'm sure would jump at the chance to move.

Southampton have completely blocked him from leaving. Its a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

billyhead wrote: »
    Everyone knows he would not be the 1st choice player we should go after, but if Vidal is not available their are not many options out their apart from Strootman in January.

There are dozens of midfielders that would improve the squad ,I don't see why people think it has to be Vidal or Strootman.

I would love to see those players signed and Di Maria but there are plenty of players available that will improve United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This the same player Southampton are pretty much refusing to sell right now? (which goes back to what I said earlier about players not being available). Its likely that we did ask and got the same reply other clubs have ("**** off", basically).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

yabadabado wrote: »
    There are dozens of midfielders that would improve the squad ,I don't see why people think it has to be Vidal or Strootman.

I would love to see those players signed and Di Maria but there are plenty of players available that will improve United.

Name the dozens, curious as who they are, and if available.

• Advertisement

I also don't see why Strootman is easily available to us.

twam2008 wrote: »

That post doesn't say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

twam2008 wrote: »

The chance to work under LVG at club level. United are obviously a much bigger club and not to mention a massive jump in wages. There are lots of reasons why he would like to join us. He could go on a strike/hissy fit to force a move like Rojo and submit a transfer request. Remember the players have lots of power nowadays and contracts are meaningless.

GSPfan wrote: »
    That post doesn't say that.

No, but there seems to be a general consensus that Strootman will just stroll in January. It seems that Schneiderlin wants out and a serious offer should do it, worked with Rojo and all were fine with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

This the same player Southampton are pretty much refusing to sell right now? (which goes back to what I said earlier about players not being available). Its likely that we did ask and got the same reply other clubs have ("**** off", basically).

They were refusing to sell Lovren too, if a player wants the move he can get it.

secman wrote: »
    Do you not think there are dozens of CM's who would improve the squad if they were signed?
    My point is United shouldn't be just targeting Vidal and Strootman and their are plenty of players a level below who could do a good job.

DeJong,Khedira,Lars/Swen Bender,Illarimendi,Song,Sandro,Schneiderlen,
    Carvalho,Veretti ,xhada are just a handful of players who would improve the squad.I.m not going to name 20+ players but I have seen plenty of all the players mentioned I would have no doubt they are an upgrade.

EDIT:There was actually a list here last summer ,I think Mikey did it up, of players who could join United .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's already said he's only playing 352 because he doesn't have the players he needs for his favoured 433.

I don't think di Maria really opens us up to other formations. We still wouldn't have the central midfield players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Not sure why we'd buy Di Maria without buying a top CM before the window shuts. Doesn't seem like we're going to get anymore players in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I haven't read the last page or 2 so have no idea where conversation has drifted off too but an observation I have is that the team is severely lacking in pace, making quick transitions and counter attacks less prevalent/ and or successful.

I'd love if both Di Maria and Cuadrado were brought in. Just my hope not suggesting it likely, as well as a midfielder. Another CB wouldn't go amiss either but lets not lose the run of ourselves entirely :pac: How you accommodate the players is another story but the team needs pace and a bit of bite/nous in midfield. We have the players to unlock the doors and to score the goals but we need to add to that. I'm stating the obvious with all of the above I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Reedsie wrote: »
    Hindsight is wonderful. At the time most fans were happy to see him go for the money received.

Any fan that was happy to see him go was an idiot. Best player bar none i've seen play.
    secman wrote: »

There are easily dozens listed. Pick prety much any top 4-6 club in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, look at who starts in midfield. Will they improve our midfield. Yes.
    I haven't read the last page or 2 so have no idea where conversation has drifted off too but an observation I have is that the team is severely lacking in pace, making quick transitions and counter attacks less prevalent/ and or successful.

I'd love if both Di Maria and Cuadrado were brought in. Just my hope not suggesting it likely, as well as a midfielder. Another CB wouldn't go amiss either but lets not lose the run of ourselves entirely :pac: How you accommodate the players is another story but the team needs pace and a bit of bite/nous in midfield. We have the players to unlock the doors and to score the goals but we need to add to that. I'm stating the obvious with all of the above I know.

I'd be pissed off if they both came in. Still no midfielder or CB bought. Disaster if we don't get a CB and a CM this window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

glued wrote: »
    Doesn't seen like we're going to get anymore players in anyway.

Based on what?

Seeing arsenal might be in for Cavani. If they buy him, PSG will certainly get di Maria, no question about that I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rumours of Cavani to Arsenal if true bye bye Di Maria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Agree the fee and Give Rojo the phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I don't think di Maria really opens us up to other formations. We still wouldn't have the central midfield players.

I agree he wouldn't right now, but imo our squad as it currently is plus Di Maria is definitely good enough for top 4 this year. Once we do finally get the central midfielders we're going to be looking for a top class winger and it's more than likely there won't be any as good as Di Maria available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We got 3 problems at moment IMO.

Very inexperienced defence with need for top class center half.

Complete lack of creativity in midfield.

Lack of pace, counter attack ability and width in attack.

Di Maria will solve one of those problems anyway and its a start. Wed get away with defence if we stick to a flat back 4 and avoid injuries.

Di Maria will solve one of those problems anyway and its a start. Wed get away with defence if we stick to a flat back 4 and avoid injuries.
    Herrera will improve the creativity in midfield, linking with mata, if we get a combative midfielder to give him a bit of freedom.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have reinforced with class. We have brought in 2 players with potential.

Tick tock.

Herrera will improve the creativity in midfield, linking with mata, if we get a combative midfielder to give him a bit of freedom.

I never thought I would say this but at this stage I would be delighted to sign De Jong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There are four better teams than us as of today IMO

We are only 2 or 3 players away from having a top side but still so far, getting those players is like our Everest at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I never thought I would say this but at this stage I would be delighted to sign De Jong.

De Jong would be a good fit just now, would help shore up our porous midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Di Maria?

No thanks.

Not until our more pressing problems in midfield and defence are resolved.

And even then I've a bad "caveat emptor" feeling about this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FutureGuy we might need you in overdrive over the next 11 days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

There's a huge hole in your master plan.

The defenders are made of glass. I fear for who we'll end up playing there this season.

I think Herrera will play there at least once.

Have to be honest, I thrive off rumours, and not just for us, for any team, the transfer window is on par with the last few games of the season, it plays a big part in who does what, and I can't remember a year when there has been less talk about who we are actually in for. Some say we're being all secretive, it'll be good, wait until the last day, but all I can think is Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

have feeling we will make bid for James McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

This has to be the worst window we ve had. Even though we ve signed a few players, our main rivals who we were already lagging behind have all bought well and strengthened their weak spots from last season. If we dont act decisively in the next fortnight we re only going to fall further behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So that's what that mystery post was earlier. I thought you were posting in the wrong thread or something..:pac:

McCarthy would be an underwhelming signing at this point but might compliment Herrera. Give us a bit of bite in the middle all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

He will fit better than Di Maria but him and Di Maria would be bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Would be great to see a Green Devil again, has been a while now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement