Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

astradave wrote: »
    So that's what that mystery post was earlier. I thought you were posting in the wrong thread or something..:pac:

McCarthy would be an underwhelming signing at this point but might compliment Herrera. Give us a bit of bite in the middle all the same.

Mccarthy is better than he s given credit for. A big improvement in what we have at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

So Ancelotti confirms Di Maria wants to leave and now suggestions that PSG have accepted 40 million from Arsenal for Cavani.

If true (which it probably isn't) I doubt it's a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As things stand and the different circumstances is this summer worse then last summer in yer opinion?

for me yes, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

McCarthy would be a great signing, doubt we could get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

n32 wrote: »
    This has to be the worst window we ve had. Even though we ve signed a few players, our main rivals who we were already lagging behind have all bought well and strengthened their weak spots from last season. If we dont act decisively in the next fortnight we re only going to fall further behind

You're joking right? Can you not think back 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

twam2008 wrote: »

Ah for f*ck sake. Are we Rochdale now or something???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

We're Manchester U-f*cking-nited. Of course we can get a player from Everton. Not sure if he's the answer though.

Ah for f*ck sake. Are we Rochdale now or something???

I think he's seriously under rated, would have much preferred him to Fellaini last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Scholes was a class player but wrote or ghost wrote a rubbish article in Irish Indo today,claimed 5 signings needed in rest if transfer window to save the club from doing a Liverpool on it ...ie disappearing for 20 yrs.
    Khedira,Di Maria,Xabi Alonso,Varane and Mats Hummels.
    In fairness as if Real Madrid would sell likes of Varane!!

If true I am disgusted by first part of article where Scholesy said that when he was helping Giggs in April club directors sounded him out on if they should go after Tony Kroos or Cescs Fabregas this summer.Scholes told them to go after and get both of them.
    Hmmmm,what happened to that plan;(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As things stand and the different circumstances is this summer worse then last summer in yer opinion?

for me yes, sadly.
    Yes.

We needed much more this summer, IMO, and not got close. The squad should have performed better last season, but I see a lack of improvement this summer while the other top sides have improved. We are further off top four quality than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Di Maria?

No thanks.

Not until our more pressing problems in midfield and defence are resolved.

And even then I've a bad "caveat emptor" feeling about this guy.

Enough negativity from United in the transfer window without you making it worse on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

We need 3 CB's. The way I look at it Evans, Jones, or Smalling wouldn't be in the first team for Man Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool.

This makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Do ye think that this would work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would be over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

thelad95 wrote: »
    You're joking right? Can you not think back 12 months?

12 months ago was bad as well but what makes this year worse is that this year we desperately needed to make up ground after last season but all our rivals are now in a stronger position than before the summer. We had to make a big statement this year to get back to where we were but alas we ve let another window slip by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mata on the wing doesn't work, it is a waste of his talents, is defensively suspect. Mata won't work in a 442.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

That front 6 is orgasmic we would win most games 6-3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Mata on the wing doesn't work, it is a waste of his talents, is defensively suspect. Mata won't work in a 442.

Januzaj instead would be better but horrible to have a talent like mata on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

n32 wrote: »
    We had to make a big statement this year to get back to where we were but alas we ve let another window slip by

Its actually been Utd's highest spending transfer window ever but such is the deadwood in the squad that the money spent has hardly made a dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Another day of no signings with i think 10 days to go when the club's reputation is on the line. I agree with scholesy, if these issues aren't solved we will slip into mediocrity. Imagine us ending up like Blackburn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

for me yes, sadly.

As things stand, this summer transfer window is worse all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's already said he's only playing 352 because he doesn't have the players he needs for his favoured 433.

If he thinks this he's deluded. Could have played a 4-3-3 much more easily than a 3-5-2 last weekend, Nani, Mata, Kagawa, Lingard, Januzaj, Young and probably one or 2 I'm forgetting could have played behind Rooney with Herrera and Fletcher/Fellaini behind him. A back 4 of Raf, Jones, Smalling and Blackett or if Raf was unfit then James. Anything other than Lingard playing right back in other words.

Another day of no signings with i think 10 days to go when the club's reputation is on the line. I agree with scholesy, if these issues aren't solved we will slip into mediocrity. Imagine us ending up like Blackburn

I know, a whole 24 hours without signing a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

We need 3 CB's. The way I look at it Evans, Jones, or Smalling wouldn't be in the first team for Man Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool.

This makes me sad.

Evans would be in the first team for all of them bar City IMO. He is better than Cahill, Kos and Sakho/Skrtel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What the **** like?

Do you want a player signed every day is it? Did you miss the player signing yesterday possibly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we are after DiMaria (and Khedira), then Real know they have 10 days left to milk the transfer and get as much out of it as possible. They'll be happy to sit back and hope for a bidding war. Not going to get done quick, but thats the price of buying big players from big teams.

kryogen wrote: »
    What the **** like?

Do you want a player signed every day is it? Did you miss the player signing yesterday possibly?

Football chairmen should be judged by statistics just like their players... Anyone got the "transfers per day" stats for the current group?

I wonder how much Daniel Levy is going for on the transfer market? He was banging them in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Hmm I think I know what just happened...

red-dwarf-fishy-o.gif

He would be a seriously underwhelming signing
    Khedira >>>>> McCarthy

The team need quality signings ,not overpriced overrated British players .
    Cleverley was the toast of Wigan before McCarthy and we saw how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »

He looks like he's getting ready to give birth.

kryogen wrote: »
    What the **** like?

With the squad we have yes i would like signings everyday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I would be over the moon.

Be definitely a bottle of Jim Beam drank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

TheTownie wrote: »

He loves Osman

Wonder did he try to sign him for Utd?? :)

Khedira >>>>> McCarthy
    I would rather a McCarthy than there's a no value in the market, there's no players available, you all only want big signings, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mccarthy would be a typical United signing, which is exactly what we dont want.

I would rather a McCarthy than there's a no value in the market, there's no players available, you all only want big signings, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverley.

Once sec we're talkin about Di Maria and seeing how he would adjust into the squad and now there are people settling for just McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Moyes again biting off more than he can chew,bollix left out the Sir for Rod Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Are you telling me that following the sale United spent 80 million more than they had planned before the sale of Ronaldo?

Let's see, Ronaldo was sold in 09, in 09-10 and 10-11 the following were signed: Antonio Valencia, Michael Owen, Gabriel Obertan, Mame Biram Diouf, Marnick Vermiji, Chris Smalling, Javier Hernandez, Bebe, Anders Lindegaard.

Are you kidding me in suggesting that the Ronaldo money was reinvested? Who was he replaced by? Valencia? Hernandez?

United are in the top three richest clubs in the world, their spending in those years (and since) showed no indication of that, regardless of the fact that they supposedly had 80 million quid extra to spend.

It's pretty obvious where that money went. Look at Man U's income and expenditure since the Glazers took over.

Also, the phrase "spent a fortune" is completely meaningless in this context. Yeah, to plebs like you and me United spend fortunes, in the context of the world in which they operate they under invest (regardless of what those nonsense net figures from Sky Sports suggest)

Ah I see where you are coming from but that money didn't nessescarily have to e reinvested for exactly 80 million.

Maybe fergie didn't think he needed to throw 80 million at players just because he make that much in sales.

I get your point.

Yes, Valencia was Ronaldos replacement. Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Khedira >>>>> McCarthy

The team need quality signings ,not overpriced overrated British players .
    Cleverley was the toast of Wigan before McCarthy and we saw how that turned out.

But that's just total lies McCarthy was the star of Wigan while Cleverley was thrown on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

McCarthy not the answer, plus we would be overpaying since Martinez likes him and he just signed a new contract.

Once sec we're talkin about Di Maria and seeing how he would adjust into the squad and now there are people settling for just McCarthy

Yep, I would rather we went after the player positions we need. I would love to get Di Maria, but only if we got a Central Midfielder (i.e. Schneiderlin, Khedira, Bender, McCarthy :O), spending money hasn't exactly worked out for so far. A proper central defender would be nice too. I know, stuff of dreams for the biggest club in the world.

At this stage Utd need players who can come in and add class, making a difference from day one and become a fixture in the team.
    McCarthy isn't that player.

There have been enough players like him bought for their "potential" over the last few years ,Utd need at least one quality midfielder ,they have enough average players like Mc Carthy .
    How many times did Fergie buy "potential" central midfielders ,most of whom were underwhelming signings.

If Khedira is available for reasonable money then he must be signed ,he is exactly what the team craves.

At this stage Utd need players who can come in and add class, making a difference from day one and become a fixture in the team.
    McCarthy isn't that player.

There have been enough players like him bought for their "potential" over the last few years ,Utd need at least one quality midfielder ,they have enough average players like Mc Carthy .
    How many times did Fergie buy "potential" central midfielders ,most of whom were underwhelming signings.

If Khedira is available for reasonable money then he must be signed ,he is exactly what the team craves.

I think the problem we have had for quite a while is that they're not good enough for us, I'm not saying go on and buy ****, but don't dismiss everyone who isn't £XXm. We have ignored problems on our team due to there not being the players available, which I think is pure ****e, the players are there, you're just not looking for the right ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly, for all people want to make out we have a bunch of Sunday leaguers in our midfield, I would think we have plenty down on that level. What we need is significant improvement, not another settle job.

The likes of Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverley would badly struggle to make almost all Premier League teams apart from promoted teams. Michael Carrinck is 33 and in decline too. Herrera looked a tidy player in the Swansea game but to my eyes a good bit short of world class. Fellaini is useful but is out of favour and obviously struggling to fit in.

Most midtable premier league teams have midfields capable of matching or beating United's. Solid inexpensive signings would be more useful than no world class signings. Villa for instance signed Colombian linchpin Carlos Sanchez for €4.5m albeit from a small club like Elche. If he was to replicate his world cup form in the premier league it could be an absolute bargain.

• Advertisement

The likes of Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverley would badly struggle to make almost all Premier League teams apart from promoted teams. Michael Carrinck is 33 and in decline too. Herrera looked a tidy player in the Swansea game but to my eyes a good bit short of world class. Fellaini is useful but is out of favour and obviously struggling to fit in.

Most midtable premier league teams have midfields capable of matching or beating United's. Solid inexpensive signings would be more useful than no world class signings. Villa for instance signed Colombian linchpin Carlos Sanchez for €4.5m albeit from a small club like Elche. If he was to replicate his world cup form in the premier league it could be an absolute bargain.

Exactly, you only have to look at our most recent signing, I have to admit, I'm now looking forward to seeing him turn in to a legend cos he's a red, but no one knows much about him, yet we've paid £16m for him, given Nani away (No problem as such, his best days are behind him,probably!) but we're paying his wages. It's around £20.5m and Swansea have bought his international team mate for around £8m. Our scouting system isn't working, our preparation for each season isn't working. Woodward's not working. We have the money, we know the kind of players we need, what's the answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No because all the players are facing the wrong way. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

adox wrote: »
    No because all the players are facing the wrong way. :pac:

You're looking at it the wrong way. De Gea is the lone striker. No one would expect it. It's foolproof if you can convince the ref to let you play with two goalkeepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Well lads! been abroad and offline for the last 5/6 days..what have I missed? I know we signed Rojo and apparently were knocked off for Mulluer and Reus this summer..but anything else of note?

Any new player links??

I see ye started a new thread..Any meltdowns lately??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Load of **** more them likely.....

Breaking load from beIN: They say their sources have confirmed to them that Angel Di Maria is edging closer to Man United. #mufc #rmcf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement