Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think we absolutely do need DiMaria. A top level winger who can play in midfield too would actually really help us. Not, mind, that he should be the number 1 priority, but he fixes a problem we are going to face sooner rather than later.

I've read he can be deployed in CM, but has anyone seen him play there?

He played a lot of games in cm for Madrid last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

100m is misleading, its the fee and the cost of his wages for 5 years

Going by that daily mail story which has the £100 million package with £50 million being the actual transfer fee, the remaining £50 million in wages spread over 5 years would be ~£200k a week.

Just adding that to make the £100 million bit slightly more plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Please no shoehorning. Just sign another midfielder! Pleeeeeasee!

Crying-gifs-10112013-01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Di Maria should be bought if at all possible. He is the quality that is severely lacking in the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He played a lot of games in cm for Madrid last season.

I watched a lot of Real last year and I never saw him play CM. Not saying he didnt but it couldnt have been that often.

To me he is a total winger/forward. Does not have the skill set for CM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Adnan was ok...flashed of brilliance, but no end product (i think he wont the corner for the goal, i could be wrong) but he then gave away the ball for the winning goal.

he got a serious ear full off Rooney several times, but ignored it. he is very raw and did some great things, but he was nothing special to be honest and he was frustrating at times.

I think he ran into a few dead ends because whenever he ran with the ball the attackers were still trying to get forward from mid field meaning he ended up keeping the ball and eventually lost it. Think when RVP gets back and if we sort out CM allowing Rooney and Mata stay up front he’ll start to open up huge space and get killer balls in.

Here’s hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

100m is misleading, its the fee and the cost of his wages for 5 years

indeed....sure Rooney will cost us the guts of £60million in the next 4 years.

unless we are in trouble to hit financial targets, at the moment we have a £33.8million gap in our projected wage bill, with potentially Nani, Anderson and Fellaini leaving meaning another £11.9M becomes available.

though Sporting and Napoli wont pay their full wages or perhaps anywhere near it, we have by all accounts (if what Woodward says is true in last financial statement), a huge amount of wages left in our armour to offer.

we should be able to sign 3 superstars on big wages in the next 2 weeks if he is keeping his word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where exactly would Di Maria play in the system that LVG is trying to implement? Wing Back??

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Where exactly would Di Maria play in the system that LVG is trying to implement? Wing Back??

I think LVG favoured system is 4-3-3, so if he gets the players in that he wants we may switch to that

Di Maria could then play on the left of either of the 3's maybe......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do people really think Nani would go back to Portugal he would surely have better options. Juventus are supposed to be interested in him i very much doubt he will be going to Sporting.

Also what's the story with Anderson is he injured or just banished from anything to do with the first team.

• Advertisement

Was Giggs behind the decision to bring on Nani on Saturday? It looked / smelled like it was his idea.

Naughty step for Giggs if he keeps coming up with contributions like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If he's planning on getting the players in to switch to 4-3-3 then Di Maria might slot in as an AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not wing back at all .youd assume the same role as Robben has in the Dutch team, as wing back would suit him.

in saying that LVG did say we dont have wingers for 4-3-3 so perhaps he is looking to sign him for that reason perhaps.

personally, i have think the 3-5-2 is not an option for us with the current players we have, its just not viable when it comes down to the better teams - they are going to crucify us especially away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

3-5-2-1 is only being played because of the lack of players for 4-3-3, am I right?

Di Maria would be a fine move in to a 4-3-3 midfield, would he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fletcher was awful, as to how he played 90 minutes ill never know. taking off Herrera (even though i thought he wasnt great) was strange.

what was also strange was the defensive set up in the second half in the 4-4-2. Jones playing out of position (he is horrible at RB), Young playing out of position at left back and both were horribly exposed then for the goal. surely it would have made more sense and better balance to go with.

Young
    Jones
    Smalling
    Blackett

Jones was very good at right-back and didn't do much wrong for the second goal, never mind being horribly exposed.
    Adnan was ok...flashed of brilliance, but no end product (i think he wont the corner for the goal, i could be wrong) but he then gave away the ball for the winning goal.

I agree his end product was weak, but the way he gave away the ball for the second goal was to be tackled by two Swansea players deep into their half when he was the furthest man forward (just). No way he should be criticised for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Swansea just signed argentine international centre back Fernandez from Napoli apparently.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9427916/transfer-news-federico-fernandez-undergoes-swansea-medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

van gaal will play 4-3-3 diamond when he gets the players he wants, so he will prob play on the left of the diamond

Carrick

Herrera
    Di Maria---

Mata

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Also what's the story with Anderson is he injured or just banished from anything to do with the first team.

Think he injured himself after 2 days of training.

Fell over his Big Mac or something

Coat22 wrote: »
    Was Giggs behind the decision to bring on Nani on Saturday? It looked / smelled like it was his idea.

Did you watch the game or just make your mind up before Nani came on that no matter how he plays you were going to criticise him. Nani when he came on done more than most players on the pitch Saturday.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    3-5-2-1 is only being played because of the lack of players for 4-3-3, am I right?

Then we'll be dropping one of Rooney, RvP or Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If he's planning on getting the players in to switch to 4-3-3 then Di Maria might slot in as an AM.

would say he would play a diamond with herrara and di maria on the sides and mata on the top of it. the lb and rb would likely still be the main width but both herrara and di maria will offer width too

Also i agree about Lingard at wing back i thought it was strange. I don't think his all around game is great but he has an eye for a goal if played it should be further forward. I have no problem playing wing backs when Rafael and Shaw are back but starting with Young and Lingard was always going to be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Pro. F wrote: »

This is our problem. We lack the players for both systems. 3-5-2 or whatever way you want to spin it is probably the best option considering those 3 up front. We still need midfielders though.

Did you watch the game or just make your mind up before Nani came on that no matter how he plays you were going to criticise him. Nani when he came on done more than most players on the pitch Saturday.

If you say so - must be why they're trying to send him to Lisbon and even agree to keep paying the guys wages.

Think he dived once and ran lots but apart from that still the same Nani

I think we absolutely do need DiMaria. A top level winger who can play in midfield too would actually really help us. Not, mind, that he should be the number 1 priority, but he fixes a problem we are going to face sooner rather than later.

He played there a fair bit for Madrid, but he still ended up going out to the wing from there to do his best work when Ronaldo was drifting inside. Imo if we're going to spend big money on him it should be as a winger, or as the pacey central winger in the front two of the 3412 ala Robben.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yes Ryan Giggs is calling the shots not LVG. :o

This Giggs witch-hunt from some posters is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

what did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My hope for the next 12 months is to get fourth and to bring in the calibre of player we need. I'm not pushed about who we bring in today, tomorrow, in 6 weeks or on 6 months. I'm not pushed if we lose our next 3.

So long as we get fourth, have a superb squad for next year and have the team fully attuned to LVG's style. That's what matters, not what happens on a day to day basis.

You'd drive yourself mad if you were waiting for news every day.

Is that a bit contradictory? Surely to get 4th and have a superb squad, you can't afford to be so blasé about loosing your opening 4 games and not signing anyone of note in this window or the next?

I've popped in to this thread to see a fans perspective on how ManU are progressing this Summer. From the outside, it looks like not much has changed. You've mostly got the same poor squad as last season and no transfer war-chest materialised. Van Gaal was seen as the answer but hasn't had the start he'd hope for to herald a new era. One game doesn't make a season of course (and ye do have injuries) but to me, it has punctuated ManU's lack of movement to refresh the squad.

It just appears that there is some expectation and ManU will simply "turn things around" and be a force again, when the reality is, not much has changed. and it doesn't appear the owners are willing to cough up the money to make things happen.

Nolars wrote: »
    what did he do?

Beat players, linked up with his team mates and put in some decent crosses. He had a decent game.

what did he do?

From my memory he cut inside played a ball along the ground into the box where Rooney stumbled if he got it right would have been through on goal.

In injury time turned two defenders inside out and put in a dangerous ball that nobody got on the end of.

I am sure they are more but i didn't re watch the match.

Those two incidents alone are more than Young, Lingard, Herrera, Fletcher and Hernandez done the whole game.

• Advertisement

no, all 4 will play in a 4-3-3 diamond

If you say so - must be why they're trying to send him to Lisbon and even agree to keep paying the guys wages.

Think he dived once and ran lots but apart from that still the same Nani

Where is your proof that we are trying to send him to Lisbon and pay his wages.

The fact you are using a twitter report to try back up your point says it all especially when that has got nothing to do with how he played Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

bangkok wrote: »

Course they will. And 7th will be calling again.

beno619 wrote: »
    Yes Ryan Giggs is calling the shots not LVG. :o

This Giggs witch-hunt from some posters is laughable.

Well he obviously has some input – its generally the point in having an assistant – or do you think he’s just there to organise the team bus?:rolleyes:

I just find it strange that Nani didn’t feature at all during pre season, we played 3-5-2 and then 20 minutes into the season he’s the answer to all our problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I couldn't care less if Nani was replaced at this stage but he offered more in his time on the pitch Saturday than a lot of them did the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

MagicIRL wrote: »

If only we could play a 3-5-2-1 :pac:

magnumbud wrote: »
    would say he would play a diamond with herrara and di maria on the sides and mata on the top of it. the lb and rb would likely still be the main width but both herrara and di maria will offer width too

I think you need the front three to be helping out a lot defensively to maintain the defensive width with a diamond. I don't think our first choice front three would be suitable for that. Rooney is the only one with the workrate for it and non of them have the pace.

Where is your proof that we are trying to send him to Lisbon and pay his wages.

The fact you are using a twitter report to try back up your point says it all especially when that has got nothing to do with how he played Saturday.

The man love for Nani is going to be hard to replace when he’s running up and down the pitch in Portugal.

Good riddance

Here's Nani's involvement from Saturday.

lol at saying he did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Rumours that City are looking to offload a few players, including Micah Richards.

Wouldn't mind putting a cheeky bid in.

He's a superb athlete, but not a great footballer............ thanks but no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

what did he do?

You'd have to be seriously blinded by some agenda to not see we improved with Nani on the pitch and playing 4-3-3.

That would be shoehorning something LVG said he wouldn't do, theres absolutely no proof that we will play a diamond but more to suggest it will be orthodox 4-3-3 with Di Maria at wide if we do sign him and least if you read between the line of LVG quotes.
    Well he obviously has some input – its generally the point in having an assistant – or do you think he’s just there to organise the team bus?:rolleyes:

I just find it strange that Nani didn’t feature at all during pre season, we played 3-5-2 and then 20 minutes into the season he’s the answer to all our problems.

And Lingard didnt play at RWB for 20 minutes of pre season, while James played a lot of football at LWB and didnt feature at all, that was probably Giggeys choice as well.

Giggs also called off the Vidal deal and started the spread of Ebola.

The man love for Nani is going to be hard to replace when he’s running up and down the pitch in Portugal.

Good riddance

So i presume you are using a twitter post as your proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Joey Barton says we need Vidal, that should push it over the line.

would be disappointed if we lost nani, would much rather see Valencia or young gone first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

twam2008 wrote: »
    Joey Barton says we need Vidal, that should push it over the line.
    Good oul' Rio feeding him information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Bacchus wrote: »
    It just appears that there is some expectation and ManU will simply "turn things around" and be a force again, when the reality is, not much has changed. and it doesn't appear the owners are willing to cough up the money to make things happen.

Again, this is a very, very lazy opinion and ill-informed opinion.

£120.6 million spent in the last 12 months (Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Shaw)

£166 million spent in the last 24 months - ie: 2 years of transfer windows (Kagawa, Van Persie, Zaha).

For simplicity, that's not including the £5 million add-on in the Kagawa deal, or the £5 million add on in the Zaha deal. I don't have the add on figure for Shaw to hand which is the main reason I decided not to add all of them to the total. You can be sure it's close to £180m all told.

You may not agree with where and how the money was spent, but please tell me, how exactly that constitutes not being "willing to cough up the cash"? How much should they be spending? £400m?

Cheers for that video Nani actually done far more than i thought from watching the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

As far as formation is concerned I can't see VG changing from 3-5-2. It's been his focus for the entire preseason and I can't see him switching to 4-4-2 after one game.

I think he only switched last week due to injuries causing players to be out of position. Full strength I imagine he will stay with 3-5-2.

Right now I'm not really concerned with a CB but feel we need players who can play at RWB and LWB. With Shaw,Valencia, and Rafael injured were really stuck in those positions.

Saying that on Saturday are biggest concern was lack of chances being created in the final third.

So i presume you are using a twitter post as your proof?

The only ones with “proof” are those in administrative positions at OT and the reciprocating clubs but I doubt any of these are posting here – hence it’s a “rumours” thread. :rolleyes:Nani to Lisbon as part of a Rojo transfer seems to be the “rumour” of the day.

I’d be amazed if he is still there (United) on September 1. Just my feeling – I’ve no proof – maybe you could ask him over dinner tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Here's Nani's involvement from Saturday.

lol at saying he did nothing.

He did alot better than a number of players. Rooney's passing was awful at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement