Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think our rivals keep up with the 100s of transfer stories like United fans do.

i never said they did. and stop with the hyperbole nonsense about 100s of signings, you know thats nowhere near true.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    and probably don't give much of a thought to who we aren't signing....

never said that did either. they will probably look at who we are signing as opposed to the type of players we should be signing and not be one bit worried by it.

as far as United are concerned, its a gift that keeps on giving for our rival fans last 12 months unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i never said they did. and stop with the hyperbole nonsense about 100s of signings, you know thats nowhere near true.

never said that did either. they will probably look at who we are signing as opposed to the type of players we should be signing and not be one bit worried by it.

as far as United are concerned, its a gift that keeps on giving for our rival fans last 12 months unfortunately.

Why would you quote what he said if you were going to change his words and make them mean something different? It is pretty transparent.

Who gives a **** what rival fans think of our signings? You think any Pool fan gives a **** that I think Balotelli is a joke signing? That they have wasted money big time this summer? They should not and probably will not have a care in the world about it. Nor should they

The players signed can be mocked or applauded all you like, you wont be able to judge how good a signing they were for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You wrote about signings we're linked to in your post, he replied accordingly...and lol at you nickpicking cas he said 100s. It genuinely feels like 100s at this stage!

Put him on your ignore list if you want him to "stop" posting what he did, or in a fashion you don't like. Thats your consistent reply to people who ask you to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Someone in here yesterday said LVG turned down Kroos & Fabregas :eek:
    In denial. :pac:

It was me. I believe he did and all signs point to him having done that.

I'm not sure if those LVG quotes about not wanting Di Maria are true, personally I doubt they are, but he will have passed on Kroos, Fabregas and Di Maria in one window when all are wanting to move.

Thats bizarre. Can you imagine, we could have had all three in UTD shirts this window.

LVG is truning his nose up at some top top talent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Are the below all fit?

De Gea

--Jones- Smalling - Evans--

Rafael
    Rojo

Herrera -- Fletcher

Mata

RVP
    Rooney--

Kind of like the look of that, would be a lot happier if Fletcher wasn't there. Maybe swap Blackett for him and move Jones beside Herrera?

If Van Gaal is set on Strootman I hope he considers a stop gap. I would be fine with Carrick or Fellaini coming in for Fletcher in that team when fit but worried about what happens without Herrera when he is inevitably unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was me. I believe he did and all signs point to him having done that.

I'm not sure if those LVG quotes about not wanting Di Maria are true, personally I doubt they are, but he will have passed on Kroos, Fabregas and Di Maria in one window when all are wanting to move.

Thats bizarre. Can you imagine, we could have had all three in UTD shirts this window.

LVG is truning his nose up at some top top talent.

First you say you don't think the quotes about LVG not wanting Di Maria are true.
    Then you say we could have had all three in United shirts and he is turning up his nose at talent.
    ffs

Zico wrote: »
    Ed Woodward is probably a nice guy

this is open to discussion.

there was a damning article written about Woodward about 8 months ago (think it was Daniel Taylor) that said he wasnt like at Old Trafford and particularity Gill and Ferguson didnt have much time for him. the story was based around the theory that Woodward thinks he is untouchable and wants (thinks he is) to be the main man at United.

with scholes and Neville both publically slamming him on TV (along with Keane) and doubting his credentials, Woodward doesnt exactly have much support. in fact, i struggle to recall anybody defending and supporting him.

he comes across as a very dislike-able man for multiple reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In a recent poll about what was more likely to happen

96% Kew to marry Kate Upton
    4% United to sign a decent footballer.

RayCun wrote: »
    First you say you don't think the quotes about LVG not wanting Di Maria are true.
    Then you say we could have had all three in United shirts and he is turning up his nose at talent.
    ffs

Christ, you'll pick on any straight forward post to start a row.

I said I doubted them, I wasn't convinced either way and then I spoke hypothetically about the possibility of having all three. We could surely of had two.

LVG has turned his nose of at Kroos and Cesc.

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ed can be a jerk for all I care as long as he does his job properly. Right now, he isn't showing he can do that. He seems excellent at getting new commercial deals but all at sea when it comes to transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You don't get to the top of a company by being a nice guy.

If you record the Wedding night and post the video here I'm sure we'll all gladly wait until the next window to sign players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

My invite in the post ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Epic lols at the papers this morning

"United make late swoop for Madrid duo"

Goes to show exactly the sort of level these guys operate at, basically what we all said yesterday when the Ancelloti made the comments.

Also a GOOD few journalists in Spain have indicated that Khedira is most likely destined for Arsenal, while the only actual approach for Di Maria has been from PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You don't get to the top of a company by being a nice guy.

But you don't necessarily get there by being good for the business either, ironically enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Looks like a full on muppet meltdown is starting. haha.

Personally, I'm just looking forward to watching the game on Sunday. Trying my best to ignore the speculation at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

KH25 wrote: »
    Ed can be a jerk for all I care as long as he does his job properly. Right now, he isn't showing he can do that. He seems excellent at getting new commercial deals but all at sea when it comes to transfers.

he signed mata

he signed shaw ahead of Chelsea

he signed Herrera

he signed rojo

we went for vermalean but arsenal wanted smalling so utd said no

who else did we go for 100% but didn't join? like who did we actually make a bid for apart from fabregas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Speaking of Balotelli actually, did something happen in the last few months at Milan? Other then him not performing? I ask as they apparently offered him to Arsenal and Chelsea also and they turned him down, even at the cut price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »
    Speaking of Balotelli actually, did something happen in the last few months at Milan? Other then him not performing? I ask as they apparently offered him to Arsenal and Chelsea also and they turned him down, even at the cut price

Yes sulking every ****ing minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Well lads. Been away for the last week or so so just wondering what I missed? I know we got Rojo, but anything else happen of note!? ta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The big question is should I make a transfer in FF this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Well Milan want rid of him only 18 months after he signed so.....

Milan are broke. I wouldn't use them cashing in as definitive proof.

TheDoc wrote: »
    t Khedira is most likely destined for Arsenal, while the only actual approach for Di Maria has been from PSG.

regardless of the reasons (CL football and financial), if that happens Woodward is f*cked, he really will not survive this. at this stage, the millitant anti glazers need just one more excuse to start protests inside the stadium.

if we close this window without top quality signings, the green and gold campaign of 2010 will be back and it will be bigger this time unfortunately.

its something we all dont agree with, but unfortunately its whats going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

beno619 wrote: »
    Milan are broke. I wouldn't use them cashing in as definitive proof.

They're not exactly ''cashing in'' though since they're making a loss on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RasTa wrote: »
    The big question is should I make a transfer in FF this week?

I've already wildcarded! Disasterous GW1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

regardless of the reasons (CL football and financial), if that happens Woodward is f*cked, he really will not survive this. at this stage, the millitant anti glazers need just one more excuse to start protests inside the stadium.

if we close this window without top quality signings, the green and gold campaign of 2010 will be back and it will be bigger this time unfortunately.

its something we all dont agree with, but unfortunately its whats going to happen.

I don't understand why the green and gold campaign would be used here? Are the Glazers to blame? To me it seems like the money is there to be spent but for whatever reason (players not wanting to join, woody's not closing, LVG not wanting certain targets*) we are not bringing in targets.

*Most likely a cover for players not choosing us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I've already wildcarded! Disasterous GW1!
    ffs magic...what are ye at....
    just put a new team in from week 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

bangkok wrote: »
    he signed mata

he signed Herrera

he signed rojo

who else did we go for 100% but didn't join? like who did we actually make a bid for apart from fabregas?

Well I think the carry on last summer is ample reason to belief he was all at sea then. The Herrara saga, the Coentrao loan, Fabregas, Ronaldo, Bale - the fact that we spent the summer chasing these and then overpaid for Fellani.

There is a lack of a strategy there not in terms of who they go for per say but how they do it. Telling the world we can sign who we want for whatever money and then leaving it until the season starts before signing a third player putting us on a par with Exeter.

The CFO doesn't always make the best CEO. The board need to act if he fails again this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

bangkok wrote: »
    he signed mata

he signed Herrera

he signed rojo

Chelsea wanted rid of Mata.

I don't recall any real talk of Chelsea properly competing with United for Shaw. If I recall correctly they were against the fee.

It took over a year to sign Herrera.

He signed Rojo, yes, but we've loaned Nani out while still paying all of his wages.

I'm delighted we didn't get Vermaelen :p.

There's still a gaping hole in defence. I believe we are or at least were in for Vidal. Di Maria too. They are dragging on and on with no sign of any actual impetus from United's side. Just put a bid in if the interest is there.

We see our rivals just going in for players and the deal being either concluded or abandoned relatively quickly. United seem to take twice as long.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    ffs magic...what are ye at....
    just put a new team in from week 2

tumblr_mg18nauJbY1r1wdslo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

The problem the club is facing is that we are based in Manchester. Some players don't want to live there.
    We are not in CL next season. This puts off some players.
    We neglected the squad too long and are desperate for players, other clubs know this and are holding us to ransom.
    We have changes managers twice in one year. Different managers want different players.

Four problems to over come.
    Point one is a simple fact that we have to live with.
    Point two will hopefully be resolved soon
    Point three will take two or three years to resolve.
    Point four will also take a year or two to resolve

A good question I was asked today.

Name 2 players in the current utd squad who have increased in value over the last five years excluding Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Glazers rate Woodward very highly -they won't dump him completely.

I reckon he will certainly keep the CEO gig, and maybe recruitment officer (or some fancy named job) will be created with the sole job of negotiating with other clubs throughout the season, putting multiple deals in place (agreed with the manager) to be actioned as appropriate. A lighter version of the DoF model, where this fella wouldn't have control over which players are signed, just responsibility for getting the deals the manager wants done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

RE: Vermaelen - I don't think Wenger wanted him playing in the PL either. Also delighted we didn't get him, injured before his first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Name 2 players in the current utd squad who have increased in value over the last five years excluding Ronaldo

David De Gea
    ?????......

• Advertisement

De Gea, easily.

Could argue Rooney as well, considering he's 2...7 now? Puts him at 22 and he's only gotten better.

EDIT: And I think we sold Buttner for a profit somehow? So does that count? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I would have thought Januzaj and DeGea, but totally get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Gea is better now than he was when he signed, i'd want a fecking fortune for him now.
    Rafael was got on a free and we'd get decent money for him now, imo, so him.
    Evans was subject of a 12million a few years back - would expect more for him than that now.
    Januzaj, but i suppose we can't really can't him in this kind of debate.
    Hernandez would go for more now than we paid for him, but less than we'd have got two seasons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

De Gea, easily.

Could argue Rooney as well, considering he's 2...7 now? Puts him at 22 and he's only gotten better.

EDIT: And I think we sold Buttner for a profit somehow? So does that count? :D

i actually think rooney was better as a young lad.

januzajs value has definitely gone up since he was 13 :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Welbeck, Januzaj, and pretty much any young guy we brought up from their teens will be worth more.

De Gea is the obvious answer, and I'd absolutely die if he was sold for any price.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    RE: Vermaelen - I don't think Wenger wanted him playing in the PL either. Also delighted we didn't get him, injured before his first game.

despite what some people said on here, i dont think many fans actually wanted him - it was a very strange signings to go after.

DDG, Januzaj, Rooney, Rafael (surely worth more than the 2.5M we paid for him) and arguably Hernandez

De Gea is a goalkeeper so the only outfield player who has realistically increased in value in my opinion in the last five years is Adnan Januzaj.

So in conclusion compare that to the top six teams in the Premier League...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    They're not exactly ''cashing in'' though since they're making a loss on him.

Maybe because there broke?

Coat22 wrote: »
    DDG, Januzaj, Rooney, Rafael (surely worth more than the 2.5M we paid for him) and arguably Hernandez

When Chelsea bid for Rooney how much did they offer for him??

despite what some people said on here, i dont think many fans actually wanted him - it was a very strange signings to go after.

Was that the feeling at OT last weekend? That we're seriously better off with Smalling / Evans / Jones and a couple of kids with Young playing at Left back than we would have been with Vermaelen???

If so there's a serious case of sour grapes in Manchester

When Chelsea bid for Rooney how much did they offer for him??

Irrelevant as he wasn't sold. We could offer 20m for Ronaldo, that doesn't mean that's his value.

Irrelevant as he wasn't sold. We could offer 20m for Ronaldo, that doesn't mean that's his value.

I'm sorry but his value has decreased in the last five years so not sure how it's irrelevant what Chelsea bid for him. That's what they valued him at. Lets be honest here.

I'm sorry but his value has decreased in the last five years so not sure how it's irrelevant what Chelsea bid for him. Lets be honest here.

Really don't know about that - he might have been better 5 years ago but the value put on top class English players has rocketed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

KH25 wrote: »
    Chelsea wanted rid of Mata.

I don't recall any real talk of Chelsea properly competing with United for Shaw. If I recall correctly they were against the fee.

It took over a year to sign Herrera.

He signed Rojo, yes, but we've loaned Nani out while still paying all of his wages.

I'm delighted we didn't get Vermaelen :p.

There's still a gaping hole in defence. I believe we are or at least were in for Vidal. Di Maria too. They are dragging on and on with no sign of any actual impetus from United's side. Just put a bid in if the interest is there.

We see our rivals just going in for players and the deal being either concluded or abandoned relatively quickly. United seem to take twice as long.

If its any consolation, Chelsea have been "lop sided" for years.
    We started collecting small technical No10's\wingers instead of proper midfielders.
    We are still are hampered by a 50 million vanity buy that stops us having an effective strikeforce
    You still won the league more recently than Chelsea

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement