Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

If welbeck goes to a decent team where he's played week in week out, he will prove his doubters wrong I believe, similar to what Sturridge has done(A lot of pool fans didn't even want him when he signed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11050696/Danny-Welbeck-told-he-can-leave-Manchester-United-which-could-spark-interest-from-Arsenal-and-Tottenham.html

If this is true then maybe something is in the pipe for a winger of another attackign threat.

Not a Wellbeck fan. Rather Chico but £15M for a 23 year old England striker seems like a bit of a give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I have my CV and Cover Note at ready for Ed`s job if he does not deliver.

Dont make me do it Ed old buddy.

You have my vote, but the daggers will be out if you don't have Mats Hummells by the end of January.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Telegraph saying that Welbeck has been told he can leave.

LVG must be trying to get rid of any player that has pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bit of a weird one, I'd say its bs. Wouldn't mind seeing him go if a replacement was lined up though

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's a tortured indication of nothing in particular. If you want to fret about the quality of the squad there are much clearer ways of doing it.

Hmmm, and why exactly is it a 'tortured indication of nothing in particular'?

It's clear as day what the current level of quality we have in our squad is, when the valuation of most of our players is going down and not up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuts102 wrote: »

Not like it's been a major problem or anything recently...

Nuts102 wrote: »

Stpehen Hunt and my 6 year old have pace but they'd be f*ck all use at Man Utd.

Nani, Wellbeck both underperformers. Move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I reckon the Welbeck thing is bs. Don't see why we would sell him especially when we have other players that deserve to be at the club less than him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Welbeck is not that fast with the ball at his feet. He is normally caught by defenders.

I don't want him sold btw, just saying.

• Advertisement

Coat22 wrote: »
    Stpehen Hunt and my 6 year old have pace but they'd be f*ck all use at Man Utd.

Nani, Wellbeck both underperformers. Move them on.

And that's another problem. Man Utd's fear of letting mediocrity go.

Welbeck would have helped you v Swansea.

If anyone should be sold up top it's Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd guess there is close to zero chance of Welbeck being sold.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Welbeck would have helped you v Swansea.

If anyone should be sold up top it's Hernandez

And I agree with both points.
    At least Welbeck has the ability to inject some pace into our attack.

But be warned though....Hernandez splits opinion in here big time :pac:
    I want him sold unless he accepts the fact that in my opinion he is best as an impact sub which isn't going to happen.

adox wrote: »
    I'd guess there is close to zero chance of Welbeck being sold.

Steve Bruce will spend his Long cash on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

For what it's worth, I've never been convinced of the journo who's reporting the Welbeck stuff, Matt Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looking at the debate here on squad value and all that, how ironic is it to see that our current squad is worth much less than what we pay for it and more to the point, the astounding £181million a year our club pays on wages (including all staff not just players).

and to think Fergie had this obsession with value, when weve got multiple over rated players stealing a living off the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Think Welbeck is very underrated by many. It's not just the work rate and physical presence he gives us, but our build up play looks infinitely better when he's in the side because he's an outlet for attack.

I'd be fairly annoyed if he's sold on.

• Advertisement

looking at the debate here on squad value and all that, how ironic is it to see that our current squad is worth much less than what we pay for it and more to the point, the astounding £181million a year our club pays on wages (including all staff not just players).

and to think Fergie had this obsession with value, when weve got multiple over rated players stealing a living off the club.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ashley Young rendered Fergies argument about no value in the market entirely irrelevant.

Think Welbeck is very underrated by many. It's not just the work rate and physical presence he gives us, but our build up play looks infinitely better when he's in the side because he's an outlet for attack.

He's a centre forward with the above attributes you have stated which are a + but his finishing ability has always being questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hmmm, and why exactly is it a 'tortured indication of nothing in particular'?

It's clear as day what the current level of quality we have in our squad is, when the valuation of most of our players is going down and not up.

Any change in the market value of a player is not a direct indicator of a change in their quality. If a great player is given a new contract with huge wages then his market value will go down even if he is still preforming the same. This is because buying clubs know they will have to pay more wages. Players' market value tends to go down as they get into their late twenties and early thirties, even when they are performing well. That reflects resale value, not what they are contributing on the pitch.

If you were discussing our squad's resale value then deciphering changes in market value of the players would be useful. Using changes in market value to judge the quality we put on the pitch is an extremely poor guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No player in all my years as a United supporter has divided fans like Danny Welbeck, personally I would gladly see the back of him for a ridiculous fee.

would welbeck get into the City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal teams? i dont think he would, as he is not good enough.

decent squad player though and i wouldnt want him sold right now, considering the high volume of players leaving or more to the point, our complete lack of ability in replacing players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Of all our players going I'd rather see him go on loan and play week in and week out then make a decision on selling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

If a bid of £20M+ comes in for Welbeck. Take it. If not, keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A good question I was asked today.

Name 2 players in the current utd squad who have increased in value over the last five years excluding Ronaldo

Welbeck
    Cleverley
    Evans
    Januzaj
    DDG
    Wilson
    Blackett
    Rafael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Coat22 wrote: »
    Steve Bruce will spend his Long cash on him

he's going after Rhodes with that cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Players are not stealing a living if they are trying. They aren't even stealing a living if injured. The club agreed to wages and if they aren't working out I'd blame the scouting network and negotiators. Bogarde would be the only player I'd attribute that to and players who don't look after themselves physically after signing. It's a stupid and lazy insult most of the time, the kinda thing that is unfortunately getting more common there days on here.

• Advertisement

De Gea is a goalkeeper so the only outfield player who has realistically increased in value in my opinion in the last five years is Adnan Januzaj.

So in conclusion compare that to the top six teams in the Premier League...

Just saw this

How has Rafael, Evans, Hernandez etc not increased in value in the last five years....in your opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I don't get why people still take rumors of Real Madrid players moving to United seriously. The don't sell to us. They never have and they never will. Its an unwritten rule at Madrid not to sell even unwanted leftovers to Manunited

De Gea is a goalkeeper so the only outfield player who has realistically increased in value in my opinion in the last five years is Adnan Januzaj.

So in conclusion compare that to the top six teams in the Premier League...

Just saw this

How has Rafael, Welbeck, Evans, Hernandez etc not increased in value in the last five years....in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    Welbeck
    Cleverley
    Evans
    Januzaj
    DDG
    Wilson
    Blackett
    Rafael

Chico
    Rooney

Natalie Sawyer and Hayley Mcqueen just about to do the ice bucket over each other live now on SSN.

id pay the entire pot to pour it over Natalie.

*edit its recorded...doesnt take away from it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

would welbeck get into the City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal teams? i dont think he would, as he is not good enough.

decent squad player though and i wouldnt want him sold right now, considering the high volume of players leaving or more to the point, our complete lack of ability in replacing players.

I think you could do wonders with him.

Btw it's injury prone not injury proned, don't think proned is a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well a comparable player would be someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain or Theo Walcott. May not start all the time but well able to be a rotational player (in Theo's case mostly due to injury).

Think it's daft too to get rid of a homegrown lad that would probably be a happy member of the squad for low fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I for one would be very upset to see Welbeck go. Obviously he is behind Rooney and RVP in terms of quality but he still is a good player in my view. Only 23 still and has raked up the caps for us. Has a lot of experience for a young guy.

If we let Welbeck go now I can't imagine us bringing in a replacement as good before the window closes. I would much rather we held on to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Well a comparable player would be someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain or Theo Walcott. May not start all the time but well able to be a rotational player (in Theo's case mostly due to injury).

Think it's daft too to get rid of a homegrown lad that would probably be a happy member of the squad for low fee.

Theo Walcott is far far better player than Welbeck will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think enough players have left this window already(not neccisarily the ones I wanted). The last few days should be spent concentrating on adding to the squad(not that I'm holding my breath).

I don't expect any more exits this window. Unfortunately I'm not expecting any more additions either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If LVG plans on using 4-3-3 with a lone striker, then I'd rather Welbeck gone and a dedicated winger brought in.

If we're going to be using two strikers up front, then I'd rather Hernandez leave and keep Welbeck as our 3rd striker option.

Can't wait to see the thread later when LVG says in his press conference that United are finished in the transfer market for this summer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

bullvine wrote: »
    No player in all my years as a United supporter has divided fans like Danny Welbeck, personally I would gladly see the back of him for a ridiculous fee.

Ah now, Michael Carrick went underrated by idiots for years and was oft abused by United fans.

Same with Cleverley, Fletcher, Evans and Nani.

United fans are a fickle bunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just can't see the sense in LVG wanting to sell Welbeck.

Welbeck suits ANY formation LVG wants to play far better than Chico - and surely he doesn't want to sell both. I would have thought Welbecks pace, attitude and versatility would be highly regarded by LVG.

An odd one, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ah now, Michael Carrick went underrated by idiots for years and was oft abused by United fans.

Same with Cleverley, Fletcher, Evans and Nani.

United fans are a fickle bunch!

That's just asking for trouble :pac:

Ha to be honest with every sporting team in the world you are going to have divided opinions about players performances. I wouldn't just single out United fans, you could easily replace those names for players from different teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I just can't see the sense in LVG wanting to sell Welbeck.

Welbeck suits ANY formation LVG wants to play far better than Chico - and surely he doesn't want to sell both. I would have thought Welbecks pace, attitude and versatility would be highly regarded by LVG.

An odd one, imo.

Didn't Welbeck hand in a transfer request last season? maybe he still wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didn't Welbeck hand in a transfer request last season? maybe he still wants to leave.

wasn't happy playing wide in a 442 under Moyes - I would assume things are different giving Moyes is no longer here and I would dubt LVG wants him to play 442.

Same time though, Welbeck is only slightly more likely to be first choice now than under Moyes, so maybe he does want to leave for first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd be very disappointed if wellbeck is sold and Anderson, cleverly and Fellani get to stay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

With all this stuff going around about players being told they can leave and no replacements coming in, I'm starting to wonder do utd realise that the window closes in less than 2 weeks! It makes no sense to be telling all theses players they can leave with so little time remaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't get why people still take rumors of Real Madrid players moving to United seriously. The don't sell to us. They never have and they never will. Its an unwritten rule at Madrid not to sell even unwanted leftovers to Manunited

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/how-real-madrid-helped-to-rebuild-manchester-united-after-munich-air-disaster-8492422.html

I think we should remember the history between United and Real Madrid.

They are my Spanish team of choice, they were there when United was in the darkest part of their history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement