Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I like and rate Welbeck however if seeling him meant James Wilson got promoted and would be given minutes this season then I would be all for it (big IF I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I like and rate Welbeck however if seeling him meant James Wilson got promoted and would be given minutes this season then I would be all for it (big IF I know).

I'd sell Chico for that purpose. Wilson is closer in style to Chico than Welbeck imo. More of a traditional striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Let's not forget it's only one paper that is reporting Welbeck can leave anyway, shouldn't take it as fact just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I'd sell Chico for that purpose. Wilson is closer in style to Chico than Welbeck imo. More of a traditional striker.

yeah absolutely I would agree with you, I think tho that Welbeck wants to leave, they were rumours at end of last season that he asked for more and it wasnt changed by Moyes leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wilson should be loaned out to a championship club for the season where he would be guaranteed first team football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Kagawa wrote: »
    With all this stuff going around about players being told they can leave and no replacements coming in, I'm starting to wonder do utd realise that the window closes in less than 2 weeks! It makes no sense to be telling all theses players they can leave with so little time remaining.

with no CL we dont need massive numbers this season, just quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In my mind, the only reason he will be sold is if he asked to. There is no sense in selling him before Hernandez.

Maybe LVG told him he wouldn't play striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Let's not forget it's only one paper that is reporting Welbeck can leave anyway, shouldn't take it as fact just yet.

That is true, I think I heard a lot of the rumours started from teams being interested and him going in to have talks with the club about his position and contract, I wouldnt be too surprised if he signs a contract extension! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Keno wrote: »
    In my mind, the only reason he will be sold is if he asked to. There is no sense in selling him before Hernandez.

There's the possibility both are going as we go after DiMaria and Vidal.

tumblr_inline_mj0bcmgHIP1qz4rgp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe LVG told him he wouldn't play striker.

Agreed - though going a step further I would say it might be becuase he won't be a certain starter.

Welbeck suits the 433/352 formations very well - and he said in the summer playing wide in a 433 is different (and more enjoyable) to playing wide in a 442 (England vs United) so I don't think position is the problem - I have to assume it is the number of starts he is likely to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Natalie Sawyer and Hayley Mcqueen just about to do the ice bucket over each other live now on SSN.

id pay the entire pot to pour it over Natalie.

*edit its recorded...doesnt take away from it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sorry lads this there a United fans boards.ie fantasy league?

I worry that next summer, we're going to have to look at a new striker. RVP and Rooney will be a year older, and I simply don't think Hernandez or Welbeck will ever be our #1 choices. Not sure how Wilson will do long term, but think we could be in a position where we need a 23-24 year old TOP level striker....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Welbeck is surely getting to a stage where he should be playing week in week out up front and scoring goals, he must surely look at someone like Sturridge and see how his star has risen.
    He aint gonna usurp RVP and Rooney any time soon so it would make career sense for him to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Natalie Sawyer and Hayley Mcqueen just about to do the ice bucket over each other live now on SSN.

id pay the entire pot to pour it over Natalie.

*edit its recorded...doesnt take away from it though :)

Oh wow, now that would be a sight to see, link if ye can Homer ;)

Agreed - though going a step further I would say it might be becuase he won't be a certain starter.

Welbeck suits the 433/352 formations very well - and he said in the summer playing wide in a 433 is different (and more enjoyable) to playing wide in a 442 (England vs United) so I don't think position is the problem - I have to assume it is the number of starts he is likely to get.

No Champions League is going to cut down games for the 'fringe' players. Barring injuries, the starters are going to play a lot more league games this year. Welbeck would have been one of those players you'd play on a Sunday when you're playing mid week in Eastern Europe etc.

I hope it doesn't occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bullvine wrote: »
    Theo Walcott is far far better player than Welbeck will ever be.

You say that like Theo Walcott has ever done anything, ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Pro. F wrote: »
    I agree that spacial awareness is very important. But if you are looking down at the ball, or playing your way into tighter spots because you have miscontrolled it, or not making extra room for yourself with good control then you won't be able to look up and use your spacial awareness to pick out a pass.

But if you have good ball control you wont be "looking down at the ball". That's what poor players tnd to do. Your head will be up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You say that like Theo Walcott has ever done anything, ever.

He just, like, runs fast and stuff, no footballing brain at all.

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »

We need to start the 'White Top, No Bra Ice Bucket Challenge'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I don't get why people still take rumors of Real Madrid players moving to United seriously. The don't sell to us. They never have and they never will. Its an unwritten rule at Madrid not to sell even unwanted leftovers to Manunited

Since when? What nonsense.

Will we forget when Madrid gave us a load of players on loan after the crash?

Pretty sure it was Munich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

He just, like, runs fast and stuff, no footballing brain at all.

Walcott is a brilliant player and has improved ten fold over the last 3 years, he does have a footballing brain and is a lethal finisher

He's streets ahead of Wellbeck and for anyone who thinks otherwise please remove the red tinted glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Since when? What nonsense.

Will we forget when Madrid gave us a load of players on loan after the crash?

Pretty sure it was Munich?
    Indeed and they even offered to loan us Di Stefano which we refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

nuxxx wrote: »
    Walcott is a brilliant player and has improved ten fold over the last 3 years, he does have a footballing brain and is a lethal finisher

He's streets ahead of Wellbeck and for anyone who thinks otherwise please remove the red tinted glasses

Would Arsenal glasses not be red tinted too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

We need to start the 'White Top, No Bra Ice Bucket Challenge'

Anna Kendrick did hers in a white dress:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Seems like 3 other papers are reporting it now, darn it.

Daniel Taylor thinks the Welbeck story is true.
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 3m
    Heading to #MUFC press conf in a bit so will ask LVG about Danny Welbeck. But story is true. He can leave (albeit with conditions).

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 2m
    Whether that means he will is another matter. #MUFC don't want to sell to top-six club. Welbeck doesn't want to drop further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Seems like 3 other papers are reporting it now, darn it.

Wont go solely by the papers though, if what the papers wrote was always true I'd be sitting here smiling with Hummels, Vidal, DiMaria, and half the dutch squad wearing United jerseys :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Peist2007 wrote: »
    But if you have good ball control you wont be "looking down at the ball". That's what poor players tnd to do. Your head will be up

The skills of first touch and close control are not binary conditions. Scholes' touch and control was miles better than the vast majority of players even at the biggest clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

brinty wrote: »
    Anna Kendrick did hers in a white dress:eek::p

WHAT.

PM ME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

TheTownie wrote: »

Would have been better if they kissed afterwards :)

Vertigo100 wrote: »

how about before, during and after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Vertigo100 wrote: »

The worst part is you know that after the camera stopped rolling they would have needed to cuddle to warm up.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Any change in the market value of a player is not a direct indicator of a change in their quality. If a great player is given a new contract with huge wages then his market value will go down even if he is still preforming the same. This is because buying clubs know they will have to pay more wages. Players' market value tends to go down as they get into their late twenties and early, even when they are performing well. That reflects resale value, not what they are contributing on the pitch.

If you were discussing our squad's resale value then deciphering changes in market value of the players would be useful. Using changes in market value to judge the quality we put on the pitch is an extremely poor guide.

And that's where we agree to disagree. 75% of our squad are not worth snot because there underperforming on the pitch, taking players wages into account is vague reasoning there are plenty of big clubs willing to take big player wages if they feel the player is good enough to invest in.

Also would like to know your opinion on this;

Have Man Utd collectively as a team being performing to the 'standard' we should expect in the Last 3 Years in your opinion?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    :-)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Would be pretty sickened to see Welbeck leave. Not a bad sub to have but if he's not happy to warm the bench then it's hard to see what else can happen. Had a good record up front last season 6 in 6 or something like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

What time is the press conference today?

Will the press be allowed ask questions about transfers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United squad is far too big. Needs more quality than numbers. 4 strikers is too many. Interested to hear what Van Gaal says today.

Edit: four that need to play regularly considering age etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Portugeese paper Record have linked us with Gaitan again. Wouldn't spend his £36 million buyout clause to get him which is apparently what it would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And that's where we agree to disagree. 75% of our squad are not worth snot because there underperforming on the pitch, taking players wages into account is vague reasoning there are plenty of big clubs willing to take big player wages if they feel the player is good enough to invest in.

Also would like to know your opinion on this;

Have Man Utd collectively as a team being performing to the 'standard' we should expect in the Last 3 Years in your opinion?

The idea of agreeing to disagree is that you don't continue the argument.

Big clubs are willing to pay high wages. The higher the wages they have to pay, the less they have to spend on the initial purchase. Wage negotiations stall transfers all the time.

In the 13/14 season the performance wasn't good enough. Moyes was sacked for it as he should have been.

In the 12/13 season the performance was more than acceptable.

The early exit from Europe was disappointing in 11/12, but shít happens. Finishing a close second in the league is well within reasonable expectations.

Sure there have been things I have wanted changed at different times over the last few years, but the resale value of the players in the squad is at the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

DM-ICE wrote: »
    United squad is far too big. Needs more quality than numbers. 4 strikers is too many. Interested to hear what Van Gaal says today.

Given that RVP will spend half the season injured and Rooney at least 10 games then I would say

Rooney
    RVP
    Chico
    Januzaj
    Wilson

should be enough to manage 50 odd games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

DM-ICE wrote: »

without europe this season we may only need 3 strikers but think most top teams who are gonna play 2 up top need 4.

if the rumours of welbeck are true and (not expecting it) hernandez was required in a deal for vidal then i would imagine and hope another striker was brought in with wilson covering as the 4th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Selling Welbeck would make absolutely no sense. Rooney and RVP will not stay fit for the season. Unless we're bringing someone in I just can't see why we'd do it, unless LVG wants to give the likes of Wilson a shot, but that's hugely risky considering the state of the team overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Coat22 wrote: »
    What time is the press conference today?

3:30PM

319339.png
    Selling Welbeck would make absolutely no sense. Rooney and RVP will not stay fit for the season. Unless we're bringing someone in I just can't see why we'd do it, unless LVG wants to give the likes of Wilson a shot, but that's hugely risky considering the state of the team overall.

Welbeck wont be sold lads

Cadena COPE saying Di Maria has been left out of the squad for tonight Super Cup 2nd leg.

EDIT: May not be totally accurate by COPE.
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 2m
    Real Madrid said earlier that Di Maria is in the 22 for tonight, so Cope may mean not in 11 or a sub. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

In fairness to Welbeck, why would he want to go to a club that were not top 6? He has a league winners medal and has played in the CL, itd be a bit of a climb down for him. Have a feeling though he has requested to leave? Otherwise how could such conditions be imposed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

kstand wrote: »
    In fairness to Welbeck, why would he want to go to a club that were not top 6? He has a league winners medal and has played in the CL, itd be a bit of a climb down for him. Have a feeling though he has requested to leave? Otherwise how could such conditions be imposed?

Off to PSG I reckon.

Maybe Juvi will take him in part exchange for Vidal.

Screw it. Welbeck, Hernandez, Anderson and a pack of crisps, and we take Pogba and Vidal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement