Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Off to PSG I reckon.

We get Di Maria and let them have Wellback? Sounds like a plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Off to PSG I reckon.

I would say it is likely that is where he will end up, but I'd be a little surprised if PSG are that close to doing it right now that he would be removed from the squad tonight - nothing to suggest they have made a move in the last few days and all reports indicate they need to sell one of their bigger name players to free up the cash to buy him.

That said, clubs like PSG tend to move very quickly when they do decide to move, so a deal could be announced with them before the press even get wind of a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So that's both Benita and Di maria left out of squads... wonder were they'll both end up. United is where Di Maria should play, not even as a fan, but for the quality of the league. PSG, despite stupid money, is in a circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

MagicIRL wrote: »
    So that's both Benita and Di maria left out of squads... wonder were they'll both end up. United is where Di Maria should play, not even as a fan, but for the quality of the league. PSG, despite stupid money, is in a circus.

Di Maria would be savage in the PL

Thinking back to the CL Final its actually mad that Madrid are letting him go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Well the bright side of Welbeck and Chico leaving is that Kagawa will finally get regular game time in his preferred spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Unied did sign Di Maria (and I dont think we will) - anyone think LVG could have him pegged as a potential forward, similar to Robben's role at the WC (and a role I think Januzaj) could do well in. Could explain Welbeck leaving, Di Maria would be another option (ahead of Welbeck, maybe) up top if Rooney or RVP are injured.

Montroseee wrote: »
    Well the bright side of Welbeck and Chico leaving is that Kagawa will finally get regular game time in his preferred spot.

:confused:

Kagawa is not a striker or winger, nor are either Chico or Welbz a #10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just saw Moyes doing the ice bucket challenge, was hoping he'd nominated Woodward or VG :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Keno wrote: »
    We need to start the 'White Top, No Bra Ice Bucket Challenge'

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

:confused:

Kagawa is not a striker or winger, nor are either Chico or Welbz a #10?

It's not as simple as saying that. There will be less forwards so he will get more game time and has potential far greater than Chico and Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It's not as simple as saying that. There will be less forwards so he will get more game time and has potential far greater than Chico and Danny.

I love Kagawa but please explain how getting rid of two bench warming strikers will facilitate more game time for a number 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

If Di Maria signs I really hope it means going back to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and hitting teams on the break with pace like United of old:
    De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Evans - Shaw
    Herrera - Carrick
    Di Maria - Mata - Januzaj
    RVP/Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I also don't understand how Chico or Welbz could affect Kagawa's play time..?

If Unied did sign Di Maria (and I dont think we will) - anyone think LVG could have him pegged as a potential forward, similar to Robben's role at the WC (and a role I think Januzaj) could do well in. Could explain Welbeck leaving, Di Maria would be another option (ahead of Welbeck, maybe) up top if Rooney or RVP are injured.

Was going to suggest similar but only one problem there - we need to get Di MAria first.

Maybe Ed has signed him already and he's being unveiled at 3.30 with Khadeira and Ballotelli (just for the craic to spite the scousers)

Pro. F wrote: »
    The idea of agreeing to disagree is that you don't continue the argument.

Big clubs are willing to pay high wages. The higher the wages they have to pay, the less they have to spend on the initial purchase. Wage negotiations stall transfers all the time.

In the 13/14 season the performance wasn't good enough. Moyes was sacked for it as he should have been.

In the 12/13 season the performance was more than acceptable.

The early exit from Europe was disappointing in 11/12, but shít happens. Finishing a close second in the league is well within reasonable expectations.

Sure there have been things I have wanted changed at different times over the last few years, but the resale value of the players in the squad is at the bottom of the list.

Apologies if I'm coming across like I'm continuing the argument, I'm just letting you know my opinion on it and why I don't agree with yours. I shall park it there.

• Advertisement

If Di Maria signs I really hope it means going back to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and hitting teams on the break with pace like United of old:
    De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Evans - Shaw
    Herrera - Carrick
    Di Maria - Mata - Januzaj

RVP/Rooney

That team actually looks capable except replace Jones or Evans with Rojo and hope we get in someone better than a 33 year old Carrick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think so, he would so it well. It's also an option for 4-3-3 reducing need for another defender, provides more protection for defence.

Van Gaal has said he will change the system depending on players available and the opposition.

Getting a player like Di Maria would be a huge upgrade on Nani, Valencia, Young.

I would be amazed if it happens :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Coat22 wrote: »
    That team actually looks capable except replace Jones or Evans with Rojo and hope we get in someone better than a 33 year old Carrick

I feel Evans is our best centre back, with Jones and Smalling on par with each other. Haven't seen enough of Rojo to be honest. The biggest problem with it is dropping one of Van Persie or Rooney, but hopefully that would sort itself out

Di Maria would be savage in the PL

Thinking back to the CL Final its actually mad that Madrid are letting him go

What position does he play again? He would be a great buy for injecting pace on the left wing possibly??

Yes I agree he was class in the Final.

What we really need is a strong CM that can break up play and distribute to the likes of Herrara etc..

And we need to let go of some of the kling-ons that are not good enough.

Natalie Sawyer and Hayley Mcqueen just about to do the ice bucket over each other live now on SSN.

id pay the entire pot to pour it over Natalie.

*edit its recorded...doesnt take away from it though :)

Youtube please god someone :pac:

• Advertisement

The Wellbeck news - maybe, just maybe we need to sell him to raise cash for a Di Maria / Khadeira / Benatia shopping spree???

VG said when he came back from the states that he would sit down and tell certain players their time was going to be "limited" and they could then look at options. Nani was probably one, Wellbeck undoubtedly another (no matter how good you think he is he's not starting ahead of Rooney and RVP), hopefully Cleverly is another.

Get rid of 6 more Louis is it means we free up cash to sign 3 of the quality above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

We're not getting Di Maria though so can forget about that, I really do feel Kheidra there instead of Carrick would be a huge upgrade.

We're not getting Di Maria though so can forget about that, I really do feel Kheidra there instead of Carrick would be a huge upgrade.

Much better chance of signing Di Maria than Khadeira I'd say.

Probably won't get either and watch as Arsenal sign Khadeira for £20M, Di Maria goes on loan to PSG and we splash out £20 on Ron Vlaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Much better chance of signing Di Maria than Khadeira I'd say.

Probably won't get either and watch as Arsenal sign Khadeira for £20M, Di Maria goes on loan to PSG and we splash out £20 on Ron Vlaar

Vlaar for a score isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Vlaar for a score isn't bad.

We'd be getting him for a Song at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Edit nevermind, read post wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Youtube please god someone :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KW0pbRvLZ8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

We have such a poor negotiating position in the market that I think anyone Woodward goes for is going to cost a fortune. If there are any more signings I'd say it'll be one big signing. Signing squad players in our current position would be a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

OctavarIan wrote: »
    We have such a poor negotiating position in the market that I think anyone Woodward goes for is going to cost a fortune. If there are any more signings I'd say it'll be one big signing. Signing squad players in our current position would be a waste of money.

True but in the case of Di Maria we're really the only show in town and therefore in a position of strenght

• Advertisement

Whats that on twitter young pipe - the internet police have it blocked in here

Whats that on twitter young pipe - the internet police have it blocked in here

Poyet tells SSNHQ on Welbeck: "he's a player who myself and other managers are interested in. We need to wait. We haven't made an approach."

Poyet tells SSNHQ on Welbeck: "he's a player who myself and other managers are interested in. We need to wait. We haven't made an approach."

Cheers - hopefully they can get an auction going for him:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Welbeck was sold l hope they accept a hit on the transfer fee now for a buy back clause of chunky sell on percentage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Daily Express reckon Wellbeck, Zaha, & TC23 are all available for loan.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

scary how many players are gone and are "apparently" available for loan yet we have only 3 players in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not a fan of Welbeck at all but we're such a slow team right now, that he should be kept for his pace alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would hate to see Welbeck go. Far better all round player than Chico. Manchester lad as well. If he got an extended run up top I'm sure the goals would start stacking up.
    What I fear is that he will be sold and we will go for Caviani allowing PSG to get Di Maria, and totally f*ck things up

Welbeck as a striker is a good player, maybe even a great player if he played week in, week out. He will never get that at United. By the time RVP and Rooney go I expect Wilson and Keane will have moved in to the first team, as well as some outside signing. As a winger, Welbeck isn't very good because that's not his natural position.

Sunderland under Poyet could be a good move for the lad, but I would wonder how he would fair if Poyet got sacked or resigned all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Cadena COPE saying Di Maria has been left out of the squad for tonight Super Cup 2nd leg.

EDIT: May not be totally accurate by COPE.

nothing really relevant there, he will leave Real and he has burnt his bridges now with Carlo. of course it could mean he has started the leaving process and is not in the squad due to being involved with negotiations,but its hard to say.

whether its to us or PSG is the question though!

Welbeck as a striker is a good player, maybe even a great player if he played week in, week out. He will never get that at United. By the time RVP and Rooney go I expect Wilson and Keane will have moved in to the first team, as well as some outside signing. As a winger, Welbeck isn't very good because that's not his natural position.

Sunderland under Poyet could be a good move for the lad, but I would wonder how he would fair if Poyet got sacked or resigned all of a sudden.

I'd probably only regard great strikers as ones who can score. Welbeck is good, direct, decent at dribbling but by the time he's dribbled his way to the goal his bandy legs get caught up in each other and the balls gone wide.

Id say get rid

nothing really relevent there, he will leave Real and he has burnt his bridges now with Carlo.

whether its to us or PSG is the question though.

Carlo specifically said he'd have one team for the first leg, and make quite a few changes for the second.

Non story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't want Welbeck to leave but wouldn't begrudge him a move to where he plays week in week out as a striker.
    He could easily do what Sturridge has done at Liverpool.

Get a buy back clause if we sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Unless there someone coming in to replace him I'd rather keep Welbeck. Think he's a very good squad player to have and someone that can come on to change things up add a bit of life!

I'd have him over hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

press conference is on now and he asked about the scholes comments i think - LVG admits that the fans are scared after last year and the performance last week but asks for Scholes and the fans to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone have any ideas to make the Ice Bucket Challenge interesting? My time has come :(

I'd probably only regard great strikers as ones who can score. Welbeck is good, direct, decent at dribbling but by the time he's dribbled his way to the goal his bandy legs get caught up in each other and the balls gone wide.

Id say get rid

You say that, but when he played up top he scored goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone have any ideas to make the Ice Bucket Challenge interesting? My time has come :(

Ha. Me too.

Clock is ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Letting Welbeck go would be a huge mistake imo. I know a lot of posters on here rate him but I think he's vastly underrated overall.

He's quick, strong, has excellent control and is quite an intelligent player. In Munich he was one of the few players confident and comfortable enough on the ball to receive it in tight area and not panic.

At 23 I feel his finishing will only improve. The fact he is a Manchester lad is hugely important also to help the club keep some kind of identity and connection to those in the stands.

I'm not sure if RVP and Rooney are a great partnership up front and if LvG insists on sticking with 2 front line strikers, I would love Welbeck to get a prolonged run beside one of them.

If given this chance I'd expect Welbeck to prove a lot of posters on here wrong to judge him not United standard (laughable in my opinion).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement