Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

sundays team could be as poor as last weeks, apart from RVP coming into it.

Evans and Rafa too

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Evans and Valencia too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

De Gea
    --Jones
    Smalling
    Evans----
    -Rafael
    Young---

Mata

Welbeck----RVP
    Hernandez---Rooney--

Midfield is over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads i'm not turning on LvG, he's fail to impress me thus far and i'll admit i expected a bit more TBh but look i'll give him his chance

The disappoinitng thing as far as i'm concerned is that we could all see that the sqaud needed reinforcements and its not been done as of yet. The whole idea of i need to asses my players and squad is silly. Giggs has been caretaker/assistant for almost 4 months and should've been telling LVG all of this information and saying this is what we need and we need it now. Any manager always relies on his assistants opinions and LvG is not getting it from Giggs et al.

He also hasn't cleared deadwood out in a very bloated squad. TBf he has 10 days before the window shuts so obviously lots could happen but it needs to be happening at a faster rate than it is.

On Scholes yes he has a right to his opinion and lets not forget he toiled with some of these players and has a loyalty to them but also trained with them last season and knows their limitations, so his saying we needed Kroos Fabregas are valid points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »
    Lads i'm not turning on LvG, he's fail to impress me thus far and i'll admit i expected a bit more TBh but look i'll give him his chance

The disappoinitng thing as far as i'm concerned is that we could all see that the sqaud needed reinforcements and its not been done as of yet. The whole idea of i need to asses my players and squad is silly. Giggs has been caretaker/assistant for almost 4 months and should've been telling LVG all of this information and saying this is what we need and we need it now. Any manager always relies on his assistants opinions and LvG is not getting it from Giggs et al.

He also hasn't cleared deadwood out in a very bloated squad. TBf he has 10 days before the window shuts so obviously lots could happen but it needs to be happening at a faster rate than it is.

On Scholes yes he has a right to his opinion and lets not forget he toiled with some of these players and has a loyalty to them but also trained with them last season and knows their limitations, so his saying we needed Kroos Fabregas are valid points.

don't know what to say about this post tbh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jones and Kags in midfield hopefully, with Blackett, Smalling and Evans at the back. No doubt Fletcher will play though so don't know why I'm even bothering.

It'll be interesting to see what he does, impossible not to be pi$$ed off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    don't know what to say about this post tbh!!

yea its a work of fantasy kid ;) are ye familiar with fiction ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

https://twitter.com/Betfair/status/502838193398743040

herrera out for up to 6 weeks ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is it confirmed that Welbeck Rafael, Evans and Valencia are all available for selection? Rafael was available last week, but wasnt picked. same with RVP.

i expected us to struggle but still win last weekened. i expect an even bigger struggle, but at least Sunderland wont put 10 men behind the ball which will suit us more.

im hoping our good away form from last year will see us scrape a win, but if we drop points it wont come as any shock.

the options we have going for sundays game, really is depressing. hopefully Wilson gets a go from the start alongside RVP, with Rooney in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

In that case I suppose you could also apply the same to a person on an internet forum who might be calling our CE incompetent and questioning our Manager. I think these 2 might just know about more about football and running a club and maybe the person on the forum is wrong?

The CE is incompetent, that's a self fullfilling allegation once people on the internet are saying it.

A competent CE wouldn't allow himself to become a laughing stock. If the club was controlled by ordinary shareholders he'd be long gone by now.

Internet 1
    Club Hierarchy 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Tippex wrote: »

****tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think a lot of people are going to be showing up with their boots on sunday..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Robson99 wrote: »
    Saying hes beginning to talk sh*te doesn't mean I'm turning against him. Doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan or as an op put it ' so called fan'. And whats the difference Pro. F with me questioning his comments and you questioning Scholes comments.??. All bow down in front of you is it???.

Also saying what he discussed with welbeck was a private matter is b*blocks. It will be known at the end of the transfer window. Does he stay or go??

The difference would be that everybody knows that LvG talks a lot of shíte, he has always been famous for it, whereas Scholes' shíte talk is being lapped up without question in here because of the player he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Zico wrote: »
    The CE is incompetent, that's a self fullfilling allegation once people on the internet are saying it.

A competent CE wouldn't allow himself to become a laughing stock. If the club was controlled by ordinary shareholders he'd be long gone by now.

Internet 1
    Club Hierarchy 0

This is one of my favourite posts in a good while, wpwp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Phil Jones could do a decent job in the defensive midfield 2 of a 3-5-2.

Oh god, Homer is going to hit me, isn't he?

8 injuries (I don't count Anderson) this early in the season is rough. The new physio is having a hard time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Well, my positivity eaten away again. The team we are forced to play this weekend is simply depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's ok, Ando was training with the first team this week, he should be ready for action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's ok, Ando was training with the first team this week, he should be ready for action.

Cleverley and Anderson midfield. Sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I thought things were going to be easier this season now that the demands of European football are not stretching our squad.

FFS, one game in and 8 players missing already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    [Negativity] Rojo doesn't have a work permit yet and apparently Herrera is injured.

CantHearYou.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone think it would be a good idea to send Woodward a PS Vita and Football Manager 2014, might give him some ideas in the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pro. F wrote: »
    The difference would be that everybody knows that LvG talks a lot of shíte, he has always been famous for it, whereas Scholes' shíte talk is being lapped up without question in here because of the player he was.

I know he is famous for it but I think its near time for solutions and not excuses. The funny thing is if Moyes was still in charge and we were in this situation how many of those suggesting to have faith and not be critical or not panic would be of the same opinion????.
    He could have simply answered the question in relation to welbeck. In his plans or not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

De Gea
    --Jones
    Smalling
    Evans----
    -Rafael
    Young---

Mata

Welbeck----RVP
    Hernandez---Rooney--

Midfield is over-rated.

Ossie Ardiles would like this :D

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Phil Jones could do a decent job in the defensive midfield 2 of a 3-5-2.

Oh god, Homer is going to hit me, isn't he?

It's the people who think he's only ****e because he's played out of position who'll be upset with that. :)

DM-ICE wrote: »

It'll be just like the old days! (when they were really good for those 5 or 6 games)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

De Gea
    --Smalling--Evans--Jones----
    Rafael
    Young
    Fletcher--Cleverley----
    Mata

*RVP
    Rooney---

That's what I'm expecting to see this weekend. Could be completely wrong but just my view. Don't know what I make of it!

*Depending on RVP fitness Welbeck might be given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

At this rate, even if we signed Vidal and Di Maria they'll probably slip coming out of the bath after their first training session and be out for weeks.

If our situation wasn't so bad it'd almost be funny.

• Advertisement

Herrera just out for two weeks according to ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Herrera just out for two weeks according to ESPN.

That won't be too bad if true.

Who is fit and available in CM this weekend? This is a disaster, are the players training on a mine-field or something? CM just has to be addressed once more in this window, if anything maybe the injuries will push towards another signing.

It'd be ideal to see a similar report about Kheidera, but the latest from Marca on DiMaria is translated here...
    Angel di Maria’s days at Real Madrid are numbered. The Argentine has been ruled out of the second-leg of tonight’s Super Cup against Atlético Madrid in the Vicente Calderón Stadium. The fans spoke their minds with rapturous applause for di Maria this week but the fate of the player points towards the Premier League, with giants Manchester United having laid down a €70 million bid. (£56 million). Real Madrid’s manager Carlo Ancelotti confirmed di Maria’s wish to leave at a press conference this week and it looks as if he’s bound for Manchester United, having joined Real Madrid in the 10-11 season.
    Nothing really new there apart from Marca's claim of a €70m bid from United, which would be staggering and would surely get the job done if true.

Given the choice, I would spend that money on both another CM and CB, but if the club are going to sign Di Maria anyway then so be it. He would be a world class addition to the squad and add that much needed pace and creativity to our wide attacks instantly.

Any other year, i.e. one where United have C.L. football, and I think it would be a simpler move to make. Di Maria is after winning the C.L. and was a losing finalist of the W.C., to now come to Manchester with nothing but a season of domestic trips up and down England might seem like a bit of an anti-climax for such a player. Does he actually want to find out if he can in fact do it in Stoke on a wet Monday night? Hopefully the money which would be involved in such a move would be some comfort to him, and the instant love from the fans at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Have to say I'm getting very concerned with VG training intensity. You would have to imagine he's pushing the players maybe a bit too far in training considering how many little knocks we are picking up compared to other teams. Might help the fitness in the long haul but at the moment it's hampering our start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Now with Herrera injured, if Utd don't sign at least 2 top class players (midfielders) it's basically means giving up on a champions league spot now, and accepting years in the wilderness. Can't see it going any other way IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's beyond a joke at this stage. Injury problems happen far too regularly at United for it to be considered bad luck anymore. Every week it seems a minimum of 5 or 6 players are out.

It's not a Van Gaal thing. It happened with Moyes and Fergie too. The medical/fitness teams there must be useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thank god we didn't rush into buying another CM at some point before the season started, eh lads? Best to give Carrick his 10 weeks to get fit.

Fooking joke shop of a club. Another season outside the CL beckons, and all the worst case scenarios that entails. Pathetic from united, yet again.

€30m De Jong and Schneiderlin. What's Woodies phone number again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

twam2008 wrote: »
    €30m De Jong and Schneiderlin. What's Woodies phone number again?
    020 7484 1201

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/social/rumour-man-united-fans-are-calling-up-ed-woodwards-office-demanding-di-maria/

Robson99 wrote: »
    I know he is famous for it but I think its near time for solutions and not excuses. The funny thing is if Moyes was still in charge and we were in this situation how many of those suggesting to have faith and not be critical or not panic would be of the same opinion????.
    He could have simply answered the question in relation to welbeck. In his plans or not

If Moyes was still in charge then he would have a full season of awful football and results behind him. LvG has had one competitive game in charge. I don't know about other posters, but I was certainly more patient with Moyes than you are being with LvG.

You know that LvG has a habit of saying weird shít. If you are going to be getting on his back after everything that he says that you find weird or incorrect then you are going to be doing that every weak and that is certainly not supporting the manager. Foolish choice to make.

It's hard to believe we're only heading into the second game of the season. Don't usually get this kind of tension until April. I'm going to have to start watching my colesterol.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »

No but I bet his missus is......

Seriously though, ridiculous post. LVG is the manager, not Giggs. While I'm sure he listens to Giggs, he's not going to start hiring and firing based on what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's beyond a joke at this stage. Injury problems happen far too regularly at United for it to be considered bad luck anymore.

Every week it seems a minimum of 5 or 6 players are out.

It's mainly down to the players we have IMO, a good few seem to unfortunately made of glass.

The thing that bothers me is that there are so many CM's across the various leagues in Europe that would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade on Carrick, Clev and Fletcher and very attainable yet we will never be in for them. At the moment it seems to be either a marquee signing there or nothing. I watch the Bundesliga quite a lot as I lived in Germany for a few years and its crazy the amount of midfielders that are better than our lot, leaving aside Bayern/Dortmund there are decent players at the likes of Schalke, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Lets see how we get on on Sunday and take it from there. One game at a time. Remember Villa lashed us out of it in 95 and a certain ex-Liverpool player told us we would win nothing.

I would love to see United put fate in some younger players in key positions. Its what we do after all., the issue is the current batch do not seem ready. They are all technically decent players and powerful runners but put them in against seasoned mid-table premier league players and they will struggle. Lets hope Van Gaal (an the fans) give the new younger guys a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Cleverley and fletcher in midfield this weekend. I really thought at the end of last season that the days of seeing those two were over. How can the club actually end up in this position. And it seems no natural full back is able to play in the game.
    If this happened at burnley, you'd have to view it as bad management. But for one the biggest clubs in the world!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DM-ICE wrote: »

Remember what they did to Arsenal that one time? /naive optimism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Fletcher and cleverley in midfield on sunday makes me sad thinking that them two are the best we have at the minute makes it even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

kryogen wrote: »
    Didn't take very long at all in fairness for some "fans" to start to turn on the manager. Its kinda funny in a way I guess

There is nothing wrong with criticising LVG. It doesn't mean you have turned on him. You can like somethings he has done and not others. If he makes mistakes they are open for discussion like every other manager in the game.

He has made many poor calls in his first window. If it were Moyes doing the same stuff there would be murder
    Pro. F wrote: »
    LVG has talked shíte his entire managerial career. He is famous for it. If you accept him as manager then you have to accept that he will say and do many ridiculous things.

Everybody needs to show some faith in him and shut the fúck up with all the criticisms.

This is a bizarre way to think. Why should he not have criticisms if he is making mistakes that will make this season harder for us? Its exactly this type of, if you say one thing against him you are labbelled Anti LVG, mentality that annoys me.

I have complete faith in him as a good manager with tactical know how who will improve us. The problem is he is improving a squad that finish 7th and UTD expect at a minimum top four. I'm not saying he wont do that but he is going a funny way about it

I said weeks ago he is acting poorly in this window. Taking time to assess the sqaud is fine but consider the following

• We have waekened massively in defense and are left with three CBs with first team experience and LVG deploys a system that requires 3 CBs. Let pretend he has never watched or seen UTD before and gets to Carrington and looks at the list of players he would have known very early that we need CBs right away.
    • Joins UTD late after the WC, not his fault, and takes three weeks to assess before bidding for Vermalen.
    • He ends our interest in Kroos and Fabregas. These are world calss players in an area we need.
    • Says a palyer can be gotten in 24hr's. Today says fans mentaility is to sign but transfers are difficult.
    The team had basic needs that could have been seen and addressed by researching UTD last season that imo didn't need 3 weeks of assessing.

I have no problem with LVG doing it his way and think he will lead us to a good place but it looks like it will be seasons rather than a season when if he acted differently this window it could have been the later. That is unless we have a blinding 11 days in the remainder of this window.

Us fans having to readjust our expectation is fine also. Ifs its 3 months to settle in and seaons required to get us there than so be it but we could have been in a much better place to mount a serious challenge for the top with the players that were available this window. It might still happen but LVG is going a funny way about it. I hope he is right.

I was more patient than others and was willing to give Moyes more time but understood completely those who were not. I think LVG is great and better than Moyes as a manager but certainly not instilling confidence in his first transfer window and there is nothing wrong with saying so.

There is nothing wrong with criticising his market activity and questioning his decisions in this area. Quite simply our first 11 could be in a hell of a lot better shape than it is right now. It doesn't mean I have turned on him. As was the case with Moyes his mistakes and good points are open for criticisisim from day one and like anyone else he will get some things right and some things wrong. There have been a lot of wrongs so far imo. Of course we don't what the future holds but you have a right to call things as they stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I hope the club realise that LVG alone will not be enough to sort this out. Failure to buy players (in positions we need them) in this transfer window will be a disaster and could probably lead to us lagging behind the top 4 again. 2 seasons out of the Champs League and we're talking about the start of a real decline.

It will be looked back on in a number of years just how poorly United's appointments were in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson and Gill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im convinced that LVG isnt to blame for the debacle that this transfer window is. I suppose the blame lay squarely on Woodwards feet. It doesnt help that he's big speech about spending power.

Headshot wrote: »
    Im convinced that LVG isnt to blame for the debacle that this transfer window is. I suppose the blame lay squarely on Woodwards feet. It doesnt help that he's big speech about spending power.

Why is he still in a job?

Seems like he hasn't a clue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement