Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why is he still in a job?

Seems like he hasn't a clue

I suppose he's a Glazer man or its just a matter of time now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There is nothing wrong with criticising LVG. It doesn't mean you have turned on him. You can like somethings he has done and not others. If he makes mistakes they are open for discussion like every other manager in the game.

He has made many poor calls in his first window. If it were Moyes doing the same stuff there would be murder

This is a bizarre way to think. Why should he not have criticisms if he is making mistakes that will make this season harder for us? Its exactly this type of, if you say one thing against him you are labbelled Anti LVG, mentality that annoys me.

I have complete faith in him as a good manager with tactical know how who will improve us. The problem is he is improving a squad that finish 7th and UTD expect at a minimum top four. I'm not saying he wont do that but he is going a funny way about it

I said weeks ago he is acting poorly in this window. Taking time to assess the sqaud is fine but consider the following

• We have waekened massively in defense and are left with three CBs with first team experience and LVG deploys a system that requires 3 CBs. Let pretend he has never watched or seen UTD before and gets to Carrington and looks at the list of players he would have known very early that we need CBs right away.
    • Joins UTD late after the WC, not his fault, and takes three weeks to assess before bidding for Vermalen.
    • He ends our interest in Kroos and Fabregas. These are world calss players in an area we need.
    • Says a palyer can be gotten in 24hr's. Today says fans mentaility is to sign but transfers are difficult.
    The team had basic needs that could have been seen and addressed by researching UTD last season that imo didn't need 3 weeks of assessing.

I have no problem with LVG doing it his way and think he will lead us to a good place but it looks like it will be seasons rather than a season when if he acted differently this window it could have been the later. That is unless we have a blinding 11 days in the remainder of this window.

Us fans having to readjust our expectation is fine also. Ifs its 3 months to settle in and seaons required to get us there than so be it but we could have been in a much better place to mount a serious challenge for the top with the players that were available this window. It might still happen but LVG is going a funny way about it. I hope he is right.

I was more patient than others and was willing to give Moyes more time but understood completely those who were not. I think LVG is great and better than Moyes as a manager but certainly not instilling confidence in his first transfer window and there is nothing wrong with saying so.

There is nothing wrong with criticising his market activity and questioning his decisions in this area. Quite simply our first 11 could be in a hell of a lot better shape than it is right now. It doesn't mean I have turned on him. As was the case with Moyes his mistakes and good points are open for criticisisim from day one and like anyone else he will get some things right and some things wrong. There have been a lot of wrongs so far imo. Of course we don't what the future holds but you have a right to call things as they stand.

I too think he has gone about the project in a strange way and that his first transfer window hasn't been great. That doesn't change the fact that we need to show some faith in him. The people who are doubting his ability to get us into the top four at this point are not doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Why is he still in a job?

Seems like he hasn't a clue

If you're wondering why Woodward still has a job then I suspect it's you who hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Headshot wrote: »
    Im convinced that LVG isnt to blame for the debacle that this transfer window is. I suppose the blame lay squarely on Woodwards feet. It doesnt help that he's big speech about spending power.

It has to be woodward or glazers at this stage thats two summers in a row that it hasnt been good even with the 3 signings hes made

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I hope the club realise that LVG alone will not be enough to sort this out. Failure to buy players (in positions we need them) in this transfer window will be a disaster and could probably lead to us lagging behind the top 4 again. 2 seasons out of the Champs League and we're talking about the start of a real decline.

It will be looked back on in a number of years just how poorly United's appointments were in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson and Gill.

Van Gaal is not a poor appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I said at the time that David Gill would turn out to be a bigger loss than Fergie and I still stand over that.

Woodward hasn't a clue when it comes to players and transfers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

sky88 wrote: »
    It has to be woodward or glazers at this stage thats two summers in a row that it hasnt been good even with the 3 signings hes made

I wonder what else this summer and last summer had in common... :confused:

I suppose he's a Glazer man or its just a matter of time now

Probably has this window to get it right or get the boot
    IrishIrish wrote: »
    If you're wondering why Woodward still has a job then I suspect it's you who hasn't got a clue.

:confused:

It's a legitimate question. You think he has delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Probably has this window to get it right or get the boot

Unfortunately, he's done too much commercially to get the bullet I suspect. Only chance is if LVG goes above his head and straight to the Glazers after the window with his dissatisfaction. Which is unlikely to happen either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Pro. F wrote: »
    Van Gaal is not a poor appointment.

Didnt say he was. I think he is a very good appointment.

My post referred to the hiring of Moyes and Woodward. In the immediate aftermath.

It's a legitimate question. You think he has delivered?

There's no thinking about it. Look at the financial statements, there's undeniable proof he HAS delivered and so far is continuing to do so. As far as transfers are concerned, he has been in charge around 12 months now and bought Feilani, Mata, Rojo, Shaw and Herrera. Find me more than possibly 1 or 2 other CEO's in world football that have done that in their first year. People complain about Feilani but its not like he scouted the player and choose to purchase him, the manager wanted him and the CEO got him.

There hasn't even been a single rumour (as far as i'm aware) that LVG has wanted a certain player and Woodward hasn't got him. I'm actually surprised the media haven't even made up any rumours. Maybe I have just missed them. The Kroos and Cesc stories were said to be LVG pulling out of the deal. Nothing to do with Woodward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Nigel de Jongs contract is up next summer. Its a no brainer. Offer about 10-15mill and Utd would get him.
    29 years old so another frw years left in him. LVG knows him well...

What the hell is happening at the club?
    Is anyone else lined up ready to sign or wtf !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There's no thinking about it. Look at the financial statements, there's undeniable proof he HAS delivered and so far is continuing to do so. As far as transfers are concerned, he has been in charge around 12 months now and bought Feilani, Mata, Rojo, Shaw and Herrera. Find me more than possibly 1 or 2 other CEO's in world football that have done that in their first year. People complain about Feilani but its not like he scouted the player and choose to purchase him, the manager wanted him and the CEO got him.

Indeed. And managed to pay 5 million more than his release clause. Quality. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I can only think that due to World Cup he didn't have enough time to get things sorted. He knew the first year would be a write off and didn't want to rush into any snap decisions. Our transfer policy is a mess. I can only hope that VG will have an input into sorting this out for next season. He is a proven manager with an incredible track record, I wouldn't doubt him in the slightest, those above him is a different story. He has a big job on his hands. The thing that annoys me most though, is we had a favourable run of games to start the season, it was a perfect opportunity to start well, do some business January, and hopefully be in a position to push for fourth, but that said I am interested to see how he handles things as they stand, will be an amazing test for him and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't for one second believe the nonsense that LVG didn't target anyone til well after we got back from America because he was assessing the squad. He isn't a moron. Woodward himself said we were working on targets weeks BEFORE the tour, targets that he'd been discussing for weeks with LVG. if there was assessment going on it was to see who would be of no use at all to him, not to see who needed to be bought. A CM and a couple of defenders were obvious requirements and thinking it took LVG 4 weeks to cop on to that does him a disservice IMO.

We haven't bought his targets, IMO, it isn't that he didn't target anyone.

People love thinking everything he says is 100% the truth, he will lie to protect the side and hide what he is doing! until such time as it no longer benefits him to do so. Like every other manager on the planet.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Indeed. And managed to pay 5 million more than his release clause. Quality. :p

Even if it was a simple as that, and its not, but not going to bother getting in to it, so what?

Even if the CEO paid 10 million more than the buy out...so what? The CEO is responsible for running the club and dictates the finances. The manager wanted a player and the CEO got him that player. People are criticizing Woodward for not being able to get players, no one is going to complain if Woodward spends 50m on Vidal instead of 40m, or 60m on Di Maria instead of 50m.

There hasn't even been a single rumour (as far as i'm aware) that LVG has wanted a certain player and Woodward hasn't got him. I'm actually surprised the media haven't even made up any rumours. Maybe I have just missed them. The Kroos and Cesc stories were said to be LVG pulling out of the deal. Nothing to do with Woodward.

As the poster before you mentioned he has delivered on the commercial deals. That's only a part of his job though.

Utd were a shambles last summer in the market and reverted to a panic buy of a player that wasn't needed. Mata wasn't exactly needed either.

Utd need a top class CM and another CB. With the financial muscle the club has why is this such a problem?
    The Kroos and Cesc stories were said to be LVG pulling out of the deal. Nothing to do with Woodward

Who said it? The same media you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I too think he has gone about the project in a strange way and that his first transfer window hasn't been great. That doesn't change the fact that we need to show some faith in him. The people who are doubting his ability to get us into the top four at this point are not doing that.

Good because I don't think anyone can deny he is acting strangely. Its almost a defiant, I will do it my way and not bow to pressure and sign who you expect, obviously this is me worrying and unlikely but my problem was you saying ppl should shut the f*ck up crticising him, No they shouldn't.

You say we should show some faith for top four. Ok but I think with the players that were available, players Moyes wanted, that we could have a sqaud fighting for the no.1 spot. Would you agree?

Also remember this, Cesc and Kross are not going to be available to get for many years now if ever. Yes there are other players but we should be aiming for the top players and thats two of the best gone possibly forever.

LVG hasn't shown interest in Vidal as yet and if those stories of him not wanting Di Maria because of Januzaj are true then thats another two strange decisions.

He is making life hard for himself and us. Lets hope he knows exactly what he is doing because after Swansea I though he would have sprung into action.

As the poster before you mentioned he has delivered on the commercial deals. That's only a part of his job though.

Utd were a shambles last summer in the market and reverted to a panic buy of a player that wasn't needed. Mata wasn't exactly needed either.

I still wonder how people call Feilaini a panic buy when everyone knew all summer long that united were trying to buy Baines and him. If Vidal signs on deadline day for united does he become a panic buy? I would put the 'shambles' down to the manager last season, and the same thing this summer but I don't blame them for that either. I think it is blindingly obvious that a manager would come in and assess the squad (exactly like both managers said). Reading this thread amazes me with the lack of common sense people have or else people have no idea how business or managers (in any industry) operate.
    Utd need a top class CM and another CB. With the financial muscle the club has why is this such a problem?

Should Woodward just take it upon himself to go out and buy the club a CM and a CB?

Who said it? The same media you mention

Don't know what you mean by this. I didn't say I believe the Kroos and Cesc stories but there is nothing at all that gives any indication Woodward is to blame for these players not being at United.

Do people think if we had the best CEO in the world (dunno how you would even judge) that Kroos and Cesc would be playing at united this season? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Good because I don't think anyone can deny he is acting strangely. Its almost a defiant, I will do it my way and not bow to pressure and sign who you expect, obviously this is me worrying and unlikely but my problem was you saying ppl should shut the f*ck up crticising him, No they shouldn't.

You say we should show some faith for top four. Ok but I think with the players that were available, players Moyes wanted, that we could have a sqaud fighting for the no.1 spot. Would you agree?

Also remember this, Cesc and Kross are not going to be available to get for many years now if ever. Yes there are other players but we should be aiming for the top players and thats two of the best gone possibly forever.

LVG hasn't shown interest in Vidal as yet and if those stories of him not wanting Di Maria because of Januzaj are tru then thats another two strange decisions.

He is making life hard for himself and us. Lets hope he knows exactly what he is doing because after Swansea I though he would have sprung into action.

Do you honestly think that he hasn't asked for players? I'd say he just didn't know how inept the people responsible for getting them are, let's say he did turn down Fabregas and Kroos, do you think he didn't have anyone in mind? He obviously isn't going to come out this early and say that. I have no doubt that this will all unfold over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Im convinced that LVG isnt to blame for the debacle that this transfer window is. I suppose the blame lay squarely on Woodwards feet. It doesnt help that he's big speech about spending power.

What evidence from this window have you got to support your belief? For me its down to LVG not Woodward.

If we bid on a player and failed you would have heard about it in the press like last summer.

Woodward will only bid on players LVG instructed him to. Do you think he is going to pop his head into LVGs office and say "hey Louis, you'll never guess who I just signed, I didnt bother to check with you first because i like this player so much"

Players Woodward bid for last summer are or were easier to get this summer, yet no bid. Because LVG hasnt shown interest.

I beleive Woodward would love to spend a load of cash just like he said on top players and be a fan hero but he cant make a move without LVGs nod and right now it looks like LVG is letting very good players slip away.

I still wonder how people call Feilaini a panic buy when everyone knew all summer long that united were trying to buy Baines and him. If Vidal signs on deadline day for united does he become a panic buy?

Should Woodward just take it upon himself to go out and buy the club a CM and a CB?

Don't know what you mean by this. I didn't say I believe the Kroos and Cesc stories but there is nothing at all that gives any indication Woodward is to blame for these players not being at United.

Do people think if we had the best CEO in the world (dunno how you would even judge) that Kroos and Cesc would be playing at united this season? :confused:

Overpaid then for a player that wasn't exactly needed.

He is the guy that has big responsability in bringing players in though? Obviously in conjunction with the manager.

Re your last question, who knows what the ins and outs of those transfers were. Fabregas would have been a brilliant fit for Utd, he should have been nailed down if the player wanted it. As for kroos, I'm not sure how realistic he was tbh.

One thing has pissed me off about LVG's press conference - and believe me I'm still in the cautiously optimistic side of things - is he says today :

"its not so easy to buy and sell in the transfer market"

Whilst last week or before that he maintained buying players is no problem, "we can buy a player in 24 hours, no problem".

Which is it? Or is it a shot at Woodward to say pull the finger out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

One thing has pissed me off about LVG's press conference - and believe me I'm still in the cautiously optimistic side of things - is he says today :

"its not so easy to buy and sell in the transfer market"

Whilst last week or before that he maintained buying players is no problem, "we can buy a player in 24 hours, no problem".

Which is it? Or is it a shot at Woodward to say pull the finger out?

i believe he is having a dig at the glazers and woodward, I doubt he would have forgotten about the 24 hr comment

My statement was aimed at the people who are starting down the road of freaking out and criticising pretty much every decision he makes and thing he says. I think if those people really want to give him a chance of succeeding then they need to shut the fúck up with the criticisms.

LVG hasn't shown interest in Vidal as yet and if those stories of him not wanting Di Maria because of Januzaj are true then thats another two strange decisions.

I have no idea what players Moyes wanted and I don't care.

I have no idea what players LvG did not want and I'm willing to trust that he has made the right decisions.

I have no idea whether LvG has shown any interest in Vidal privately, either within his own head, within the club or between the two clubs. I'm willing to trust that he has made the right decisions and I don't care about any lack of publicly visible interest.

I am willing to trust that LvG is doing a first class job of turning the team around and heading back towards success as quickly as possible while also laying solid foundations for medium and long term success.

twam2008 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that he hasn't asked for players? I'd say he just didn't know how inept the people responsible for getting them are, let's say he did turn down Fabregas and Kroos, do you think he didn't have anyone in mind? He obviously isn't going to come out this early and say that. I have no doubt that this will all unfold over the next few weeks.

LVG has said he gave the go ahead for Shaw and Herrera. They were purchased.

He said shortly after joining that he would assess the sqaud for 3 weeks before making any transfer decisions. 3 weeks later we bid for Vermalen.

We then bid for Rojo. These were two players not linked before and if they were during the Moyes era ppl would have been up in arms about them being to average.

These stories about Verm and Rojo broke before bids because when enquires are made, in this day and age the stories eventually come out.

Do you honestly think that we have nid for lots of players and it has not leaked? who exactly to you think we bid for and not gotten?

Then you'd have to assume that LVG has gien Woodward a list and he has lost the ability to even bid anymore? and that LVG would keep his mouth shut about it? Do you believe any of this?

LVG is doing it his way, right or wrong and Woodward can't bid for anyone LVG doesn't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Saw a comment elsewhere that on the one hand is stating the obvious, but on the other puts things into startling perspective: we go into tomorrow's game with last season's squad minus Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, and Nani.

Overpaid then for a player that wasn't exactly needed.

I don't really want to continue with this as we have both made our points now, but just in relation to the bold bit above. You (and others) again seem to be trying to blame Woodward for something that has nothing to do with him. People want some one to blame and they feel like they can't blame LVG (not saying they should) because he is the new manager and flavour of the month after the world cup and lets face it, united fans need to believe that he is the right man to get us back to where we were. Therefore they choose to blame Woodward as who else is there to blame?

In the quote above you say Woodward overpaid for a player who wasn't needed. But its not his fault the player wasn't needed (and that's debatable), it was Moyes fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Whats with all the negativity. We still have 10 days to go in the window. How do we know that a deal for ADM is not in place, even though a CM should be our priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Remember, money is no object!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You are all only guessing at who to blame. Nobody here knows anything that goes on away from the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lol..

BvqD8OiCYAA_iHj.jpg

1. My statement was aimed at the people who are starting down the road of freaking out and criticising pretty much every decision he makes and thing he says. I think if those people really want to give him a chance of succeeding then they need to shut the fúck up with the criticisms.

2. I have no idea what players Moyes wanted and I don't care.

I have no idea what players LvG did not want and I'm willing to trust that he has made the right decisions.

I have no idea whether LvG has shown any interest in Vidal privately, either within his own head, within the club or between the two clubs. I'm willing to trust that he has made the right decisions and I don't care about any lack of publicly visible interest.

I am willing to trust that no.3 LvG is doing a first class job of turning the team around and heading back towards success as quickly as possible while also laying solid foundations for medium and long term success.

1. Fair enough.

2. Thats a lot of trust . The team picked up where they left of last season with poor football but yes it would be too early to freak out but its too early for no.3 especially the quickly as possible part.

Have Kroos, Cesc and CBs in against Swansea would be "turning the team around and heading back towards success as quickly as possible"

Do you believe he passed on them? and have faith they were good calls?

Also you have expressed your own reservations about the 3-5-2 system. My other gripe about that system needing 3 CBs and us only have 3 CBs with first team experience and LVG needing three weeks to assess when its glaringly obvious defenders were needed right away. Not to mention LB cover

If you have trust here thats your call, lets hope its not blind faith. When you match our defens to our rivals it looks like we are very vunerable. Do you turst LVG there also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are in a position where we could actually do worse this season then last.

Im not even looking forward to Sunderland game.

I dont know who is to blame, tbh I dont care, its just a shambles this whole summer.

May promised so much for the summer but now we are in a shocking position.

We have lost leaders and not replaced them or the urgent repaires we needed.

We may still have over a week to buy players but its clear to me whoever we get will not be a name we will get too excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

People are criticizing Woodward for not being able to get players, no one is going to complain if Woodward spends 50m on Vidal instead of 40m, or 60m on Di Maria instead of 50m

theres a big difference between "overpaying" for 2 of the best players in the world as opposed to overpaying for Fellaini and Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We are in a position where we could actually do worse this season then last.

Im not even looking forward to Sunderland game.

I dont know who is to blame, tbh I dont care, its just a shambles this whole summer.

May promised so much for the summer but now we are in a shocking position.

We have lost leaders and not replaced them or the urgent repaires we needed.

We may still have over a week to buy players but its clear to me whoever we get will not be a name we will get too excited about.
    Oh god Kew's positivity is totally gone - we fcuked :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Not sure if posted, but a scary read about the similarity in our slide and the demise of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (who have lost a shocking 32 of their last 48 games).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2731537/Manchester-United-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-run-parallel-lines-Glazer-family-risking-slide-mediocrity.html

irishfeen wrote: »
    Oh god Kew's positivity is totally gone - we fcuked :eek: :pac:

Mine is slowly sliding away.. I've had visions of us turning into Liverpool of the 90's all day!

In a way I'm almost glad I'll be in Croker for 4pm Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It would seem to me that the delays in doing deals is down to protracted negotiations on price and the terms of the deal, both in terms of the selling side but especially in United's case the buying side.

Woodward is negotiating exactly how the Glazers want him to, the same way he negotiates on the commercial side ie. squeeze every penny. To think this is not in line with the Glazers' wishes is naive.

Clubs like Chelsea, Man City, Madrid and Barcelona get deals done quickly because their primary concern is to get the player they want not the best possible deal. Of course even these clubs can drag their heels when dealing with a selling club that doesn't want to sell like Spurs and Bale.

Take the Suarez deal for example there is no way United would have just stumped up 65 or 75 million in cash for a player suspended for 4 months but Barca just wanted the player and got him.

I have no proof for this (I know a lot in here are obsessed with concrete evidence) but I believe United could sign Vidal this summer if they just simply meet Juve's asking price the same way they could have bought Farbregas last summer if they met Barca's.

It's a simple fact that the financial considerations of a deal in terms of wages, resale value and payment structure are far more important to United than the other top clubs for the fundamental reason United is run as a business with profit maximisation the main goal.

Profit maximisation at a football club, in the long run at least, is dependant on on the field success. I say the long run as I'm not convinced the Glazers care about our long run success, since they will probably have cashed in on their asset before the underinvestment on the playing staff will have an effect on the revenue generation of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I've had visions of us turning into Liverpool of the 90's all day!

I'm thinking United of the 70's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Do you honestly think that we have nid for lots of players and it has not leaked? who exactly to you think we bid for and not gotten?

It was a fair few weeks before we got word that we had bid (and been rejected) for Reus. There was talks of Muller briefly, but its only recent comments that let us know a contract was supposedly offered of some sort. If Rojo hadn't used his instrgram to start following people, it's likely that our pursuit of him would have taken far longer to come to light (the contract saga wouldn't have been as big a story, and no mention of United was made offically till the day or two before he signed).

I think it's perfectly logical to presume that inquiry letters, at the least, were sent out, asking if players were available, and when a firm No was sent back, we moved on. It won't always get to bids or whatever, since it's at the stage now where an official bid is the near-final step of the process, but I'd be 100% confident in saying we made approaches for players this summer and they weren't leaked to the press.

theres a big difference between "overpaying" for 2 of the best players in the world as opposed to overpaying for Fellaini and Shaw.

No there's a big difference between overpaying on players you want and players you don't want.

Mine is slowly sliding away.. I've had visions of us turning into Liverpool of the 90's all day!

In a way I'm almost glad I'll be in Croker for 4pm Sunday.
    It's the way we are going. This season couldn't have started much worse, and without a top cb and CM added we won't get near 4th spot. We miss out on the CL again and it will take a long time to recover. It will be tougher to sign the quality players than it is now and we've made a fecking ordeal of it this summer as it is. This is a make or break season fir united, and I see no reason to think we are going to make it.

A pathetic summer will result in another pathetic season. I can't believe lessons have not been learned.

No there's a big difference between overpaying on players you want and players you don't want.

Overpaying on a notional value a club refuse to sell for is different to overpaying for a player with a cast iron value to be sold for because you arsed around failing all summer and were reduced to a panic buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's the way we are going. This season couldn't have started much worse, and without a top cb and CM added we won't get near 4th spot. We miss out on the CL again and it will take a long time to recover. It will be tougher to sign the quality players than it is now and we've made a fecking ordeal of it this summer as it is. This is a make or break season fir united, and I see no reason to think we are going to make it.

A pathetic summer will result in another pathetic season. I can't believe lessons have not been learned.

Thats why I was so confident all summer

I thought to myself 'we wont make same mistakes this summer'

But hey here we are and its actually worse

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It was a fair few weeks before we got word that we had bid (and been rejected) for Reus. There was talks of Muller briefly, but its only recent comments that let us know a contract was supposedly offered of some sort. If Rojo hadn't used his instrgram to start following people, it's likely that our pursuit of him would have taken far longer to come to light (the contract saga wouldn't have been as big a story, and no mention of United was made offically till the day or two before he signed).

I think it's perfectly logical to presume that inquiry letters, at the least, were sent out, asking if players were available, and when a firm No was sent back, we moved on. It won't always get to bids or whatever, since it's at the stage now where an official bid is the near-final step of the process, but I'd be 100% confident in saying we made approaches for players this summer and they weren't leaked to the press.
    Letters?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Letters?

I knew someone would get hung up on the word used and not the sentiment... :P

Letters, faxes, phonecalls, trips to the relevant houses at 2AM hiding in the bushes, smoke signals, whatever...

Thats why I was so confident all summer

I thought to myself 'we wont make same mistakes this summer'

But hey here we are and its actually worse

Don't say that, sure isn't it just mean and homer overreacting... Plenty of time left. Last summer, last January and the rest of this summer gives no reason to think Woodward doesn't have everything under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If the Chief Executive of the club was doing his job well most people wouldn't know what his name was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Did LVG actually say Wellbeck can leave? 23 years of age, will improve needs work on his finishing. United through and through.

I have a pain in my b0llocks with this club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement