Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I read the last few pages and I saw the sky is falling in...

We have to wait and see how things progress or regress as it is with injuries, but you can be sure the club is working away on more signings.

It has been very disappointing but remember United have the finances and the deals to spend their way out of this mess.
    The problem at the moment is the overall quality of the squad is not what it should be, and even though the club spent a lot of money in the past 12 months, they still need to spend a lot more.

We just have to wait and see, hope and pray....for the right decisions to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Robson99 wrote: »
    1. Classy response
    2. So when can we expect some serious talk from him???

1 Cry me a river
    2 Probably never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Shut up.

Bit harsh. Learn to enjoy the joke man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »

It has been very disappointing but remember United have the finances and the deals to spend their way out of this mess.

Really? This summer is not exactly backing up your assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In the last eighteen months alone, United have bought Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo. Not for small amounts either. They have the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Kirby wrote: »
    Bit harsh. Learn to enjoy the joke man.

I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I did go onto say the quality of the team is not what it should be, and a lot more needs to be spent.
    Since January over £110 million spent on four players, we need that again at least spent...

Kirby wrote: »
    In the last eighteen months alone, United have bought Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo. Not for small amounts either. They have the money.
    I didn't say we couldn't spend at all, I'm questioning whether we have the ability to spend our way out of this mess. The lack of a top cb or CM signing would indicate we are struggling to get the players we really need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DiMaria and Khedira offically not in the squad tonight for Real.

And Sky Italia saying Benatia has told Roma he wants to go.

Would love one of them :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lord TSC wrote: »

PSG, Arsenal and Bayern by Monday :pac:

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cant see any of them coming to utd :(

Those 3 players in our team would finally get us to the next level

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'd agree on the first two, not so sure on Benatia.

Headshot wrote: »
    Those 3 players in our team would finally get us to the next level

After spending 75m so far on 3 first teamers, I can't see us spending another 100m on 3 more tbh.

Its why I wouldn't be shocked to see Welbeck sold on; we'd get a decent return on a fringe player and hopefully invest elsewhere.

I think our patience will be put to the test over the next few months. Obviously there are deficiencies in the team\squad and it was going to be a struggle with a new manager. But with so many injuries to first team players, I can't see us making a challenge for top 4. The early part of the season will be a write off at this stage. Midfield situation is scandalous. Full back situation also scandalous. Head officially wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

For anyone saying Woodward hasn't failed to sign any targets based on there being no talk of failed moves, can you let me know when vermaelen, hummels, muller and Vidal are due to make their debuts?

When has any even somewhat reliable source linked us with Hummels?
    Just because fans say "We want Hummels" and he doesn't sign doesn't mean Woodward failed to get him, we were never in for him in the first place

My heads wrecked too. LVG has something up his sleeve, I'm sure of it. Mad genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

twam2008 wrote: »
    My heads wrecked too. LVG has something up his sleeve, I'm sure of it. Mad genius!

Giggs waiting to spring out of retirement after the window closes ;)

Just because fans say "We want Hummels" and he doesn't sign doesn't mean Woodward failed to get him, we were never in for him in the first place

True. I'm pretty sure hummels stated before the World Cup that he wanted to stay at Dortmund. The rest was muppet tweets and tabloid speculation.

• Advertisement

Too many fires to put out even for LVG. Sir Alex would be really struggling in a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I fail to see how not being in for the best available players is better than at least trying to sign them and failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tom Lawrence goal 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Too many fires to put out even for LVG. Sir Alex would be really struggling in a situation like this.

That's Moyes talk snap out of it man

Andy mitten considered one of the top guys for united news by the redit united forum, says he was a prime target. Along with every paper. But sure go ahead and ignore that cause it doesn't suit you.

You saying it matter of fact as you have means absolutely nothing. I'll trust people like mitten over you every day of the week.

I just think he's no shrinking violet, he won't put up with ****, he is mental, that goal keeper swap at the world cup was genius, he'll sort it out, don't think it'll be this year, but he will sort it out. As was said before, lot to change after Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just getting to watch the press conference now, there is literally zero controversial or wrong about what Van Gaal says in it from my watching, I haven't finished it yet but so far I see a lot of sense being spoken and some pretty fair assessments so far.

Taking something out of context and saying Van Gaal said the first three months will be difficult and stuff like that might sound odd but when you actually watch it, see the questions, hear the answers then it is pretty clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/SirAlexStand/statuses/502894911965134848

Rojo knows what's up.

Or he's just as desperate as the rest of us.

Andy mitten considered one of the top guys for united news by the redit united forum, says he was a prime target. Along with every paper. But sure go ahead and ignore that cause it doesn't suit you.

You saying it matter of fact as you have means absolutely nothing. I'll trust people like mitten over you every day of the week.

I assume by every paper you mean The Daily Mail, The Express and The Metro :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    That's Moyes talk snap out of it man

Ah stop, would you. He has a squad that isn't up to scratch,
    Struggling to get players in, and a very long list of injuries.

It's an impossible situation at the moment. What's he supposed to do?
    There will be bad results. We just have to ride out the storm.

Edit: sorry lads.
    Just a bit annoyed with the way things are going.
    Still hoping we can get deals done for some top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

He had a situation like this and did struggle.

Perhaps lucky for him there was a European ban and no Champions League so top 4 wasn't the same priority...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

After spending 75m so far on 3 first teamers, I can't see us spending another 100m on 3 more tbh.

???? i though you were saying all summer that signing certain players , doesnt mean it stops us buying others?

whats made you change you mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rojo knows what's up.

Or he's just as desperate as the rest of us.

I think he's just liking anything that involves him and Man Utd on Instagram.

Knowing our luck his work permit will get rejected and the window will be closed.

I'd agree on the first two, not so sure on Benatia.

Oh he is good, he is damn good!

Edit: Possibly the best centre back not playing for one of the top European powerhouses already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm starting to change my mind about Vidal. I think if you told me we could sign DiMaria and Khedira for say £65 million and forget about Vidal then i'd snap your hand off.

Honestly feel like those 2 players being available is something almost too perfect to pass up. Add another solid defender and we're laughing.

• Advertisement

I assume by every paper you mean The Daily Mail, The Express and The Metro :rolleyes:

Don't know why you are taking snide shots at me in such a patronising way.

Telegraph and The Guardian not good enough fit you either?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10999776/Louis-van-Gaal-still-planning-on-boosting-defensive-ranks-at-Manchester-United-with-Mats-Hummels-still-on-radar.html

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/10/mats-hummels-van-gaal-manchester-united-borussia-dortmund

kryogen wrote: »

Edit: Possibly the best centre back not playing for one of the top European powerhouses already

I meant on where they are going. Don't think Benatia's destination is clear cut.

???? i though you were saying all summer that signing certain players , doesnt mean it stops us buying others?

whats made you change you mind?

I'll clarify.

I don't believe we'll spend 100m over a week when we've already spent 90m over a summer. What I've said in the past is that spending 40m didn't stop us buying a CM at January.

There's a difference between arguing signing one 40m player didn't stop us spending elsewhere if we wanted, and saying that having spent 90m on 3 players, I don't believe we will spend another 100m. We well could. I think the money is probably there, and God knows there was talks of a 200m warchest in the past. I just don't believe it will happen.

Would be thrilled if it did though.

I meant on where they are going. Don't think Benatia's destination is clear cut.

If Munich come in for him he is gone there imho, would be a good fit there too with how Pep likes his teams, his athleticism would be of great benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

i trust Paul Scholes to be a better judge of the clubs philosophy than almost anybody in the football. im sorry that upsets you.

I think you've misunderstood what LVG said - he was talking about how Scholes and the fans need to wait and trust the philosophy he's brought to the club. Most of his press conference was about that philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I ll second that. Anyone who watched Serie A will tell you how good he is. Would sort our defence without doubt. I cant believe the club have allowed a situation arise where Jones, Smalling and Evans are our senior centre halves. Look back over the last 3 season and how many games this trio have missed through injury and its frightening. Shocking forward planning by the powers that be. Its baffling that they cant see the gaping holes in our squad. I reckon we need to bottom out before the Glazers realise the extent of our problems or sell up altogether. While the commercial money keeps rolling in and the stadium is full the Glazers will be happy. Unfortunately for supporters, the Glazers view United as a business investment not a sporting institution.
    On LVG: At Bayern it took a long while before the results started to flow for him. He doesnt change the style over night but he has a plan and deserves the benefit of the doubt

If Munich come in for him he is gone there imho, would be a good fit there too with how Pep likes his teams, his athleticism would be of great benefit to them.

I just think if they wanted him they'd have him already, don't think he'll go to Munich, and a pipe dream for us I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Bayern will sign either Khedira or Benatia.

I just think if they wanted him they'd have him already, don't think he'll go to Munich, and a pipe dream for us I'm afraid.

You don't think he will be moving then? Or where would you see him going, can't think where else he would be going personally

RasTa wrote: »

You want to take a shot at me, go ahead.

As it is, I got the links right in my post. You link is not relevant to my point. Dortmund rejecting any move has no impact on whether united were after him in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Although I agree we need more signings (ones I don't see happening) we can't forget that this squad has shown before they can be successful.

I'm just hoping the squad can put in a good battling spell before January to get us into the top 4. If most of the players we have, despite how good or bad we think they are, have won the league before I don't see why they can't bounce back under VG and get us 4th for January.

Then with the prospect of getting a CL spot we can bring in more players in January.

I know people might give out saying it sounds like I'm giving up or happy with our situation, but honestly as much as I'd love players brought in I can't see us making much of a difference in the next week. Hopefully we can push on have a good spell then bring in the likes of Strootman and co in January.

And before people complain or say to me something along the lines "How can you be happy with it after last year?" I'm not happy, but getting worked up about it won't change a single thing.

You don't think he will be moving then? Or where would you see him going, can't think where else he would be going personally

I'm thinking he won't go, price is too high, hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

For anyone saying Woodward hasn't failed to sign any targets based on there being no talk of failed moves, can you let me know when vermaelen, hummels, muller and Vidal are due to make their debuts?
    You want to take a shot at me, go ahead.

As it is, I got the links right in my post. You link is not relevant to my point. Dortmund rejecting any move has no impact on whether united were after him in the first place.

I'm confused, so we might have being interested but Dortmund rejecting any move shows we weren't interested and is Woodward's fault? Same for Muller?

Vermaelen is about the only player you might have a point with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement