Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm confused, so we might have being interested but Dortmund rejecting any move shows we weren't interested and is Woodward's fault? Same for Muller?

Vermaelen is about the only player you might have a point with.
    What?

I'm saying we were interested and failed to sign him. I provided links to back that up.

Was your post backing me up or refuting me?

Regardless I don't see why the star link is a more correct link than the ones I provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Although I agree we need more signings (ones I don't see happening) we can't forget that this squad has shown before they can be successful.

has it?

Rio, Vidic and Evra as a unit were one of the main reasons, if not the main reasons of our success in the last few years.

their loss is absolutely huge. and even in our success in 2011, Nani was our player of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What?

I'm saying we were interested and failed to sign him. I provided links to back that up.

Was your post backing me up or refuting me?

Regardless I don't see why the star link is a more correct link than the ones I provided.

There is a difference in being interested in a player and attempting to sign a player, I am sure United like every club are interested and keep tabs on lots of players.

Whether we tried to sign a player or not is important though when deciding if the club failed to sign a player or not isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Although I agree we need more signings (ones I don't see happening) we can't forget that this squad has shown before they can be successful.

I'm just hoping the squad can put in a good battling spell before January to get us into the top 4. If most of the players we have, despite how good or bad we think they are, have won the league before I don't see why they can't bounce back under VG and get us 4th for January.

Then with the prospect of getting a CL spot we can bring in more players in January.

I know people might give out saying it sounds like I'm giving up or happy with our situation, but honestly as much as I'd love players brought in I can't see us making much of a difference in the next week. Hopefully we can push on have a good spell then bring in the likes of Strootman and co in January.

And before people complain or say to me something along the lines "How can you be happy with it after last year?" I'm not happy, but getting worked up about it won't change a single thing.

Strootman in January is a pipe dream.
    And people have got to let this idea go that this squad won the league, therefore...
    Vidic, evra, rio, giggs, scholes gone.
    Sir Alex gone.
    Improvement in our competitors.
    Some players getting old.
    Too many injuries.
    This is not two years ago. Things have changes quite a bit since that time.

has it?

Rio, Vidic and Evra as a unit were one of the main reasons, if not the main reasons of our success in the last few years.

their loss is absolutely huge. and even in our success in 2011, Nani was our player of the year.

So was Ronaldo yet the squad still had success without him.

The squad has the members of title winning teams in its number, it should be able to challenge for top four in its current state and re address in January if thats the way it has to be.

The need for a couple of high class additions is not missed by anyone in this thread anyway, but the squad is still capable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    There is a difference in being interested in a player and attempting to sign a player, I am sure United like every club are interested and keep tabs on lots of players.

Whether we tried to sign a player or not is important though when deciding if the club failed to sign a player or not isn't it?

So mitten someone held highly by others, not just me, says he is or was a prime target but we never actually tried to sign him. Ok. Others has him down as a prime target. But we never tried to sign him. Ok. Muller apparently saying he rejected a contract from us must mean he was lying, as we obviously never tried to get him either. And the at. Madrid chairman was lying when he said reus rejected us too. And clearly we aren't in for Vidal, nor ever were we.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

And people have got to let this idea go that this squad won the league, therefore...
    Sir Alex gone.
    Too many injuries.
    Keep that positivity going Red!.... :)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Keep that positivity going Red!.... :)

I know, I know.

Di Maria, Vidal, Benatia, Khedira. Do it, woody!!!! Hahaha

So mitten someone held highly by others, not just me, says he is or was a prime target but we never actually tried to sign him. Ok. Others has him down as a prime target. But we never tried to sign him. Ok. Muller apparently saying he rejected a contract from us must mean he was lying, as we obviously never tried to get him either. And the at. Madrid chairman was lying when he said reus rejected us too. And clearly we aren't in for Vidal, nor ever were we.

Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

At least you admit when you're wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sir Alex gone.
    Too many injuries.
    has it?

I agree the loss of the key players is big but saying that you can't discredit the fact that a lot of the current players contributed to the team success and have won their accomplishments through their own merit.

When a player has played a part in a squad that has gone on to win the league and numerous other trophies we can't just overlook it. I'm not saying we will win the league, by no means but even with the improvements of our opposition and a few key players leaving we really should still be competing for a top four spot. At the moment I would say our team is missing two key players to actually make us a real threat to the title.

You know, as bad as things are. I felt really dreadful yesterday to see the photos of Paul Gascogne. Tragic to see what drink can do to a person. Anyone else see the pics? Was a big fan of his when I was a kid.

Been wondering, I know sir Alex tried to bring him in years ago. I wonder if the great man might have altered the course of gazza's life if we had bought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

If following United annoyed and aggravated me as much as it appears to annoy & aggravate others itt, I'd immediately lose interest in them and take up something less stressful like flower arranging or Russian Roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I agree the loss of the key players is big but saying that you can't discredit the fact that a lot of the current players contributed to the team success and have won their accomplishments through their own merit.

When a player has played a part in a squad that has gone on to win the league and numerous other trophies we can't just overlook it. I'm not saying we will win the league, by no means but even with the improvements of our opposition and a few key players leaving we really should still be competing for a top four spot. At the moment I would say our team is missing two key players to actually make us a real threat to the title.

I think there will be a handful of the squad left within a couple of years.

You know, as bad as things are. I felt really dreadful yesterday to see the photos of Paul Gascogne. Tragic to see what drink can do to a person. Anyone else see the pics? Was a big fan of his when I was a kid.

Been wondering, I know sir Alex tried to bring him in years ago. I wonder if the great man might have altered the course of gazza's life if we had bought him.
    Ah it was dreadful to see :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Saw that pic sad to see him that way and he is only 47

Hococop wrote: »
    Saw that pic sad to see him that way and he is only 47

I know. Looks like a frail old man. I just remember the time George best interviewed sir Alex. He was very direct to best, and said he wouldn't allow one of his players do what he did. Talked about protecting his players.
    Who knows. He might have saved gazza from himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

has it?

Really? I thought you said RooneyRonaldo RVP 'papered over the cracks'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Radio Marca saying Di Maria has spoke to Rojo about United and wants the move. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

dor843088 wrote: »
    I fail to see how not being in for the best available players is better than at least trying to sign them and failing.

But Hummels isn't available, he isn't leaving Dortmund. I suppose we should stick a cheeky bid in for Ronaldo and Messi as well, just so we can say we tried?

• Advertisement

Well bai's ye ready for round 2 :pac:

sn2opl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

https://twitter.com/Marcador/status/502911736698372097
    Translation:

"Di Maria wants to play for Manchester it has already been contacted #red new United player"

Radio Marca saying Di Maria has spoke to Rojo about United and wants the move. Hmm.

Well in fairness, Rojo with his years of playing for the club would be well able to fill him in on the finer points of playing for United and living in Manchester, the do's and don'ts, the where to goes and what to see etc

Di Maria is obviously a savvy character and knows the best way to get a transfer to United is to have a chat with a newly signed United player and express an interest in moving to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

kryogen wrote: »
    Well in fairness, Rojo with his years of playing for the club would be well able to fill him in on the finer points of playing for United and living in Manchester, the do's and don'ts, the where to goes and what to see etc

Di Maria is obviously a savvy character and knows the best way to get a transfer to United is to have a chat with a newly signed United player and express an interest in moving to him.

Don't shoot the messenger

Don't shoot the messenger

Not at all just poking fun at the absurdity of the message.

What's Marca like for reliability lately?? ... They probably still have the photoshop machine on overdrive putting those white jerseys on the yanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wonder if the great man might have altered the course of gazza's life if we had bought him.

Always hard to say, but personally I think it could have. Giggsy has spoken many times about the affect SAF had in managing him and guiding him throughout his career. Becks never forget how SAF protected him and shielded him from the ire of the nation after the 98 Word Cup. He protected Ronaldo from the media frenzy, when he returned to England after the Rooney sending off. Of course there is no guarantee that Gazza would have turned out any different. But I think if he had of been under the guiding wing of SAF. He could have had a much more successful career and a healthier life.

LVG on the injury crisis at the club right now.
    i have never experienced anything like this in my entire career. its too much

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Is that from the embargoed part of the press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's only an injury crises because we've let so many defenders go and have our typical useless midfield options. A self inflicted injury crises

Di Maria to replace Welbeck would be amazing

• Advertisement

It's not too late to sign some emergency cover Louis!

That's what I was saying earlier. It's too much for anyone to control. Too many fires to put out.

Moyes said something similar last year.
    *runs away*

But there is the question: what would happen if another top club was in a
    Position like this?

Taok wrote: »

no, he has done a couple of more interviews tonight seperate from that. he said that there are 7 players injured, it was 9 last week. assuming Fellaini, Herrera and Jesse are 3 added to the list, i assume that means 5 of the players missing last week, are now available?

still injured -
    Carrick
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Fellaini
    Jesse

who are the other 2, Welbeck and ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

no, he has done a couple of more interviews tonight seperate from that. he said that there are 7 players injured, it was 9 last week. assuming Fellaini, Herrera and Jesse are 3 added to the list, i assume that means 5 of the players missing last week, are now available?

still injured -
    Carrick
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Fellaini
    Jesse

who are the other 2, Welbeck and ???

Herrera is injured now too? Ah for fock sake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Anyone else think someone saw Welbeck go into LVG's office and then invented a conversation that may have taken place?

Always hard to say, but personally I think it could have. Giggsy has spoken many times about the affect SAF had in managing him and guiding him throughout his career. Becks never forget how SAF protected him and shielded him from the ire of the nation after the 98 Word Cup. He protected Ronaldo from the media frenzy, when he returned to England after the Rooney sending off. Of course there is no guarantee that Gazza would have turned out any different. But I think if he had of been under the guiding wing of SAF. He could have had a much more successful career and a healthier life.

Was watching this with my da. He was a spurs fan. Still remember he turned to me and said 'thank f*ck he didn't sign for yous' :)

http://youtu.be/GVMaIUSeRxA

The whole I was King last week and I'm the Devil this week, I don't get that, surely a very small percentage of people would have been critical of LVG, where does that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Peist2007 wrote: »
    No, i think that Scholes is not eloquent and any time i have seen him interviewed he comes across as a man of few words. So to expect him to elucidate on the tactical ramifications of 3 centre halves to BT Sport viewers was unlikely to happen.

And i never said it worked that way. Of the various ex-player pundits around there are more that i do not think have a clue than those i do. But to have Scholes' views "disregarded" and then to give your own opinion as if it carries more weight is funny in my opinion. The very definition of internet football punditry.

So are we all in agreement that Pro F knows more about playing 3 at the back than Paul Scholes? :pac:

Way behind here but this is soooooo spot on I just had to thank it, read the original Pro F post and thought it one of the most arrogant posts I've ever seen on Boards.

Generally appreciate Pro F s posts so not a dig but Jesus the tone that post was off the scale me me me!!

Taok wrote: »

No it was part of a longer answer to a question he gave earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm injured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

twam2008 wrote: »
    The whole I was King last week and I'm the Devil this week, I don't get that, surely a very small percentage of people would have been critical of LVG, where does that come from?

Twitter. The internet. Podcasts. BBC Radio. Scholes. Everywhere you turn people are lambasting him and the club for not having made more signings.

im sure he is talking more about the entire suituation than himself - would imagine alot of that was sparked by Scholes, as that was one of the first questions and perhaps he read it?

the scholes story has sparked alot of debate and panic since it came out

He was speaking about the media, his portrayel and how football changes so quickly in terms of perception.

I'm hoping the interview with Neville will shed some light, think there needs to be more transparency as to what's going on. Arguably the biggest club in the world, and the things that are going on are very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I'm hoping the interview with Neville will shed some light, think there needs to be more transparency as to what's going on. Arguably the biggest club in the world, and the things that are going on are very strange.

Is it a live interview or prerecorded and where will it be broadcast?

• Advertisement

Is it a live interview or prerecorded and where will it be broadcast?

Apparently the Telegraph are releasing an Interview with Gary Neville at 11pm, I would imagine it can only be to calm things down and explain things to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Apparently the Telegraph are releasing an Interview with Gary Neville at 11pm, I would imagine it can only be to calm things down and explain things to some degree.

Will have a gander on the Telegraph site and see what the suss is.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

In the second half of the press conference, the journos pushed LVG on Welbeck and transfers and he just shot them down with "thats private".

some more quotes emerging from the second part of the press conference.

all of these are taken from same place - United Report ‏@UtdReport

Louis van Gaal confirms Fellaini will have a scan on his ankle tomorrow.
    "We're a little bit thin with midfielders."
    What the players say to me is private and what I say to the players, is also private."
    I discuss it with players. I don't ask you if you are having sex tomorrow. It's the same thing."

The embargoed bit of the pc was just shown on mutv.

Nothing of note really to come out of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement