Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kryogen wrote: »
    Good interview. How you could not have faith in that man would be beyond me!

I can already see myself being devastated in three years when he decides to move on after winning the PL and the CL. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

twam2008 wrote: »
    Always feel I'm biased when I say it, but majority of people I talk to agree, even Liverpool supporters.

Aye, I know a Liverpool supporter who hates Neville for some reason, always did, but even he reluctantly admits he's a good pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can already see myself being devastated in three years when he decides to move on after winning the PL and the CL. :pac:

Now that is the kind of devastation I could enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Tbh, I don't see anything of any great note in Neville's article bar his great respect for LVG, LVG's fondness of the word philosophy and his self-belief is as high as it's always been over the years. All seems pretty standard for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Yeah our midfield is very concerning. Hard to imagine us getting whats needed before this window is over though.

Herrera was a much needed inclusion but now he will be out (hopefully only 2 weeks), Fellaini looks set to be out for a good bit, Carrick injured, we are pretty much left with Cleverley and Fletcher. Jones might have to move up to CM.

Worrying alright.

Fully agree, at the moment we are down to the barest of bones in midfield.

Injuries or not a combo of Fletcher and Cleverley hardly strikes fear into an opposing team.

Can we move Jones up though with so few fit defenders either?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Tbh, I don't see anything of any great note in Neville's article bar his great respect for LVG, LVG's fondness of the word philosophy and his self-belief is as high as it's always been over the years. All seems pretty standard for an interview.

I liked how up front LVG was to be honest, also liked how he indicated the young players would get a chance and he will stamp in his mentality one way or the other.

Seems a far more definite / structured attitude than Moyes ever exuded, or maybe was ever allowed to.

Personally, I felt more upbeat after reading the article than I did for the vast majority of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

City should send Balotelli a giant box of fireworks as a "Welcome back to England" gift, with a bit of luck he'll burn down Anfield :P

Mad when you think about it, they get rid of one fruit and bring in another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Mad when you think about it, they get rid of one fruit and bring in another.

Yup, both are gifted but also total loonballs.

One of the lads in work mentioned a statistic which showed that in all his games for City, Balotelli only had 1 assist (unfortunately the one that won them the league).

That seems crazy to me, but lad is that mental that he'll likely turn out as a prodigy for Liverpool, just to annoy everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some strike on him though. He always used to embarrass Hart in training. Mario would give him nearly 40 yards and still score with most of his shots.

His shooting technique is, in my opinion, his biggest asset. Expect a few screamers this season from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kirby wrote: »
    Some strike on him though. He always used to embarrass Hart in training. Mario would give him nearly 40 yards and still score with most of his shots.

His shooting technique is, in my opinion, his biggest asset. Expect a few screamers this season from him.

No way is he scoring MOST of his shots from 40. no, none, zip, not having it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good, good we are all sane then, just annoying to think they have just got a player of his calibre for £16m yet we are thinking of paying over 3 times as much for players, someone should teach the Man Utd transfer gurus how to lowball.

Player of his calibre? I wouldn't have him for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Scoring goals from 40 yards a lot?

Ya sure he does.

Di Maria wife is trolling United fans too the little rascal.

And im still not looking forward to tomorrow. Not with whats going be in middle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DiMaria's missus has been back on Instagram, liking pictures related to Man United, including one saying "Welcome to Manchester".

Main worry is that is gorilla warfare, and she is trying to scare PSG into hurrying up,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I completely agree. You also have to question the timing if the article, smacks of PR to me

s8n wrote: »
    I completely agree. You also have to question the timing if the article, smacks of PR to me

Pretty much every interview, every press conference a manager does is PR. I would imagine the majority of managers couldn't care less if they never spoke to a journalist ever. So yeah, it's pretty obviously a PR piece, designed to calm down some fans and show them what LVG is thinking, both short and long term, and what type of manager/person he is. That don't mean it's any less insightful into his current mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Whatever anyone else thinks of Marios transfer i think its fantastic business by Liverpool. For the supposed 16m its a no brainer. Some character and anyone that thinks it isn't good business can't really be serious.

He'll win plenty of games for them, might cost them one or two but the Di Canios and the Cantonas did. Cantona cost us a league title at Crystal Palace

Great to see him back in premiership

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    DiMaria's missus has been back on Instagram, liking pictures related to Man United, including one saying "Welcome to Manchester".

Main worry is that is gorilla warfare, and she is trying to scare PSG into hurrying up,...

That's exactly what it is. Case number 1215 of United being used in that manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm back to work on Monday after two weeks holidays.

If you think I've been negative in the last couple of weeks, imagine what I'll be like on Monday if we fall to another defeat. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Been away for a few days and just seen that LVG has told Welbeck he can leave ! Wtf , gutted. Not the greatest finisher in the world I know, but great work rate and technical ability. Thought he was our best forward at holding up the ball and linking with other players. Hoping he would improve under LVG. Always good to have a few local lads in the squad also. No doubt an injury to Rvp or Rooney is just around the corner so this seems like madness to me. And for 10 mill aswell, I would be looking well north of 15 if long is going for 12! What's people's thoughts on this? Sorry if this has been done to death but scanned through the last few pages and just seen the usual lack of transfers talk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

*Anybody watch Orange is the New Black? Watching it now, 3 episodes in, does it actually get any better? People told me it was great. The missus is next to me, she seems to enjoy it, maybe its just aimed at wimmin

Season 1 is extremely mehh and yeh feels like its for wimminsis, season 2 is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Been away for a few days and just seen that LVG has told Welbeck he can leave ! Wtf , gutted. Not the greatest finisher in the world I know, but great work rate and technical ability. Thought he was our best forward at holding up the ball and linking with other players. Hoping he would improve under LVG. Always good to have a few local lads in the squad also. No doubt an injury to Rvp or Rooney is just around the corner so this seems like madness to me. And for 10 mill aswell, I would be looking well north of 15 if long is going for 12! What's people's thoughts on this? Sorry if this has been done to death but scanned through the last few pages and just seen the usual lack of transfers talk!

You've seen a headline in a newspaper. Chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've been pretty sceptical about Utd signing anyone else in the window but I do wonder if they are considering making an "emergency" signing with all the midfield injuries? It has to be in their thoughts surely, even if they do for some reason think the midfield is fine overall when fit?

The likes of De Jong, while not everyone's cup of tea, would be a great boost to the team at this stage, would be available for relatively little money and you would think may be open to the move.

I know it's plucking a name out of the air and saying "go get him" but I really do think something has to be done. The way the fixtures are, it's imperative now to pick up lots of points in the next few games if Utd have notions of CL football next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

GSPfan wrote: »
    You've seen a headline in a newspaper. Chill.

Seen quite a few though and some quotes from LVG that didn't sound too promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Seen quite a few though and some quotes from LVG that didn't sound too promising.

1+1 doesn't make 2 in the football world. Wait a week and see if Welbeck is still around. I'd bet he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

On the Welbeck thing LVG said Danny knows what he said to him. That could have been anything. It could have been telling him outright that he's behind Rooney and RVP in the pecking order and that he has to work harder to displace them. It doesn't necessarily mean he said 'Danny, you can leave'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whatever anyone else thinks of Marios transfer i think its fantastic business by Liverpool. For the supposed 16m its a no brainer. Some character and anyone that thinks it isn't good business can't really be serious.

He'll win plenty of games for them, might cost them one or two but the Di Canios and the Cantonas did. Cantona cost us a league title at Crystal Palace

Great to see him back in premiership

In some ways it is great to see his personality back in the Premier League, but to compare him to Cantona is a ****ing pisstake tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

In some ways it is great to see his personality back in the Premier League, but to compare him to Cantona is a ****ing pisstake tbh

Not in terms of ability and the players certainly wouldn't look up to him the way the utd players did but its great to see the big charactors in the epl and he certainly can be grouped with Cantona and Di Canio there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

he certainly can be grouped with Cantona and Di Canio there.

What's the membership criteria for this group?

There are some pretty useless footballers who were "characters". Joey Barton etc.

Does Ashley Cole qualify?

KH25 wrote: »
    On the Welbeck thing LVG said Danny knows what he said to him. That could have been anything. It could have been telling him outright that he's behind Rooney and RVP in the pecking order and that he has to work harder to displace them. It doesn't necessarily mean he said 'Danny, you can leave'

I feel that the fact LVG sidestepped the question in such a non-committal way probably means there is truth in a departure somewhere. He could have as easily replied "Shtupid question, he's going nowhere!" but instead offered an answer that works if he stays or goes long term.

I feel that the fact LVG sidestepped the question in such a non-committal way probably means there is truth in a departure somewhere. He could have as easily replied "Shtupid question, he's going nowhere!" but instead offered an answer that works if he stays or goes long term.

Yeah you're probably right there. I guess I could have been a bit more specific. It could have been along the lines of 'you're not first choice. You can either stay and fight or you can go'.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Yeah you're probably right there. I guess I could have been a bit more specific. It could have been along the lines of 'you're not first choice. You can either stay and fight or you can go'.

Yeah. I'd imagine it was exactly that. The choice is Danny's, I guess. I can't fault him if he decides he wants to go and be first choice somewhere, and even though I've given out about him before, I'd love to see how he got on when given a consistent run in the striker's position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I have faith in LVG.

I dont have faith in some of the first team squad.

LVG cant just get a magic wand.

Nail on head here. Its a bit like sending a 5 star chef to work in Mcdonalds. LVG needs to be a miracle worker if he can dislodge our rivals from top 4.

The only problem i have with him is that the problems are so apparent ( and he knows they are there) yet he appears to think he can solve them without top quality signings.

Id happily accept the 3 months thing if it didnt involve depending on Jones, Young, Fletcher and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Balotelli is a class act and will score a hatfull for pool considering the amount of chances they create.

£16m is an absolute no brainer price even if he's just back up to Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Any word on Khadeira?

Ancellotti left him out last night as he is close to a move. Didn't admit as much about Di Maria but his "I am not interested in where he goes" comment about Khadeira suggests to me there is more than one club in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Di maria is coming....i can feel it.

(Got Vermaelen wrong thankfully so i need to make up for that)

Medical booked for him this morning seemingly.

Now for Khadeira!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Nail on head here. Its a bit like sending a 5 star chef to work in Mcdonalds. LVG needs to be a miracle worker if he can dislodge our rivals from top 4.

The only problem i have with him is that the problems are so apparent ( and he knows they are there) yet he appears to think he can solve them without top quality signings.

Id happily accept the 3 months thing if it didnt involve depending on Jones, Young, Fletcher and co.

Do you think the lack of signings into Man Utd is due to LVG? IE, they're not signing because he doesn't want to?

As a Chelsea fan, getting Cesc was a God send, and he could do enough to help us win the league this season. Having said that, I am stunned that he didn't end up at Utd. It makes zero sense. They were making eyes at each other all last summer, he wanted out of Barca, Utd are crying out for a midfield, are willing to pay top dollar ... and he ended up at Chelsea. :confused:

Quietly confident of Di Maria this morning. Just have a good feeling and I hope I'm right.

Him and a midfielder, like Khedeira would be perfect. It would really strengthen the squad. We would still need more in midfield and a CB maybe but it would be a great start.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Just found this provisional squad for the match:

Man United: De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos, Rafael, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, M Keane, Blackett, James, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Mata, Kagawa, Zaha, Januzaj, Van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Powell, W Keane.

At least the likes of Rafael, Valencia, Welbeck and RVP are back.

that squad is wrong as James Wilson is definitely in it, unless he got injured since Fri night. PMcG confirmed he was left out as he's in the senior squad for the weekend.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Coat22 wrote: »
    Medical booked for him this morning seemingly.

Now for Khadeira!!

Medical booked??

Why is it you are confident and I am the pessimist here. What is happening? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Hey guys

Mostly a lurker, but can't keep silent on this shambles any more.

I saw on bbc sport that both Herrera and Fellaini are both out of the match tomorrow, after picking up training injuries. What is the story with our medical team? Why are injuries so frequent at the club?

I'm also shocked that the transfer window has gone on this far without signing more quality in midfield. I understand it's a long season but what we saw last weekend just isn't top 8 stuff, never mind top 4! I really can't understand what the problem is... Identify the targets, sound it out with the respective clubs. Sign the players. Am
    I missing something?

I'm nearly ready to take back all the things I said about David Moyes at this stage.. Nearly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

On Sky's transfer centre site they have the daily star reporting that barca have launched a £48 million pound bid for Di Maria, best story yet ha

Medical booked??

According to this https://twitter.com/thelastofbudge/status/503081956511580161

No idea who the hell this guy is btw:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Coat22 wrote: »
    According to this https://twitter.com/thelastofbudge/status/503081956511580161

No idea who the hell this guy is btw:pac:

the source of this rumour is claiming it was from his mate in the bridgewater ad we dont do medicals in the bridgewater any more afaik they're done at uniteds medical facility which for some reason is sponsored by toshiba

Its likely bull****

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    the source of this rumour is claiming it was from his mate in the bridgewater ad we dont do medicals in the bridgewater any more afaik they're done at uniteds medical facility which for some reason is sponsored by toshiba

Its likely bull****

Most likely but feeling very optimistic this fine sunny morning:D

I'd say DM is in the bag though. Its a CM I'm worried about.

Ancellotti's comment suggest to me more than one club is in for Khadeira - hopefully we're one of them

LVGs comment yesterday about "being fair to players" suggested to me though that he's going to stick with Fletcher and co.

El Conficdential reporting that we can have DiMaria and Khedira for 80m Euro.

Would solve so many problems so easily, but it's not happening, I know it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

The sun is shining...last day of work before 9 days off...I'm feeling good, we're going to win tomorrow and sign at least one player this week.

vhpy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

NTMK wrote: »

Its likely bull****

Quick, someone find a friend at Toshiba!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

El Conficdential reporting that we can have DiMaria and Khedira for 80m Euro.

Would solve so many problems so easily, but it's not happening, I know it's not...

64 million Pounds for god sake ed do it ( if its true)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement