Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lordgoat wrote: »
    I read it and thought it implied Welbecks agent did the talking. LVG said, him and giggs didn't speak to the media and he doubts than DW did. Who else would be in the conversation with him? To me it's the agent.

Yeah, I remember that which is why I think its Dannys people sounding out the options, what may be ominous for young Danny is Louis remark that the player must be responsible for his people, his enviroment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Would it be worth giving Kagawa a shot in Herrera's position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Glad the penny has finally dropped and we don't have to skip 10 pages..

Skip 10 pages? I've skipped the fecking week. Otherwise I'd have slit my wrists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I think it's mad that there are fans who believe that someone is "trolling" when in fact they're just telling it as it is.

- Mata was an awful signing
    - Fergie was delinquent in his final years
    - Van Gaal is a bluffer
    - Moyes was a ludicrous appointment
    - Di Maria would be a panic buy
    - The squad needs £150m spent on midield and defence in the next week or we can forget about 4th.

None of that is trolling!

It's the tactic in this forum - "He's against the consensus - He's a troll!"

Van Gaal is a has been and a bluffer looking for one last pay day. His glory days are behind him and we were delinquent in not appointing Jose. That man was born to be manager of Manchester United and wouldn't tolerate the mediocrity we're seeing now. But Fergie was afraid of being eclipsed so threw holy water on comedy instead of quality.

We are f..ked...as in Liverpool f..ked unless drastic action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Spot on!

spot on???????? its like reading the thoughts of a spoilt child throwing a tantrum.

Mata overrated? yup thats why he was chelseas player of the season the 2 years they won European trophies.

herreras a laughable signing too??? hes played 1 competitve match for united. to use the fact he cant get into a spanish squad midfield that still by the world cup contained most of the team which won the previous 3 major tournaments shows a complete lack of knowledge. hes widely heralded by spanish media as one of the players who will be key to spain in the rebuilding process now but what do people who have watched him every week for the last 7-8 years know?

the mix of keane and iniesta for fabregras is also a joke as he has no similarities to keane. not knocking him hes a good player but come on.

not even going into his clear lack of knowledge of di maria.

I think it's mad that there are fans who believe that someone is "trolling" when in fact they're just telling it as it is.

- Van Gaal is a bluffer
    - The squad needs £150m spent on midield and defence in the next week or we can forget about 4th.

Van Gaal is a has been and a bluffer looking for one last pay day. His glory days are behind him and we were delinquent in not appointing Jose. That man was born to be manager of Manchester United and wouldn't tolerate the mediocrity we're seeing now. But Fergie was afraid of being eclipsed so threw holy water on comedy instead of quality.

Are you suggesting that the current consensus is that Man U aren't up s**t creek right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some quality the last couple of pages.

It's actually cheering me up!

Having read Neville's interview with van Gaal (which is a pretty poor piece in fairness - Neville is a smart guy but needs a bit more writing training) I quite like the idea of forming success slowly around developing a core of young players to fit the system, a smattering of good buys here and there to compliment them. It seems very organic to me and it's exciting to think of the potential results, look at Bayern now or Barca a couple of years ago. What a joy it would be if United were to turn into something like that over the next three years.

Personally, I'd take that over buying a load of big names tomorrow and winning the league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

- Van Gaal is a bluffer

And don't forget David de Gea is a callow youth not cut out for the physical demands of the Premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

- Van Gaal is a bluffer

I don't really think anyone is calling you a troll, but saying not to get involved because it's clear opinions differ.

No one here is truly going to change their opinion but rather just spend pages arguing why theirs is right and someone else's is wrong. Floods the thread a bit when they aren't constructive and just people trying to fight their side.

Look you're entitled to how you feel about the club but others are entitled to feel differently too, let's just hope this weekend goes well and we can add three points.

Are you suggesting that the current consensus is that Man U aren't up s**t creek right now?

I'm suggesting that the situation is far more dire than most people realise. If we don't finish in the top four this season, it will be even harder for us to attract top class talent. We are in danger of entering a vicious circle. The club is at a crossroads. Not spending big in the next week could mean 20 years of pain for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Those Di Maria rumours have to be 100% nonsense, no way will yous pay that sort of money for another attacking player when your defence and midfield is in dire need of reinforcements.

i get what you are saying, BUT.

as bad and all as we were all over the pitch especially in midfield, it was ultimately our attack that cost us last year, we were pityful in the final 3rd of the pitch and had f*ck all creativity.

we dropped at least 16 points in games against poorer opposition where 1 goal would have made a big difference and thats before we even look at the bigger games that we were awful in, yet still could have picked up a few points if we took our chances/made our possession count.

we had plenty of possession but did nothing with it. of course Di Maria wont solve everything, but he solves one problem....

im hopeful of Vidal now also by the way, i think the odds on both signing are getting stronger....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's all well and good saying we need these world class players but the fact is we have approached and bid for many but they aren't coming.

The appointment of Moyes and the loss of champions league has really hurt us and the fact that the majority of players out there would sooner be in a nice warm climate city rather than Manchester. Even London has a lot more sway.

We spent all of last summer trying to sign Fabregas and he's gone straight to London this year instead. Better manager, better familiar city.

It pains me to say it but things aren't the same as 5-10 years ago when we had the power to pull in the worlds top talents. At the moment it seems like we're surviving on scraps.

The money is there, we just can't sign anyone. That is the reality. We'll be like Liverpool in 5 years if things continue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

lordgoat wrote: »
    They never played as wing backs. It was 4 at the back for the second half when Janz came on. He played wide right pretty much.

He came on in the first half for Lingard and played right wing back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'm suggesting that the situation is far more dire than most people realise. If we don't finish in the top four this season, it will be even harder for us to attract top class talent. We are in danger of entering a vicious circle. The club is at a crossroads. Not spending big in the next week could mean 20 years of pain for us.

The next 20 years depends on the next week!!! Hahaha.
    This is great stuff, larry. Keep it coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

- Van Gaal is a bluffer

Nonsense, van Gaal is top quality manager. And how exactly is Liverpool f..ked?? They might not finish 2nd again but they bought well

Blatter wrote: »
    And don't forget David de Gea is a callow youth not cut out for the physical demands of the Premiership.

What?

De Gea is one of our few world class players.

What are you talking about?

8-10 wrote: »
    Nonsense, van Gaal is top quality manager. And how exactly is Liverpool f..ked?? They might not finish 2nd again but they bought well

They haven't won the title for 24 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

as bad and all as we were all over the pitch especially in midfield, it was ultimately our attack that cost us last year, we were pityful in the final 3rd of the pitch and had f*ck all creativity.

we dropped at least 16 points in games against poorer opposition where 1 goal would have made a big difference and thats before we even look at the bigger games that we were awful in, yet still could have picked up a few points if we took our chances/made our possession count.

we had plenty of possession but did nothing with it. of course Di Maria wont solve everything, but he solves one problem....

im hopeful of Vidal now also by the way, i think the odds on both signing are getting stronger....;)

completely agree with you there homer. last week it was the complete lack of bite going forward that cost us the game.

sure we didnt deal with their goals well but just never felt we were gonna create something. im fairly content with our attacking options but adding him in even if its playing a cm/lw role in a 442 diamond and with rvp back and shaw and rafael offering better service going forward from left and right back we may be in a far better position. look at liverpool last season nobody could really say they where defensively sound but they just outscored the opponents and all last season thats what we looked like we lacked. sure for title no 20 thats pretty much what we did attack attack attack and we just ripped teams apart.

of course we need someone to sit at the bottom of the diamond but for some on here to turn their nose up at a player like di maria cause we havent signed that player yet is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying we need these world class players but the fact is we have approached and bid for many but they aren't coming.

The appointment of Moyes and the loss of champions league has really hurt us and the fact that the majority of players out there would sooner be in a nice warm climate city rather than Manchester. Even London has a lot more sway.

We spent all of last summer trying to sign Fabregas and he's gone straight to London this year instead. Better manager, better familiar city.

It pains me to say it but things aren't the same as 10 years ago when we had the power to pull in the worlds top talents. At the moment it seems like we're surviving on scraps.

The money is there, we just can't sign anyone. That is the reality. We'll be like Liverpool in 5 years if things continue like this.

I don't really buy that we have all this money but no one will come. It's been proven in the last few years that if you throw enough money around you can change from a team in obscurity who rarely if ever won anything, to becoming champions of your country and challenging for the champions league, regardless of geographic location.

I honestly think the net we cast has been too small and incompetence at the very top in getting deals done.

• Advertisement

the fact we have Van Gaal and wages to better almost any other club in Europe makes up for alot of what you just mentioned.

after our departures this summer (around £23million/yr less atm), we can sign 3 players on 150k a week and still be within our projected wage bill for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah agree completely here, as much as we talk about defensive concerns we haven't been too great at making the most of our possession.

I think in previous years even when we might have shaky moments in the backs we always scored enough goals to ensure we got the points.

adox wrote: »
    I don't really buy that we have all this money but no one will come. It's been proven in the last few years that if you throw enough money around you can change from a team in obscurity who rarely if ever won anything, to becoming champions of your country and challenging for the champions league.

I honestly think the net we cast has been too small and incompetence at the very top in getting deals done.

It's a little of column A and column B I think. Why didn't we bid for Cesc this summer? Why did City get Mangala instead of us.

Surely Van Gaal rates these players and for sure they would massively improve our team. We were strongly linked to both and didn't get either. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

adox wrote: »
    I don't really buy that we have all this money but no one will come. It's been proven in the last few years that if you throw enough money around you can change from a team in obscurity who rarely if ever won anything, to becoming champions of your country and challenging for the champions league.

Totally agree, we to need stop crying poor us, no one wants to come here, Liverpool are our neighbours and have no problem signing players, you can argue that those signings aren't good enough, but I think that's part of our problem, we need to widen the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

We are in danger of entering a vicious circle. The club is at a crossroads.

Can a vicious circle have crossroads ?

twam2008 wrote: »
    Totally agree, we to need stop crying poor us, no one wants to come here, Liverpool are our neighbours and have no problem signing players, you can argue that those signings aren't good enough, but I think that's part of our problem, we need to widen the net.

They aren't good enough though. Liverpools signings aren't the benchmark, City and Chelseas are.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Havn't been on since 10.30, read back through the last 4 hours of posts. Need a lie down.

They aren't good enough though. Liverpools signings aren't the benchmark, City and Chelseas are.

There in lies the problem. If we want to compete with City, we have to spend **** loads of money. We will always struggle with Chelsea because they're in London.

They haven't won the title for 24 years...

United have a LOT more money though, and a World Class manager. No chance they'd go that long without next league title. United are just 2/3 signings away from winning it THIS year and the cash is there to do it and the window is still open and good targets identified. Very pessimistic attitude, there's no comparison between United and Liverpool

United have a LOT more money though, and a World Class manager. No chance they'd go that long without next league title. United are just 2/3 signings away from winning it THIS year and the cash is there to do it and the window is still open and good targets identified. Very pessimistic attitude, there's no comparison between United and Liverpool

Really think that's part of the problem, we need to stop turning our noses up at Liverpool, they almost won the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Owen scoring winning goal in injury time against city in 2009 on MUTV just now... my god how sweet that was.

There in lies the problem. If we want to compete with City, we have to spend **** loads of money. We will always struggle with Chelsea because they're in London.

We have spent a lot of money already though. I don't mind us spending over the odds for players. We have already done that for Herrera, Mata, Shaw and Fellaini.

Some good players there but only time will tell if any of them are worth anywhere near what we paid.

We still need 3 world class players to have any chance of competing and easily achieving top 4. It's still going to take time for players to settle and for the youth prospects to develop.

I have faith in Van Gaal but all faith in our transfers is long gone.

Really think that's part of the problem, we need to stop turning our noses up at Liverpool, they almost won the league.

Almost won the league because they had the best striker in the world in the form of his life with a fairly solid team behind him.

30 goals, 25 assists.

They won't do it this season.

Almost won the league because they had the best striker in the world in the form of his life with a fairly solid team behind him. They won't do it this season.

No European football can't be understated, that's why United can do it this year

Almost won the league because they had the best striker in the world in the form of his life with a fairly solid team behind him.

And because they got the right manager who got the best out of his team, time will tell with regards to the quality of the players he's signed this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

No European football can't be understated, that's why United can do it this year

Like UTD this year Liverpool had a shaky enough defence last year. Unlike UTD this year Liverpool had some quality in midfield with pace and an ability to make effective use of possession last year. Their title charge cannot simply be put down to the fact that they had no European football to contend with.

jaykay74 wrote: »

Skip to 3:50 -

irishfeen wrote: »
    Owen scoring winning goal in injury time against city in 2009 on MUTV just now... my god how sweet that was.

i missed two games in 12 months at old trafford in 2009, that was one of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

jaykay74 wrote: »

If I could thank this twice I would, genius!

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Like UTD this year Liverpool had a shaky enough defence last year. Unlike UTD this year Liverpool had some quality in midfield with pace and an ability to make effective use of possession last year. Their title charge cannot simply be put down to the fact that they had no European football to contend with.

I'm not, read my post in saying it shouldn't be understated though, it meant a massive squad isn't needed, you had Cissoko, Moses, Alberto, Aspas playing league games and 2nd was still possible. United's squad is better, they have lost more players than they've bought but that's ok as this single season they can focus on a small squad, make a run at the league, and buy next summer for CL football again.

United should be looking at this season as a huge opportunity, but there's a lot of pessimism around. Personally I'd prefer United than Arsenal or City in the top 4, 2 teams that I think might struggle this season, along with Liverpool who won't be scoring 100 goals + this year.

Chelsea I feel are a step above, and a shoe-in for top 4, but it's going to be incredibly competitive after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

If I could thank this twice I would, genius!

Dunno is it my GPS or what but I can't find the vicious circle next to the crossroads at all??

Ah some of the stuff in the last few pages is just hilarious!!!!!

Regardless of deficiencies in the team/squad if a player like Di Maria is available we need to go get him... Double edged sword, not only is he a fantastic dribbler that can provide assist but it also sends the message that we can still land the top players, gives us more pull in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Almost won the league because they had the best striker in the world [edit]PL last season, well rested after having an extended summer break due to suspension and no European games,[/edit] in the form of his life with a fairly solid team behind him.

30 goals, 25 assists.

No need to embellish the truth to make your point.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

i missed two games in 12 months at old trafford in 2009, that was one of them :(
    Haha that's just sick...

I'm not, read my post in saying it shouldn't be understated though, it meant a massive squad isn't needed, you had Cissoko, Moses, Alberto, Aspas playing league games and 2nd was still possible. United's squad is better, they have lost more players than they've bought but that's ok as this single season they can focus on a small squad, make a run at the league, and buy next summer for CL football again.

United should be looking at this season as a huge opportunity, but there's a lot of pessimism around. Personally I'd prefer United than Arsenal or City in the top 4, 2 teams that I think might struggle this season, along with Liverpool who won't be scoring 100 goals + this year.

Chelsea I feel are a step above, and a shoe-in for top 4, but it's going to be incredibly competitive after that!

None of those teams have the glaring weakness in midfield that we have. We now also have that weakness in defence. We will seriously struggle for top 4 again this season without more central midfield and center back signings.

I feel Chelsea, City and Arsenal are 100% top 4 guarantees leaving us to battle it out with Liverpool and Spurs for 4th. Yes we're one of those fringe teams now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Skip to 3:50 -

7 minutes of Zapp Brannigan quotes. This thread just got 1000 times better.

"Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love: hard and fast."

• Advertisement

None of those teams have the glaring weakness in midfield that we have. We now also have that weakness in defence. We will seriously struggle for top 4 again this season without more central midfield and center back signings.

I feel Chelsea, City and Arsenal are 100% top 4 guarantees leaving us to battle it out with Liverpool and Spurs for 4th. Yes we're one of those fringe teams now.

So you can see that a fringe team can make a title challenge then?

It's wide open this year

Liverpool were a far better team last season than we are currently and all of those teams have improved this season with the exception of Liverpool as has been seen before with the likes of spurs and even us. 3-4 mediocre players do not make up for 1 outstanding one.

It's far from wide open. Chelsea, City and Arsenal have far better teams than us and we don't have the best manager in the world anymore to make up for that.

Liverpool were a far better team last season than we are currently and all of those teams have improved this season with the exception of Liverpool as has been seen before with the likes of spurs and even us. 3-4 mediocre players do not make up for 1 outstanding one.

It's far from wide open. Chelsea, City and Arsenal have far better teams than us and we don't have the best manager in the world anymore to make up for that.

United have strengthened more than Spurs have. 100%.

Which 3/4 of Liverpool's 8 signings are the mediocre ones? What are the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

So you can see that a fringe team can make a title challenge then?

It's wide open this year

Wide open between City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Zico wrote: »
    Wide open between City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

I think you're underestimating Chelsea

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement