Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wasn't including Spurs in that list.

There is no doubt Chelsea and Arsenal have vastly improved their squads over the last 2 years though and City have strengthened their already strong squad. You could argue that we have a better forward line than Chelsea or Arsenal but as we've seen none of that matters if the midfield can't provide any service to them and the defence gifts easy goals.

Lambert, Lalana, Balotelli are all mediocre players by top level standards. Balotelli has talent sure but the baggage that comes with him lowers his standing and any club that signs him wants rid after 1-2 seasons. Lovren I feel is their best signing and someone we should have been in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool all have better teams than us

Liverpool lost their only world class player but brought in good players in positions they were weak, Lovren, Lallana and Moreno all fit in to that, Sturridge, Balotelli and it's looking like Eto'o are good striker options. I think there's 40 goals between that 3

If we don't buy we are already making it hard for ourselves by being behind all 4 and wanting to displace one of them, we are at least two players away from a top 4 place as it stands IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lordgoat wrote: »
    They never played as wing backs. It was 4 at the back for the second half when Janz came on. He played wide right pretty much.

Didnt Januzaj come on after 20 mins for Lingard and play wing back? It was Nani who came on at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool lost their only world class player but brought in good players in positions they were weak, Lovren, Lallana and Moreno all fit in to that, Sturridge, Balotelli and it's looking like Eto'o are good striker options. I think there's 40 goals between that 3

Lambert won't get a look in there! Some great business by Liverpool it has to be said. They're doing a Spurs on it, but it will work out better for them I'd say.

The mind boggles as to what is going on with our transfer policy\situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What's up with this whole thing of arsenal being certain for 3rd?

Is it because they have Sanchez?

We need a beast in central midfield. Vidal fits the mould perfectly and I'd change my tune a little if we manage to get him but it's not looking likely at this stage.

Herrera looked like he struggled badly in the Swansea game. He was invisible at times, got bullied a lot, gave the ball away and was very poor defensively. A far cry from Fabregas's performance for Chelsea but then again he has a better team around him.

It's early days and it will take him time to adapt to the league but we need a bruiser in midfield and another as back up. As you all know Fletch, Cleverly and co are simply not up to scratch and half the team is injured. We need 3 top quality central midfielders and at the moment I'm not sure if we have any.

They have the best midfield in the league and a fairly solid defence. They could challenge for the title, let alone 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

BloodBath wrote: »
    We need a beast in central midfield. Vidal fits the mould perfectly and I'd change my tune a little if we manage to get him but it's not looking likely at this stage.

Herrera looked like he struggled badly in the Swansea game. He was invisible at times, got bullied a lot, gave the ball away and was very poor defensively. A far cry from Fabregas's performance for Chelsea but then again he has a better team around him.

It's early days and it will take him time to adapt to the league but we need a bruiser in midfield and another as back up. As you all know Fletch, Cleverly and co are simply not up to scratch and half the team is injured. We need 3 top quality central midfielders and at the moment I'm not sure if we have any.

Can you give a few examples of these bruiser midfielders ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

A lot of posters will have egg on their face come the end of the season, a lot of Liverpools "mediocre" signings will leave us in the shade.

Can you give a few examples of these bruiser midfielders ?

I'm not talking dirty tacklers, more so strong defensive midfielders who aren't cack in other areas. We need someone with some pace and intelligence with willingness to tackle and look for the ball.

There is still no link between defence and attack and we end up resorting to hoof ball tactics or playing down the wings.

Despite Fergies claims that he never played with defensive midfielders, he did. Keane, Hargreaves, Carrick are all considered to be defensive midfielders.

I don't think Fellaini has the pace or intelligence to play this role effectively and carrick is injured for several months. We need to sign at least 1 this season.

Yes I know vidal is not a defensive midfielder but he is pretty strong in all areas. We can lament the loss of pogba forever as he is the missing link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I don't think its certain they will get it but if they can get all their players injury free they have a makings of a top 3 side,

I think Utd find themselves in a position similar to Arsenals a few years back,fans calling for big name signings but Wenger went out and got the likes of Arteta and also got Mertesacker,both good solid buys who settled the team down.

Utd now it looks like need to make similar signings,I would take Nigel De Jong for a start he would be a good addition to the CM options.

beno619 wrote: »
    A lot of posters will have egg on their face come the end of the season, a lot of Liverpools "mediocre" signings will leave us in the shade.

They may well leave us in the shade but City, Chelsea and Arsenal? I doubt it.

We should be building a team who can win the league in 1-2 years, not one that can scrape 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Its a pity Matic is at Chelsea, he's exactly the type of player we need right now.

Yep Matic is a good example of the type of strong defensive mid we need. City have been snapping up strong defensive mids as well.

Fernando and Fernandinho while not world class are very solid defensive midfielders and an integral part of their teams strong midfields.

Arsenal are the weakest in this area from the top 3 with Arteta converted to that role and Flamini as back up, neither player is bad at this role though.

They may well leave us in the shade but City, Chelsea and Arsenal? I doubt it.

We should be building a team who can win the league in 1-2 years, not one that can scrape 4th.

Who knows, I just think we've been way to critical of their business, while there's still a gaping hole in our midfield.

I agree with regards to squad building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bookmarked for laughs later, a lot of Liverpools average signings will certainly not have us in the shade. In fact would you like a match bet on it, who will finish in front United or Liverpool? Ill have a bet on it with you if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe. I'd say it might take a year or 2 for the likes of Markovic to prove themselves, Lalanna and Lovren should settle in pretty quickly buy you never know. With Liverpool it's more about the collective and buying potential. Henderson was pretty mediocre for 2 seasons but proved invaluable last season. I don't think Uniteds support are prepared for more signings like that though, Shaw was huge money already.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

kryogen wrote: »
    Bookmarked for laughs later, a lot of Liverpools average signings will certainly not have us in the shade. In fact would you like a match bet on it, who will finish in front United or Liverpool? Ill have a bet on it with you if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is?

How about an ice bucket challenge, with all money to ALS. 5 or below, and 4 or above. Two teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Just as a matter of interest, who are the average signings Liverpool have made?

Bearing in mind Lambert is a £4 million 3rd choice back up.

• Advertisement

No I won't put money on Pool over United. We're in no position to look down on their signings.

Glad you got a laugh out of it tho.

Fescue wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, who are the average signings Liverpool have made?

Bearing in mind Lambert is a £4 million 3rd choice back up.

Em, its easier for me to say, all of them. Not one of the signings is actually that impressive in fairness, Lovren is good because of how weak the defence was. All the others are either average, very risky or potential.

Mata and Kagawa are better than Lalana, yes he's mediocre.

He'll be lucky to even get in the first team with Sterling and Coutinho competing for similar positions.

No I won't put money on Pool over United. We're in no position to look down on their signings.

Glad you got a laugh out of it tho.

Thanks, I will hopefully remember to get a bigger laugh out of it later in the season when Liverpools amazing signings like Lallana and Markovic somehow fail to propel them with the same impetus as Suarez

How about a forum access bet then if you don't wanna put money on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lalalana for 25m was madness.He isn't even an improvement on what was already at the club.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Lalalana for 25m was madness.He isn't even an improvement on what was already at the club.

They are just filling the squad which they needed to do with champions league this year. I think Lalana will struggle to make the starting 11 with the way Sterling is playing. Coutinho has also improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This is still the Man Utd thread right?

That doesn't mean we can't compare our transfer activity to other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They are just filling the squad which they needed to do with champions league this year. I think Lalana will struggle to make the starting 11 with the way Sterling is playing. Coutinho has also improved.

Filling the squad with a 25m player is crazy when you consider Liverpool's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

That doesn't mean we can't compare our transfer activity to other clubs.

Exactly and since the consensus seems to be that it's between United and Liverpool for the final Champions League spot, do Liverpools 9 "average" signings put them in a better position to finish ahead of United and their 3 "average" signings?

Thanks, I will hopefully remember to get a bigger laugh out of it later in the season when Liverpools amazing signings like Lallana and Markovic somehow fail to propel them with the same impetus as Suarez

How about a forum access bet then if you don't wanna put money on it?

Ahh your grand, you can go ahead and bookmark my post though.

Come the end if the season hopefully we'll all be having a good laugh at my expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Jaysus that medical is going on for hours - he musn't be able to piss in the cup

yabadabado wrote: »
    Filling the squad with a 25m player is crazy when you consider Liverpool's budget.

Sure but 25m buys you very little these days apart from some great deals like Fabregas, Kroos etc.

He's still going to get used in rotation and injury replacement. You need talent on the bench.

It's grand we have game changers like Young and Valencia on the bench why would we want average players like Lallana.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

3 points absolutely crucial tomorrow - we cannot let Chelsea et al pull away too far before the league even gets going.

Valencia and Young are not bad bench options, the problem is we're forced into using them in the first team far too often.

We have 3 better players in Lalanas position already.

Ahh your grand, you can go ahead and bookmark my post though.

Come the end if the season hopefully we'll all be having a good laugh at my expense.

I am confident anyway :) We all want the same thing of course, the club to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chelsea?

More like Everton and Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Chelsea?

More like Everton and Spurs.
    Well I did say Et al .... :)

It's grand we have game changers like Young and Valencia on the bench why would we want average players like Lallana.

Exactly, we have enough players like Lallana in Young and Valencia! What we need is better then that. It is easier to sign average players obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca seems to believe that United will be signing Di Maria.
    They say his fate looks likely to lie in the premier league with Manchester United, with United prepared to pay €70 million for Angel.

Ancelotti dropping Di Maria and Khedira from the match day squad was seen as the final nail in the coffin for their RM careers, Marca goes onto say they were dropped much to the disbelief of their team mates whom went onto lose the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    Marca seems to believe that United will be signing Di Maria.
    They say his fate looks likely to lie in the premier league with Manchester United, with United prepared to pay €70 million for Angel.

Ancelotti dropping Di Maria and Khedira from the match day squad was seen as the final nail in the coffin for their RM careers, Marca goes onto say they were dropped much to the disbelief of their team mates whom went onto lose the match.

Are Marca no normally full of sh*te though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They are seen as the mouthpiece of Real Madrid. If Madrid wants something in the media, Marca is the most reliable source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

They're a bit of a mixed bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It's good to see the same united fans who kept telling everyone that Liverpool would run out if steam last season and united would get 4th comment in how poor the Liverpool signings are. Calms my worries a bit. I hope the united board are as confident.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It's good to see the same united fans who kept telling everyone that Liverpool would run out if steam last season and united would get 4th comment in how poor the Liverpool signings are. Calms my worries a bit. I hope the united board are as confident.

But Liverpool did run out of steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

He'll be lucky to even get in the first team with Sterling and Coutinho competing for similar positions.

Don't think Lallana was bought with Sterling or Couthinhos position in mind. Instead to partner Henderson as protection for Gerrard.

Gerrard
    Henderson Lallana.

I'd say he'll also rotate with Couthinho who for some of the class games he has mixes it with the average performances.

Apologies for taking Utd thread off topic

If we buy Di Maria then that's the end of any 3-4-1-2 plans that Van Gaal has. It's probably for the best anyway as we don't have the squad to play that formation constantly anyway. 1-2 injuries means we can't use it and Di Maria does not fit into it at all. ( As well as a lot of our current squad )

How good is Sami Khedira? Could he solve our defensive midfield woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

FutureGuy wrote: »

Not to fall out of the top 4. And besides losing 1 game and drawing another not exactly running on empty. Tactically naive you can have if it makes you feel better about uniteds season last year. I know I took comfort from small things like that when you guys were finishing above us year after year. Not that I'm comparing 1 year to that but the way some of the fans in this thread act...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

FutureGuy wrote: »

Did they? 1 loss in 2014 is running out of steam? Against Chelsea???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement