Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

BloodBath wrote: »
    If we buy Di Maria then that's the end of any 3-4-1-2 plans that Van Gaal has. It's probably for the best anyway as we don't have the squad to play that formation constantly anyway. 1-2 injuries means we can't use it and Di Maria does not fit into it at all. ( As well as a lot of our current squad )

How good is Sami Khedira? Could he solve our defensive midfield woes.
    Khedira would be an excellent signing ,I think himself and Herrera could make a very good cm partnership.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Not to fall out of the top 4. And besides losing 1 game and drawing another not exactly running on empty. Tactically naive you can have if it makes you feel better about uniteds season last year. I know I took comfort from small things like that when you guys were finishing above us year after year. Not that I'm comparing 1 year to that but the way some of the fans in this thread act...

Why would United fans want to feel better about last season ,everyone knows it was a shambles.No onw will try to hide that.

How are fans acting in this thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yeah from what I believe Marca are very much linked with RM - it is interesting to note that with the signings we have made so far there has been no leaks from United, it's always the foreign papers reporting on stories ... The regular British journalists just don't have a clue what United are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It's good to see the same united fans who kept telling everyone that Liverpool would run out if steam last season and united would get 4th comment in how poor the Liverpool signings are. Calms my worries a bit. I hope the united board are as confident.

Nobody said the signings were poor, they just aren't great and you will struggle to do as well as ye did last season. 0 chance of winning it imo.

With our current squad you will definitely be strong competition. The season is long and injuries could decide the outcome but with ye playing CL this year and us having a full weeks rest I can see us pushing ye close.

If we manage to get a couple of big or even decent signings before the window closes I think we can pip ye to 4th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Nobody said the signings were poor, they just aren't great and you will struggle to do as well as ye did last season. 0 chance of winning it imo.

With our current squad you will definitely be strong competition. The season is long and injuries could decide the outcome but with ye playing CL this year and us having a full weeks rest I can see us pushing ye close.

If we manage to get a couple of big or even decent signings before the window closes I think we can pip ye to 4th.

Lovren, Balotelli, Moreno, Lallana, Can, Manquillo, Lambert. Of those signings, which have you seen enough of and can categorically say they aren't good enough to perform the roles that will be asked of them this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lovren, Balotelli, Moreno, Lallana, Can, Manquillo, Lambert. Of those signings, which have you seen enough of and can categorically say they aren't good enough to perform the roles that will be asked of them this season?

maybe continue here ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057258077

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

jaykay74 wrote: »

The Man U versus Liverpool thread setup by Orange is another. Fallen strangely silent recently.

jaykay74 wrote: »

Sorry, I was replying to a post in this thread. I thought that was allowed.

It's a mixed bag. Lovren will definitely improve your defence and I can see ye playing a more balanced type of football this season rather than just trying to outscore your opponents so you should not leak anywhere near as much at the back.

Balotelli is a talented striker but is also a liability at times. Could be a masterstroke but equally could be a huge failure that ye look to offload next year.

I haven't seen much of Moreno, Can and Manquillo so can't comment on them but overall they should improve your defensive options and are young enough to improve.

Lambert will be lucky to get any game time, maybe in the mickey mouse cups and injury cover. He's decent back up, nothing more. I'd take Welbeck over him any day.

Anyway that's enough Liverpool talk for this thread, sorry about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

With our current squad you will definitely be strong competition...

...If we manage to get a couple of big or even decent signings before the window closes I think we can pip ye to 4th.

Good to see the delusion is still strong. Liverpool have been improving consistently since Rodgers arrived and are far more than the 1 man team most of you think. This is the likely Man Utd team tomorrow-the actual real-life best team available to put out, without your imaginary Di Marias, Vidals or Khediras, and you should thank the gods they're not headed to Anfield, Stamford Bridge or the Etihad where they'd get tonked by 4 or 5.

c66f3630-7cf2-4144-b59c-931855810cde-368x420.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sabat wrote: »
    Good to see the delusion is still strong. Liverpool have been improving consistently since Rodgers arrived and are far more than the 1 man team most of you think. This is the likely Man Utd team tomorrow-the actual real-life best team available to put out, without your imaginary Di Marias, Vidals or Khediras, and you should thank the gods they're not headed to Anfield, Stamford Bridge or the Etihad where they'd get tonked by 4 or 5.

lets take 8 or 9 first team players out of yer squad through injury and see how ye would cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Sorry, I was replying to a post in this thread. I thought that was allowed.

Did I say it wasn't allowed :confused:

I was suggesting a better home for the discussion not telling you what you can or can't do but work away with Liverpool chat!

Which of those can you categorically say are good enough to play in a team that can win the league :eek:

Liverpool have signed crap and will be lucky to get top ten.Is that what you want people to post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Too much Liverpool chat is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Coleman is a monster at RB.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Which of those can you categorically say are good enough to play in a team that can win the league :eek:

Liverpool have signed crap and will be lucky to get top ten.Is that what you want people to post?

Lovren, Moreno and Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Coleman is a monster at RB.

unless he pushes for a move I can't see Everton selling, even for all of king Midas' silver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yabadabado wrote: »
    Khedira would be an excellent signing ,I think himself and Herrera could make a very good cm partnership.

I actually think you could be right, they could be a very good combination as much as I feel Khedira has his limitations. They could be a good foil for each other.

sabat wrote: »

We won't be playing that formation tomorrow I think. We'll get crucified playing Jan and Young as wide backs. Van Gaal switched to 4-4-2 early in the last game when it wasn't working. Could see James starting at left back with Young playing left wing and Jan playing right. Right back could go to Smalling, Rafael or Valencia.

I'd say a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 is more likely with Van persie starting on the bench and coming on as a sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Where am I? United or Liverpool thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Quahog217

Anyone else really worried about tomorrow, with all our injuries and lack of midfielders it could be another loss im afraid.

We really need to pick up some decent points over the next 5 games or so before we start playing the bigger teams, other wise top 4 could be a struggle and no top 4 would be a disaster.

Don't get me wrong im not panicing yet just hoping we start to click soon and get some quality players in aswell.

kryogen wrote: »
    I actually think you could be right, they could be a very good combination as much as I feel Khedira has his limitations. They could be a good foil for each other.

Khedira is limited but he has a lot of attributes that we badly need in midfield. He would be a good upgrade on Carrick.Khedira woukd offer a very solid base in midfield ,protect the defense,win/retain possession and get the simple passes to the attacking players.He would allow Herrera and Mata more freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If we buy Di Maria then that's the end of any 3-4-1-2 plans that Van Gaal has. It's probably for the best anyway as we don't have the squad to play that formation constantly anyway. 1-2 injuries means we can't use it and Di Maria does not fit into it at all. ( As well as a lot of our current squad )

How good is Sami Khedira? Could he solve our defensive midfield woes.

I'd take Khedira as he'd be a big improvement on what we have but I don't think Di Maria is so good LVG is going to change his formation to accomodate him. LVG isn't going to drop Van Persie or Rooney, now he's made him captain, so if Di Maria comes it'll be at Mata's expense as far as I can see.

How will Ed Woodward feel about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

how many times has it to be stated that van gaal is playing 352 because we don't have good enough wingers for 433, he's said it himself like. Di Maria is even one of the wingers he name dropped.

We don't have good enough wide backs to play 3-5-2 either though or enough CB cover to play 3 at the back as well as trying to pigeonhole mediocre wingers into a far tougher wide back role.

Glad we aren't playing at Goodison any time soon. Everton would be another team we have to catch up on.

Really should have been more active this window.

We don't have good enough wide backs to play 3-5-2 either though or enough CB cover to play 3 at the back as well as trying to pigeonhole mediocre wingers into a far tougher wide back role.

I think Rafa would be very well suited to the WB position.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Glad we aren't playing at Goodison any time soon. Everton would be another team we have to catch up on.

Arsenal losing is reason to be cheerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how many times has it to be stated that van gaal is playing 352 because we don't have good enough wingers for 433, he's said it himself like. Di Maria is even one of the wingers he name dropped.

i hope tomorrow is the last time we see 3-5-2 this year, its a formation that gives me nightmares for further in the season when we play the big teams.

• Advertisement

twam2008 wrote: »

Why?

Why?

If you don't know there's not much point in me explaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apoloiges if already posted, but Rachel Riley did the ice bucket challenge at Old trafford a couple of days back..

BvbOFXSIgAAx1eA.jpg:large

full video here -

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/RachelRileyRR/view/17199123

tis an awful pity she didnt swap tops with your man in white before hand tho...

If you don't know there's not much point in me explaining.

Everton are a team we are competing against as well.

Not really, Everton are more of a threat to our 4th place finish than Arsenal are. They will be ahead regardless.

I also have Ramsey and Chambers in my FPL team and no Everton players so I'm definitely not happy :)

352, 532, whatever you wanna call it can be devastating when used correctly, but it does take the right players, of which I don't think we have. The defensive shape we have had in our games with it has been very poor also, whether that is down to the coaching or the players not getting it yet I don't know, but for me it makes it a non viable tactic going forward for the season.

He does seem keen to keep it though, for now at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If we manage to get Di Maria (big, almost impossible if...) then even though I know Van Gaal said he doesn't build his teams around one player, I think it's enough of a reason to switch to 4-3-3.

I think threatening pace on the counter would go a long way to solving some of our problems. If you have Di Maria and Valencia/Januzaj up front, the defences of most of the weaker teams might be more wary of pushing up so then their pressing game may be less intense which would help United hugely since we can't seem to handle the slightest bit of pressure.
    De Gea

Does - It - Really - Matter?

Herrera - Mata - Fletcher

Valencia - Van Persie - Di Maria

Of course, if we don't get Di Maria, that formation is defunct with someone like Young taking his place and all hope is lost.

I would consider Arsenal a higher placed threat than Everton so I enjoy the fact that they are losing. If it doesn't please you that's fair enough.

Welbeck could be a good wing forward I think, but he may not be interested in the role.

Also, to J. Marston, no way Rooney will be dropped this season, he is captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Probably should have been more active 2 summers ago and got the starting 11 sorted,instead of prolonging the careers of Giggs and getting Scholes out of retirement,everyone else has moved on Utd have stood still.

But there is another week to go in this window,hopefully this time next week there will be a couple of new signings on board.

J. Marston wrote: »
    If we manage to get Di Maria (big, almost impossible if...) then even though I know Van Gaal said he doesn't build his teams around one player, I think it's enough of a reason to switch to 4-3-3.

I think threatening pace on the counter would go a long way to solving some of our problems. If you have Di Maria and Valencia/Januzaj up front, the defences of most of the weaker teams might be more wary of pushing up so then their pressing game may be less intense which would help United hugely since we can't seem to handle the slightest bit of pressure.
    De Gea

Does - It - Really - Matter?

Herrera - Mata - Fletcher

Valencia - Van Persie - Di Maria

Of course, if we don't get Di Maria, that formation is defunct with someone like Young taking his place and all hope is lost.

Not one of those midfielders is defensively strong. We would still get fupped.

4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 is still our most viable formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Welbeck could be a good wing forward I think, but he may not be interested in the role.

Also, to J. Marston, no way Rooney will be dropped this season, he is captain.

Van Persie is just my preferred option. It would be Rooney in reality.

Im beginning to think the glazers wont spend the money we need to rebuild the squad. With all the huge sponsorship deals being signed we really should be bringing in at least 2 top class players, I don't even care who we get, we need wingers, centre backs, centre mids and a right back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There is not nearly as much of a gap between the squads of United, Liverpool and Arsenal as a lot of fans on here think. The important difference is that United are currently going through big changes, with the new manager changing the formation and implementing his methods at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For the last while, I read the thread like this:
    4042_a362_500.gif

Maybe but we're currently in transition between 3 mangers signings and ideas on how to play resulting in a disjointed squad that barely has a good starting 11 for any one of those formations.

The piss poor midfield is the main problem at the moment.

We should break the bank for Di Maria and Khedira before someone else does.

Vidal and Khedira would be even better imo for a 4-3-3 giving us a midfield of Vidal, Khedira and Herrera with a forward line of Rooney, Van Persie and Mata.

Problem solved. If only it was that easy. And yes none of that forward line has much pace but what can you do. Offload Van Persie next season and get a pacey wide player.

Maybe but we're currently in transition between 3 mangers signings and ideas on how to play resulting in a disjointed squad that barely has a good starting 11 for any one of those formations.

The piss poor midfield is the main problem at the moment.

We should break the bank for Di Maria and Khedira before someone else does.

Yeah, it doesn't matter what formation we go with. We will still suffer because we don't have the right players in midfield. Why on earth have they not strengthened that area? It should have been panic stations when carrick got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Where am I? United or Liverpool thread?

Liverpool fans on the internet, man. It's like they have a bat signal that they throw up whenever they find a post that they are offended by. Suddenly there's a host of them ready to defend the club. No post is too innocuous. It's the Liverpool way.

Quahog217 wrote: »
    Im beginning to think the glazers wont spend the money we need to rebuild the squad. With all the huge sponsorship deals being signed we really should be bringing in at least 2 top class players, I don't even care who we get, we need wingers, centre backs, centre mids and a right back!!!!

Money is pretty clearly not the issue tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Should have tried o get Gareth Barry on a free he is dominating the Arsenal midfield.

Money is pretty clearly not the issue tbh

What exactly is the issue though? We clearly need players, is van gaal over confident in the ability of some of the players or is that no players will come because of the lack of champions league? or is it that ed woodward cant do his job properly?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement