Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

BloodBath wrote: »
    Maybe but we're currently in transition between 3 mangers signings and ideas on how to play resulting in a disjointed squad that barely has a good starting 11 for any one of those formations.

The piss poor midfield is the main problem at the moment.

We should break the bank for Di Maria and Khedira before someone else does.

Vidal and Khedira would be even better imo for a 4-3-3 giving us a midfield of Vidal, Khedira and Herrera with a forward line of Rooney, Van Persie and Mata.

Problem solved. If only it was that easy. And yes none of that forward line has much pace but what can you do. Offload Van Persie next season and get a pacey wide player.

We have good starting 11s. Contrary to what has become widely accepted Jones, Smalling and Evans are not bad CBs. Carrick and Hererra is much better than Gerrard and Allen/Henderson/Can/Lucas, so our midfield isn't that bad. Our striker options and GK are better than Liverpool and Arsenal's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    First we have Marca, Madrid's mouthpiece, this morning with headlines of Di Maria and Khedira being unhappy and certain to leave the club. Then we have Balague, a none bullshíter who spins stories to ingratiate himself with Spanish chairmen, announcing that United are close to sealing the deal with Di Maria. This smells very strongly of Madrid bullshít.

what? they are meeting mendes for a final time this week for final talks and its already been agreed he will wear the no7 shirt... this is very much a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

magnumbud wrote: »

di maria played that position for madrid most of last season including the cl final and was fantastic so no reason he couldn't do it
    Zico wrote: »
    So we're breaking our transfer record to shoehorn a winger into CM?

Are you serious?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Who cares, let's get excited!

https://vine.co/v/hQFqeHXUUTv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

sky sports reported it actually

It must be true then. Sky Sports. It's definitely gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Quick everyone, make hypothetical starting 11's!

I'm on it!

Van Der Gouw
    --Stam
    Blackett--
    ----Neville
    Vidic

Fergie
    Giggs

Rooney
    Keano

Adrian Chiles

Di Maria

I think the flying V formation will work best and Chiles and Di Marias strong relationship will lead to a killer attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

About 15 minutes worth of drawing on MS Paint with my GF asking "What the fúck are you drawing?".

So I show her a picture of him.

"You're sad."

Don't worry, Kate understands better than your gf ever will.

5213.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheTownie wrote: »
    Office Vine

How'd you get footage from Woodward's office :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bangkok wrote: »
    what? they are meeting mendes for a final time this week for final talks and its already been agreed he will wear the no7 shirt... this is very much a done deal

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We have good starting 11s. Contrary to what has become widely accepted Jones, Smalling and Evans are not bad CBs. Carrick and Hererra is much better than Gerrard and Allen/Henderson/Can/Lucas, so our midfield isn't that bad. Our striker options and GK are better than Liverpool and Arsenal's.

I never said anything about the defence. I'm happy enough with what has been done there providing we are playing 2 CB's and not 3. If we are playing 3 we need to buy another.

Carrick is out for several months and is getting to an age where he should be replaced. We need a top quality defensive mid this window and yes our midfield is that bad, definitely worse than Liverpools.

Liverpool aren't the benchmark for our team either, Chelsea and City are. Even Arsenal. Look at their midfields.

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »

De Gea
    Rafa---Evans
    jones/rojo/smalling--shaw
    carrick/fletcher/fellaini/new CM

Herrera
    di maria
    mata

rooney ---rvp

di maria played that position for madrid most of last season including the cl final and was fantastic so no reason he couldn't do it

He still did most of his best work by drifting wide and Madrid, unlike United had insane pace playing ahead of him so the formation was very flexible and quite prone to playing deep sitting counter attack. If we're going to spend gigantic sums of money for a central midfielder, I'd rather buy a central midfielder. Or just play Di Maria in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sorry should have said 70 Million euros.

Either way, one of the best players in the world for 50m is good business. But it will require at least 1 more cm to be a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

This has to be a joke.

We could sign Messi and Ronaldo now and still lose every game because we don't have a commanding defender to lead the defence and reliable ball winner/defensive shield in midfield.

And who loses out, is Mata surplus to requirements after just 8 months?

I thought the modern game was about a strong squad rather than a first eleven?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

How do you know? Because Guilleme Balague said so? Nothing is a done deal until its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

So we're breaking our transfer record to shoehorn a winger into CM?

Are you serious?
    you obviously didnt see him play there for Madrid last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will say what I have been saying all summer.

Ronaldo returns to United in the summer of 2015, Real Madrid will sell as it is the last real opportunity to get lots of dosh for him.

Ronaldo adores the talent of Di Maria and would obviously want him in the team with him if he had the choice. We know he went to Perez last summer to tell him to keep Di Maria and it was reported Ronaldo and Ramos went to Perez again this summer to ask the same.

Di Maria was insulted by the signing of Rodriguez. As Graham Hunter said on Off the Ball, Di Maria is a top 5 player in the world and is a real Ballon Dor contender, and he would put him as the best player at Madrid after Ronaldo.
    Hunter went onto say last week, that Perez risks upsetting the team with the buys he makes and lets be clear, the Madrid fans are very unhappy with how Di Maria has been treated.
    Perez went after Rodriguez not because he was needed - he wasn't but on the premise someone would sign him.

Ronaldo would only advise someone to join United if he saw some benefit in it, because it wouldn't matter to Ronaldo since he isn't playing here, unless he sees the move as a benefit to his own future plans.

Di Maria would be a huge signing and statement of intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

irishfeen wrote: »
    Alex Shaw reliable?

he is only rehashing what Delaney said last 2 weeks (they work together) - 4 players was the intention before window shuts

Rojo
    Di Maria
    Blind
    Vidal

Miguel is spot on so far it looks like ;)

there was a story doing the rounds that LVG wanted to "see" Vidal in action tonight before deciding what to do with him....Vidal starts for Juve apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm on it!

Van Der Gouw
    --Stam
    Blackett--
    ----Neville
    Vidic

Fergie
    Giggs

Rooney
    Keano

Adrian Chiles

Di Maria

I think the flying V formation will work best and Chiles and Di Marias strong relationship will lead to a killer attack.

I F*cking hate Adrian Chiles.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Source?

which source would you like? its breaking news on every sports channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don't like him too but he's whats missing from our team ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

**** it onto the optimistic bus
    Deer-Takes-The-Bus.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sorry should have said 70 Million euros.

Either way, one of the best players in the world for 50m is good business. But it will require at least 1 more cm to be a good move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

People saying that Di Maria can play in midfield. You couldn't make it up. How about signing players who we actually need?

A joke.

We're Manchester United, not Stoke City, yet people are carrying on like the signing of a Real Madrid reject is the Second Coming. Parochial small town stuff.

The club is donald ducked.

same as,got a yellow here a few months back because I called him a .......

How do you know? Because Guilleme Balague said so? Nothing is a done deal until its done.

fine...its 99.9% a done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

People saying that Di Maria can play in midfield. You couldn't make it up. How about signing players who we actually need?

A joke.

We're Manchester United, not Stoke City, yet people are carrying on like the signing of a Real Madrid reject is the Second Coming. Parochial small town stuff.

Have you considered rugby?

What is your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

paulbok wrote: »

Possibly, but we didn't need another winger.

I would have preferred a world class Centre mid and centre defender.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Have you considered rugby?

I reckon they would love in the rugby forum for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

which source would you like? its breaking news on every sports channel...

And they're all using the same source. Are you really that naive?

A joke.

hahahahahhahaha

we are signing a f**king world class player!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Should have tried o get Gareth Barry on a free he is dominating the Arsenal midfield.

I mentioned him at some point over the summer, genuinely would have been ok with him as a stop gap until the fitness of Strootman is assessed

A joke.

calm down man ,that rage will do you no good.

Haven't you got some video tapes to return or something.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

A joke.

You're either lying or you don't watch Spanish football, or indeed Champions League football for that matter. Di Maria has been pushed down the pecking order at Real Madrid, that's true, but you're only displaying your ignorance by labelling him a reject.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A joke.

I don't believe United will finish signing players presuming Di Maria is coming.
    I wouldn't rule Vidal out just yet.

I think LVG is simply putting the jigsaw pieces together and some pieces are simply still missing and he will go for a 4-3-3 formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm on it!

Van Der Gouw
    --Stam
    Blackett--
    ----Neville
    Vidic

Fergie
    Giggs

Rooney
    Keano

Adrian Chiles

Di Maria

Well if it worked for the Mighty Ducks...

I never said anything about the defence. I'm happy enough with what has been done there providing we are playing 2 CB's and not 3. If we are playing 3 we need to buy another.

Carrick is out for several months and is getting to an age where he should be replaced. We need a top quality defensive mid this window.

You think Gerrard isn't getting to the age where he needs to be replaced? Or that he was ever as good as Carrick in central midfield in the first place?
    Liverpool aren't the benchmark for our team either, Chelsea and City are.

I said that there is not nearly as much of a gap between the squads of United, Liverpool and Arsenal as people think and you responded to that by disagreeing with my statement. Who our benchmark should be is a different point entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If Di Maria signs he is the best player at the club i don't see how anybody could not want him. He imo is one of the best players in the world Madrid are nuts.

This this this all day long!!!

One big reason Ronnie has been so outstanding is because other teams have their hands full with Di Maria! He's been outstanding for multiple seasons now...

Agree Madrid are nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's not a coup either as some people are proclaiming. Real couldn't get rid of him fast enough. They simply offered the most money.

Another winger that we don't need.

Where will be play?

Wing back?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

On the proviso that there will be decent CM business done before the window shuts the Di Maria deal is/will be great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

A joke.

Hahaha. Another good one, larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

fine...its 99.9% a done deal

Thats not what I'm saying. You seem to be putting your faith in a journalist who has a reputation for talking out of his arse. I would be amazed if a journalist had all the information he has. Apparently he knows the fee, when the deal will be done, the wages and the number he will wear in the squad. Unless he is currently in the negotiation room himself I think there is a lot of guess work with what he is saying.

We could well be on the verge of signing Di Maria I honestly have no idea but I dont think Balague knows either. I don't like the idea of people taking his word as gospel.

we are about to sign ANGEL DI MARIA our new NO7 and some are still not happy!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ElChe32 wrote: »
    If Ed pulls this off

5181.gif

Pulling off now!!

lol Balague

lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

A joke.

would you be this angry if we signed sami khedira???? hes another real madrid reject :rolleyes:

if we do do it signing di maria does not have any barring on signing anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Guillem Balagué seems to be the Sky Sports source.. christ I guess I won't get my hopes up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement