Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ssn news now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Balague on SSN now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sky really pushing this. Surely it must be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Right, Guilleme Balague has gotten a number of things wrong before, I know that, I've slagged him about that. BUT, he has NEVER gone on live television and sat there and explained why and how the deal is going down, which I am currently watching him do on Sky Sports News.

His reputation is in tatters if this doesn't come through. He's taking that risk and sitting there with a big fat smile on his face.

It's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Where's the De Jong rumors coming from??

I think he would be a great buy. And wouldn't cost too much.

Theres no new rumours. Hes just the type of signing everyone predicts LVG would make on the last day of the window. Another Fellaini type panic buy. He would offer a short term solution to our midfield problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mirror saying LVG wants De Jong - an understandable signing, though I would obviously prefer Vidal.

They are also saying United may appoint a Director of Football - would like to seem some detail on what their job would be; but that would also be understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

So does this put the nail in the "We cant attract big players" coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

BloodBath wrote: »
    He is but Gerrard was always far better than Carrick even though they played different roles for the majority of the careers. He's probably been the most consistent midfielder in the premier league over the past 10 years. They have also lined up replacements for him already. There's a lot of decent youth coming through that Liverpool squad.

Gerrard was never even close to Carrick as a central midfielder. Gerrard was always weak when playing that position, and now that his legs are going he is very poor at it.

I don't even rate Carrick very much, but it doesn't take much to be miles better than Gerrard in CM.
    Maybe at the end on the window that will be true but at this moment in time Arsenal are miles ahead of us. Our forward line is useless without a solid midfield. It's better to have a mediocre forward line and a strong midfield than the other way around. They are really only missing a top striker and maybe a top defensive mid.

We are missing far more than that.

Their midfield isn't solid, they've been open to being caught on the counter for years and signing Flamini didn't fix it. Our forward line is not useless with this midfield, far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Right, Guilleme Balague has gotten a number of things wrong before, I know that, I've slagged him about that. BUT, he has NEVER gone on live television and sat there and explained why and how the deal is going down, which I am currently watching him do on Sky Sports News.

His reputation is in tatters if this doesn't come through. He's taking that risk and sitting there with a big fat smile on his face.

It's happening.

ive never seen sky back a transfer rumour so much either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If this happens does it mean the end of 352?

Not necessarily
    ElChe32 wrote: »
    Vidal back in Juve's team for tonight..

Vidal is a pipe dream, always was imo. If by some miracle the club signed both himself and Di Maria I think I would faint.
    Is Ballague any more reliable these days, or does he still talk complete and utter bollocks?

No, still speaks out both sides of his mouth and I genuinely wish I had his job.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    First we have Marca, Madrid's mouthpiece, this morning with headlines of Di Maria and Khedira being unhappy and certain to leave the club. Then we have Balague, a none bullshíter who spins stories to ingratiate himself with Spanish chairmen, announcing that United are close to sealing the deal with Di Maria. This smells very strongly of Madrid bullshít.

It smells of trying to force PSG's hand alright.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    you obviously didnt see him play there for Madrid last season.

Di Maria is not what we need in central midfield, he cannot play the role required. Its comparing apples and oranges tbh
    It's not a coup either as some people are proclaiming. Real couldn't get rid of him fast enough. They simply offered the most money.

Another winger that we don't need.

Where will be play?

Wing back?

I would argue that actually he is a winger we do need if we are hoping to play with wingers, he can also operate as a striker in the 352 formation, or the number 10, being a trequartista, whatever. He alone does not solve the most crucial problem of course.
    bangkok wrote: »
    known bull****ter how?

5 examples please

Seriously? google Balague. Bull****. Have you just started following sports media actually?
    Blatter wrote: »
    Daniel Taylor says the club are positive with regards Di Maria deal after latest round of talks. Ian Ladyman going a bit further and saying United think he will sign.

If they seemed a bit more clued in this summer I would be more inclined to believe them, as it is they don't change much for me, I am still pretty sceptical here.
    Didnt Balague say we had a deposit on Falcao?

Think we transferred it over to Koke last summer so still there all we have to do is pull the trigger whenever we want him.............yep.

Bit surprised how much traction this has gotten considering the sources, but interested to see how it plays out. Particularly how he would be utilised and surely it means a proper centre midfielder is also coming to allow Di Maria and his ilk to do their thing or else its a bit like only doing half a job. The permutations are many of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Mirror saying LVG wants De Jong - an understandable signing, though I would obviously prefer Vidal.

They are also saying United may appoint a Director of Football - would like to seem some detail on what their job would be; but that would also be understandable.
    The mirror is singly the worst for making things up...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk that Blind will be signing next week too.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

It's happening.

He actually has, he did it last year in fact :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RobertKK wrote: »

From where? (i.e source, not Ajax :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Di Maria must be as good as done now.

Cocks out lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Surely that means no Vidal then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Ballague looked way too confident over the di maria story of him signing with us. It must be happening. If this turns out to be false and di maria stays or goes elsewhere ballague will be in shatters. Career as journo will literally be over.But i have a good feeling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Di Maria must be as good as done now.

Cocks out lads.

Haha i love this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm surprised Irish Psychics Live haven't started contributing transfer rumours at this stage. They're about as credible as most of the sources that are getting quoted these days.

• Advertisement

ok 5 examples was too many for you maybe, can you give me 3?

I'm not going to give you any examples. I don't follow transfer gossip that closely and even I have seen more than enough evidence that Balague is a spoofer. The lads on here who do follow the gossip closely have shown this many times, but you managed to miss it all. Maybe you need a post directed at you personally before you notice anything. You're loss.

Carry on with your demands for evidence, you are making yourself look like a complete gobshíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kryogen wrote: »
    He actually has, he did it last year in fact :)

over who?

I'm not going to give you any examples. I don't follow transfer gossip that closely and even I have seen more than enough evidence that Balague is a spoofer. The lads on here who do follow the gossip closely have shown this many times, but you managed to miss it all. Maybe you need a post directed at you personally before you notice anything. You're loss.

Carry on with your demands for evidence, you are making yourself look like a complete gobshíte.

ok so you cant show me many examples, but yet i could show you a load of examples where balague actually broke the news story of many other transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

yabadabado wrote: »
    Gerrard was a very good player when he played behind the striker but he was never a top class CM imo.Alonso was the best CM liverpool had in the last ten years.

I meant over the last 10 years not in the last 10 years. Of course Alonso was better. I also disagree with you hey we all have an opinion. I know people love to hate Gerrard on here :)
    Gerrard was never even close to Carrick as a central midfielder. Gerrard was always weak when playing that position, and now that his legs are going he is very poor at it.

I don't even rate Carrick very much, but it doesn't take much to be miles better than Gerrard in CM.

Their midfield isn't solid, they've been open to being caught on the counter for years and signing Flamini didn't fix it. Our forward line is not useless with this midfield, far from it.

Sure but not really comparing like for like though are we? Gerrard's career tapered off into that deeper playmaker role and he was never as good as Alonso at it but then again Alonso is/was one of the best in the world in that role.

Carrick is and always was a defensive midfielder and a mediocre one at that. Sure he had a couple of great seasons and it's a role that never get's much praise but I don't rate him much and feel he was carried the majority of his career by the amazing players around him. His task for the majority of his career was get the ball and give it to Scholesy.

Like I said Arsenal's midfield is really only lacking a strong defensive mid. Their attacking options are among the best in the league if not the best.

http://youtu.be/AAmnHqNrwm0

Di Maria best bits, he is something special all right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sky Sports News have been running the Di Maria story very strongly. It's a done deal barring a colossal screw up.

Get in a decent midfielder now and we are well stocked :)

ok so you cant show me many examples, but yet i could show you a load of examples where balague actually broke the news story of many other transfers

You know I don't care if you think Balague is a reliable source right?

This conversation between you and I started with me laughing at your post for treating Balague as a reliable source. I'm still laughing at that and the fact that you think you have proven he is reliable only makes it more funny.

A DOF would need to have Van Gaals express permission, actually, he would need to have his full support, they would need to have a very close and very clearly defined relationship. It would be a disaster otherwise. He would maybe just handle the actual going and getting the deals done I guess, well, I think that is about all Louis would allow. He would not stand for someone else to have any say over transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I think this is a great time to get a snack box. Celebratory snack box!

Sure but not really comparing like for like though are we? Gerrard's career tapered off into that deeper playmaker role and he was never as good as Alonso at it but then again Alonso is/was one of the best in the world in that role.

Carrick is and always was a defensive midfielder and a mediocre one at that. Sure he had a couple of great seasons and it's a role that never get's much praise but I don't rate him much and feel he was carried the majority of his career by the amazing players around him. His task for the majority of his career was get the ball and give it to Scholesy.

Like I said Arsenal's midfield is really only lacking a strong defensive mid. Their attacking options are among the best in the league if not the best.

None of what you have said changes the fact that Carrick is a much better central midfielder than Gerrard.

And Arsenal's forward line is only lacking a top class CF.

• Advertisement

You know I don't care if you think Balague is a reliable source right?

This conversation between you and I started with me laughing at your post for treating Balague as a reliable source. I'm still laughing at that and the fact that you think you have proven he is reliable only makes it more funny.

ok he is not reliable, di maria is not signing and he wont be wearing the no7 shirt

None of what you have said changes the fact that Carrick is a much better central midfielder than Gerrard.

And Arsenal's forward line is only lacking a top class CF.

Sure whereas we're lacking any quality central mids or wingers at least until/if the di maria deal goes through.

Giroud is a better forward than Ashley Young, Nani or Valencia are wingers or Cleverly, Fletcher, Carrick, Fellaini are central midfielders.

Our entire midfield is ****e with the exception of our central attacking mids, mata and kagawa and possible youth prospects for the future.

Arsenal currently have 2 of the 3 best wingers in the league in Walcott and Sanchez, and 2 of the best attacking mids in Ramsey and Ozil.

ok he is not reliable, di maria is not signing and he wont be wearing the no7 shirt

Straw man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

sorry i missed out...

has a price been mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

It would be a fantastic signing. And could help attract further top players. And doubly fantastic when you consider we aren't offering CL football this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    A DOF would need to have Van Gaals express permission, actually, he would need to have his full support, they would need to have a very close and very clearly defined relationship. It would be a disaster otherwise. He would maybe just handle the actual going and getting the deals done I guess, well, I think that is about all Louis would allow. He would not stand for someone else to have any say over transfer policy.

I agree - i think it would be someone in charge of the scouting and negotiations.

I would still want LVG (or any united manager) having final say over any and all transfers, but I think we could do with someone who has experience and connections in the game to handle the actual art of getting the transfers done. LVG doesn't want that role - so it is only, in reality, Woodward such a role would effect. The Director of Football title and role, as it is known, doesnt fit what I think is required and would be put in place, but it is also a close fit to the role I would like to see implemented - and one I read was being discussed at United since last summer.

Woodward would be in charge of running the business aspect of the club and providing final sign off on deals. LVG would be in charge of the football affairs, and it would be his responsibility to provide a list of targets for the DoF to pursue. It would be the responsibility of the DoF to negotiate for those targets - as well as compile scouting reports and make contact on backup targets to be presented in case the initial targets fall through. The DoF would be able to focus fully, at all times, on transfer work - not distracted by training, squad selection, match prep etc - or commercial deals, sponsor meetings, share meetings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

sorry i missed out...

The speculation is £48 million, nothing guaranteed yet but Skysports are running the story a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I hope someone is scouring the internet for conglomerates and firms that are named 'Di Maria'.

I'm anticipating Ed coming out with that smug face to announce our official new partner in some bullshittery. 'Di Maria, Draper, Pryce' LTD.

Sure whereas we're lacking any quality central mids or wingers at least until/if the di maria deal goes through.

Giroud is a better forward than Ashley Young, Nani or Valencia are wingers or Cleverly, Fletcher, Carrick, Fellaini are central midfielders.

Our entire midfield is ****e with the exception of our central attacking mids, mata and kagawa.

You are just ignoring any flaw that I point out in your argument so I am going to ignore you now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

So does this put the nail in the "We cant attract big players" coffin

Oh yeah. We can attract "great players" like Juan Mata and Angel Di Maria. Players who are so great that their clubs want to get rid of them. Just once can we sign someone who other clubs actually want?

• Advertisement

sorry i missed out...

£48m... ronaldo convinced him to join, he will become the new no7

Oh yeah. We can attract "great players" like Juan Mata and Angel Di Maria. Players who are so great that their clubs want to get rid of them. Just once can we sign someone who other clubs actually want?

barcelona wanted di maria....

so did psg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If we had signed Vidal and say Hummells and this was announced I'd be happy.
    But I don't think he's worth the money being talked about, I think he's too light for the EPL and he's now going to be seen as some sort of saviour which he is not. To get out house in order we needed a midfield enforcer and top drawer centre half and so far that has not been addressed so I won't be getting my cock out just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just looking at Mitch's formation

De Gea
    Rafael-Smalling-Evans-Shaw
    ----Herrera-Vidal-Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney-RVP

Looks dead on to me but if we dont get another CM this transfer window, I dont think its possible to play this formation for what we have at the moment

Just one more top quality CM would make my dream transfer window complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

no idea if true but on the mirror tomorrow
    Glazers may appoint a director of football to oversee transfer business at Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Apparently when asked about Di Maria being left out of Madrid squad because he was leaving the club Ancelotti replied with:
    "It was a technical decision not to play Di Maria,I did not need him today."

Then he said of Khedira:
    "Khedira has permission to leave. I am not interested in where he goes."

That makes me a bit worried, surely if Di Maria was a close to leaving as we thought he would have replied with a similar answer to the Khedira question.

You are just ignoring any flaw that I point out in your argument so I am going to ignore you now.

You mean your difference of opinion? Good for you.

But please go on thinking Carrick is a top midfielder while our team continues to struggle in the center with him and the rest there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

zorro2566 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/AAmnHqNrwm0

Di Maria best bits, he is something special all right!
    I really really shouldn't have watched that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm still certain this is a ploy to get PSG to move.

That's not even being funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Really excited about this signing.

Not to be ott but he adds another dimension to us. He brings some much needed pace and flair to the team, the clichè that ''he can make something happen out of nothing'' because currently the quality players in the squad would be best utilised in a team which is great at keeping the ball but since we're not amazing at that someone like Di Maria is needed to bring something extra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement