Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People are still mentioning Vidal. Why?

He had a deadline from Juve to make a move happen by last Friday or he won't be sold.

No one made a bid for him AT ANY point and the clubs chairman has categorically stated that any chance of Vidal leaving has now passed...as replacements.cannot be signed in this timeframe.

Vidal is not and never was a runner. Chuffed I didn't get wound up in that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has Future Guy commented on these developments as of yet:p
    Sorry Just saw your comment above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Headshot wrote: »
    Just looking at Mitch's formation

De Gea
    Rafael-Smalling-Evans-Shaw
    ----Herrera-Vidal-Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney-RVP

Looks dead on to me but if we dont get another CM this transfer window, I dont think its possible to play this formation for what we have at the moment

Just one more top quality CM would make my dream transfer window complete
    Why no Rojo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Apparently when asked about Di Maria being left out of Madrid squad because he was leaving the club Ancelotti replied with:

Then he said of Khedira:

That makes me a bit worried, surely if Di Maria was a close to leaving as we thought he would have replied with a similar answer to the Khedira question.

technical being i doubt anchelotti wants to sell di maria but he is being forced out by perez

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kryogen wrote: »
    A DOF would need to have Van Gaals express permission, actually, he would need to have his full support, they would need to have a very close and very clearly defined relationship. It would be a disaster otherwise. He would maybe just handle the actual going and getting the deals done I guess, well, I think that is about all Louis would allow. He would not stand for someone else to have any say over transfer policy.

Are you sure Louis has always been in command of transfers at his previous clubs? I have no evidence either way, but his list of previous employers seem like the type of clubs where he would have been lumped with at least one DOF at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »
    I'm gonna tag team with Homer and Mitch until you all wake up every morning crying when you think of Utd.

But for now I'm on the happy couch. Bring on those world class signings biatches!

ill carry the f*cking happy couch to your house on my back if we actually sign a few world class players between here and Sunday.

Di Maria is exactly the type of signing this club needs. its been a disaster of a summer but if this week is finally the start of the rebuilding process, then ill accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Is Di Maria a done deal lads or just more solid rumours? If ye do get him what a land but I can see him being not far off Suarez in terms of money paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Oh yeah. We can attract "great players" like Juan Mata and Angel Di Maria. Players who are so great that their clubs want to get rid of them. Just once can we sign someone who other clubs actually want?

This is ridiculous but I think you know this. I'm watching you Wildman. I'm watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Pro. F wrote: »
    Are you sure Louis has always been in command of transfers at his previous clubs? I have no evidence either way, but his list of previous employers seem like the type of clubs where he would have been lumped with at least one DOF at some stage.

Name five such clubs! :pac::D

TheDoc wrote: »
    People are still mentioning Vidal. Why?

He had a deadline from Juve to make a move happen by last Friday or he won't be sold.

No one made a bid for him AT ANY point and the clubs chairman has categorically stated that any chance of Vidal leaving has now passed...as replacements.cannot be signed in this timeframe.

Vidal is not and never was a runner. Chuffed I didn't get wound up in that nonsense.

just on that, nothing about di maria either last week but yet we are having FINAL talks early next week to complete the deal and the no7 shirt has already been given to him

• Advertisement

ill carry the f*cking happy couch to your house on my back if we actually sign a few world class players between here and Sunday.

Di Maria is exactly the type of signing this club needs. its been a disaster of a summer but if this week is finally the start of the rebuilding process, then ill accept it.

Happy couch doesnt move from my front room lads, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

advertsfox wrote: »
    Why no Rojo?

Maybe in time but I rather see Smalling and Evans at the moment. Granted they're not ideal either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I haven't been this excited since we agreed a deal for Sneijder and Thiago and then put a deposit on Falcao.

problem.jpg

BloodBath wrote: »
    You mean your difference of opinion? Good for you.

But please go on thinking Carrick is a top midfielder while our team continues to struggle in the center with him and the rest there.

No, I mean the arguments that I put to you that you completely ignored. There have been a lot of them in this brief conversation.

I never said that Carrick is (or was) a top midfielder. In fact I said that I've never even rated him very much. So that is a straw man you have built for yourself there.

bangkok wrote: »
    just on that, nothing about di maria either last week but yet we are having FINAL talks early next week to complete the deal and the no7 shirt has already been given to him

It's been categorically ruled out by Juventus. They were CLEARLY drumming a market for him all summer, or his agent trying to get him a new deal.

Juventus set a deadline so they could recruit replacements in good time. Why sell your star CM and then rush recruit. They set a deadline, no one bit. And I'm suprised anyone here bought into the Vidal stuff.

We didn't move mountains to land Fabregas or Kroos, loosing out to other clubs, yet would spunk three times that on Vidal. A player that in all honesty, wasn't on the map anywhere 12 months ago?

Sorry I havn't ever bought into the hype, nor his transfer nonsense.

Don't pick up a yellow because of him man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No, I mean the arguments that I put to you that you completely ignored. There have been a lot of them in this brief conversation.

I never said that Carrick is (or was) a top midfielder. In fact I said that I've never even rated him very much. So that is a straw man you have built for yourself there.

You haven't made any argument though apart from your opinion that Carrick is/was a better central mid than Gerrard which is your opinion and something I disagree with.

That's the only arguement you made and I did address it.

It's always a pretty pointless argument since they did not play the same role for the majority of their careers but hey you brought it up. A more accurate comparison would be Scholes vs Gerrard but hey we all know who was better there right.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm still certain this is a ploy to get PSG to move.

That's not even being funny.

I see where you're coming from and it's true that Balaque does have a reputation for being anxious to get on the good side of Spanish boards and agents when he needs a book done or a free meal. If he was being a bit low key about Man U and Di Maria link I would agree with you that he is just being a Madrid tool to stir up a bidding war.

This seems different though, Miguel Delaney is on Twitter saying that there were mumblings of this in the past 24 hours, Balaque just broke it first and, as others have said, he is way too vocal about this for it just to be politicking on his part.

If he was just doing this to stir up interest then I think his reputation would be ruined. Sky Sports pay him a wage, he might like to keep in the good books of the powerful at Madrid but I don't think he'd totally humiliate the former on behalf of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bit expensive but feck it, the team needs an injection of life.

A win tomorrow and Di Maria signing early next week will suddenly change the mood around the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Looks like Di Maria could be a done deal for 50m. I know united are a team in transition at the moment but the level of spending in the last 12months is getting absolutely ridiculous in an age when UEFA are trying to level the playing field. Its nothing but bad for football to see another team going down the road of PSG, City and Chelsea just free spending to get back in the bigtime.

Shaw, Herrera and Fellaini for 90m, Di Maria for 50m, Mata and Rojo for another 55m or so. That 200m in less than 12 months and with very little back in transfers in. Add in rooneys payrise and big the wages these new players are reportedly after signing on there surely cant be any excuse for united or LVG if they dont mount a serious title challenge after that level of spending this season.

The signing of Di Maria individually is worth more than the majority of united will be playing in the next few games. Its getting crazy at this stage.

• Advertisement

It's been categorically ruled out by Juventus. They were CLEARLY drumming a market for him all summer, or his agent trying to get him a new deal.

Juventus set a deadline so they could recruit replacements in good time. Why sell your star CM and then rush recruit. They set a deadline, no one bit. And I'm suprised anyone here bought into the Vidal stuff.

We didn't move mountains to land Fabregas or Kroos, loosing out to other clubs, yet would spunk three times that on Vidal. A player that in all honesty, wasn't on the map anywhere 12 months ago?

You've said that a few times as if Vidal is not one of the best CMs in the world and hasn't been recognised as that for the last number of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Sorry to go back to the Balague thing but I just googled "Guillem Balague bull****" and the top link returned was redcafe :)

You've said that a few times as if Vidal is not one of the best CMs in the world and hasn't been recognised as that for the last number of years.

Reasoning being I like to think I'm kinda up on the worlds top players, especialliy CM's, but I had never heard of him, in anyway shape or form, before his name popped up in relation to a possible Janaury swoop from Moyes.

Have a nagging feeling his reputation soared being linked with United, rather then incredible performances. If he was SO GOOD, I'd imagine other clubs would have interest, and not just us.

Can't help there is something not right on that front with Vidal. I'd strongly argue he has not being considered, nor being, a world class CM for a stretch of "years"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anywhere offering odds on him to not go to United...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Strootman in January lads. Guarantee it!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

viper006 wrote: »
    Looks like Di Maria could be a done deal for 50m. I know united are a team in transition at the moment but the level of spending in the last 12months is getting absolutely ridiculous in an age when UEFA are trying to level the playing field. Its nothing but bad for football to see another team going down the road of PSG, City and Chelsea just free spending to get back in the bigtime.

Shaw, Herrera and Fellaini for 90m, Di Maria for 50m, Mata and Rojo for another 55m or so. That 200m in less than 12 months and with very little back in transfers in. Add in rooneys payrise and big the wages these new players are reportedly after signing on there surely cant be any excuse for united or LVG if they dont mount a serious title challenge after that level of spending this season.

The signing of Di Maria individually is worth more than the majority of united will be playing in the next few games. Its getting crazy at this stage.

FFP isn't about "levelling the playing field" if anything it's about cementing the traditionally rich clubs: Man U, Real, Bayern, Barca etc. while freezing out upstarts like Chelsea, City and PSG who want to break into that top bracket.

FFP says spend what you earn, certain clubs earn a lot more than others and will be allowed to spend accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If Di Maria ends up anywhere other than United there will be a nuclear war on the the internet..

It's only making up for the serious under-investment in previous years and was inevitable with the change in management and the end of a squad era.

Combined with the massive increase in revenues it's really not that much money for a club who wants to challenge for the top accolades.

Shaw, Herrera and Fellaini for 90m, Di Maria for 50m, Mata and Rojo for another 55m or so. That 200m in less than 12 months and with very little back in transfers in. Add in rooneys payrise and big the wages these new players are reportedly after signing on there surely cant be any excuse for united or LVG if they dont mount a serious title challenge after that level of crazy spending this season.

What rubbish. Utd are the best run club in the world. We maybe in in debt but its very serviceable. Utd revenues are unbelievable too. Why do you think utd are a big fan of the fair play rules because its thanks to that rule, utd can out spend any team.

Utd dont need a sugar daddy, the club spends what it has in players, wages and the Glazers pocket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am pretty teams have tried to impose DoF's and players on him before and it has not gone well. I am sure he was in command at Ajax? AZ? I think he was allowed do as he wished at Bayern but they kept trying to force players on him which caused issues, at Barca they did something alright with Riquelme for sure and he just told him to find a new club as he was not his player.

I haven't checked into it too much tbh, but he does not strike you as the type of guy to accept something like a DoF buying players and telling him to make it work

As he said, he was hired for his philosophy. His philosophy is all about his system, giving youth a chance, playing possession attacking football etc I am certain he would have demanded and been assured of total control on transfer policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh yeah. We can attract "great players" like Juan Mata and Angel Di Maria. Players who are so great that their clubs want to get rid of them. Just once can we sign someone who other clubs actually want?

Real Madrid must be laughing all the way to the bank ,they can smell the stench of desperation off Woodward.
    60-70m euro for a player they are desperately trying to sell ,who they tried to flog to Spurs last season for 30m ,and who they bought for 25m .

When was the last time Real Madrid made 40m euro on a player ,they nearly always move players on at a loss ,sometimes a huge write down.

Di Maria is a good player but a very streaky temperamental one ,he has had one good season ,its a huge risk paying that money for him .

Reasoning being I like to think I'm kinda up on the worlds top players, especialliy CM's, but I had never heard of him, in anyway shape or form, before his name popped up in relation to a possible Janaury swoop from Moyes.

Have a nagging feeling his reputation soared being linked with United, rather then incredible performances. If he was SO GOOD, I'd imagine other clubs would have interest, and not just us.

Can't help there is something not right on that front with Vidal. I'd strongly argue he has not being considered, nor being, a world class CM for a stretch of "years"

What??????? I don't even know where to start with this, 100% the worst post I have ever read on boards.

You haven't made any argument though apart from your opinion that Carrick is/was a better central mid than Gerrard which is your opinion and something I disagree with.

That's the only arguement you made and I did address it.

It's always a pretty pointless argument since they did not play the same role for the majority of their careers but hey you brought it up. A more accurate comparison would be Scholes vs gerrard but hey we all know who was better there right.

But they are playing the same role now and Gerrard played that role all of last season and plenty of times before in his career. You are ignoring that.

If you want to agree to disagree on which of Carrick and Gerrard is the better central midfielder, then there is no point discussing which club has the better central midfield.

Your comparison of Arsenal's best centre-forward to our worst wingers was not informative about anything, especially since our first formation at the moment doesn't use wingers.

We also both disagree on the quality of United's defenders for the current formation, so there's no point discussing which club has the better options at the back.

And I suspect we disagree on how much better DDG is than the other two clubs' goalies, so no point discussing that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I meant over the last 10 years not in the last 10 years. Of course Alonso was better. I also disagree with you hey we all have an opinion. I know people love to hate Gerrard on here :)

I certainly don't hate Gerrard and even if I did it doesn't change that he was never a top CM ,his best work was done as a number 10 and he had 2 very good players behind him in Alonso and Mascherno.
    Geerard has moved to a CM role now because his legs are gone and imo is struggling.
    Carrick gets an awful hard time here but he has been an excellent defensive CM for United over the last few years.He doesn't stand out and does the grunt work without fuss and I think thats the main reason he is dismissed.

If Di Maria ends up anywhere other than United there will be a nuclear war on the the internet..

There will be Nuclear War on the Dance floor

(I hope someone gets that without googling)

• Advertisement

but they already got the replacements...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/juventus-turin/transfers/verein/506/saison_id/2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

FFP isn't about "levelling the playing field" if anything it's about cementing the traditionally rich clubs: Man U, Real, Bayern, Barca etc. while freezing out upstarts like Chelsea, City and PSG who want to break into that top bracket.

FFP says spend what you earn, certain clubs earn a lot more than others and will be allowed to spend accordingly.

Ya good point in fairness. As much as opposition will loath to say it, fergie did an incredible job at united mixing big transfers and bring through potential. This unreal spending though over such a small period of time is just obscene really, cant be good for the competitiveness of the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Its funny how there is always one poster in here posting the weirdest stuff and getting made fun off.

kryogen wrote: »
    I am pretty teams have tried to impose DoF's and players on him before and it has not gone well. I am sure he was in command at Ajax? AZ? I think he was allowed do as he wished at Bayern but they kept trying to force players on him which caused issues, at Barca they did something alright with Riquelme for sure and he just told him to find a new club as he was not his player.

I haven't checked into it too much tbh, but he does not strike you as the type of guy to accept something like a DoF buying players and telling him to make it work

As he said, he was hired for his philosophy. His philosophy is all about his system, giving youth a chance, playing possession attacking football etc I am certain he would have demanded and been assured of total control on transfer policy

I do remember now, the story about Van Gaal telling a player, who had been bought without LVG's authorisation, that he wasn't wanted. Fair enough.

What??????? I don't even know where to start with this, 100% the worst post I have ever read on boards.

That's a bit sensational.

Just my take on it. As the years went on with our poor midfield I don't remember people spluttering about Vidal.

I don't remember seeing him in papers.

I don't remember hearing him being talked out on the like six podcasts I listen to about European football.

I don't remember any of my mates telling about this Chilean midfield machine. And two of them are walking football encylopedias.

I'm not saying strictly he's a bad player..or not good. I just think claims he has been world class for years is stretching it. His name was very rarely mentioned until he was linked with us...where he has become a wet dream for a lot of united fans.

But before the initial transfer speculation...I sincerely doubt most people knew who he was. His stock has risen mighty since that initial link...and he has played well for sure.

But Adeybayour looked world class anytime he was eyeing up a move..if you get where I'm going with this. Something about him doesn't sit right with me personally . :( Sorry to wreck the buzz

• Advertisement

I'm afraid if you had never heard of Vidal before January then you are not up on the world's top players and you don't follow the world of football that closely.

Sorry to go back to the Balague thing but I just googled "Guillem Balague bull****" and the top link returned was redcafe :)

yes thats why i asked for the 5 transfers that was bull... he breaks a lot of the big spanish transfers.

Vidal is one of the best players in the world right now and has been for a while.He has been on an upward curve the past 4-5 seasons.
    I cant believe anyone who follows footballs top players had never heard of him until Last January's link to United.
    He has without doubt being one of the best CM's going back to his Leverkusen days.

But they are playing the same role now and Gerrard played that role all of last season and plenty of times before in his career. You are ignoring that.

If you want to agree to disagree on which of Carrick and Gerrard is the better central midfielder, then there is no point discussing which club has the better central midfield. If Liverpool choose to play gerrard as a defensive mid that is their problem, it was never his job and there is no doubt Carrick is the better at this role. Every other aspect of Gerrards play is/was better throughout his entire career though.

Your comparison of Arsenal's best centre-forward to our worst wingers was not informative about anything, especially since our first formation at the moment doesn't use wingers.

We also both disagree on the quality of United's defenders for the current formation, so there's no point discussing which club has the better options at the back.

And I suspect we disagree on how much better DDG is than the other two clubs' goalies, so no point discussing that either.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm just choosing not to compare 2 players based on the ends of their careers in 2 completely different teams and roles. I'd sooner look at their entire careers and Gerrard's is simply better outside of winning SFA.

As for Arsenal you only reiterated what I had said in an earlier post that Arsenal are only lacking in a top CF and top Defensive mid. There is nothing to argue about here. It's obvious to anyone. Giroud is by no means a bad CF though.

Again I never mentioned the defence at all at any point until you brought it up after which I said I was happy enough with it unless we're playing 3 at back in which case we need another quality CB.

I also never mentioned the goalkeeper for obvious reasons as we're fine in that area. I have only spoken about the terrible midfield that needs to be sorted.

You talk about strawman arguments and go to great lengths to create them.

Just my take on it. As the years went on with our poor midfield I don't remember people spluttering about Vidal.

I don't remember hearing him being talked out on the like six podcasts I listen to about European football.

I don't remember any of my mates telling about this Chilean midfield machine. And two of them are walking football encylopedias.

I'm not saying strictly he's a bad player..or not good. I just think claims he has been world class for years is stretching it. His name was very rarely mentioned until he was linked with us...where he has become a wet dream for a lot of united fans.

But before the initial transfer speculation...I sincerely doubt most people knew who he was. His stock has risen mighty since that initial link...and he has played well for sure.

But Adeybayour looked world class anytime he was eyeing up a move..if you get where I'm going with this. Something about him doesn't sit right with me personally . :( Sorry to wreck the buzz

I'm on a tablet so I won't post a long reply, all I can do is state how wrong you are. Vidal has been quite possibly the best, most complete central midfielder in the world for about 2 years now. The link with United has nothing to do with enhancing his reputation. There isn't a central midfielder in the world I would take ahead of him right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Di Maria would provide a big lift to the squad too actually, something I haven't been considering when thinking about the transfer.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm just choosing not to compare 2 players based on the ends of their careers in 2 completely different teams and roles.
    Their roles are very similar to each other and if you cant/wont compare players who play for different teams ,who can you compare?

How the fúck have you not watched Juventus in the last three seasons and seen Vidal for yourself? Never mind podcasts, forum posts and mates talking to you, try watching a game.

The reason there was very little talk in this particular thread about Vidal is that he doesn't play for this club and up until the last 6 months it looked like buying him from Juve was going to be next to impossible. And whatever podcasts and mates you are listening to, if they haven't been talking about how class Vidal is for a few years now then they are failing at talking about football.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Their roles are very similar to each other and if you cant/wont compare players who play for different teams ,who can you compare?

If Liverpool chose to play Gerrard as a defensive mid that is their problem. It was never his role and if the argument is who is the better defensive midfielder then sure Carrick is better at that role.

Gerrard is and always was better in every other aspect of his game though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement