Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fescue wrote: »
    Di Maria is exactly the type of player you guys are crying out for. But from what I understand LVG seems set n 3-5-2? He wuld hardly be asked to play wing back?

People are getting mixed up with this 3-5-2 formation thing.
    LVGs prefered style is actually 4-3-3, he plays 3-5-2 when he doesnt have the players needed to play his prefered 4-3-3.

Edit- mitch beat me to it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Being reported now that the fee is actually 75 million with a further 10 million euros in bonuses.

Good man Ed, great deal!
    He is a world class player that we exactly need. The price is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think Mata could play the Iniesta Role in a 4-3-3

Yeah that's OK but who out of Rooney or Rvp is going to play out wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Being reported now that the fee is actually 75 million with a further 10 million euros in bonuses.

Good man Ed, great deal!

Wow 85m for Di maria that is mad money no way is he worth that. He was madrid's 2nd best player last season but not great before that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nani missed a peno for Sporting on his debut a few minutes ago. Bad start. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Crying out for? More than a centre half or a central midfielder? I don't think so

They need pace, power and energy. Di Maria gives them that. Sure they need players in those positions also but Di Maria makes any team better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

rob316 wrote: »
    Wow 85m for Di maria that is mad money no way is he worth that. He was madrid's 2nd best player last season but not great before that.

This is completely false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

People getting a bit carried away here with the prices. If there is truth to the story, if the transfer goes ahead the price will be known then. It can be scrutinized then, wouldn't get too upset about the reported fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Good man Ed, great deal!

Wow football has gone bonkers. I like Di Maria but I would have him in the 35-40 million bracket myself. From an outsider looking in this is a very strange transfer, the amount of attacking dead wood in your squad is alarming, should be getting rid first and then bringing in replacements, besides your troubles are in the defence and midfield.

I may be wrong but hand on heart I feel Manchester Utd is been run in a poor way sinve Ferguson left, panic buy after panic buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Where is he going to play? You've got to fit Rooney, Van Persie, Mata and Di Maria into the team. We also have to keep Janujaz happy with game time or we'll lose him.

All the recent talk from LVG has suggested that he certainly intends to continue with 3-5-2.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Di Maria is a huge statement by the club. Still need a CM and I don't think Di Maria would be joining if other signings weren't imminent too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Kagawa wrote: »
    Great news about Di Maria, assuming it goes ahead, not exactly needed but the lift it gives to the club is definetly worth the excessive fee. This is needed right now and the statement of intent and will attract other big players we really need (vidal). Finally a bit of good news, much needed!

Oh dear. Spunking 60 million seems a bit of an excessive way to make a statement. United could do some serious recruitment in midfield with that sort of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

glued wrote: »
    Di Maria is a huge statement by the club. Still need a CM and I don't think Di Maria would be joining if other signings weren't imminent too

The reports about Di Maria have also suggested he is not the only player we will sign in the coming days.

Watch this space! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yeah that's OK but who out of Rooney or Rvp is going to play out?

If Di Maria was bought and played in the Iniesta type role one of the other two is still going to end up playing from a wide position. But they won't be out on the touchline, expect width to come from full backs as it does in the 3-5-2

Something like this attributed to tome at Barca (from here )

vg_BARCA_horiz.gif

EDIT: could also go the Bayern route with Di Maria and Mata as the wide players in midfield coming in.

vg_MUNICH_horiz.gif

Oh dear. Spunking 60 million seems a bit of an excessive way to make a statement. United could do some serious recruitment in midfield with that sort of money.

Lol at the opposition fans coming in and trying to convince us this is bad business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

glued wrote: »

The club were under huge pressure to sign a big name. I'm not sure I'd expect anyone else coming in to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Lol at the opposition fans coming in and trying to convince us this is bad business.

It kind of is. He's not a CM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Look, with the state united are in there is no way we are not over paying for players like Di Maria. Other clubs have us by the balls at the negotiating table, just learn to accept it and be thankful it's not your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Are you able to accept £75m is an incredible amount of money to pay for any player? Let alone a player who doesn't seem to address the actual glaring weaknesses in Utd's team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I think this is a great time to get a snack box. Celebratory snack box!

The snack box has moved onto pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Sorry to burst your bubble but it doesn't matter who I support, its just my opinion. There will be plenty within your own fanbase who think the same

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Are you able to accept £75m is an incredible amount of money to pay for any player? Let alone a player who doesn't seem to address the actual glaring weaknesses in Utd's team?

Euros, not pounds. It's around £60m which admittedly is still a huge fee.

Firstly, the fee seems to have gone from 55 to 75 in the space of an hour. Speculation.
    I reckon it won't be a penny over 55.

Secondly, I think they will address central midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

People really need to get to grips with the difference between Euro and Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

£75M? Is the price going up a million per minute of something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It kind of is. He's not a CM.

agreed - in isolation and if he is the only signing, it is bad business, akin to signing Mata in january. A great player, but not one in a position we really REALLY need and potentially one that the anager can't use based on the fomration he plays.

I would, however, be surprised if Di Maria is the only signing, or he has been foisted on the manager, or the manager doesn't know how to actively integrate him into his squad.

The money being spoken about - even the lower end of it at around 60million, is kinda crazy too - but if he fits into the team I don't care how much he costs. Similarly, if Fellaini fitted into the side and performed for us, I wouldn't really care how much he cost either. it is only when we spend a fortune on a player who turns out to be a waste of space that I get annoyed. Right now I'm far happier with 60million on Di Maria than 8million on Bebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mixing up your signs there Alan, should probably wipe the tears from your eyes before posting :p

Look, with the state united are in there is no way we are not over paying for players like Di Maria. Other clubs have us by the balls at the negotiating table, just learn to accept it and be thankful it's not your money.

Its all good, with Adidas money United could buy a Di Maria and have 15 million left over every season for the Glazers :pac:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it doesn't matter who I support, its just my opinion. There will be plenty within your own fanbase who think the same

My bubble isn't burst. We're signing a world class player, it inflates my bubble.

Nice username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

£158 million fee is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

advertsfox wrote: »
    He is a world class player that we exactly need. The price is irrelevant.

Another winger?

Every man and his dog knows we need world class centre midfielders and possibly a centre half.

Give me kedira and hummers any day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jesus Christ the club will never do right in some eyes you know, "just go spend the ****ing money! Get the world class talent in!" Who cares how much he would cost we need players!!!!!!! " "**** sake the club is desperate, what a waste of money, no player is worth that much" etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

On the subject of transfer fees, we have ourselves in this situation. If the team had been properly maintained over the years the success would have continued and the loss of SAF would not have been as obvious. Instead, what happened was we signed players with potential and others who were below-par (e.g Young). SAF was able to cope with this domestically but in the CL our weaknesses were made all the more apparent.

Now what we have is a club with several glaring weaknesses. Everyone knows this. Every club knows we need to buy so they have United by the balls. If the player is wanted, we have to pay top dollar. The club has no choice as the players are needed fast.

This level of financial outlay is necessary at this stage. The team is not good enough in some areas and we have passed up the opportunity to sign class players for decent money (Strootman). But hopefully, after the team is rebuilt it will then be properly maintained and United will be in a stronger position when it comes to transfers. The club will also be more attractive to players if it continues to be successful again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hopefully this was the big one they have been working on and the remaining two (supposed) transfers will wrap up quickly.

Blind & De Jong/Vidal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I don't think so either - I think James is a bit overrated and Madrid are making a mistake.

Honestly?
    James is fecking unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sandro being linked with a 12m move to Napoli.He would be a decent addition to the squad.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Sandro being linked with a 12m move to Napoli.He would be a decent addition to the squad.

Too prone to injury. We have enough injury prone players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

yabadabado wrote: »

He wouldn't be 12m for United.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'd only care about the fee if it meant it prohibited United from addressing those glaring weaknesses. There doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest that it's doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You know it's a good signing when every second post is a Liverpool fan calling him a panic buy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Its all good, with Adidas money United could buy a Di Maria and have 15 million left over every season for the Glazers :pac:

All the Adidas money is dependent on us getting into the champions league next season and winning the league within 3 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

The signing of Di Maria is a huge statement of intent imo. United may need strengthening in other departments but Di Maria is a world class player. I don't think any fan can deny that regardless of the transfer fee involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All the Adidas money is dependent on us getting into the champions league next season and winning the league within 3 years.

no it isn't.

It is dependent on us getting into the CL for the 16/17 season, and no need to win it.

Another winger?

Every man and his dog knows we need world class centre midfielders and possibly a centre half.

Give me kedira and hummers any day.

What wingers do we have? Valencia? Young? You don't think they could be, or should be improved upon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

€75 million, so about £60 million, which is about what he's worth to be honest. Or are you just gonna ignore that to push your agenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

0028673 wrote: »
    The signing of Di Maria is a huge statement of intent imo. United may need strengthening in other departments but Di Maria is a world class player. I don't think any fan can deny that regardless of the transfer fee involved.

It's a statement of intent alright. And DiMaria is a smashing player.

However without considerable improvements to midfield & Utd's defence, you'll continue to struggle just like last season, despite having spent an insane amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

from reddit
    i6UqqRrwxo2OC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Too prone to injury. We have enough injury prone players

He has struggled a bit the last year but when fit he was a very good player.

Hopefully Di Maria is confirmed early next week and then at least one midfielder is signed before the window closes.if that happens its a good summer of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Source?

• Advertisement

Not All of it.

And I was joking around, lighten up Buddy

WooHoo I got to use Buddy in a sentence on boards and not offend someone!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement