Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

All the Adidas money is dependent on us getting into the champions league next season and winning the league within 3 years.

If Utd fail to qualify for CL, the amount per year drops by 30%. If they qualify again it reverts back to £75M.

If Utd win the League, CL or FA Cup they receive an extra £4M.

Tell me how that means Utd losing "all the Adidas money"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

kryogen wrote: »
    Jesus Christ the club will never do right in some eyes you know, "just go spend the ****ing money! Get the world class talent in!" Who cares how much he would cost we need players!!!!!!! " "**** sake the club is desperate, what a waste of money, no player is worth that much" etc etc etc

Theres some moaney ****s posting on this forum that are never happy. As Kryogen said its not your or my money. In order to get back to the pinnacle of English football we need to bring in world class talent. I'm sure LVG knows what hes doing and were the weak points in the team are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

There's a lot of talk of us signing two more players after Di Maria. Blind and another apparently. Why is everyone acting like Di Maria is the be all and end all? Just because he's signed doesn't mean we can't improve midfield, he's just a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

RayCun wrote: »
    Source?

ogden iirc

theres a 20mill penalty for no cl 2 seasons in a row (this season doesnt count) and no requirement of to win the PL (4mill bonus for winning any of the major trophies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

RayCun wrote: »
    Source?

Look it up for yourself, I'm on the beer.
    You hardly thought they gave us all that money without it being dependent on results?
    Champions league qualification is a must or things will turn sour quickly.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's a statement of intent alright. And DiMaria is a smashing player.

However without considerable improvements to midfield & Utd's defence, you'll continue to struggle just like last season, despite having spent an insane amount of money.

I'm a Liverpool fan Alan like yourself.

I agree United need reinforcements in other areas, and Di Maria signing only aid them in convincing other players about the project. I'm expecting that United will do more Business before the window ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Coat22 wrote: »
    You found out on the Radio 1 sportsnews at 1.30 that Man UTd had signed Andy Cole

That was huge, he'd scored forty odd goals the season before, I heard on the radio and stayed up until 2am to get the early edition if the Star to read all about it. 24 Spar in Ranelagh, god I feel so old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I'm touched by the concern from opposition fans about United spending tens of millions £'s €'s on the wrong type of player. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Just in from work and can't be araed sifting through all these posts what's the latest on di Maria ? Anything concrete ? People here seem to be talking like its a done deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Di Maria - Excellent player but once again ignoring the real issues, similar to the Mata signing (I know that was Moyes and this is LVG but the point is still a credible one).

This is what is actually needed.

If I had any say whatsoever over the club's transfer spending I'd place it all on this guy. Southampton have been raided this summer of their 'stars' yet their best all round footballer still remains and he just so happens to play in the role that we so desperately need to fill, a defensive midfielder who had the most tackles and interceptions of any midfielder in the league last season and scored five times. Only 24 as well.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-central-midfielder-year

• Advertisement

Just in from work and can't be araed sifting through all these posts what's the latest on di Maria ? Anything concrete ? People here seem to be talking like its a done deal.

Lots of concrete sky are running that hes on the verge of joining united and various journos are backing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Guillem Balague broke the news this evening about Di Maria,and its took off from there.

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

€60m for Di Maria is a strange one.

Should he be a priority signing? No.
    Will he improve the team? Definitely (I'd imagine a change of formation will be happening.)

Is he worth €60m at the minute? Absolutely not. United not being in the Champions League does not make a blind bit of difference to how much they'll have to pay Madrid for the transfer. Why would it? It probably will, however, mean having to pay Di Maria higher wages to convince him to join. When you consider the fact that he has asked to leave Madrid and they no longer need or want him and that there doesn't seem to be anybody else in for him, these things should have given United the leverage in negotiations.

Considering the players circumstances, you should have been paying about 20% less than his value (which I'd currently have at around €50m) not 20% more.

And this talk of €75m plus bonuses? I'll be astounded if United pay that much money for him. Really boggles the mind that yas haven't gone for Vidal when he'd be more beneficial to the team, cost a lot less and have lower wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

IrishIrish wrote: »
    People really need to get to grips with the difference between Euro and Sterling.

Exactly... One of currency and the other is a **** Liverpool player...

Get the popcorn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Guillem Balague broke the news this evening about Di Maria,and its took off from there.

It was only a few days ago he said something along the lines of PSG and Real were in agreement over Di Maria. I hope for United's sake people aren't just echoing what he is saying...he's been full of sh*t numerous times in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'll probably get slated for this, but signing Di Maria feels like buying underfloor heating when there's holes in the roof

Marca broke it this morning, just nobody believed them.

Trilla wrote: »
    I'll probably get slated for this, but signing Di Maria feels like buying underfloor heating when there's holes in the roof

i agree but i doubt were done buying yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

K4t wrote: »
    Di Maria - Excellent player but once again ignoring the real issues, similar to the Mata signing (I know that was Moyes and this is LVG but the point is still a credible one).

This is what is actually needed.

If I had any say whatsoever over the club's transfer spending I'd place it all on this guy. Southampton have been raided this summer of their 'stars' yet their best all round footballer still remains and he just so happens to play in the role that we so desperately need to fill, a defensive midfielder who had the most tackles and interceptions of any midfielder in the league last season and scored five times.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-central-midfielder-year

He had a great game at OT last season,the tackle he made on Welbeck was outstanding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its okay, Di Maria is the opposite of Spartacus, he banishes rain so you wont get wet and won't even need to turn on your heating :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

It's like buying nice shiny alloys while the engine is in bits and the brakes are wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Exactly... One of currency and the other is a **** Liverpool player...

Get the popcorn!

Surprised that they censor the word 'sexy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The house metaphors are bizarre and not in any way needed.

Saying " buying a winger when a central midfielder is needed" kinda does it on a soccer forum.

House metaphors are just plain weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

€60m for Di Maria is a strange one.

Should he be a priority signing? No.
    Will he improve the team? Definitely (I'd imagine a change of formation will be happening.)

Is he worth €60m at the minute? Absolutely not. United not being in the Champions League does not make a blind bit of difference to how much they'll have to pay Madrid for the transfer. Why would it? It probably will, however, mean having to pay Di Maria higher wages to convince him to join. When you consider the fact that he has asked to leave Madrid and they no longer need or want him and that there doesn't seem to be anybody else in for him, these things should have given United the leverage in negotiations.

Considering the players circumstances, you should have been paying about 20% less than his value (which I'd currently have at around €50m) not 20% more.

And this talk of €75m plus bonuses? I'll be astounded if United pay that much money for him. Really boggles the mind that yas haven't gone for Vidal when he'd be more beneficial to the team, cost a lot less and have lower wages.

Are you seriously that out of touch? There's only a handful of clubs that could afford him for starters. I'm not a UTD fan, but Di Maria is one of the best players in the world. Top 5, I reckon.

He's probably the Madrid fan's second favorite player and they're livid he's leaving.

He's 26 years old so easily worth €75m. You've no idea how hard it is to sign this calibre of player.

adox wrote: »
    The house metaphors are bizarre and not in any way needed.

i'm sorry

All this talk of Madrid not wanting him. Isn't it only the president that doesn't want him and the players and staff are unhappy that he is being let go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I wonder how much it would take to get Vidal a player United (any team) needs badly.

If United offered £60m I don't think Juve would say no

i'm sorry

Wasn't a personal dig,sorry, and they have being going on for a few weeks on here.

0028673 wrote: »
    I wonder how much it would take to get Vidal a player United (any team) needs badly.

If United offered £60m I don't think Juve would say no

Would United pay that, isn't there concerns over his fitness? Having said that whats the alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

He had a great game at OT last season,the tackle he made on Welbeck was outstanding

Yeah, he has serious pace too which is a great added attribute for a defensive mf player. I know Arsenal are interested in him and I'm sure Liverpool gave him serious thought during their raid but neither are exactly short in the midfield area. Same goes for Chelsea and City. We wouldn't even have any competition (unless you count spurs lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lol at the opposition fans coming in and trying to convince us this is bad business.

Many opposition fans couldn't understand the signing of Mata either, even if Moyes made a balls of it.

£100 Million or whatever it is, is pretty mind blowing money for what many, including plenty of United fans, see as luxury signings. Brilliant signing but depends on the rest of your transfer business yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Wasn't a personal dig,sorry, and they have being going on for a few weeks on here.

Genuinely didn't know that! It does feel like buying something fancy that you don't really need when there's areas that need immediate fixing.

The rumours re Welbeck will grow even more now.

I expect another signing, and 2 or 3 to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

All this talk of Madrid not wanting him. Isn't it only the president that doesn't want him and the players and staff are unhappy that he is being let go?

I think so, Perez is after colombian money, Argentina don't have any money.

Or maybe he just wants to make sure Ancelotti picks James to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

£60 million according to the Guardian. That's a heck of a lot of money. Especially for a player who doesn't score too often. Still a brilliant player but Real must think all their christmas's have come at once.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think so, Perez is after colombian money, Argentina don't have any money.

Or maybe he just wants to make sure Ancelotti picks James to play.

Di Maria leaving means they have room in the squad for Falcao.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Many opposition fans couldn't understand the signing of Mata either, even if Moyes made a balls of it.

£100 Million or whatever it is, is pretty mind blowing money for what many, including plenty of United fans, see as luxury signings. Brilliant signing but depends on the rest of your transfer business yet.

I do think Di Maria(if it happens) while can be seen as a luxury signing, or certainly not a priority isn't comparable to Mata. Mata was bought with top players in his position already at the club. The same certainly can't be said of Di Maria. Plus he has pace to burn, something the team are severely lacking and is more likely to turn a game on his own than Mata.

Sorry, what does a "luxury signing" mean? First I've heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads were signing Angel Di Maria...hes 26... Madrids second best player after the best player in the world!!! ****ing hell!!! Spend ANY amount on him! Get him done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Honestly?
    James is fecking unreal!

Remember when he used to be called Rodriguez and was signing for United?

He is a bit over hyped right now tbf

K-9 wrote: »

A Di Maria type player is required for Utd just not no1 priority but given its a position that needs addressing, Utd may think they shouldn't pass up the opportunity to sign a winger of that caliber. I'm sure they appreciate CM and CB is more of a priority.

• Advertisement

All the Adidas money is dependent on us getting into the champions league next season and winning the league within 3 years.

Wrong.

Actually, I prefer this way of saying it.

Did you ever buy a luxury item for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What' s going to happen with Mata?. Kagawa will probabaly go back to Dortmund I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

See Nani was subbed after 77 mins tonight, anyone know how he played? I see he had a goal disallowed after 63 mins and missed an early peno too but it seems like he was heavily involved. My own personal feelings on his loan is it was a sneaky way of paying Sporting an extra £5 million that they did not have to share with the group who owned Rojo.

Hope the move works for him, although he clearly is not rated by LVG, I still love him when he is on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Telegraph going with £60m. New Premiership record (Torres £50m).

They also reckon LVG hopes to sign 3 new players before the window closes.
    Negotiations were re-opened on Thursday with United, until that point, having balked at Real's asking price and also Di Maria's personal demands. But despite having opened talk to sign a possible alternative, Shaktar Donetsk's Douglas Costa, United have decided to take the plunge and make an enquiry for Di Maria.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads were signing Angel Di Maria...hes 26... Madrids second best player after the best player in the world!!! ****ing hell!!! Spend ANY amount on him! Get him done!!!
    Real-Madrids-Gareth-Bale-011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

So the picture that Rojo 'liked' on Instagram is coming to life! :pac:

image.jpg

Did you ever buy a luxury item for yourself?

Yes I did.

Never heard of football managers buying luxury players mind.

Yes I did.

Never heard of football managers buying luxury players mind.

Mata
    Veron

One that would be nice, but not exactly necessary

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement