Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just thinking back to earlier in the summer when the World Cup was in its latter stages, didn't RVP ðrop a huge hint that a Dutch player would sign for Utd, something along the lines of "I can't say" or words to that effect?

Edit: I'm getting a bit carried away with all this transfer talk.

Cold turkey in the next fee days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well, sincerely taking some humble pie this evening. I'll have to bow to the greater majority, obviously I'm well wide of the mark.

In my defence, from the few posts I read back quoting me, I noticed that it was a different timeline of him being labelled world class. Someone said 4 seasons, someone said 18 months, someone said 6 years. Just felt like I didn't know who the hell he was until he was linked with us.

I'd imagine it was down to the Kroos effect, where nothing else compared to my Toni :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Trilla wrote: »
    Would United pay that, isn't there concerns over his fitness? Having said that whats the alternative?

Like you say it depends on his fitness but if I had the option of spending of money on Vidal or Di Maria it's a no brainer. I don't know what your budget is but Vidal is well worth signing regardless of the fee.

If ye sign both, and maybe one more quality CB than ye are genuine title contenders.

For me it's a toss up between Chelsea or Man City but things could change before the window closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Sky are saying the fee is £48m, rising to £56m if add ons are achieved. Arsenal set the bar with signing stars from Spain am afraid, Sanchez and Ozil made sure the minimum fee would be high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

See Nani was subbed after 77 mins tonight, anyone know how he played? I see he had a goal disallowed after 63 mins and missed an early peno too but it seems like he was heavily involved. My own personal feelings on his loan is it was a sneaky way of paying Sporting an extra £5 million that they did not have to share with the group who owned Rojo.

Hope the move works for him, although he clearly is not rated by LVG, I still love him when he is on form.

He did nothing of note in the first half. Bit more involved in the 2nd. For the peno, he should have let the regular peno taker, Adrien, take it but instead he thought he knew better.

Overall it was a low key first game from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes I did.

Never heard of football managers buying luxury players mind.

Probably more Mata than Di Maria really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mata
    Veron

Coco Chanel for that French club years ago. Bloody luxuries...

Mata
    Veron

Mata - yes.

Veron - most certainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Mata
    Veron
    kryogen wrote: »
    One that would be nice, but not exactly necessary

I'm learning some stuff on this thread.

So their just eye candy for us?

I always thought they were match winners and vital to the team.

Better tell Van Gall that and save £60.

Is Ronaldo "luxury" too or is it just Di Maria? I'm really confused here. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The issue for LVG if we do sign Di Maria (please God let it happen), is not how to fit him into the team but how to maximize his ability when he is in the team.

Madrid last year put him in their midfield three and they reaped the rewards, he was absolutely brilliant toward the end of the season when Real were challenging on all fronts. Trying to remember the game (think it could have been the home game against Bayern or the game vs. Barca) but surrounded by the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Modric etc, he was the one driving the team on and creating chance after chance. He has the pace and ability to hurt teams that we've been lacking so much the last year or two. Every attack we have is static, let the opposition get behind the ball and we can't find a way through. He can create something out of nothing.

He alone doesn't solve our issues (there's rumour Blind will be bought before the window closes too) but these kind of players have to be bought when the opportunity arrives and the fact he can play LWB, CM, AM, and as an orthodox winger in a 4-3-3 is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

It's so funny reading these quotes from opposition fans. Keep them coming, lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Are you seriously that out of touch? There's only a handful of clubs that could afford him for starters. I'm not a UTD fan, but Di Maria is one of the best players in the world. Top 5, I reckon.

He's probably the Madrid fan's second favorite player and they're livid he's leaving.

He's 26 years old so easily worth €75m. You've no idea how hard it is to sign this calibre of player.

Wouldn't consider myself out of touch now no. I'm not a United fan either so this isn't a bias thing against the club's hierarchy.

There's only a handful of clubs that could afford him? I agree. How does that change anything about what I said? There still doesn't seem to be any other club in for him.

I rate Di Maria very highly and i'm well aware of how good he is, although I don't consider him one of the top 5 players in the world and i'd be surprised if others did.

Answer me this, how is it that "one of the top 5 players" in the world isn't a starter for his own club and is being deemed expendable?

The fact that he wants to leave, Madrid are happy to sell and his wages are going to be very high are all factors that reduce his value. I know United are crying out for a big signing, but paying €75m for Di Maria is not that answer I'd be looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Is Ronaldo "luxury" too or is it just Di Maria? I'm really confused here. Cheers.

Di Maria isn't vital to this United team. A world class player, absolutely. An essential signing for United? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:) seen this on twitter
    Danny Welbeck is the U2 of football; neither as good as the fanatics believe nor as bad as the haters suggest.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well, sincerely taking some humble pie this evening. I'll have to bow to the greater majority, obviously I'm well wide of the mark.

In my defence, from the few posts I read back quoting me, I noticed that it was a different timeline of him being labelled world class. Someone said 4 seasons, someone said 18 months, someone said 6 years. Just felt like I didn't know who the hell he was until he was linked with us.

I'd imagine it was down to the Kroos effect, where nothing else compared to my Toni :(

Disgraceful from you. I want a one sentence apology.

(He won't be able to do it lads)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Vidal has emerged as a world class centre midfielder wihen he moved to Juventus,I don't think it would have mattered what club he was at, just a thing about maturing and fulfilling potential..... He was always a good talent though, as I said, 4 years ago he was being discused on this forum as a player fans (of other teams too) would have liked to have seen him signed.

It is really only the greater recognition from playing with a club like Juve that has upped him into the world class bracket in the eyes of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

0028673 wrote: »
    Like you say it depends on his fitness but if I had the option of spending of money on Vidal or Di Maria it's a no brainer. I don't know what your budget is but Vidal is well worth signing regardless of the fee.

If ye sign both, and maybe one more quality CB than ye are genuine title contenders.

For me it's a toss up between Chelsea or Man City but things could change before the window closes.

if there is serious concerns over vidals knees then it would be a very dangerous move spending that kinda money on him. in saying that why does it have to be one or the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

The money in football has gone nuts though. £60m isn't what £60m was even 5 years ago. I know I'm still guilty of thinking anything over 20 is crazy money and it is but speaking in relation to football universe.

As a wise man with a surname of Simpson once said: "You're living in the past Marge, quit living in the past".

Ross McCormack cost £11m and I'd wager ( figure of speech ) Di Maria is more than 6 times better :pac: He still had to actually be signed yet though :o

It's so funny reading these quotes from opposition fans. Keep them coming, lads. :)

Haven't you got a green and gold protest to be organising?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Sorry to burst your bubble but it doesn't matter who I support, its just my opinion. There will be plenty within your own fanbase who think the same

Who cares how much he costs? Unless you're a Glazer or a shareholder it's immaterial. United are signing a top quality player and, frankly, I for one think United blowing all their money on quality players is far better than using it to line the Glazers' pockets.

Seriously, at times I think there should be a United thread in the Finance section of boards.ie for all the people who want to talk about money.

Go to the Film section where people talk about movies, how many are banging on "yeah the movie was great but it cost too much to make".

I hope United continue to blow lots of money on good players. The alternative of a few parasites syphoning it off for themselves is far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The best thing about Boards is the fact fans of all allegiances can interact. Otherwise it would be the sort of cluster**** you get on Rawk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

magnumbud wrote: »
    if there is serious concerns over vidals knees then it would be a very dangerous move spending that kinda money on him. in saying that why does it have to be one or the other :D
    In truth, we shouldn't need Vidal. We already have a player who would be an absolute beast in central midfield. Quick, aggressive, skilled, an eye for a killer pass too.
    The problem is, he just doesn't want to play in that position.

Fescue wrote: »
    The best thing about Boards is the fact fans of all allegiances can interact. Otherwise it would be the sort of cluster**** you get on Rawk etc.

Except if you say something that goes against the grain.

The money in football has gone nuts though. £60m isn't what £60m was even 5 years ago. I know I'm still guilty of thinking anything over 20 is crazy money and it is but speaking in relation to football universe.

As a wise man with a surname of Simpson once said: "You're living in the past Marge, quit living in the past".

Ross McCormack cost £11m and I'd wager ( figure of speech ) Di Maria is more than 6 times better :pac: He still had to actually be signed yet though :o

In my head, £30m is still top drawer stuff. Anything over that is overspending. When we signed Mata for over £37m I winced a little. Throughout most of my United following, we've always spent less than £30m. It's a mental thing I'll have to get over. Football is an ever inflating bubble. It will pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Keno wrote: »
    Disgraceful from you. I want a one sentence apology.

(He won't be able to do it lads)

soz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A luxury player was already explained fairly dumbed down to you so not sure how anyone is gonna be able to help you understand since you are still confused about it tbh.

Lets take it back to 2+2

If you have, Rooney and RVP in your team and you really need a top quality central midfielder but choose to sign Radamel Falcao instead, you would be an idiot, and you would be signing a luxury player, in that he isn't actually needed really in the grand scheme of things, he would of course be nice to have in your team, but it would make more sense to address the more critical problem in your team since you are already well stocked in the striking department.

Still too hard to follow?

I am not sure I can be as condescending as you, ah hell, of course I can, I just don't feel like it right now.

Going by putting words in peoples mouth which you showed a flair for, in your opinion Charlie Adam is a match winner and vital to a team, we should just sign him, could save another £60, or if we are lucky maybe even £1m

soz

There is a three paragraph apology hidden in there somewhere. I'll find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Wouldn't consider myself out of touch now no. I'm not a United fan either so this isn't a bias thing against the club's hierarchy.

There's only a handful of clubs that could afford him? I agree. How does that change anything about what I said? There still doesn't seem to be any other club in for him.

I rate Di Maria very highly and i'm well aware of how good he is, although I don't consider him one of the top 5 players in the world and i'd be surprised if others did.

Answer me this, how is it that "one of the top 5 players" in the world isn't a starter for his own club and is being deemed expendable?

The fact that he wants to leave, Madrid are happy to sell and his wages are going to be very high are all factors that reduce his value. I know United are crying out for a big signing, but paying €75m for Di Maria is not that answer I'd be looking for.

Di Maria wants to leave Madrid after them signing Rodriguez. He put in a transfer request. I doubt they want to sell him.

It's been reported he doesn't want to sign for Chelsea under his old manager Mourinho. Paris Saint-Germain were also in for him and undoubtedly a few other clubs.
    Di Maria isn't vital to this United team. A world class player, absolutely. An essential signing for United? Absolutely not.

No one is saying there's not other areas that need addressing like central midfield, but these will come in time.

But I couldn't disagree more - a world class player like Di Maria is absolutely vital to a team like Man Utd right now.

From what I understand, and I'm certainly open to correction, he looked for a pay rise in the summer to bring him in line with the higher paid players at the club, after having his best season with them and being at worst their second best player last season.
    He was offered a rise by the president but nowhere what him or his camp were looking for. It's been seen as the president trying to push him out. No one else at the club wants him gone, not the players or the staff and are pretty unhappy about the whole situation. He's told the club he wants to leave.

He alone of course isn't going to sort out Utds problems. Everyone knows CM is as ever the big issue and another CB is probably needed, I say probably as Utd are currently playing with 3 at the back and are short in cover there IMO, but if Di Maria signs Van Gaal will most likely play with only 2 CBs and the need for more numbers in that position will be greatly reduced.

If the system is changed then Di Maria is certainly the type of player needed. Utd need a bit of directness and pace either way so it does make sense.

I agree the fees have gone crazy and Utd have to take a large chunk of the blame dilly dallying around all summer and leaving things so late to seemingly move for a big name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

BvwdpOeCIAAes5N.jpg

Ha

No one is saying there's not other areas that need addressing like central midfield, but these will come in time.

But I couldn't disagree more - a world class player like Di Maria is absolutely vital to a team like Man Utd right now.

Call me insane but I'd rather address the issues that need addressing before signing a player that isn't needed. Hoping these signings come in is crazy, if the transfer window closes with just Di Maria arriving then United will struggle for making a decent attempt at the top 4 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It seems to be the case that some people who complain about the lack of spending, then complain about how much we spend when we do. Can't please some it seems.

At the end of the day the club has the money. I know the club need players in other areas but does that mean we should turn down the option to add a world class player to our team? I think not, we have the money and if we do get Di Maria his inclusion can only help us.

Hopefully by Tuesday we have Di Maria signed and then bring in another player before the week is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Between 50 and 70 m for di Maria.

Where will he play what with Mata, Kagawa, Valencia etc etc...Will it be 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what..

All these figures...

Would be delighted with Di Maria, Blind and De Jong.

Would be delighted with Di Maria, Blind and De Jong.

would rather take a punt on lucas silva than de jong not a fan of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Between 50 and 70 m for di Maria.

Where will he play what with Mata, Kagawa, Valencia etc etc...Will it be 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what..

All these figures...

I reckon Kagawa, Zaha,Anderson and one of Welbeck\Hernandez will leave the club.

I expect another signing to come in, if not two.

Di Maria wants to leave Madrid after them signing Rodriguez. He put in a transfer request. I doubt they want to sell him.

It's been reported he doesn't want to sign for Chelsea under his old manager Mourinho. Paris Saint-Germain were also in for him and undoubtedly a few other clubs.
    Yes but the fact that he wants to leave forces Madrid's hand a bit. I'd imagine they'd rather sell him than keep an unhappy player on the bench.

Him wanting to leave and his high wage demands are two big enough factors for his transfer fee to be lower than €75m. Coupled with the fact that he isn't exactly a priority signing for United and I just don't see it as good business.

Don't get me wrong. I think he'll be a big success at United and will probably be their best player if he settles well and if I was a United fan I'd probably rather they just paid over the odds and brought in the quality, but they should've gotten him for much less than €75m.
    adox wrote: »
    From what I understand, and I'm certainly open to correction, he looked for a pay rise in the summer to bring him in line with the higher paid players at the club, after having his best season with them and being at worst their second best player last season.
    He was offered a rise by the president but nowhere what him or his camp were looking for. It's been seen as the president trying to push him out. No one else at the club wants him gone, not the players or the staff and are pretty unhappy about the whole situation. He's told the club he wants to leave.

He alone of course isn't going to sort out Utds problems. Everyone knows CM is as ever the big issue and another CB is probably needed, I say probably as Utd are currently playing with 3 at the back and are short in cover there IMO, but if Di Maria signs Van Gaal will most likely play with only 2 CBs and the need for more numbers in that position will be greatly reduced.

If the system is changed then Di Maria is certainly the type of player needed. Utd need a bit of directness and pace either way so it does make sense.

I agree the fees have gone crazy and Utd have to take a large chunk of the blame dilly dallying around all summer and leaving things so late to seemingly move for a big name.

Can't disagree with anything you've said here. I also think that a change of style is imminent and that this signing all but confirms that. He's a quality player that will improve the team, I just don't think they should pay €75m for him and I feel that the money could have been spent better.

I wonder what system will LVG change to that can accommodate Rooney, RVP, Mata and Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Now just vidal and hummels and we win the league.

Serious deadwood need to be cleared out, Anderson, cleverly, chico, Fellani, young, Kagawa etc.

Clearing out the deadwood is as important as signing new players in my opinion.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Haven't you got a green and gold protest to be organising?

Oh, I must have hit a nerve there, did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Might not be able to get a permit for him.

Oh, I must have hit a nerve there, did I?

Not even in the slightest, and just in the interest of fairness I should state I have mentioned you in another thread a few minutes ago.

Vidal would be the dream signing but De Jong was immense for Milan last season and for the touted under 10 million deal would be a good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anything happen since Balague was on SSN?? ... was busy watching the inbetweeners 2 - fcuking hilarious lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Who cares how much he costs? Unless you're a Glazer or a shareholder it's immaterial. United are signing a top quality player and, frankly, I for one think United blowing all their money on quality players is far better than using it to line the Glazers' pockets.

Seriously, at times I think there should be a United thread in the Finance section of boards.ie for all the people who want to talk about money.

Go to the Film section where people talk about movies, how many are banging on "yeah the movie was great but it cost too much to make".

I hope United continue to blow lots of money on good players. The alternative of a few parasites syphoning it off for themselves is far worse.

It is extremely simple to see how the money spent on one transfer will affect other transfers the club can make. Your argument is idiotic.

• Advertisement

0028673 wrote: »
    I wonder how much it would take to get Vidal a player United (any team) needs badly.

If United offered £60m I don't think Juve would say no

Vidal would have been available for around €50-€55m. Juventus are a top club but they don't have an abundance of cash. I feel that a €50m offer for Vidal would have been accepted earlier in the summer. They may be more reluctant to sell now that there's little time to find a replacement however.

Also, if United pay €75m for Di Maria then they can expect to pay an extra 10-20% for every big player they buy because teams will feel they can milk them for more money and they'd have every reason to think that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Blind would be very underwhelming tbh, surprised United are interested

Vidal would be the dream signing but De Jong was immense for Milan last season and for the touted under 10 million deal would be a good signing.

just dont like him. think he is a glorified thug a dutch joey barton
    8-10 wrote: »
    Blind would be very underwhelming tbh, surprised United are interested

really? was great in the world cup and was the best player in the dutch league last year. maybe might end up a squad utility player but those kinda players win you leagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

According to Jonathan Northcroft, LVG sees Di Maria as a left sided central midfielder, a role he has played brilliantly for Madrid I think on occasion.

Vidal is not on LVG's list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Vidal would have been available for around €50-€55m. Juventus are a top club but they don't have an abundance of cash. I feel that a €50m offer for Vidal would have been accepted earlier in the summer. They may be more reluctant to sell now that there's little time to find a replacement however.

Also, if United pay €75m for Di Maria then they can expect to pay an extra 10-20% for every big player they buy because teams will feel they can milk them for more money and they'd have every reason to think that.

Yeah I'm sure the difference to how it is now will be huge :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement