Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

Seeing more Liverpool fans than United one's in the United thread is weird.

It was 4 in the morning tbf!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

adox wrote: »
    That's not what you said. You made a very tasteless remark about signing any Argentinians because of your view on them based on Veron, Heinze and Tevez.

I questioned the wisdom of the signing on the basis of the trouble we've had in the past with Argentinian players such as Heinze and Tevez. Now Rojo appears to be in trouble for assaulting someone.

But no, carry on attacking me even though I'm usually spot on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'm 36. Have been watching and playing football me whole life. So give over with your condescending posts. It's rather immature.

And LVG also plays a 4-3-3 when he the players to suit that system. He hasn't bought Di Maria to play at left wing back ahead of Luke Shaw. If you think that, you need your head examined.

You're 36???? Well that does make me laugh.

I know he hasnt bought Di Maria, it isn't finalised yet. I also said that if it does go ahead then playing him in central midfield is the only position that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

djPSB wrote: »
    You would also have to question, if Di Maria cares about football and wants to win the biggest trophies in the game, why he would join a club not in the CL.

Obviously money talks. But apart from that, maybe he likes the prospect of helping get Utd back into the CL, and thinks that is achievable in one season.
    Utd’s demise in the last 12 months is the talk of the football world, there is a lot of pride and reputation on offer to players who become the catalysts that turn that around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I know he hasnt bought Di Maria, it isn't finalised yet. I also said that if it does go ahead then playing him in central midfield is the only position that makes sense.

Oh? Why so funny?

Also to go back to the Sunday supplement, these are the same guys that were questioning Utds starting 11 last week and the quality of it, based on how many were starters for their countries, and mentioned Mata and De Gea!!!

Just to give a bit of perspective.

That's the kind of delusion that has us in this mess.

De Gea is an excellent goalkeeper but the fact of the matter is that everyone outside of Old Trafford thinks that there are better Spanish goalkeepers.

And as for Mata, NOBODY WANTED HIM. The only people who think that he's one of the best players in the world frequent this thread. Mata has been a disastrous signing. Mourinho wanted rid of him and didn't fancy him at all. No other clubs showed any interest. He's a legend on these pages - Nothing more.

Seems like more Liverpool fans in here than united fans. Haha.

DiMaria is a wonderful player, and despite what the opposition fans, and a couple of pretenders, are saying, he is a player we badly need.

Anyone who has been watching united over the last twelve months will know one of our biggest problems has been the pace of our play. It's far too slow and predictable, and has been crying out for someone with pace and trickery to speed things up, and to get the opposition on the back foot.

Yes, we need a central midfielder too. And I firmly believe we will get one this week.

It isn't a Utd only thread.

Di Maria is a very good player but it's no harm anyone pointing out (without being a dick about it) that it's not what Utd need as a priority. Sign a top CM and a CB and people will sit up and people will take notice for sure.

Oh? Why so funny?

I won't derail the thread by discussing it.

Go ahead. Don't make remarks like that if you're not going to back it up with an explanation.

• Advertisement

Go ahead. Don't make remarks like that if you're not going to back it up with an explanation.

If you want to discuss LVG and his tactics and formations, or how Di Maria could fit into those I'll happily talk about it.

Funny that you're intimating that I'm immature when you are the one making childish remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It isn't a Utd only thread.

Di Maria is a very good player but it's no harm anyone pointing out (without being a dick about it) that it's not what Utd need as a priority. Sign a top CM and a CB and people will sit up and people will take notice for sure.

That's a fair point and hopefully more players come in as well next week.

*cant believe I am saying that as I was convinced no one would be signed after Rojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Seems like more Liverpool fans in here than united fans. Haha.

DiMaria is a wonderful player, and despite what the opposition fans, and a couple of pretenders, are saying, he is a player we badly need.

Anyone who has been watching united over the last twelve months will know one of our biggest problems has been the pace of our play. It's far too slow and predictable, and has been crying out for someone with pace and trickery to speed things up, and to get the opposition on the back foot.

Yes, we need a central midfielder too. And I firmly believe we will get one this week.

Which is why I could never ubderstand the Mata signing.

If you want to discuss LVG and his tactics and formations, or how Di Maria could fit into those I'll happily talk about it.

Playing a 4-3-3 he can play as the left sided player of the midfield three, or up top in a wide attacking role. Both of which he has played for real mardrid in the last year.
    In the system LVG has played so far this season, he can play off the front two or as the free floating role that robben played in the World Cup.

He won't be deployed as a conventional central midfielder in a two. Or as a wing back.
    He may have to fill the latter role if there are a lot of injuries but it will be rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Playing a 4-3-3 he can play as the left sided player of the midfield three, or up top in a wide attacking role. Both of which he has played for real mardrid in the last year.
    In the system LVG has played so far this season, he can play off the front two or as the free floating role that robben played in the World Cup.

He could also play alongside Herrera and at wingback if absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement

If he plays off the front 2 or as one of the front 2,who do you drop?

He will play in central midfield if he is signed, of that I have no doubt. The reason I posted in here about him was because I don't believe he is the answer to Uniteds midfield woes. Am I wrong?

If everyone is fully fit, LVG will not play 4-3-3. It is really that simple.

I questioned the wisdom of the signing on the basis of the trouble we've had in the past with Argentinian players such as Heinze and Tevez. Now Rojo appears to be in trouble for assaulting someone.

You still seem oblivious to the tastelessness of your argument above.

I won't be debating with you anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Going back to what you said earlier, about his formations, Full Backs were always used to provide the width in his teams so no way Di Maria is going to fill those roles if signed. He has not used three centre backs that often since Ajax and he normally used a midfield player to shield defence, drop back to defence so for him its not a major difference between 3/5 at the back or 4.

Van Gaal has changed his set up on many occasions, regular similarities are how he used the Full Backs and how forwards that started wide came inside or midfielders broke forward from their base positions Di Maria could perform either role or simply play as as forward like Robben at the World Cup.

Players like Di Maria offer fantastic options.

He will play in central midfield if he is signed, of that I have no doubt. The reason I posted in here about him was because I don't believe he is the answer to Uniteds midfield woes. Am I wrong?

United have more than one problem, so obviously any one player is not the answer. Signing one central midfielder instead would not solve the problems.

And it is not that simple at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No problem with Pool fans discussing United topics, but if you want to keep that sort of thing up, you'll be finding your involvement in this thread ending pretty quick....

• Advertisement

Has anybody on here said he is the answer to Utds midfield woes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You're wrong about 352 being Lvgs formation for a long time anyway. He only started using it with Holland in the friendlies coming up to the world cup mainly down to the loss of Strootman.

He's mostly a 433 man.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Going back to what you said earlier, about his formations, Full Backs were always used to provide the width in his teams so no way Di Maria is going to fill those roles if signed. He has not used three centre backs that often since Ajax and he normally used a midfield player to shield defence, drop back to defence so for him its not a major difference between 3/5 at the back or 4.

Van Gaal has changed his set up on many occasions, regular similarities are how he used the Full Backs and how forwards that started wide came inside or midfielders broke forward from their base positions Di Maria could perform either role or simply play as as forward like Robben at the World Cup.

Players like Di Maria offer fantastic options.

I completely agree he could play the "Robben" role but that goes back to the question I just asked, who takes a seat on the bench? The club captain? His darling from the Netherlands? Mata?

I really don't think he is being signed to play as part of a front 2 or 3 when everyone is fully fit, of course he will play there throughout the season due to injuries, suspensions and change of tactics during games but LVGs first choice team will see Di Maria lineup alongside Herrera in midfield IMO.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Which is why I could never ubderstand the Mata signing.

Careful now. If you don't think that everything at Old Trafford is rosy or if you dare to query whether Juan Mata's been a good signing, the mob will be after you.

This thread is a joke. Myopic fanboys posting pictures of jokers like Berbatov and Mata and high fiving each other about how great they are.

Mata has been a disatrous signing. £37m! He is a Chelsea reject. Mourinho didn't rate him at all. The Spanish don't fancy him either. No other clubs wanted him. And since he signed for us, he has done sweet FA. He's just been lucky in that Fellaini's been so bad so it's probably deflected some of the attention from him. A panic buy who we overpaid for in an area that didn't need strengthening.

You heard it here first - Di Maria will be one of the worst signings in the club's history. Why?

- Real Madrid want rid of him.
    - Nobody else wants him.
    - We have more urgent needs.
    - Our experience with Argentinian players have been shocking.
    - He won't be able to handle the rough and tumble.

United have more than one problem, so obviously any one player is not the answer. Signing one central midfielder instead would not solve the problems.

And it is not that simple at all.

Signing Vidal would instantly solve the problem with midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Imagine Moyes had said this?

http://bbc.in/VMAos1

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're wrong about 352 being Lvgs formation for a long time anyway. He only started using it with Holland in the friendlies coming up to the world cup mainly down to the loss of Strootman.

He's mostly a 433 man.

You know he managed before he got the Holland job right?

You still seem oblivious to the tastelessness of your argument above.

I won't be debating with you anymore.

You seem oblivious to everything. Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Happy days in here today lads!

I do but it's not me who needs to go back and look at what formation he's used more regularly.

He's been a 433 manager for most of his career. Whether that'll change at United remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're making plenty of us laugh too!

It makes a nice change from the perpetual melancholy in here.

Thanks buddy :)

Have you anything to add to the conversation? Here, have a "thanks" for your effort, that's obviously what you are after.

Edit: aww, why did you delete your post?

I completely agree he could play the "Robben" role but that goes back to the question I just asked, who takes a seat on the bench? The club captain? His darling from the Netherlands? Mata?

I really don't think he is being signed to play as part of a front 2 or 3 when everyone is fully fit, of course he will play there throughout the season due to injuries, suspensions and change of tactics during games but LVGs first choice team will see Di Maria lineup alongside Herrera in midfield IMO.

I don't think he would be bought to specifically play a Robben role either, not long term.

If he does 1)sign and 2)end up beside Herrera it won't be the long term plan. It would be while he waited for Strootman or someone like that to play in midfield.
    "At this moment, we have five No9s and four No10s - and we don't have wingers to give us attacking width. Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that.

He would want Di Maria where he is at his most dangerous in the medium/long term imo.

Guys, this Van Gaal character is a spoofer and a has been.

"We need a miracle to win the title"

Do you think that Fergie would say that? If Moyes said it, he'd be pilloried.

Van Gaal's glory days were a long time ago. He was sacked by Bayern Munich. Is that what we aspire to? To be managed by a guy who was deemed substandard by Bayern Munich.

But no. Let's all hold hands and post funny pictures of "The Iron Tulip".

Not giving the job to Mourinho will go down in history as one of the terrible decisions.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't think he would be bought to specifically play a Robben role either, not long term.

If he does 1)sign and 2)end up beside Herrera it won't be the long term plan. It would be while he waited for Strootman or someone like that to play in midfield.

He would want Di Maria where he is at his most dangerous in the medium/long term imo.

In that case, it could be a long season on the bench for Mata. Di Maria is a far superior player. Januzaj could suffer from this signing too, his appearances could get very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Signing Vidal would instantly solve the problem with midfield.

In a way it may go some way to solving problems at the back. Going from 352 to 433 will mean there is pretty decent cover. I'd like another midfielder however

Prediction:

Van Gaal will be gone before the end of the season.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Decent if playing in the championship! !
    bar maybe the front 3 thats not a bad side at all. maybe not gonna win you leagues but playing in the championship is a overly harsh
    Zico wrote: »
    It is if you're 2-0 up already.

yup when you sometimes need to score a 3rd to kill the game it is

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think Di Maria is a great signing and would walk into any of last season's top 4 starting 11s. He'll surely be played wide imo. Far from a luxury signing I think considering how poor the wide players at United are and if anything this deal (provided it does go through) worries me that the other deficiencies in the squad will be actually addressed in the next 2 weeks. I liked United better when Herrera and Shaw were their only signings.

Van Gaal's glory days were a long time ago. He was sacked by Bayern Munich. Is that what we aspire to? To be managed by a guy who was deemed substandard by Bayern Munich.

Not giving the job to Mourinho will go down in history as one of the terrible decisions.

You couldn't be more wrong about him.

I said it a while ago, it will take the players a few months to come around to his system and methods. I'm expecting poor results (like Swansea) regularly until Christmas, then a late push for the top 4. Next season is when you will see him and his system at their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zico wrote: »
    If LVG's stated tactics involved a winger then I'd agree we needed one.

Based on rumour of a Di Maria transfer we're supposed to believe he's ditching 3-4-1-2 after just 45 mins against Swansea.

It would look like he's reached for the panic button after 1 game and that doesn't seem like his way at all.

August 10th
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9415387/transfer-news-louis-van-gaal-hails-angel-di-maria-as-he-hints-at-signing-a-winger

LVG:
    "It is a strategy of Manchester United to do that. At this moment, we have five No.9s and four No.10s – and we don’t have wingers to give us attacking width."Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary."

He spoke of his need for a Ronaldo or a Di Maria, so we are getting Di Maria....

It does suggest strongly that he is changing planning on changing the formation.

Prediction:

Van Gaal will be gone before the end of the season.

You heard it here first.

Is this like your prediction that we would sign Vidal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Van Gaal is a 433 man. Look at the teams he picked for his three champions league finals in 95,96 and 2010 and his Barcelona team definitely didn't use wing backs

You couldn't be more wrong about him.

I said it a while ago, it will take the players a few months to come around to his system and methods. I'm expecting poor results (like Swansea) regularly until Christmas, then a late push for the top 4. Next season is when you will see him and his system at their best.

He won't be there next season.

The more I see of him, the more I realise that he's a bluffer.

Because he's Dutch, people are in awe of him. He's like a fella from Auckland spoofing down in the rugby club ordering people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Getting to the world cup semi finals with the under dogs that were the Netherlands = has been???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

People really shouldn't be rising to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Imagine Moyes had said this?

http://bbc.in/VMAos1

If you read your own link you'll see LVG points out he achieved a miracle in winning the domestic treble in his first season at Bayern. Moyes would never have been able to say that.

Nevermind that.
    "The problem I have at United is that the selection is not balanced. There are five number nines and six number 10s - and we don't have enough defenders."

Di Maria won't help solve either of those problems unless we're part exchanging one of our 9 or 10s.

[Edit] I hadn't seen the full quote before
    ""Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary."

Ok he wants Di Maria. Still means we'll have attacking players coming out ears while we don't have the defensive players we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

He won't be there next season.

The more I see of him, the more I realise that he's a bluffer.

Because he's Dutch, people are in awe of him. He's like a fella from Auckland spoofing down in the rugby club ordering people around.

Oh the irony of calling him a spoofer!!!

So now we know you dont like people from Argentina, New Zealand and Holland.......Larry, Larry, Larry

In that case, it could be a long season on the bench for Mata. Di Maria is a far superior player. Januzaj could suffer from this signing too, his appearances could get very limited.

Only if Van Gaal is intent on playing 3 at the back and using Di Maria Up front, which is not clear at all imo.

If it was me I would be lining up with 4-3-2-1, like the Gif of Van Gaals Barca time I posted last night, if I had four players like Di Maria, Mata, Rooney and Van Persie.

I would be more than happy to watch how Van Gaal gets the the best use of them if Di Maria is signed (not destined for PSG).

I don't think this discussion has anywhere else to go, not between us anyway! You have your thinking, I have mine, thanks for discussing :)

Here is the man himself saying 433 is his system .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgAKZkX_yE#t=110

"my system 1433 because I'm always playing that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We got Post of the Day (well jaykay did)

Its Our Year Day!!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement