Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ancelotti confirmed in his press conference just now that DiMaria has said ta ta to his team mates. Although still no mention of United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Mongo wrote: »
    If we sign Di Maria Van Gaal has to switch to a 4-2-3-1 to accomodate all our attacking options. It would be like Chelsea's system. Herrera alongside a strong DM playing deep with Mata, Di Maria and Rooney playing just off RVP. I don't see any other way?

Maybe

rafa--Jones--Rojo--Shaw
    DM
    ----Di maria----Herrera--
    mata

RVP
    Rooney---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Phil Kitromilides @PhilKitro · 6m
    Ancelotti "Di Maria has said goodbye. We thanked him for everything he has done for the club. Its not official but the matter is resolved"

Phil Kitromilides @PhilKitro · 5m
    Ancelotti "The decision (to leave) was Di Maria's. The club did all they could to keep him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

HOLY ****

tumblr_mkxnewxFa11qzfjkho1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Bad news on Khedira.
    Phil Kitromilides ‏@PhilKitro 34s
    Ancelotti confirms Sami Khedira is staying at Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Manchester United winger Nani, 27, had a return to forget for Sporting Lisbon as he missed a penalty, got yellow carded and was substituted in the first game of his loan spell back at the Portuguese club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

New no7 angel di Maria like the sound of that

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    New no7 angel di Maria like the sound of that

It will be good to see a proper player deserving no7

They're such ****s though, when have you ever heard of a player saying goodbye but no mention of club he's going to. Wind up merchants.

twam2008 wrote: »
    Manchester United winger Nani, 27, had a return to forget for Sporting Lisbon as he missed a penalty, got yellow carded and was substituted in the first game of his loan spell back at the Portuguese club.

I see he's brought his current form with him to lisbon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Angel Di Maria is about to take a flight to Manchester to finalise a deal with Manchester United. [sky italia]

Carlo Ancelotti: "Di Maria said his goodbyes to players and staff this morning."

Break out the GIFs lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So I have to know how much money United have to spend in order to claim that the transfer won’t have an effect on the other potential transfers but it’s perfectly reasonable for you to claim that it will have an effect without any such knowledge? Nice double standard you’re using there.

What you actually said was blindingly obvious was how it was “extremely simple to see how the money spent on one transfer will affect the other transfers”… except it’s not easy to see at all is it? You haven’t got a breeze if United have a fixed transfer budget, if they do have one you’ve no idea how big that budget is and there is no way on earth you can know what impact signing Di Maria might have on that budget.

You can say it’s obvious there is a budget and the Di Maria signing impacts it and that it’s simple to see, that doesn’t make it a fact though, regardless of how condescendingly you want to preach your point. You’ve simply assumed that there is a fixed budget and that the prospective Di Maria transfer will use most of it up.

If United are trying to buy players, the most likely explanation is that they are working to set a list approved by LvG and are allocating resources accordingly in an organic fashion depending on which transfer targets become available and how the various negotiations are proceeding.

My position is based on the fact that United are, by far, the richest team in England and a combination of factors (increased earnings, other teams less able to compete owing to FFP and the current necessity for the Glazers to protect their asset by significantly investing) means this is the time to spend. Your whole position is based on the assumption that you know the budget is being severely impacted by the potential Di Maria signing because United are not one of the “sugar daddy” clubs. How is that, using your own logic, any less ridiculous?

You are making two assumptions. The first is the idea that there is a fixed budget that this transfer eats into significantly. You don’t know that there is a budget and if there is you certainly don’t know what it is. The second assumption is that the potential failure to sign other players will be a result of Di Maria’s arrival. This is nonsense, you’ve no idea if United are trying to buy anyone else at all, if they are you’ve no way of knowing who they are trying to buy and even if you could know that, you still wouldn’t have a clue how the Di Maria signing was impacting on those efforts. I could just as easily turn around and arbitrarily claim that it was “blindingly obvious” that the Di Maria transfer will help further signings because those players will see that United mean business and are on the right track. It might be true but it’s still just my opinion and it’s certainly not “blindingly obvious” and those who counter are not being idiotic since either assumption is based on nothing but opinion.

This block of text is ridiculously long winded and waffly. If you want to make whatever points you are trying to make in a concise manner then I will respond to them.
    So they had 94 million in the bank in September 2013 and access to 75 million in loans (which would result in more debt which we know the Glazers are not averse to incurring). Since then they’ve signed quite a few lucrative commercial deals, including the colossal Adidas deal, and there is a proposed sale of $200 million in shares, not to mention the extra money from the improved TV deal that kicked in last season. They’ve added players to the wage bill but also taken a good few top earners off. As you noted, those transfer prices, and indeed Di Maria’s transfer, will likely be paid in instalments, usually over the duration of the contracts, contracts that will run over the course of the aforementioned commercial deals (Adidas deal alone worth 75 million a year). How you can look at those figures and conclude that the Di Maria transfer prevents further signings I’ve no idea.

You are confusing the amortisation of fees with the cash paid. The recording of fees over the full length of a player's contract is an accounting treatment and does not represent the flow of cash.

The Adidas deal does not come into affect until next year.

A proposed sale of shares does not represent money available to spend now.

The TV money went up, but United's league position also went down. The net gain was only £28m.

The fact that the Glazers have shown themselves willing to pursue risky strategies in the past does not mean that we should be happy with them pursuing risky strategies. Taking on debt to buy players is a risky strategy. That is something that fans should very much care about.

Im so ****ing excited. so so so so so so happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

TheTownie wrote: »
    Bad news on Khedira.

Arsenal were heavily linked with him so maybe not so bad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All this talk of DiMaria cant be good coz real are selling him is nonsense.
    We sold Ronaldo, Spurs sold Bale. Real are letting him ho because they have bought big this summer and are being offered over the odds. Doesnt mean they think he is rubbish

Didnt Barca sell Figo, ( or ther way round maybe!)

Players sometimes get a vibe to move on. We have obviously been able to offer him massive wages along with a strong belief that well be back inCL next year. The WC is over so this season is a good a time to take a chance, particularly is that chance involves guaranteed 1st team football, hugh wages and still a massive club.
    And lets face it, its because ed Woodward is doning such an amazing job on the commercial side of the business that we can even attempt this.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Careful now. If you don't think that everything at Old Trafford is rosy or if you dare to query whether Juan Mata's been a good signing, the mob will be after you.

This thread is a joke. Myopic fanboys posting pictures of jokers like Berbatov and Mata and high fiving each other about how great they are.

Mata has been a disatrous signing. £37m! He is a Chelsea reject. Mourinho didn't rate him at all. The Spanish don't fancy him either. No other clubs wanted him. And since he signed for us, he has done sweet FA. He's just been lucky in that Fellaini's been so bad so it's probably deflected some of the attention from him. A panic buy who we overpaid for in an area that didn't need strengthening.

You heard it here first - Di Maria will be one of the worst signings in the club's history. Why?

- Real Madrid want rid of him.
    - Nobody else wants him.
    - We have more urgent needs.
    - Our experience with Argentinian players have been shocking.
    - He won't be able to handle the rough and tumble.

Don't get me wrong I am not debating Mata s quality, a quick look at his pre Utd career will prove how good a player he is. What I am questioning is his suitability for Utd. at the time he was signed.

We had other glaring deficiencies that should have been addressed.

He could still be an excellent player for us, depends what we get in around him, pace like Di Maria's certainly helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You seem to do this a lot. Ironic for someone who earlier posted a link to logical fallacies.

I am not trying to win the argument against sReq | uTeK.

ssn transfer center mention blind and De Jong for a combined fee of 26m

That would be great business too

Come on Ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

****in get in. Di Maria on his way. Get a top central mid now Woody and get rid of the furniture i.e Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Hernandez and we will be in a good position this season.

Headshot wrote: »
    Im so ****ing excited. so so so so so so happy

what have you done with the real headshot?:p

NTMK wrote: »
    what have you done with the real headshot?:p

He'll be dead if we get Di Maria in

We need to get a chant going

Is it finally happening, are we finally getting players we need. Think I've figured out Ed's strategy. Wait till everyone else is done spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Marca -
    "The Italian coach of Real Madrid has confirmed in a press conference prior to the league start, but it is not yet official, Angel Di Maria leaves the club. This morning has been on leave of Valdebebas template. Also assumed solved the issue Khedira: German stays"

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that the Argentine striker has not trained today with the rest of the team because it has very close his move from Real Madrid. The player has gone through facilities Valdebebas to say goodbye to the staff and the coaching staff.

The Italian coach has confirmed its good relationship with the 'noodle' and has been to the player and not his, Di Maria leave the workforce.
    Moreover, it has also closed by the other white soap summer, Sami Khedira. He confirmed that the German player runs and now has him 100% because he is a player of the squad.

Before the departure of Di Maria, will not reach any new players, as Ancelotti says "has the middle of the field well covered with Isco, James, Khedira, Modric, Alonso and Illarra".

Translated from Spanish but the "Noodle" ?? ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Lads if we sign Di Maria...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

tumblr_lporoi3KEc1qfnpm7o1_500.gif

Bvj5JoMIUAA_oqu.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

ssn transfer center mention blind and De Jong for a combined fee of 26m

That would be great business too

Come on Ed

If we got DE Jong, Blind and Di Maria Woodward would deserve some serious praise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't mean this in a bad way, but if you are happy then I genuinely can't take anyone seriously if they are not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

3-5-2 is his formation, has been for a long time. If he is signing Di Maria it is to play him as a left wing back which makes no sense as Shaw was already signed for that position or else as a central midfielder.

Now, that wasn't so hard was it? But go ahead and tell me all about how it isn't actually his favoured formation and I am clueless about LVG and his management style despite the fact I have probably been watching his teams since before you were a twinkle in your father's eye.

Either this is a lie, or you haven't been watching his teams since anybody was a twinkle in their fathers eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

So Ancelotti confirms di María is gone. A step more.

From Balagues twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If we got DE Jong, Blind and Di Maria Woodward would deserve some serious praise.

He deserves alot of credit now with this signing but we need a CM. Hopefully Ed can deliver and shut the doubters up including myself.
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't mean this in a bad way, but if you are happy then I genuinely can't take anyone seriously if they are not happy.

I have no idea what your trying to say DM lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Pro. F wrote: »
    This block of text is ridiculously long winded and waffly. If you want to make whatever points you are trying to make in a concise manner then I will respond to them.

There is nothing waffly about it and the points are clear. I've made them several times and you still refuse to address them. If you don't want to address them that's fine but the approach of arbitrarily claiming that "this is obvious so I won't talk about it" or "this is waffly so I won't address it" is pretty silly.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are confusing the amortisation of fees with the cash paid. The recording of fees over the full length of a player's contract is an accounting treatment and does not represent the flow of cash.

The Adidas deal does not come into affect until next year.

A proposed sale of shares does not represent money available to spend now.

The TV money went up, but United's league position also went down. The net gain was only £28m.

The fact that the Glazers have shown themselves willing to pursue risky strategies in the past does not mean that we should be happy with them pursuing risky strategies. Taking on debt to buy players is a risky strategy. That is something that fans should very much care about.

Most transfers are paid in instalments, of course, some are not, but they often are and, in many cases, the instalments stretch over the entire length of the contract. This is particularly the case with larger transfers.

The Adidas deal kicks in next year, many if not all of these transfers will still be getting paid off by that time.

How do you know what the proposed share sale will be used for? Do you not think current spending is influenced by expected future income?

A 28 million increase in already good TV money is significant. 28 million goes a long way towards a transfer.

I don't think there is any need for the Glazers to touch the loan money but, if they were to do that, who is it risky for and in what way? The Glazers have piled debt on the club previously in order to pay for their purchase of the club. Debts the club can easily afford and is paying off.

I fail to see any risk in applying that same strategy to signing players. You might object but I wouldn't have an issue with that being the case. If you do, fair enough, just a difference of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Not too sure on Blind if he's saying he would prefer to play in a less physical league, sounds like excuses before he's even signed

I'd take De Jong as a stop gap if we get Strootman in at some stage in the next 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You know he managed before he got the Holland job right?

Do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

kryogen wrote: »
    Either this is a lie, or you haven't been watching his teams since anybody was a twinkle in their fathers eye

He's stopped replying to this topic since I put up a video of Van Gaal saying 433 is his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He's stopped replying to this topic since I put up a video of Van Gaal saying 433 is his system.

It'll be interesting to see how he lines up.

Will it be

Di maria - RVP - Rooney
    Mata- Herrera- Carrick/Fellani/Who?

Be interesting to see how they do in a 4-3-3. It doesn't look very balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sky Sports will go ****ing nuts next week with the days counting down and Uniteds wallet opening up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Nuts102 wrote: »

Why?

Anyone with the money could buy them.

If he landed Vidal or Hummels I'd lead the eulogies, because they require more than a fat cheque book to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Sky Sports will go ****ing nuts next week with the days counting down and Uniteds wallet opening up!

We wil be linked to everyone

Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Looking forward to the chants of "Argentina, Argentina" again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zico wrote: »
    Why?

If he landed Vidal or Hummels I'd lead the eulogies, because they require more than a fat cheque book to sign.
    Vidal wouldn't take more than a big cheque, would be no more difficult than di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Zico wrote: »
    Why?

Well said, all Woodward is doing is overpaying for players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

To the theme of the West Side Story song(Scarlett but still) Maria:

"Maria.....we just signed a guy called Maria"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement