Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is Kew changing his name when Di Maria signs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MagicIRL wrote: »

I should

DM-ARIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

bangkok wrote: »
    Lucas silva Douglas Costa Vidal?

doubt it would be costa if we get di maria. vidal would be amazing but just dont see it happening. silva could be good but could have work permit issues. i actually would say it will be de jong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I love larry. What a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Di Maria will be an awesome signing for United but not a chance he's top 5 player in the world as some have said. Not close... But that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great player for ye.

Personally I think United would have been better putting that cash to use and getting a top class cdm but if it doesn't have a big enough detrimental effect on the budget and you can still get one then it's perfect. (Note Daley blind doesn't count as top class but would still be a decent squad option)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A week left on the Vidal challenge.

Oh how id like a break from this place for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/503506963461074944

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/503503633078845440

... different amounts being thrown about €70-80m - will be very interesting how much it ends up being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So Ancelotti confirms di María is gone. A step more.

From Balagues twitter

Don't you feel that awful sting though, no mention of a buying club?

Got a real flash back to the Ronaldinho saga when I read CA's quotes

Wasn't Vidal suppose to be playing last night lads??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

irishfeen wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Juventus__fan/status/503459458840670208

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Vidal played most of the game

I think it's Arturoff though, closed book, especially if we're spending 55 million on Di Maria and maybe 10 maybe more on Blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Yeah, couldn't find any info on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would have preferred Reus over DI Maria, but maybe he doesn't want to come. Either way we need pace up front and a world class player for the no 7 shirt. Forget about worrying what system we will play. Thats LVG job and he will work around it. I tinker it will be 433. Now to get Vidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Vidal wouldn't take more than a big cheque, would be no more difficult than di Maria.

Vidal would be a lot harder to sign.

Di Maria wanted to leave Madrid, which paved the way for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I never knew Di Maria was so highly rated - seems crazy for them to spend a Bale/Ronaldo amount on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Di Maria would be a brilliant signing. Can never say no to a player like that coming in.

However, we still haven't addressed the issues. I don't get why we would leave signing Blind so late. If he's only going to cost 10m-15m why not get him wrapped up straight after the WC and get the pre-season with us. We could still be going after another CM target as we really do need an extra 2 in there. Also don't think we have the RB issue solved.

Happy with Di Maria but we are still a good bit short imo

Valmont wrote: »
    I never knew Di Maria was so highly rated - seems crazy for them to spend a Bale/Ronaldo amount on him.
    You have to remember we have entered the "David Luiz 50m" era in the transfer market ... Ronaldo/Messi would be astronomical money today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ye'll all look like fools when he ends up elsewhere. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I doubt Di Maria is coming to United unless he has been reassured more big signings are on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's clearly coming to United.... would have thought it was obvious at this stage.

Zico wrote: »
    Why?

Anyone with the money could buy them.

If he landed Vidal or Hummels I'd lead the eulogies, because they require more than a fat cheque book to sign.

Because in two transfer window he will have signed 4 midfielders, a potential world class lb and two world class signings in Mata and Di Maria.

Valmont wrote: »

Di Maria really, and I mean really, proved his worth in the last Classico of the 13/14 season. If you have the time, watch it. He was simply incredible. I mean seriously. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's clearly coming to United.... would have thought it was obvious at this stage.

Paging FutureGuy to isle 3, that's FutureGuy to isle 3

• Advertisement

Di Maria is one of the best players in the world. He is better than Sanchez, Rodriguez, Ribery, Hazard and on par with Robben imo. Very few better than him Ronaldo, Messi, Bale and Suarez after that maybe Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Look we all know Di Maria is a great player but let's not kid ourselves he's certainly not in the top 5 in the world.

If you wany to use the term world class in a sentence here is a sample..

Dimaria is world class.

Di Maria really, and I mean really, proved his worth in the last Classico of the 13/14 season. If you have the time, watch it. He was simply incredible. I mean seriously. Wow.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Di Maria will be an awesome signing for United but not a chance he's top 5 player in the world as some have said. Not close... But that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great player for ye.

Personally I think United would have been better putting that cash to use and getting a top class cdm but if it doesn't have a big enough detrimental effect on the budget and you can still get one then it's perfect. (Note Daley blind doesn't count as top class but would still be a decent squad option)

I would easily place him the top 10. And I'm not hyperboling because he's sigining for us. I have watched him the last 2 seasons.

Have a look at the game last week when he came on as a sub in the super cup first leg he was awesome and changed the game for Madrid.

He was on the bench and not coming on due to the transfer stuff and look what happened in the second leg.

Real Madrid are selling arguably there best player.
    I actually think it's a really bad move from Madrid this year and they will miss him big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"24 hour signings."

I have the mental image of Van Gaal following Woodward around with a stopwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I presume we can just ignore that City tryng to hijack the UTD deal for Di Maria beause it was written by Duncan Castles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There is nothing waffly about it and the points are clear. I've made them several times and you still refuse to address them. If you don't want to address them that's fine but the approach of arbitrarily claiming that "this is obvious so I won't talk about it" or "this is waffly so I want address it" is pretty silly.

Okay, since you won't do me the courtesy of making a concise argument I will go back to that post, sift through the awful waffle, draw out the points and address them. I'll write a separate post to follow this one.
    1 Again, you are again assuming all sorts and treating it as fact. Most transfers are paid in instalments, of course, some are not, but they often are and, in many cases, the instalments stretch over the entire length of the contract. This is particularly the case with larger transfers.

2 The Adidas deal kicks in next year, many if not all of these transfers will still be getting paid off by that time.

3How do you know what the proposed share sale will be used for? Do you not think current spending is influenced by expected future income?

4 A 28 million increase in already good TV money is significant. 28 million goes a long way towards a transfer.

5I don't think there is any need for the Glazers to touch the loan money but, if they were to do that, who is it risky for and in what way? The Glazers have piled debt on the club previously in order to pay for their purchase of the club. Debts the club can easily afford and is paying off.

I fail to see any risk in applying that same strategy to signing players. You might object but I wouldn't have an issue with that being the case. If you do, fair enough. 6Just a difference of opinion.

1 I am not assuming anything. You are incorrect about what the amortisation of transfer fees over the life of a contract actually represents.

2 See point 1

3 I didn't say anything about what I think the possible future share money might be used for. Potential future earnings might indeed encourage the Glazers to spend more of the cash reserves now. That does not mean that the cash reserves are unlimited, nor that they are so big that the proposed fees would be made insignificant.

4 £28m represents less than half of the proposed Di Maria fee.

5 It is risky for the financial stability of the football club. The club managed to pay off a lot of the debts during a time when we had the best manager in the history of the game and one of the best players working their magic on a comparatively small budget and the Glazers sold 10% of the club. Taking on debt to buy players is risky, because there is no guarantee that they will bring the on field success that would be required to pay back the debts. Football is not that predictable.

6 Indeed it is just a difference of opinion. I hope you can see now, that despite your ludicrous earlier protestations to the contrary, you do in fact care about how much players cost and how their purchases affect the club finances.

1So I have to know how much money United have to spend in order to claim that the transfer won’t have an effect on the other potential transfers but it’s perfectly reasonable for you to claim that it will have an effect without any such knowledge? Nice double standard you’re using there.

2 What you actually said was blindingly obvious was how it was “extremely simple to see how the money spent on one transfer will affect the other transfers”… except it’s not easy to see at all is it? You haven’t got a breeze if United have a fixed transfer budget, if they do have one you’ve no idea how big that budget is and there is no way on earth you can know what impact signing Di Maria might have on that budget.

You can say it’s obvious there is a budget and the Di Maria signing impacts it and that it’s simple to see, that doesn’t make it a fact though, regardless of how condescendingly you want to preach your point. You’ve simply assumed that there is a fixed budget and that the prospective Di Maria transfer will use most of it up.

3 If United are trying to buy players, the most likely explanation is that they are working to set a list approved by LvG and are allocating resources accordingly in an organic fashion depending on which transfer targets become available and how the various negotiations are proceeding.

1 The fact that I don't know the exact figure of the cash reserve at this precise moment (weeks before the release of the end of year numbers) does not mean that I have no knowledge on the cash reserve. I know what the cash reserve was at the end of the last financial year and I know what type of year we have just had.

You demonstrated earlier that you had no knowledge of United's cash reserves, so your opinion that Di Maria's signing would represent an insignificant fraction of the available money was baseless.

2 If you are trying to propose the idea that United may have an unlimited amount of money to spend then you are incorrect. There is most certainly a limit on how much money United can spend and it is very closely related to the cash reserves which we do know a lot about.

3 I haven't said anything to the contrary.
    My position is based on the fact that United are, by far, the richest team in England and a combination of factors (increased earnings, other teams less able to compete owing to FFP and the current necessity for the Glazers to protect their asset by significantly investing) means this is the time to spend. 1: Your whole position is based on the assumption that you know the budget is being severely impacted by the potential Di Maria signing because United are not one of the “sugar daddy” clubs. How is that, using your own logic, any less ridiculous?

You are making two assumptions. The first is the idea that there is a fixed budget that this transfer eats into significantly. 2: You don’t know that there is a budget and if there is you certainly don’t know what it is. The second assumption is that the potential failure to sign other players will be a result of Di Maria’s arrival. This is nonsense, you’ve no idea if United are trying to buy anyone else at all, if they are you’ve no way of knowing who they are trying to buy and even if you could know that, you still wouldn’t have a clue how the Di Maria signing was impacting on those efforts. I could just as easily turn around and arbitrarily claim that it was “blindingly obvious” that the Di Maria transfer will help further signings because those players will see that United mean business and are on the right track. It might be true but it’s still just my opinion and it’s certainly not “blindingly obvious” and those who counter are not being idiotic since either assumption is based on nothing but opinion.

1: Incorrect. My argument that the Di Maria signing would represent a significant proportion of the money available for transfers is based on my knowledge of the publicly available financial data for the club.

2: Just on this point again, lol at the idea that there is no budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have get Kheidra too.

Actually i will change it if he gets Vidal too.

J. Marston wrote: »
    "24 hour signings."

Alex Song at 26 would be an investment and just the type of player we need, the same feeling about Khedira.

De Jong I really like but his age concerns me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

J. Marston wrote: »
    "24 hour signings."

I think he means he sends Jack Baeur to get the deal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

One thing is obvious, LVG is very strict with signings and will only sign who wants, or he will walk. Have to admire that, man of principles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

adox wrote: »
    I think he means he sends Jack Baeur to get the deal done.

He'll just shoot or torture everyone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

He will do a lot if damage in the PL. If we got Vidal it would be orgasmic.

De Gea

Rafeal--Evans--Rojo--shaw

Vidal--Herrera--Di Maria

Mata

Rooney--RVP

Some guy watching NBC's coverage of the BPL said this just happened
    Rebecca Lowe just reported on NBC'S coverage of the BPL (in America) that when questioned as to why DiMaria was absent from training Ancelotti said that they'd tried everything to keep him but he has chosen to go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Alex Song at 26 would be an investment and just the type of player we need, the same feeling about Khedira.

De Jong I really like but his age concerns me.

Yes, but De Jong has experience with the manager. We're really lacking that in the team. Two of Song/Blind/De Jong would be great. Strootman will be in in January anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

good video could have done without the minute of him being on the ground

Pyjamarama wrote: »

The best one in the world (Vidal) is currently recovering from knee injury and LVG's favourite (Strootman) is the same. So it could well be a case of Di Maria now and one of the others in January. That would make a lot of sense if that's the plan they are pursuing.

One thing is obvious, LVG is very strict with signings and will only sign who wants, or he will walk. Have to admire that, man of principles.

Ye was it before at some club the director signed a player and LVG refused to play him.

On the soccer subreddit Madrid fans are very unhappy DiMaria is going. Lots of "**** perez" going around.

They rate Di Maria very highly. If it happens we are getting a good player.

If we end the window with CB and CM too it will be great. If the MF is Vidal I'll build a staue of Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

At this stage now I would be happy with 4th place and the FA cup, get things together in the next 12 months and challenge for the league next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 6m
    Di María will travel to Manchester tomorrow afternoon and wants all sorted to play against Burnley. With the number 7

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ye can watch all your little youtube videos and post all your funny sexy gifs. Doesn't matter a jot.

Ye are all muppets if you think Di Maria is coming. His agent is flying to Europe, not the UK. That skysports journo is a spoofer. Most of twitter is on drugs..

Take a long hard look at yourselves and listen to FutureGuy. He'll be signed for PSG and they'll have a ticker tape parade down the Champs d'Elysee in his honor. When he is asked about United afterwards, he'll laugh at you. Each and every one of you.

Get out. Live your fcuking lives.

We are not signing Di Maria.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Was hoping to see him play in the MK dons game :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

His dribbling is outstanding. It's so tight.

LVG would describe it as "Toight loike a Toyga".

Shame we're not getting him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement