Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2year EU warranty and Apple

• 17-08-2014 10:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody exercise this right with apple?
    The external speaker has suddenly stopped working on my IP5 and it's just shy of 20 months old.

I've been chatting to them online on the apple support page and they are getting a consumer law person to call me tomorrow at 9.30.

Do we get the extended warranty?

I bought it in Belfast and using it in Eire so maybe that complicates matters?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You should be alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just on hold now. Checking with a supervisor.
    Telling me i may have to pay?

This is whats wrote on the support page if i enter my IMEI number :

Repairs and Service Coverage: Consumer Law Does Not Apply (International Purchase)
    This product isn't eligible for consumer law coverage because it was purchased in a different country from the one in which you are seeking service. Apple's 1-year limited warranty and benefits under AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ are separate from rights provided by consumer law (see details).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

afaik thats because consumer law doesn't apply to the manufacturer it applies to the retailer. So you have to take it back where you bought it. - see guil's link.

my3cents wrote: »
    afaik thats because consumer law doesn't apply to the manufacturer it applies to the retailer. So you have to take it back where you bought it. - see guil's link.

Yeah, i thought that alright. They are trying to see now if i can do it by the normal Apple postal service, if not, its a trip back up north.

• Advertisement

Ok, update :

Yes i have to go to the point of purchase.
    Apple appointment in Victoria Square for Sunday.
    Lucky enough, its only a 1hr50min drive :(

Anybody need anything picked up, let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

kceire wrote: »
    Yeah, i thought that alright. They are trying to see now if i can do it by the normal Apple postal service, if not, its a trip back up north.

My understanding is that Ireland didn't sign up to that EU law because we already have consumer law that has greater (longer) protection and that apple are quoting EU law to try and limit exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I bought my Macbook Air in 2012 in Galway and I've had it repaired twice in CompuB in Dublin under the EU warranty and each time you just have to keep asking. It's your right.

Another trick you can use is to get AppleCare to give you a 'Customer Order' which when you present to the repairer means they have to repair it, no questions asked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

my3cents wrote: »
    My understanding is that Ireland didn't sign up to that EU law because we already have consumer law that has greater (longer) protection and that apple are quoting EU law to try and limit exposure.

Apple only seem to quote it when it has been bought elsewhere i.e. Not their problem......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

As far s my reading in to this, the two year rule ( 6 years in the UK ) means you have two years to claim the device was faulty on receiving them.

So you claim the speaker was damaged back then and you are claiming for it now.

Again not sure If that is the case, but from what I read it isn't as clear cut as " 2 year warranty"/

Great that you are getting it fixed for free though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

flexcon wrote: »
    As far s my reading in to this, the two year rule ( 6 years in the UK ) means you have two years to claim the device was faulty on receiving them.

Again not sure If that is the case, but from what I read it isn't as clear cut as " 2 year warranty"/

2 year EU directive doesn't apply in Ireland. We have the Sale of a goods and supply of services Act 1980 which allows for up to 6 years.

flexcon wrote: »

Well I'm not 100% I'm getting it fixed tbh. She said they will inspect it and if it can't be fixed, they will replace it. But I didn't know I had to claim it was faulty on purchase, as it was not. It's only developed the problem this week.

I bought it on release day in September 2012 and it's been perfect since.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    2 year EU directive doesn't apply in Ireland. We have the Sale of a goods and supply of services Act 1980 which allows for up to 6 years.

I will be under he UK system though, as I bought in the Uk, no?

Well I'm not 100% I'm getting it fixed tbh. She said they will inspect it and if it can't be fixed, they will replace it. But I didn't know I had to claim it was faulty on purchase, as it was not. It's only developed the problem this week.

I bought it on release day in September 2012 and it's been perfect since.

I will be under he UK system though, as I bought in the Uk, no?

Yes, same applies in the UK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ok, update :

Yes i have to go to the point of purchase.
    Apple appointment in Victoria Square for Sunday.
    Lucky enough, its only a 1hr50min drive :(

Anybody need anything picked up, let me know :)

iPhone 6

godtabh wrote: »
    iPhone 6

its just a pity as i plan to go up for the 6 on launch day (style and size depending) but that will bring the phone outside the 2 year period, so im not chancing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

its just a pity as i plan to go up for the 6 on launch day (style and size depending) but that will bring the phone outside the 2 year period, so im not chancing it.

yeah not worth the risk. Be sweet if they replaced it for you. Would help with the resale value

godtabh wrote: »
    yeah not worth the risk. Be sweet if they replaced it for you. Would help with the resale value

keep it sealed and sell straght away LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

There is a European Small Claims Court procedure for this exact thing.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/BE71CDF8FCA10C8C80257559005F5C59?opendocument

*UPDATE*

Drove to Belfast today. Visited Genius Bar. And the phone was sent out to their technicians to replace the complete speaker module.

No questions, no arguments and no charge.

Advertisement