Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

No Hawkeye in the Limerick stadium either (or indeed anywhere outside Croke Park, according to the Sunday Game). That worries me a little, especially in what will probably be a very close game!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

washman3 wrote: »
    If for example, Cork had drawn with Kerry today in Croker, there would be total outcry if both were asked to travel to Dublin for a replay. Both would be more than happy to play in Limerick. Why should it be any different for Kerry/Mayo. Limerick is still virtually central to both, within reason.
    Horan should concentrate his efforts on getting Lee Keegans red card resinded so he can play next week, which I believe it should be.

Would be some decision if he does get it rescinded tbh, its a red by the rulebook, and a clear one at that because of the minimal force wording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

No Hawkeye in the Limerick stadium either (or indeed anywhere outside Croke Park, according to the Sunday Game). That worries me a little, especially in what will probably be a very close game!

True enough, we wouldn't have a replay if it wasn't for it!

It costs over €100k at the very least so just not feasible to install in other grounds. Although, maybe the redeveloped PUC will have it? It would want to at that cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Would be some decision if he does get it rescinded tbh, its a red by the rulebook, and a clear one at that because of the minimal force wording

Pat Horgans was rescinded last year and rightly so, that was also a red by the rule book but common sense prevailed and he was allowed play the next game. The Limerick played even spoke up in his favour.
    Lee Keegan deserves to play next week. There was very little in that 'kick'
    What disappointed me about it was Donncha Walshe pointing out to the ref what Keegan did and demanding a card. A bit rich coming from a player who commits more cynical fouls than most in every game.:mad:

True enough, we wouldn't have a replay if it wasn't for it!

It costs over €100k at the very least so just not feasible to install in other grounds. Although, maybe the redeveloped PUC will have it? It would want to at that cost!

Thurles will have it next year.

And Abbeyfeale after that so Kerry can have home semi-final replays...:P:P

Pat Horgans was rescinded last year and rightly so, that was also a red by the rule book but common sense prevailed and he was allowed play the next game. The Limerick played even spoke up in his favour.
    What disappointed me about it was Donncha Walshe pointing out to the ref what Keegan did and demanding a red card. A bit rich coming from a player who commits more cynical fouls than most in every game.:mad:

I'm not sure if Walsh was looking for a red card. He was looking for the Mayo free to be overturned alright and seemed to take more offence to the kick than Buckley did himself. I'd imagine Walsh thought Keegan would be booked at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Amprodude wrote: »
    You are only basing that from Galway to Dublin. People coming from Belmullet will have a longer distance than someone in Castlebar. Same with that in Kerry. Someone comibg from Cahirciveen will have longer to travel than someone from Abbeyfeale.
    You're going on about the distance Belmullet is away from venues and yet you're moaning about the match being played considerably closer to it than it would be if played in Croke Park.

This gets better.

Perhaps we should dig up and transport the whole county of Mayo down to Limerick, so you'll be closer to the Gaelic Grounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I was at last year's Munster hurling final and the match experience wiped the floor with anything I've experienced in Croke Park for at least a decade.

The atmosphere was far superior.

Atmosphere really depends on how the match unfolds, where you are in the stadium etc. Terraces are without doubt the best for atmosphere. My advice to fans would be to go to the city terrace.

So......who do people think will win the replay?

Will Donaghy and Moran start on the bench again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What disappointed me about it was Donncha Walshe pointing out to the ref what Keegan did and demanding a red card. A bit rich coming from a player who commits more cynical fouls than most in every game.:mad:

Henry Shefflins was rescinded too last year against Cork and Donnacha O Connors too against Kerry in 2008 semi final. I be hoping Mayo follow this up during the week so Keegan will be available to play Saturday.

Henry Shefflins was rescinded too last year against Cork and Donnacha O Connors too against Kerry in 2008 semi final. I be hoping Mayo follow this up during the week so Keegan will be available to play Saturday.

Mayo should get an answer tomorrow night. No pussyfooting about here. Its a 6 day turnaround so management need to know in time who is available.
    Keegan is a key player for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

You're going on about the distance Belmullet is away from venues and yet you're moaning about the match being played considerably closer to it than it would be if played in Croke Park.

This gets better.

Perhaps we should dig up and transport the whole county of Mayo down to Limerick, so you'll be closer to the Gaelic Grounds?

Amprodude's a cork man

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Shefflin's red wasn't rescinded, it was one of the yellow cards that was overturned, so there was no red - anyway, didn't carry a match suspension like O Connor's or Keegan's did.

I think O Connor's one was only rescinded because of the playacting of Aidan O Mahoney going down - wasn't known until the Thursday before the game

edit - O Connor's suspension wasn't rescinded - it coulnd't be imposed because of technicality, the wording in the referee's match report "He got off on a technicality because of the way the referee’s report was written" quote by Brennan, GAA president at the time "There was a wording in the referee’s report which was such that it was impossible to impose the penalty,"

Mayo should get an answer tomorrow night. No pussyfooting about here. Its a 6 day turnaround so management need to know in time who is available.
    Keegan is a key player for them.

CCCC sit down tomorrow night and go through the referees report and propose suspension, would be Tuesday or Wednesday before Mayo can appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

CCCC sit down tomorrow night and go through the referees report and propose suspension, would be Tuesday or Wednesday before Mayo can appeal

I don't think he should have been sent off but he won't get off. It was intentional. Horgans was accidental, sun was in his face etc.

If the mayo chap gets the all clear, it's 100% saying to the ref: 'you fcuked up big time'

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Amprodude's a cork man
    As a Dub, we didn't moan about going down to Cork in '83. We just got on with the job and walloped them.

I'd give my left arm for a chance to go to a match like that these days. If Dublin and Kerry had drawn in the semi-final last year, which looked a distinct possibility until very near the end, I would have loved for the replay to be taken to Killarney.

Places other than Croke Park exist and are well capable of hosting big matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd be surprised if Keegan didn't get his red card rescinded. If you ask me, it's those cynical fouls on players with a clear shot on goal that should be clamped down on. It might make a full back think twice before tripping or dragging down a player who's on his way towards scoring if he faces the certain prospect of being sent off.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't think he should have been sent off but he won't get off. It was intentional. Horgans was accidental, sun was in his face etc.

If the mayo chap gets the all clear, it's 100% saying to the ref: 'you fcuked up big time'

Referee implemented the rules as they are there - if they overturn it, then its like saying don't bother using the rules in the rulebook. Its there in black and white.

I'd be surprised if Keegan didn't get his red card rescinded. If you ask me, it's those cynical fouls on players with a clear shot on goal that should be clamped down on. It might make a full back think twice before tripping or dragging down a player who's on his way towards scoring if he faces the certain prospect of being sent off.

Thats what the black card is for, those deliberate pull downs and trippings. I can't see how they could - the rule is attempt to strike with minimal force, he kicked out

Should have been a fair few more yellow's today for persistent fouling though

As a Dub, we didn't moan about going down to Cork in '83. We just got on with the job and walloped them.

I'd give my left arm for a chance to go to a match like that these days. If Dublin and Kerry had drawn in the semi-final last year, which looked a distinct possibility until very near the end, I would have loved for the replay to be taken to Killarney.

Places other than Croke Park exist and are well capable of hosting big matches.

The novelty would soon wear off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

How so? Replays don't happen that often.

Thats what the black card is for, those deliberate pull downs and trippings. I can't see how they could - the rule is attempt to strike with minimal force, he kicked out

The black card is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. It's an exercise in mealy-mouthedness. Send the player off and forget about this "replacing him with a substitute" nonsense.

The black card is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. It's an exercise in mealy-mouthedness. Send the player off and forget about this "replacing him with a substitute" nonsense.

it works when implemented properly - its the persistent fouling that isn't being punished

I'm sure the novelty of Croke Park has well worn off for Kerry and Mayo at this stage.

I'm willing to bet that most refs wouldn't have sent Keegan off for an incident like that. It was something of nothing, and the Kerry player was clearly harrying him, which was not visible to the ref from where he was positioned.

What's wrong with it? Punishing the player but not the team. It's an amateur sport after all.

What's your opinion on the yellow card sin bin in rugby? Should they not just be sent off to deal with their actions? None of this "coming back after 10 minutes" nonsense.

You should cheer up a bit Harry, you seem to let a lot of things annoy you! For me personally I was in a great mood after watching that game today.

I'm willing to bet that most refs wouldn't have sent Keegan off for an incident like that. It was something of nothing, and the Kerry player was clearly harrying him, which was not visible to the ref from where he was positioned.

Referees are there to enforce the rules of the game. Not to offer opinion on them.

I'm sure the novelty of Croke Park has well worn off for Kerry and Mayo at this stage.

Not when they're being excluded from the place merely in order to accommodate an American football match.

jjjd wrote: »
    Referees are there to enforce the rules of the game. Not to offer opinion on them.

Common sense seems to be in very short supply these days.

• Advertisement

Not when they're being excluded from the place merely in order to accommodate an American football match.

Both Kerry and Mayo have both played twice in Croke Park in the Championship this year, and the winner of the replay will get to play a third time. Hardly excluded from the place as you put it. The American football game was booked over a year ago.

Common sense seems to be in very short supply these days.

Yes but he can't ignore the rules of the game, now can he?

What's your opinion on the yellow card sin bin in rugby? Should they not just be sent off to deal with their actions? None of this "coming back after 10 minutes" nonsense.

You should cheer up a bit Harry, you seem to let a lot of things annoy you! For me personally I was in a great mood after watching that game today.

At least when a player is sent to the sin bin in a rugby match, the team is down to 14 players so they should, in theory, be at a disadvantage, even if for ten minutes. Replacing a black card player with a perfectly capable substitute is laughable.

Yes but he can't ignore the rules of the game, now can he?

GAA refs ignore the rules every day of the week. How many times do we see players taking too many steps, and the refs do nothing about it?

At least when a player is sent to the sin bin in a rugby match, the team is down to 14 players so they should, in theory, be at a disadvantage, even if for ten minutes. Replacing a black card player with a perfectly capable substitute is laughable.

If you're already on a yellow and then get a black card, then you are not replaced and the team is down to 14 players.

If you're already on a yellow and then get a black card, then you are not replaced and the team is down to 14 players.

But if you're not already on a yellow and you get a black card, then the team remains at 15 players.

What's wrong with it? Punishing the player but not the team. It's an amateur sport after all.

It may be an amateur sport, but it's run by a highly professional organisation.

GAA refs ignore the rules every day of the week. How many times do we see players taking too many steps, and the refs do nothing about it?

So you want to criticise the referee when he doesn't enforce the rules of the game and then also criticise when he does enforce the rule book? He got the red card call correct today, it's clearly defined in the rule book. As harsh as it appears, it was still the right call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Thats like saying Charleville is in Limerick! Doesn't matter - Limerick venue is easier for all the supporters, one of which will be forking out hefty amounts for the All Ireland final itself

Exactly. I seen a woman from meath earlier harping on about the supporters and how the GAA only cares about money.

For Gods sake your saving Kerry supporters the guys of 6 hours driving and Mayo fans about an hour. The money saved on petrol alone for supporters will be great.

People wonder why Kerry don't travel till the final well look up on google maps how long it takes to drive to croke from the kerry football strongholds and you'll see why. They will be out in big numbers for this I reckon and more kerry fans will get to this game then would ever go to croker for match before the final.

• Advertisement

So you want to criticise the referee when he doesn't enforce the rules of the game and then also criticise when he does enforce the rule book? He got the red card call correct today, it's clearly defined in the rule book. As harsh as it appears, it was still the right call.

What I'm saying is that a player who deliberately takes out an opposing player while on his way to scoring is a lot more serious offence than a player who, being goaded and harried, makes an innocuous foul on his opponent. Keegan gets sent off without being replaced, yet in the former incident, the black carded player gets replaced. The rules are a joke, and most refs would have used a bit of common sense with the Keegan incident today and would've given him a yellow. I doubt they'd have faced any censure afterwards.

What I'm saying is that a player who deliberately takes out an opposing player while on his way to scoring is a lot more serious offence than a player who, being goaded and harried, makes an innocuous foul on his opponent. Keegan gets sent off without being replaced, yet in the former incident, the black carded player gets replaced. The rules are a joke, and most refs would have used a bit of common sense with the Keegan incident today and would've given him a yellow. I doubt they'd have faced any censure afterwards.

It wasn't an innocuous foul though, there was clear intent to strike an opponent though. The ref clearly saw it, so had to act accordingly. He would have more to answer for if he bottled it and gave a yellow for a red card offence.

I wouldn't say it is laughable. In that it is a greater penalty to the team than a yellow card. Also, it most definitely penalises the player committing the black card offence, enough to warrant players to not commit the foul in the first place, something which just a yellow may not.

What a second half.

Have to admit I had the obituary wrote for Mayo but with 14 men they deserve huge credit for that phenomenal response. I hope they can seal the deal in the replay and go on and finally bridge that gap between the present and 1951. Keegan let them down badly with petulance and it would be just reward for him if his replacement could do a sterling job and keep him out of the team.

Id imagine few would begrudge Mayo an All Ireland success now and i think neither Donegal or Dublin will fancy playing them too much.
    When they get their game going they are a very hard side to stop. Still very loose around that 40 but have a very potent attack.

As for Kerry, in o'Donoghue they have found a real gem. A joy to watch. Donaghy was Mayo's tormenter in chief on his introduction today and id imagine he may get the nod the next day also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A provision WAS made for a Kerry/Mayo replay. Did you not hear the commentator state that today with 5 mins to go... 'replay next Saturday in Limerick'
    Would you have said at half time today that this game was likely to be a draw.? How can you say that Dubs/Donegal is unlikely to be a draw.?
    Just look at bet fair or paddy power. Not a hope of that game coming close to a draw.

If for example, Cork had drawn with Kerry today in Croker, there would be total outcry if both were asked to travel to Dublin for a replay. Both would be more than happy to play in Limerick. Why should it be any different for Kerry/Mayo. Limerick is still virtually central to both, within reason.
    Horan should concentrate his efforts on getting Lee Keegans red card resinded so he can play next week, which I believe it should be.

You Missed the point. If salt hill had the capacity. Do you think Kerry would be happy to play the match in a ground in Connaught that mayo are very well familiar with.

• Advertisement

What disappointed me about it was Donncha Walshe pointing out to the ref what Keegan did and demanding a card. A bit rich coming from a player who commits more cynical fouls than most in every game.:mad:

Donnacha Walsh acted like aerial Robbin. Very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Very hard to see the red card being rescinded in my opinion. Goldrick was technically correct, many will wish he showed a bit more discretion but the GAA will (and should) stand behind their referee in this situation. Otherwise the group as a whole will be undermined.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Mayo people are really embarrassing themselves with the whinging about the replay venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Mayo people are really embarrassing themselves with the whinging about the replay venue.

No they're not, we are entitled to offer an opinion on where the replay is played.Much prefer the game in Croker myself, it is least the players deserve.The GAA need to reconsider their priorities, the grassroots or commercial considerations.They could easily accommodate the replay in Croke park on Saturday week.I'll say nothing re the decision to put that American football game on in the midst of the peak of the championship season.:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

LaGlisse wrote: »

Colm O'Rourke, Tommy Carr, Ciaran Whelan, Des Cahill, Eamon O'Hara all said it was wrong to play and AI semi final outside of Croker.

Your embarrassing yourself with posts like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement