Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Interesting what you say about taking the middle of the park out of the game.

One of my biggest concerns from a Mayo POV is that Horan and Co. are not fully prepared for something like that, even though its a pretty obvious tactics, and they should have a plan for it.

On the idea that Stephen O Brien could be the main man rather than JOD, I feel that there seems to be a lot of expectation for this guy.

If I'm not mistaken this will be his first only his third SFC game and his first in CP, plus he will be going up against a very experienced and mature Mayo defense, its a big ask for him.
    Oh, no doubt its a massive ask, but wouldn't be the first time Kerry have done this.

Kerry v Donegal 2012, a young inexperienced James O'Donaghue was the main target of Kerry attacks.

Unfortunately he had a bit of a nightmare, with numerous balls hitting off his chest, and generally not much going right for him. We could see the same with Stephen, or we could see a few of them go right and a few goals follow.

I think Geaney is a better footballer (and would be a great target man), but O'Brien has the pace to get in behind for goals.

The reason I say Kerry avoid the physical stuff is based off evidence from the Cork and Galway games. Kerry avoided contact at all cost, especially against a physical Cork side. Everyone was saying Cork/Galway didn't bring the physicality needed, but the fact was Kerry danced around it. Much tougher task to do that against Mayo/Dublin/Donegal, where they have physicality everywhere. We'll see how it goes. If the tactic pays off, then I think Kerry will win. If Mayo turn it into a fight like Cork did to Mayo in the last game, then Mayo should easily be too strong for Kerry.

In Castlebar at the moment (for my sins) and a lot of confident people. Connacht Telegraph with a headline along the lines of "Mayo to send Kerry packing". Total opposite of the usual Mayo buildup to games. Its great for Mayo football that the fans and people are finally confident in the team instead of expecting to be beaten, and then surprised when the team performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Will be delighted if the rumours that Jason Gibbons and Alan Freeman are starting are proven correct,will definitely strengthen the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Oh, no doubt its a massive ask, but wouldn't be the first time Kerry have done this.

Kerry v Donegal 2012, a young inexperienced James O'Donaghue was the main target of Kerry attacks.

Unfortunately he had a bit of a nightmare, with numerous balls hitting off his chest, and generally not much going right for him. We could see the same with Stephen, or we could see a few of them go right and a few goals follow.

I think Geaney is a better footballer (and would be a great target man), but O'Brien has the pace to get in behind for goals.

The reason I say Kerry avoid the physical stuff is based off evidence from the Cork and Galway games. Kerry avoided contact at all cost, especially against a physical Cork side. Everyone was saying Cork/Galway didn't bring the physicality needed, but the fact was Kerry danced around it. Much tougher task to do that against Mayo/Dublin/Donegal, where they have physicality everywhere. We'll see how it goes. If the tactic pays off, then I think Kerry will win. If Mayo turn it into a fight like Cork did to Mayo in the last game, then Mayo should easily be too strong for Kerry.

In Castlebar at the moment (for my sins) and a lot of confident people. Connacht Telegraph with a headline along the lines of "Mayo to send Kerry packing". Total opposite of the usual Mayo buildup to games. Its great for Mayo football that the fans and people are finally confident in the team instead of expecting to be beaten, and then surprised when the team performs.

Wouldn't agree with any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo team is unchanged..up on twitter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Will be there any problems getting tickets for the match on the day in and around Croker ? .... the ones for sale online are pretty bad seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Culchie wrote: »
    Will be there any problems getting tickets for the match on the day in and around Croker ? .... the ones for sale online are pretty bad seats.

Youll get them in the ticket office outside. But they wont be any better than the seats online (probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Culchie wrote: »

Doubt they will be any better. If anything they will be even worse as the ones you now consider to be bad are bought up and your left with the dregs in the corners. Don't expect upper tiers to be opened as the crowd won't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Doubt they will be any better. If anything they will be even worse as the ones you now consider to be bad are bought up and your left with the dregs in the corners. Don't expect upper tiers to be opened as the crowd won't need it.

Are ye mad? :eek: It's an All Ireland semifinal. Of course the Upper tiers will be open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Upper tiers are usually only opened due to demand I thought. For the 2011 semi I vaguely remember that they decided to open the Upper Cusack on the morning of the match. Anyway there will be no problem getting tickets. This will be nowhere near a sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Upper cusak is open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are ye mad? :eek: It's an All Ireland semifinal. Of course the Upper tiers will be open.

Actually just checked and upper cusack is available on tickets.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So is the Upper Hogan. I have friends who have seats up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Has this thread died and the individual sets of supporters retired to their own County discussion threads?

Im just hoping for a great game, and think we have two teams capable of delivering an open exciting game.

Gun to my head - Mayo to pull away with 5 mins to go and win by 3/4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hope to God Kerry win, but fancy to Mayo to get over the line by a few points.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That free was a bit soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

COC will kick them all day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Poor decision by Coldrick. Boyle seemed to have a hold of the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i cant see the so called gap between mayo and kerry , they struggled to beat an avrage cork team last time out , they do have good forwards but i think there defance will struggle agenst the kerry forwards 6 minns gone i reckon kerry by 4 or 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

The tackling and reffing don't make any sense to me, ditto for the minor game. This ref will suit the pulling and dragging tackers.:mad:

• Advertisement

Smashing point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lovely point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

David Moran has started this game brillantly. Great point and spraying the ball around.

Sitter lol

how'd he miss :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Stonewall penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It would have been easier to bury that.

Hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Keeper grabbed him & he was slipping as he kicked, it was a penalty

Should've been a penalty in my view.
    Who's the co-commentator? Tommy Carr? Really doesn't understand the advantage rule.

Another sitter, jaysus lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

how'd he miss :eek:

And another bad miss:D

Both sides fighting for the Bloomer of the Year title here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

shane o brien is having a great game so far, not sure it was a penilty but o connor should have scored seemed to be going to ground before he shot

Looking forward to see how many time AOS lies on the grass today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Would have been a soft penalty, O Connor was slipping as he struck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Thank God Martin Carney's not on co-commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

pushing and hauling and penaltys and no cards ..... but sure you'd ruin the game:rolleyes: And some muppet talking rubbish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Third man tackle in there against Kerry anyway, stopping a Mayo player from making the challenge

Kerry sub being prepared??

edit its Declan O Sullivan on for Stephen O Brien

Ref is far to fond of his fecking whistle.

• Advertisement

Not a bad sub to bring on!

Some very poor wides at this level. From both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think Mayo will need Cillian O'Connor to pick it up a bit if they are to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Christ, if he gave a free for that he surely had to give a penalty to Mayo down the other end...

On a side note, I thought Joe Brolly's swipe at James Horan before the game was unnecessary and uncalled for particularly five mins before the start of the game.

I like Brolly and wish more were like him :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 tv_dinner

Would have been a soft penalty, O Connor was slipping as he struck it

he took far too long to shoot for goal , he need never have come into contact with the keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Players from both sides seem to have trouble handling the ball. Must be the conditions.

Games gone stale in the last 10 minutes after a rip roaring first 10 minutes or so.

Terrible game of football.

• Advertisement

Coldrick is losing control of this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement