Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Tourist Train

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ I think it's a great addition to the town. They seem to be doing well & I hope they will return throughout most of 2015 :)
    Those driving are v-friendly and out-going and those who return have absolute praise. It's great seeing people around the town on the train smiling, laughing and waving out at those they pass :)

This train certainly is great for Killarney,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

A great addition is right. Betwen this and the big red bus, it adds excitement to the town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Listrydude wrote: »
    A great addition is right. Betwen this and the big red bus, it adds excitement to the town!!

Between the train; the shuttle bus; big-red bus and the heritage hop-on/off bus, the taxis must surely be feeling the pinch!
    Even for the races this year with the train reaching Ross Castle, I know numerous people who opted for that fun trip down Ross Road on the train instead of walking or getting a taxi :)

All great additions to our town,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Between the train; the shuttle bus; big-red bus and the heritage hop-on/off bus, the taxis must surely be feeling the pinch!
    Even for the races this year with the train reaching Ross Castle, I know numerous people who opted for that fun trip down Ross Road on the train instead of walking or getting a taxi :)

All great additions to our town,
    kerry4sam

But you'd wonder why people use these services instead of taxis? This tourist train is €8 per adult, I'm unsure of kids prices. A taxi from any of the tourist train collection points to Ross Castle/Muckross House won't cost more than €8 per adult.

So while I agree they look pretty and may be good fun, they are just another way to get tourists money imo. And that is including all of the above mentioned, not just this tourist train.

I know most will probably disagree with this and if you do please just offer a counter argument and change my opinion, don't turn it into an AH style thread like I see happening in other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Good point dobman but i think in a town like Killarney where you get so many tourists and once off visits, the likes of the train or big red bus is a novelty. Also, it's a hop on, hop off jobby and one cost for all. Nothing against taxis in Killarney but they would hardly leave the rank for less than €5 and I imagine getting a taxi from Malton to Ros Castle, waiting, then onto Muckross, waiting again and back would cost much more. Taxi's aren't cheap and you'd get little change from €20 to get to my place 7 miles out. But then again that would be for a taxi full of people so yes, a valid point.

• Advertisement

Listrydude wrote: »
    Good point dobman but i think in a town like Killarney where you get so many tourists and once off visits, the likes of the train or big red bus is a novelty. Also, it's a hop on, hop off jobby and one cost for all. Nothing against taxis in Killarney but they would hardly leave the rank for less than €5 and I imagine getting a taxi from Malton to Ros Castle, waiting, then onto Muckross, waiting again and back would cost much more. Taxi's aren't cheap and you'd get little change from €20 to get to my place 7 miles out. But then again that would be for a taxi full of people so yes, a valid point.

But it's not one cost for all. They are all separate businesses. If it WAS one cost for all then it would be fantastic value. And this train doesn't wait for people at Ross and take them to Muckross and back again. They are separate trips. I just think it's overkill to have all these things in such a small town like Killarney. If they had all got together and made it one ticket for all, then I would see the value in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well, horses for courses.
    Taxis are more for people going home after a night on the town / locals without cars wanting to get somewhere.
    The train would be aimed at the budget tourist or those with kids in tow who will sleeve pull to get on a pseudo choo-choo.
    If you're a tourist who wants to be shaken down in style, hire a jaunting car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I think all these transport options to arrive in Killarney this summer are long overdue, but I think there are too many and not all will last.

If you arrived into Killarney by bus or train and weren't in to cycling and didn't want to pay a premium price for a Jaunting Car then your options of getting to Muckross, Torc Waterfall etc. were very limited (Ross Castle being more open due to walking distance from town).

The various local bus operators offer a one day ticket, some even offer a two day ticket. The Tourist Train is €20 for a family ticket for the day. You could go out to Muckross and spend a few hours there and come back into town for a trip to Ross Castle.

Taxis shouldn't really be used for sightseeing, the cost of it is prohibitive for starters.

I haven't had time to use all the operators yet, but on my next trip home I'm planning on doing the Killarney Shuttle Bus out to the Gap of Dunloe for a few hours.

The Wanderer.

I brought up this subject with a few in work and we were split. Some said good fun, something different. Worth it for a trip to kill a few hours, especially with kids in tow. A novelty. The rest of us didn't see the attraction and thought it was expensive. Different strokes and all that.

Hope anyone that does go on it enjoys themselves though. Always nice to see locals do well even if they're not my cup of tea.

Advertisement